Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

'mirin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ FYI deficit deadlifts are a thing and worth learning how to do, ends up working like a squat/dead combo.

https://barbend.com/deficit-deadlifts-vs-regular/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I tried this but my hips didn't cooperate.

Sounds like you have mobility issues, it's a common thing but it can be fixed with some work. There's a load of stuff on youtube including a quite frankly fantastic channel called 'Squat University' and the guy there focuses a lot on mobility and various exercises to fix your poo poo. Mobility after all stops you from turning into an old person before your time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Hey since this is a YLLS crossover can we talk about fashion and whatnot?

Yes because Americans talking fashion is never not the funniest thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bolind posted:

Just a PSA: rock climbing is awesome in many ways but it's also a great way to get really stubborn injuries in everything in shoulders, elbows and fingers. So don't overcook it. I'm nursing a decade old golfer's elbow because of my ego writing checks my fat rear end couldn't cash.

Ironically I injured my elbow because we got given new desks that I can't comfortably sit at and use a mouse without hanging my elbow off the desk. The lamest of injuries.

In other injury news I was cycling home from work last night, cornered and tried to put down the power too early. Pedal met tarmac and spat me off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Caffeine alternatives to perk myself up at work?

Get some speed, m8.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You'll never stand up straighter than after a deadlift session.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The first time your cockpipe goes numb from a poorly fitting saddle is no joke. Pins and needles in your helmet is not where it's at...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

It's a gym bike, so no saddle change for me sadly. Who has a good fitment guide? They are super adjustable with height and forward/backward adjustments, and maybe a tilt too.

gently caress yeah, 79lbs lost since Jan 2017.

Here you go dude, height and layback is the main thing but also reach as that determines how much weight you place on the saddle vs the bars. From what I remember gym bikes tend to have numbered settings so hopefully you can just remember after setting yourself up the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

Also 79lbs is loving fantastic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

I never feel like I make any progress getting stronger when I lift. Probably a three part problem with one part being consistency , and one part stale routine (not mixing it up and changing up the exercises and sets and reps often enough), and lastly diet. I don't know that I eat enough to get bigger/stronger, but I don't really lose weight either when I try to focus on lifting. I tried 5x5 for awhile but my back and hips are saying "gently caress no" to doing squats or deadlift again. I can't seem to get my hips flexible enough (not OEM hips, either...) to do either well enough to not hurt myself rounding my back, so it ain't worth it anymore.

Any advice or suggested reading/routines? I'll have to wait a bit til I'm healed up but maybe this is something I can focus on over winter before bike season starts back up.

If you're not aware of Squat University, now you are. The advice in here is loving fantastic and there's SO MANY VIDEOS about a million and one different niggles and techniques. Maybe give them a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_I2WZK8IY

His channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyP...2LDvtClw/videos

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I caught it. I guess you'd want to speak to a physiotherapist in your case then.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Doc said I wouldn't be limited in any activity, but in practice I can't get my hips to loosen up. Not sure if it's the hardware or the software at this point, but after tons of stretching I didn't get anywhere.

That's where a physio comes in. Might be worth getting a session or two to see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The maxim goes; 'don't drink your calories' and is the truest truth.

It's like 30 degrees Fahrenheit in my workshop but I have tunes on and am lifting things because I skipped days being ill with the flu.