Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I'm currently 199 lbs at ~6'2" after nearly a year of seesawing down from 230 lbs

I still have my old "Kanye's Workout Plan, 4 days a week" bodybuilding routine kicking around from when I still had a 48" chest with a 28" waist. Completely honest though, I'm tired of lifting weights, I spent 3 years doing almost nothing but lifting weights and eating chicken breast. Plus I have a SLAP tear, so unless I'm doing almost exclusively isometric exercises, lifting in general is out of the question. Cardio sucks donkey dongs because I have pretty bad asthma and piriformis syndrome, so I've been eyeing a rock climbing gym that's ~1 mile from my school... and my buddy keeps trying to get me to box with him

I want to get back to 180lbs by midterms, which also happens to be the week of my birthday. I know only 1 lb a week is the expected amount to lose with diet and exercise, but I spent years dabbling in powdermancy. Come hell or high water, I will be <180 lbs by October 12

E: IIRC this is worthy in the Log Cabin, right? I'll put my money where my mouth is
GOAL: To not hate myself <180 lbs
TIMEFRAME: by October 12
PLAN: active job, low carb diet, and rock climbing/boxing

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

And this link should probably be up in the OP, but it's the YLLS Diet and Exercise questions megathread

It's full of great info and some really patient people

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3483424

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

What's everyone's goals for today? If youd like to put some motivational content up that you may find helpful, feel free to do so as well!

My goal for today is to find that sick rear end poster and put it up over my own toilet
But also to go grocery shopping, so I actually have something to eat that has less carbs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Anyone have some low carb tips to increase fiber intake? I have so much trouble getting to 40g of fiber while staying under 40g of net carbs, even if I'm taking multiple scoops of wheat dextrin

E: a pound of spinach has like 10g of fiber, why does it have to be like this?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 16, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

Usually a Fiber Supplement in one of their various Powder forms will solve all your fiber deficiency issues, without the added carbs. The ones out there today don't taste bad like, as long as you get the fitness supplement versions, and not the disgusting grocery store varieties.
I have one scoop every night with my last protein shake, and it makes a big difference with me being able to stay regular. They also help with weight loss if you're doing the rest of your program correctly.

Maybe I need to switch to psyllium husk then , because wheat dextrin isn't getting me close to where I want to be
My goal today is to actually hit my 40g of fiber goal

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

A set of HF jack stands is $17.

Or if you have extra plates, just stack the unused plates flat on their sides and use those as stands. Unless you're ridiculously tall or have really long legs, a plate or two should do just fine

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

I actually did the plate stacking thing, but once I had a few plates on the bar they wouldn't nock down into the hole on the flat plates, so it would end up just rolling off when I set it down.

E: I dunno how you're supposed measure knee height, but I rested my laptop on my thigh just now and measured to the ground (shin vertical), got an even 24 inches. 6'5" overall. I can reach the bar just fine with knees out of the way... if I hunch my back over like Quasimodo, which is less than ideal for pulling hundreds of pounds off the floor.

Wow, them's some long legs, man. Or maybe mine are really short, my leg is only 20 inches from the heel to the top of the fibula and I'm 6'3"
A power cage would be your friend, but in lieu of a few hundred dollars of lifting equipment, Ryno's jack stands might be your best bet

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Species-Nutr...B00OIC3GKM?th=1
This is the one I use. The mango flavor is pretty good; never tried the fruit punch.

I always want unflavored, but it is good to know that psyllium husk is the way to go. Hopefully they make unflavored metamucil or something

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

jamal posted:

I drink a poo poo ton of lacroix.

I started drinking it to combat cotton mouth, then I kept drinking it to stop the cotton mouth from my real meds, and now I'm addicted to the stuff. I will drink 3 cases a week if I let myself

The only problem is that if I drink it while I'm exercising or really sweating, I'll get dehydrated because it makes me feel less thirsty so I drink less water overall. No clue why

Spam is healthy, right? If it weren't for the pound of sodium, it'd be perfect for my macros

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, I don't think I'm going to hit my fiber goal for today, but I do want to shill for Chronometer. Its food database isn't as massive as MyFitnessPal, but it gives you better calorie and macro options

Plus, watching the bars go up scratches the same itch that video game EXP bars do

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I am consistently hitting ~50% of my fiber goal, which is pissing me off, but I am also consistently hitting my calorie goal, so that's something

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

INCHI DICKARI posted:

And I need to be about 165 lbs with a 32" waist again

Don't we all...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Doing nothing but meal prep today. Hopefully joining the gym goers tomorrow

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rock climbing is muuuuuch harder than I remember it being. My hands gave out after less than 35 minutes on the autobelays and I bouldered until I just couldn't grip the handholds anymore. I'd also prefer to go barefoot, but you know, health stuff means that I can't at a gym

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The best part about feeling like you're dying is that it makes it hard to overeat

bolind posted:

Just a PSA: rock climbing is awesome in many ways but it's also a great way to get really stubborn injuries in everything in shoulders, elbows and fingers. So don't overcook it. I'm nursing a decade old golfer's elbow because of my ego writing checks my fat rear end couldn't cash.

I'm well aware of how bad you can hurt yourself with bodyweight exercises alone, but you're definitely right that I should try something a little less extreme since I'm in much worse shape than I expected

Liquid Communism posted:

Track your calories ruthlessly and honestly for a couple weeks, then go over it for trends. You cannot correct your nutrition until you know exactly what you're taking in, and you may be really surprised what you're eating that has a shitload of calories in it that you wouldn't expect.

Today: Got that 5k in. It was more of a stroll than a jog so it took me most of an hour, but it was nice out this morning.

Along with this, if you're going to seriously track calories, get a good food scale. They're like $12 and are good kitchen tools even if you're not obsessively logging every calorie you eat. You'll quickly find that nutrition labels' serving sizes aren't accurate unless you go by the weight of the food

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

It's also the most accurate way to bake. A cup of flour can hold widely varying quantities (and calories!) depending on how tight it's packed, but 100 grams is always gonna be 100 grams.

Baking is just chemistry, but usually delicious and nontoxic, and may god help the poor bastards who try to do any real chemistry with a teaspoon

But even outside of baking and chemistry, it's good for using European recipes in your kitchen. My grandma was asking to borrow my scale the other day, she has a bunch family recipes from the old country that were written in in mass instead of volume like Americans do. I'm just going to buy her a scale instead. ~$15 so I can try super authentic svickova, knedliky, golubtsy, and half a dozen different kinds of dumplings?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Larrymer posted:

^I don't trust anybody enough to ride on the roads. I stick to the sidewalks on the rare occasions I bike not on trails.

Weighed in at 190.0 this morning, but I won't consider it real until after the weekend when I generally eat worse. However, I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

I've always thought BMI was a dumb indicator of health or fitness since it takes pretty much nothing into account besides height and weight, but still it will be a nice milestone to hit if I lose 1 more pound.

It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places here. At least if you're older than 13

on the (almost) normal BMI! I just squeaked under 25 with this morning's weigh in. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my first of 3 cheat days for this challenge, but it's really satisfying to see a measurable, downward trend. Even if it's only 2 lbs in a little more than a week

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

My BMI is ~31 right now, which is apparently stage 1 obesity. 178cm, 98kg.

Yeah, I have a bit of a gut, but I'm not loving obese

You gotta remember, BMI is a statistical tool, not a diagnostic one. An individual might be not obese at 31, but it's a valid assumption to say that a random group of people with a BMI of 31 are going to be obese
That's why we're treating getting beneath the arbitrary threshold as a little ego boost showing our progress, not the actual goal we aim for

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Caffeine alternatives to perk myself up at work?

Yohimbine

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Wrar posted:

Were you moving furniture and boxes? Is this a euphemism?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Been laid out with a sinus infection all week. I can barely eat, but when I do, I gorge myself because I don't know when I'll be hungry enough to eat again. But I'm doing a lot of work in the garage, so I like to think that it's balancing itself out

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Get a better saddle! If your junk goes numb, you're doing damage to it.

You should be resting on your sit bones, not the squishy bits.

Or adjust the ride height/posture if your current saddle is sufficiently comfortable. Non-bacterial chronic prostatitis is no joke

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

CHEST DAY BEST DAY

I got 135 x15, x12, and x8 today on bench. 2 plates 1 rep is now easy

Daily motivation:

Where do you get your shirts?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I was wrong about the sinus infection, turns out it was mono. I've been laid out for a week and a half, but I can finally eat solid food without coughing up aspirated chunks, so that's nice. I'm getting extremely restless being in bed every day

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I like the stair climbers, it's the only cardio where I can focus on my hamstrings

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The maxim goes; 'don't drink your calories' and is the truest truth.

It's like 30 degrees Fahrenheit in my workshop but I have tunes on and am lifting things because I skipped days being ill with the flu.

I'm pretty sure that half the weight I lose when I do low carb is from no longer drinking beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Not getting fat, getting slim. I just don't have anything novel or interesting to say about it

Keto and construction has gotten me down to 190 and I'm building my chest, abs, and arms up like crazy from it. I've got the great vasculature back in my forearms and I almost like how I look now

I wish I had more time and energy to lift for real, but at least what I'm doing is working for now