Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

I'm pretty into riding bikes. The funny thing is that moving into the socal ai goon house is what got me doing it. Weight had gradually crept up and seeing 212 (6'2) on the shipping scale at work is what really motivated me to do something about it. My roommate and his friends were into bikes and went on group rides so I saved up some cash and found a decent road bike on craigslist. Now at 35 I'm lighter and fitter than I've ever been.

I think the main thing is do what works for you. Run, go to the gym, swim, walk, hike, bike, rollerblade, whatever. Just get out there and do some physical activity on a regular basis. And I generally don't buy the "but I don't have time excuse." Like, how many hours do you spend just sitting around in front of a tv or loving off on the internet every day/week? Probably a lot.

The other side of it is eating better. I ride like 12-14 hours a week, sometimes more, and still don't get to drink all the beer and eat all the candy I want. Mainly the sugary drinks are the worst. I like beer and candy and chips but pretty much never drink anything with sugar in it. Lots of just plain water and then sparking water, iced tea, and diet coke if I want something with flavor. This year though, the biggest thing I did was drink less beer and I dropped another 10-15lbs pretty easily.

And if we're sharing stravas

https://www.strava.com/athletes/157724

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I already screwed up today's goal by not setting my alarm right and missing cyclocross practice. So I guess backup goal is not eat too many snacks over the course of the day, hope the smoke isn't too bad for tonight's group ride, and figure out something light and healthy for dinner.

My longer term goal is to do better at the fall race season than I have in previous years. So keep up with the riding and keep my weight down, which is going to be challenging in the next month as everything around me lights on fire and makes the air quality bad. I should probably have been doing some weightlifting this summer. I did it over the winter and it seemed to help. And then I will have to start doing some actual specific interval workouts on the bike, which I basically haven't been doing all year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I drink a poo poo ton of lacroix.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Had a good bike ride today, now I need to avoid eating all the food.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Air quality went from "good" to "unhealthy" in less than 24 hours here so I'm probably not going outside today. Glad I was on the bike for 4 hours yesterday. Might go lift some weights though since I've been meaning to do this. I found the stronglifts 5x5 when I was looking for some form guidelines and it seems pretty good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ouch. Turns out doing nothing but riding a bike for that last 5 months makes me not so good at anything else. Did some squats, less weight than when I was doing it in the winter/spring, and that was enough for today. Although the air is clearing up so I might go for a quick and easy ride.

E- got out for an hour and a half on the bike too, which makes me feel better about the sitting around, snacking, and moping about the lovely air I did earlier.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've gone through a few sets of new balance minimus trail running shoes and really like them. Super light with a grippy off-road tread. They make regular running and cross training versions as well, and they don't have a lot of cushion so that should be good for weighs and also running form. Only downside is that you might have some sore feet at first from running or long hikes/walks.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Those are some strange power estimates.

Air quality here this morning "unheathy." But it's raining and air is trending better as the afternoon goes on. Right now my riding strategy is go out whenever the air is decent for as long as possible. Yesterday I got in a few miles before dark. I need to do some intervals and a lot of cyclocross practice in the next month or so, and will be happy if I can keep up at least 12hrs a week and stay under 165lbs. And do running remounts a little better.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 20, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

20min of cardio for me is just warming up, but i suppose 20-30min every day vs none is better than nothing. And I guess i can't say what would be better given the same time per week - like an hour every other day instead? And running is a little different where 45min is a pretty decent one for me.

I'm starting to think about doing more specific bike workouts for the upcoming race season. Pedaled hard up a few things yesterday but will need to start doing actual intervals and hill repeats soon. Fitness is pretty good though

https://www.strava.com/activities/1788519089/

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 22, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Useful to actually check the law where you live before making that assumption. Lot of people seem to think that it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk or through a crosswalk or whatever and then just use that to complain about bikes. It is generally less safe though, especially if you are moving any faster than like a slow jog. Getting hit from behind is pretty rare but getting hit from a car turning across you is much more likely, and when you're over in the crosswalk/sidewalk you're harder to see and moving faster than a pedestrian.

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Rode a bike today, put in some work, pretty happy with how it went

https://www.strava.com/activities/1797298281

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Larrymer posted:

If you see a name you don't recognize following you, it may be me.

Also holy poo poo that is some ride. I'll do my "long" ride tomorrow that's like 15ish miles and mostly flat. I think you will surpass my weeks riding total in one day.

That one was pretty easy to figure out. I follow a bunch of goons and don't remember a lot of other screennames though.

And yeah, it kind of escalated because it was a nice day and the legs were feeling good. Main goal was to try to set a pr up that bigger hill, felt good enough at the top to do it again, then decided to get in a few more miles after a snack. And then I like to shoot for even numbers as far as distance, elevation, and time go and wound up staying out a little longer to do that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, that sucks, sorry man. Stationary bike would probably be ok, but personally I hate sitting on the trainer. Suppose if I broke a collar bone I'd have to though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Been putting in some pretty good work on the bike and it was showing at today's group ride. Set some koms and might have hurt some feelings.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1812528504

Glad i got that in and have a big mtb ride planned for tomorrow because I'm at a football game and have been drinking beers and eating chips for like the last 3 hours.

No real goals other for the weekend other than not get too out of control tonight and not hurt myself tomorrow. Next week i need to do an interval session though. Not sure on duration, maybe 1 min efforts. Want to work on the sprinting and hard accelerations for cross.

jamal fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 2, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Haven't done a bike race since the end of June and have been gearing up for cyclocross season. We have 6 local wednesday night beer league races, and then there is a regional series, Potentially I could do like 11-12 races in 6 weeks but that is a lot and I think my current good fitness would really suffer by the end. The race I want to do the best is not until nov 3rd, at a brewery in town.

Cyclocross is kind of weird. You're on a bike kind of like a road bike, but it has bigger, off road tires. And then they put barriers and obstacles in the course so you have to get off your bike and jump over them and then hop back on. Races are like an hour, tops, and then you drink beer.

Yesterday I was out doing some practice with the shop owner's 15 year old son, who is like already faster than everyone in town. starts and sprints and riding in sand practice. Today my goal was to get in a good hill climbing workout, with short hills under 5 min or so. It wasn't bad, and on strava I set some pretty good times and PRs, but I felt a little off. Think turning yesterday's practice with a lot of sprints and hard efforts into a 3 hour ride was a little much for what I wanted to do today. But it's a trade off between getting in good volume and doing more specific work and high intensity stuff. Will have to do better on the next hill interval day and probably just go out by myself and suffer instead of making it a group ride.

Anyhow here's today's ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1837992158

and here's my CX bike

It's got quite a few miles on it now (approaching 8000) but is still in good shape. New bikes pretty much all have hydraulic disc brakes, which mine is missing, but the new calipers I put on last year work pretty well. I also updated the drivetrain to 1x11 which is simpler and less likely to drop chains. This year I'm going to try racing on tubular tires, which you glue onto the rim. I was planning on new wheels, but just a tubeless setup, and then the shop owner gave me some wheels for free. Benefit of still being on rim brakes- lots of guys have old wheels just sitting around that they can't use any more. Downside is that tubulars are about twice as much as a regular cross tire, and getting them glued properly is like a 4 day process apparently.

Near future plans are mountain bike tomorrow, CX practice friday, group road ride saturday, not sure on sunday. Probably won't be fresh enough to do intervals so maybe another road ride. Just trying to plan out a week around getting in workouts and going to group rides and resting is kind of hard. And then you might have a workout planned but you don't feel good or there's a thunderstorm or something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 13, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Good set of intervals today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1846700522

I think. They were hard but I maybe I had a little more. Going harder the pace probably would have fallen off after the first 3-4 instead of being able to do all 10 and finish strong though.

One more week before racing starts, need to work on the skills a little more and order some really loving expensive tires. ugh. Who needs to buy some car parts?

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 17, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Coached some kids on mountain bikes this afternoon then went straight to a group ride. Just got home, so that's like 6 hours on a bike today. Key thing with this whole fitness thing is to try to have fun I think. Otherwise how long are you really going to keep it up? I have been doing some actual on the bike workouts lately and did not particularly enjoy the last one, but most of my riding is still for fun and with friends.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Spent the morning building trail, now I'm just kind of sitting around. it's pretty windy out and looks like it's going to rain and I don't feel motivated to do a bike workout. Last two days were pretty light and I should though. Have a bike race wednesday so an extra day of rest for that would be better than waiting until tomorrow. Guess I'll see what happens outside in the next hour or so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Didn't ride a bike saturday but got out for some sprint intervals sunday. Going to mostly focus on the shorter, high intensity stuff for the rest of the season I think, but also still want to keep riding 12+ hours a week through the end of october.

First cyclocross race tomorrow, should be fun. Between now and november I'll probably do 7-8, then it's winter. Goals are to not crash and keep air in my tires, and hopefully be around the top 5.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm just sitting here eating candy. Wed night race went kind of meh and I felt pretty bad yesterday so I'm just going to get in some rest. Probably no sprint workout tomorrow either.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

^Heh, never really tried 2x workouts but always is crazy to me when I see hollywood dudes say they work out for like 4 hours 2x a day and such.

Pretty sure you need drugs to be able to do that.

If I don't schedule my week fairly carefully and make sure to take rest/easy days I can't really effectively do workouts. No point in trying to do hill repeats or whatever when I'm tired and slow. And I could still probably be doing more but sometimes I'd rather just go ride for fun. Like yesterday I maybe could have been out doing intervals but just went and rode for a couple hours instead.

Cross race last week was fun. They put in a jump

You could go around it if you wanted, or just over those logs. I hear one guy did crash and break a collarbone. Racing there again this week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Have less that 2 more weeks of bike racing left and 3 or 4 races. Have two more wednesday nights, there's one in Helena this weekend, and then the regional series final is nov 3rd here in town at a brewery. cat 1/2/3 race at night and everyone else has been drinking all day so it's a pretty fun time. Goal is to get on the podium in cat 3.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're not aware of Squat University, now you are. The advice in here is loving fantastic and there's SO MANY VIDEOS about a million and one different niggles and techniques. Maybe give them a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_I2WZK8IY

His channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyP...2LDvtClw/videos

Cool. I am always pretty worried I'm doing things wrong. But managed to not hurt myself this spring so there's that. I found the descriptions on stronglifts 5x5 to be really good so that was essentially the workouts I was doing.

https://stronglifts.com/squat/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's winter, and the holidays. Hope everyone is staying active and thinking about how this year went and what they want to accomplish next year.

My last bike race was november 3rd, and then it started getting cold and snowy, so I haven't been doing a whole lot since then. Nice to kind of relax for awhile but I've noticed myself getting slightly less skinny and it's probably time to start getting back into exercising regularly. My legs have not been happy about all the lounging around and a couple of attempts to lift weights and pedal hard went poorly. Did ride and lift today and accomplished about what I wanted. I need to buy some skis. Ideally backcountry touring stuff so I can go spend a few hours walking up and then skiing down mountains but I guess some xc skate stuff would be a less expensive (and safer) option.

21f today. But sunny!

An hour is long enough when it's that cold but it's still better than an hour on a stationary trainer inside. Supposed to stay clear and warm up over the next few days so I plan to keep getting out there. A fat bike would be nice too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 6, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah I meant to make a post in here awhile ago but have been fairly lazy and unmotivated now that it's winter.

Last year I rode my bike a lot and racing went fairly well for me. More miles than I've ever done in a year, I was a solid 10-15 lbs lighter, and overall I was pretty happy with that. I had a few results that weren't as good as I would have liked, especially in cyclocross, so that is one of the things that I want to work on next year. I think more drills, some running, and more actual interval workouts will be helpful for that. I was really great at longer sustained efforts and climbing, but I wasn't really ready for the punchy, short hard efforts you need in cross.

The main things I want to do this year are ride as much as I did last year, but also keep lifting weights once or twice a week throughout the year. I got into it last winter and I think it really helped me early on in the season but then I didn't pick up a weight from about march to december. So that needs to change. Also some running and hiking thrown in, and more of a summer break before cross. I wound up riding a lot in july and august and it was fine, I was just going out mostly for fun, but maybe a week of just not riding at all would be useful.

Right now it's winter so I'm mostly running, riding on a stationary trainer, lifting weights, and occasionally cross country skiing but I have to rent and so haven't been getting out with my mtb group every week. I wanted to be doing 10 hours or so of activity every week but am around 5-6 at best right now, so I need to start picking things up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Felt like my fitness was a little off early in bike racing season but I did have some pretty good results. Won the cat 3 road state championships (but got dropped from the break at the end, I was just the only cat 3 in it), had some top 5 finishes in the weekly mtb series, but then wasn't so great at mtb state champs- 9th. June was basically all mtb racing and hard efforts for a fun strava thing we were doing, and that seemed to work out for the 50 mi mtb race I did a few weeks ago because I won it overall. So that was cool.

Now I don't have a lot going on and just need to maintain a bit of fitness and not gain weight (actually would like to lose 3-5 lbs) before cyclocross starts. Plan to put some more work into my cross skills and try to figure out some specific training and workouts this year to try to do a little better. Probably means I'll have to do some running and hiking, which I haven't done since like march.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 25, 2019