Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

gently caress it. Since we're encouraging each other, here goes.
Height: 6'2"
Weight (current): 245
Weight (goal by year-end): 215
Weight (stretch goal): 205

I've been massively overworked, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I run my own business from my house, and there's very little physical exercise built-in anymore. I've been 230-235 for several years, and suddenly put on another ten pounds in the past 2 months. That's gotta go!

I used to work on boats doing sampling and whatnot 200+days per year. I ate like a horse, and was about 255#. Switched to low-carb in 2009, and proceeded to drop 50# in 6 months. Then I developed an egg allergy which totally hosed up my morning ritual of 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon/sausage. Breakfast became an English muffin and peanut butter and jam. Then 2 of the same. I still dont eat much pasta, potatoes, bread, or rice at dinner, but I'm eating too many carbs for breakfast and lunch. Zero carbs via liquids, either (don't drink, no soda, no fruit juice). I just need to back down on portion sizes and get back into some form of exercise. I've got a a bike and trails right behind my house, so zero excuses. Hell, just walking for 30 minutes around lunch would help a bunch. I've got a Strava, but never use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

Being lovely at riding mountain bikes.

It's usually either that or hockey that causes broken collarbones. Or horse riding. Rest up, you can still do leg exercises.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Leg day had ... issues. Did an easy set of squats at 135, ten reps. Put on 185, decided to get out the box just so I could keep depth consistent. Did two semi box-squats and then felt a sharp loving pain in my low back. So much for that. Dropped to 135 and just went slowly, did light stuff the remainder of the workout. Still stiff and with a vague discomfort in the low back just left to midline, so I just skipped the gym today altogether. Ugh.

Have someone who knows what they're doing watch your form, or record it on your phone. I'll bet you're not using correct form, and putting undue pressure on your lower back. I certainly do if I'm not really careful when I do squats.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

There are plenty of routines you can do to get your cardio and muscle game on that don't need any equipment, other than maybe something decent underfoot.. and a bit, but not much, room.

Give something like this a try 4 times a week for a month and see how you feel. If you can do more than 4, great. It's not going to make you into a fine tuned machine on its own, buts it's a decent short routine that doesn't take a huge commitment.

3 sets of each. Should take all of about 15 minutes.

15 minutes, LOL. Maybe if you're not a widebody like me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

That's fair.

Take your time and modify. My advice would be if it's really tough start with 1 set but you want to keep your heart rate up so don't take too much time. For the push ups and plank you can drop to your knees and do a straight arm plank (like a push up) instead of elbow plank. Eventually as your strength and stamina improve you can try to do them as described and you'll feel accomplishment as your abilities increase. The nice thing with exercises like this is you need nothing to do them and minimal space. Heck, I do most of my exercises barefoot because that's how I practice my sport.

I like this simple set because it has some core work in it. Core strength is such a huge thing but is neglected by so many people, even those that train regularly and "look" healthy.

Give it a shot! Baby steps! Any regular exercise activity is better than none.

Yup, I made it through all three sets, but needed a break between them. Heart rate was between 120 and 150 during each set. I've really needed to get off my rear end and get back in shape for several years, and I've been going on at least 30 minutes walls around the neighborhood and hiking when the weather is nice. This will add to that, and doesn't take long. The wife's on board too, she dragged out our Wii and balance board a few weeks ago.

I was in pretty solid shape back in 08-12, but several factors have led to my downfall. I've finally got decent insurance so I can go get my back looked at, hopefully get my egg allergy dealt with, and get PT once quarantine eases a bit. Thanks for posting that, it's saved on my phone and I've asked my wife to respond me to do them MWF.