Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Today's workout was fighting with my too short jack and tire to replace an ABS sensor.

Debating if I want to lift weights tomorrow or do the water aerobics workout.... Or both. Either way, I'm replacing the blend door actuator on my truck afterwards. (I'd do it tonight but some idiot(me) told the store the wrong part number....)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Water aerobics bitches. What.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll race you bitches.
Soon as I get over this fever.

I'm already at 3x225 and 5@200, so it won't be long.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Every weight routine is going to have squats and deadlifts, so work on learning how to do those properly would be where I'd start.

Both lifts have the hip hinge as part of their movement, and learning how to do that really helped me a lot. It'll be necessary for other things, too, like fuckin kettlebell swings, or what you'd find in other programs.

Can you get by without doing those? Yeah... But then you may be spending way too much time doing other exercises to make up for them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Suburban Dad posted:

Maybe you guys both missed that I have two hip replacements and maybe those are out of the question...

Still, I'll check out the links.

No, I missed that, but now that I look again I see it. So, yeah, I don't know. Definitely talk to a physio first.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Ok fine race YOU to it. I am literally right there at 225x3 and 195x5 but I'm gonna go for max reps on 225 tonight with the Mrs' balls in my face to see where I really am.

Go for it. It'll be a minute before I am on bench day, but I might do it earlier just out of spite.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The best, even.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Ok fine race YOU to it. I am literally right there at 225x3 and 195x5 but I'm gonna go for max reps on 225 tonight with the Mrs' balls in my face to see where I really am.

Where ya at, sucka?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I did our group workout tonight and managed fine. I might go tomorrow and just bench to see what I can manage. Just depends if I feel well and if this fever is gone for good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
drat right. I'm starting to feel and see more definition in places, so now I want to work harder to make that definition clearer.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Squats are Monday, which means my bench day will be Wednesday or Thursday. Let's see how many at 225 I can get after my regular workout :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Update: oh my gently caress. I just did 135x12 and 155x12 and then struggled through 155x6 and 135x5. This may take a while.

Weak.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yo momma.

Actually nothing. I am weak too, bröthēr.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Skwaaaats today. It was tough. You can see my log for the rest.

Bench day is Wednesday or Thursday depending on my schedule with other stuff this week.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Well?

Did 165x10 and 175x10 randomly at home. Felt super confident in it. Gonna creep up to 225 hopefully.

Individuals in my life don't have their shirts together and it adversely affect my life and schedule. I'll be lifting tomorrow and I'll update ya.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Heading to the gym in a bit. We'll see how light 225 is...

Benching 5@155, 5@175, and 5@200 first.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Motherfucker. 5x200 was fine. I could only do 1x225. I've done more in the past, and I'm pretty pissed.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yeah, seriously my body is on some bullshit.

That's alright, I'll try again later this week (schedule permitting) and see what happens. I'll go for 225 directly instead of doing my workout first.

Real talk that weight not wanting to come up is a little scary. First time that's happened.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Why flat?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlifts tonight. I love deadlifts and now I'm able to pull decent weight without straps....and as I'm typing this I realize I'm basically pulling my bodyweight - Did 5x330 and I'm 343ish. Also squatted 5x225, 260, and 295.

If things go as planned (and they drat well better), I'll be doing OHP and benching on Saturday and I'll give 225 a run for its money.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay, nearly no one in the gym, no stress and no rush. I got 2x3@225, then 1@225. The rest will be in my log later; I am sitting on the end of the bench writing this :v:

I suppose if I hit a set of ten I'll have to have a video or something as proof?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Tear or bruise? :ohdear:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Keep an eye on it. No use tearing up your shoulders for an internet challenge. Granted, I tore mine and had no outward signs of it, but still.

You dropped a barbell on yourself, didn't you?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

DONT TELL ME HOW TO LIVE

look here you little punk you tear that poo poo up then i beat you to 10x225 AND i'll keep going and beat you to 10x315 while your weak little gurly arms have to heal up and try to get strong again

Does that sound tough enough? I'm not very good at mean tough guy talk.

What I'm seeing in this thread is basically shoulder joints are poorly designed for lifting :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
MORE BENCH FOR BENCH GOD

3x3@225, 1x1@225

Soon.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

UGH ITS KILLING ME (nice work)

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

No, it isn't. You're just a weak babby.

No apology here.

No apology here, either.

Hey, yeah, no. Keep working at it!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yessss

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fender Anarchist posted:

This spreadsheet was demoralizing at first but like a fine wine it only improves with age.

drat right. That looks to be about 1.7lb per week, which is right in the range of 1-2lb per week for healthy weight loss rate. Keep it up!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh you fucker.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
But, six ain't ten, so I ain't frettin.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This will have to wait until next week...ish. Broke traction on the bench and just about dropped 225 on my neck. It was already slick, I scrubbed it and thought I had whatever made it slick off of there, but I didn't. I was doing the third rep of my first set of 225, slipped back on the bench, and couldn't get the bar up; it was caught on the hooks somehow. Yeah, not fun, and not a single rear end in a top hat at this Y bothered to help or even ask if I was fine.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm good, was just shook up and mad. Next time I'll just go to the Y by my house (this one is on my way from work) where the benches are better.

E: I was, and still am, more mad that no one bothered to help. Like, I get stared at when I come in the gym, but no one bothers to help someone in trouble. Fuckin people.

Anyway, I'm fine. I'll get 10x225 soon. I'm not injured and won't worry about it further.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 19, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Because your weakness is holding me back. Ugh. I could feel it leaching my strength over the internet. Ugh.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yesterday was leg day. Lots of squaaaaaats. Managed to do 2@330 then 5@330.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Finally have some time to bench. Let's see what gets done today.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
5,3,3,3,3,1@225

Turns out, watching Jeff Cavalier and taking his tips seriously means some serious gains.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm 32, and yeah. That not healing quickly thing sucks. Better than surgery, I guess.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
https://youtu.be/vthMCtgVtFw

It was that video. My bench form was bad, really, but it was just off a little bit in a lot of areas. Made sure to watch his video, make some mental notes, then incorporated them into my workout.

Deadlifted 1x405 yesterday, which I've done before, but the difference this time is that it's 60lbs over my bodyweight.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yeah, I've not been this week. Same with end of semester stuff, but at least now I'm waiting on IRB approval for my dissertation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hol' up. Why is this thread on the third page? Why is the last post a month ago? Why is the gym crowded as gently caress right now?

Slow start to the year. Did a leg workout last week, wasn't happy with it, so I redid it this week. Unless my schedule fucks up, I'll be doing chest / shoulders on Friday. I received a throwing hammer from my wife for Christmas, so now I can be an official Highland Games athlete and start training for that, too.