Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Honestly, right now I'd just be happy to be back and normal in the gym by the end of the year.

Background: I was extremely active for years before this, going to the gym at least four times a week and lifting heavy (my 5RM squat and deadlift were both over 400 and my squat on a good day could push 470), but since July of last year I've been sidelined with a bunch of pinched nerves in my neck. I've been doing physio fairly intensively since then, and I've had both good days and bad days (more good than bad lately), but I'm sick and tired of the bad days period. The knock on effect of this injury is it has made sleep difficult at times; right around when I started physio, I was maybe getting a couple hours of quality sleep a night, which had all kinds of very negative effects on both my physical and mental health.

I'm 6'1" and 205 or thereabouts, but in the intervening year since I've been able to lift hard, I've gone a bit soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I am in South Boston, VA [see: bumfuck] all this week and also coming down with something sinus related. This will not deter me from finding a gym with a weekly rate, and infecting the good people of Southern Virginia so that we may hopefully begin the process of creating a race of genetically altered super-hilbillies.

As a gym-goer and odd-time gym-worker myself, don't go to the gym when you're sick plzkthx. It's an excellent place to make everyone else who goes there sick, which is kind of a dick move.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

My physiotherapist has cleared me to return to the gym to do stuff other than rehab exercise.

Get hyped.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MrChips posted:

My physiotherapist has cleared me to return to the gym to do stuff other than rehab exercise.

Get hyped.

Trip report - finally went and did some non-rehab poo poo at the gym; starting out easy on the machines rather than free weights for now. It went better than expected, but there is still some lingering issue through my left side, as I could literally feel the muscles tightening up hard through my upper back, shoulder and chest as I did some bench presses, as well as a couple of big ugly clicks through my T6-T8 vertebrae when I rolled out on the foam roller, but other than that, it was a pretty positive overall!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Every day should be leg day. Squaaaaats.

I don't do leg day because every day is leg day motherfuckers!

(No seriously, upper body workouts are a pain in the rear end right now)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I did a deadlift today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I had a setback with my neck and shoulder a couple days ago, so back to physio.

Fortunately I think I've worked out what's triggering it, and that thing would be bench press.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Shoulder joints are just plain poorly designed period.

It's like the prime subcontracted them out to Chrysler or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I wish my yes wasn't hosed up, because I'd show you kids a thing or two, with my 235x12x3 like it ain't no thang.