Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bobby Flay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The figure of liquid silver stands through the exit of its competitor, and narrows its eyes at Fieri's display of power... and poor taste. This will be an uphill battle, and with two judges whose prowess and knowledge is deeply respected to impress, along with the God-King of Flavortown. Only one thing will do. A recipe is sketched out in grease pen on a sheet of butchers paper, substitutions are made, and a trip to the grocery is quickly completed. Soon the cameras return, and the naked chef is prepared to get to work.

"Chef Fieri has given us an ingredient that requires great creativity to use well, and I cannot help but enjoy a challenge. The traditionalist cuisine of my early training would have no idea what to do with such a thing as sweet cereal, relegating it to at best a crumb coat on a torte." It grins, grabbing a quarter hotel pan from the shelves of kitchen implements stocked in the Stadium. "I have learned more interesting ways since."

The pan is shortly filled with fillets of chicken breast, which are then covered in buttermilk and pickle brine before being set aside to marinate. As it does, the chef moves on to the next stage of the work, chatting pleasantly with the camera as sweet potatoes are frenched and set into their own pan of water to soak. "This is really a fusion of two simple recipes, really. On one hand, the simple but exquisite fire of hot chicken, on the other a fun twist on the classic chicken tender."

A heavy bottomed pot is put on the stove, set to low heat and both butter and lard are added from the staples to slowly melt. Three bowls are set up assembly-line style on the counter leading to the stove, and carefully filled. "The trick here is a proper crisp crust that won't get soggy too quickly, and will stick to the chicken well."

The first bowl is filled with flour, liberally seasoned with black pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. The second contains an egg, well beaten with a bit of milk and a hefty dose of hot sauce. The third is, of all things, the children's cereal, crusted into the consistency of breadcrumbs.

"In a more traditional preparation, we'd dredge the chicken and fry it in the butter and lard, but in this case that would make the coating too greasy. So instead we fry these strips in peanut oil, and pull them out golden brown and delicious." Matching actions to words, Liquid soon has the chicken patted dry from its marinade, breaded, and handed off to a sous chef to fry. "At the same time, our sweet potatoes, which have been soaking to lift some of the starch, can be drained and fried as well."

"Now, for the fun part." Taking up a whisk, it stirs the butter and lard mixture. "The sweetness of the cereal breading needs something to set it off, and that something here is a proper hot coating." Whisking all the while, several spices are cast ceremoniously into the pot, from pinches of the same salt, pepper, and spices used in the chicken seasoning to brown sugar and solid fistful of cayenne pepper. The smells coming off of the fats are pungent and smoky, and the sauce is dyed a bold red by the peppers. "Beautiful."

"Plate it up piping hot, and we're ready to blow the judges' socks off." Three baskets are dug out and lined with butchers' paper, followed by a slice of sandwich bread in each. "This is going to drip a bit, and no sense wasting that flavor." The crispy chicken is brushed with the pepper sauce, coating it entirely, then arrange just so atop the bread slices, and garnished with a sprig of parsley.

"So there we have it. Nashville-style hot chicken in a cereal crust, with sweet potato fries."

code:
Shopping List:
Chicken - 10 - [b]Star Ingredient[/b]
Sandwich Loaf - 4
Sweet Potato - 4
Bell Pepper - 4 - Stored
Onion - 4 - Stored
Celery -4 - Stored

Chicken - Deep Fry
Sandwich Loaf - Raw
Sweet Potato - Deep Fry

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I am also interested in Chef Flays presence on the field.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
I'd like to hand my ground beef to Rachel Ray for her approval
And I will see what Bobby Flay is cookin

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

“Alright, we are 24 Hours into this match up...” Alton Brown took the action in. He leaned forward fingers interlocked.

“I think it’s safe to say that our fellow Councilor in his... infinite playfulness has thrown in an ingredient that seems to have caught everybody off guard. Not that I blame them... Nothing but three, maybe four kinds of sugar, and maybe the odd cereal grain if you’re lucky. There ain’t a whole lot you can do with it, but focus on something sweet, or sweet-savory maybe.”

Alton looked to his right to Morimoto, hoping that he’d talk, but the Councillor looked like he had swallowed a lemon. Morimoto didn’t look in Guy’s direction, but he was clearly staring daggers at Guy. Guy meanwhile was focused on Kitchen Stadium loving every minute of it.

Alton, not daunted by the silence just carried on. His analytical eyes caught one chef and a smile crossed his face.

“Liquid Carmelization seems to have risen to the challenge with using the cereal to bread the chicken. That’s a fine use for that ingredient, but not the only one. We also have to remember that with all that sugar, they’re going to absorb whatever moisture, and maybe flavor, that goes into it. It gets softer and more palatable.”

Alton had another thought, but stopped it in its tracks when he saw Bobby Flay emergedfrom the Interdimensional Grocery Store. A few Chefs gather around him taking notice of the food he’s carrying. He deposits it all at a near workstation, and turns to the other chefs with a showman’s grin.

“Whaddaya say we have a little throwdown?”

*_*_*_*

Bobby Flay has entered the challenge; he is competing against all of you.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Weener Beater posted:

I'd like to hand my ground beef to Rachel Ray for her approval

Rachel Ray smiles and accepts your ground beef. "Thanks! That's just what I'm looking for. I won't forget this." She winks.

Rachel Ray will judge you more favorably if she is judge.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Rachel Ray smiles and accepts your ground beef. "Thanks! That's just what I'm looking for. I won't forget this." She winks.

Rachel Ray will judge you more favorably if she is judge.

Ugh. I was hoping to get back blessed burger

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Mari smiles at the camera.

OK, well.. I don't really have all that much ambition as a chef. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking - but I love my life back in Fairyfield and would really just like to return back to the woods when I'm done here. I don't think I'd be here if a fortune cookie didn't tell me I was supposed to.

She blushes, then continues.

I think I'm a pretty simple person? I just want to put magic out into the world, hopefully leave it a better place than it would be without me. Preparing food for people has been my conduit for this - nothing makes me happier than knowing someone else is enjoying something I made them.

Breakfast cereal is definitely within my comfort zone as an ingredient! My friend Lucky was a spokesperson for one of those cereals, I can't remember what it was called. Irish something-or-other?

Anyways - when I saw this ingredient, I immediately thought "dessert". I came here to show the world that fairies can make more than desserts, and I fully intend to prove that along the way - but they're still my favorite thing to make. Who doesn't love dessert? It's the best.

Mari skips over to the grocer and purchases the following;

cereal - free
banana - 4
strawberry - 4
white chocolate - 4
peanut butter - 4 (star ingredient)
almonds - 4

I'm friends with a troll named Keane who lives under a bridge a few miles away from me. He's a really nice guy, once you get to used to his sense of humor. One thing that I never quite understood about him - he likes getting into debates about whether or not things are sandwiches. For the longest time, I just assume that was an argument that trolls like to get into. and I thought nothing of it.

But one day, I saw a human family having a picnic in the woods. I didn't want to interrupt their day - I just observed them. And that's when I saw something that made me understand where my friend was coming from: the children asked their mother for an "ice cream sandwich". The mother reached into a cooler and pulled out these pre-wrapped.. I dunno, like a pre-packaged chocolate thing with vanilla ice cream in it? I'm sorry, but that is not an ice cream sandwich.

She crosses her arms, then catches herself and relaxes a bit.

I don't really know if that's what the average human thinks an ice cream sandwich is, is it? Rather than feel resentment, I wanted to be helpful and present an alternative that humans might like a lot more.

She then prepares her dish:

1. She re-creates her fire from the last challenge, this time placing a long flat stone with waffle-y holes in it over the fire.
2. Working quickly but methodically, uses her mortar and pestle to mix/crush the cereal and almonds together into small pieces. She pours the mixture into a bowl.
3. She then does the same to the white chocolate, making white chocolate chips and setting them aside
4. She creates waffle batter using flour, eggs, milk, oil (all kitchen staples?)
5. She then peels the banana before dicing it and the strawberry into tiny pieces.
6. She pours a third of the waffle batter onto the hot stone, allows it to heat, and then flips it over to heat the other side. She repeats this process three times, and then sets them aside, allowing them to cool.
7. She creates peanut butter ice cream using peanut butter and (kitchen staples), stirring white chocolate chips into it.
8. Finally, she starts stacking the ingredients, from bottom to top:
  • a waffle
  • a scoop of peanut butter ice cream, spread evenly over the waffle
  • a layer of the crushed cereal/almond mixture
  • another waffle, with a very thin spread of peanut butter on top
  • a layer of the diced strawberry/banana mixture over the peanut butter
  • the last waffle
9. She sprinkles some confectioner's sugar on top of the sandwich and cuts it into quarters.

code:
Ice Cream Club Sandwich
---
waffles [kitchen staple]: hot stoned (:350:)
**peanut butter** : ice creamed
white chocolate (chipped): ice creamed 
breakfast cereal (crushed): raw
almonds (crushed): raw
strawberries (diced): raw
bananas (diced): raw
I'm not really the type to shoot for the stars, I just like trying to brighten people's day a little. Hopefully this dish conveys that!

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 29, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Meleager stands adrift in thought, mind racing as to how best to use the required ingredient in a dish that also meets the theme of the competition. His eyes flash - he has it. A brief trip into the Grocery and he emerges, basket piled with ingredients. He begins by preheating an oven to 350* and setting the raisins to soak.

"For those limited to exploring time solely in a forward direction, the experiences available to those of my time who are not so constrained may be difficult to comprehend in their totality. Some of my peers have made a study of the architecture of the past, others focus on anthropology and similar sociological constructs. For me - my path has been that of the culinary enthusiast. By learning the culinary techniques of the past, of delving into the food of cultures now long lost, those cultures can, in at least a small part, live on eternal. The dish I know make is such a historical dish."

He brings a pot to boil, and adds the egg noodles. 5 minutes of cooking and he drains the water, leaving the noodles in the pot. In a food processor, he blends the eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, sugar, melted butter, and salt.

"This dish was a favorite of a minor religious sect on Old Terra. Food played a central role for these worshippers, with each festival and holiday having its own set of traditional dishes. The dish I'm now preparing was enjoyed at many times and in many forms, from savory versions to the more sweet variants such as the one I am now preparing."

He combines the beaten mixture with the noodles, then drains the raisins and adds them to the pot. The pot is then emptied into a cooking spray coated baking pan.

"This dish is often topped with crumbled breakfast cereal - may this new interpretation prove fruitful."

The breakfast cereal is crunched, then lightly topped over the dish. The entire creation is then placed in the oven.

"And now...we wait."

And so he does, turning the dish after half an hour, and pulling it out of the over after the full hour.

"Beautiful...but we cannot enjoy just yet."

After allowing it to sit for another 15 minutes, Chef Omrid slices portions for each judge, and presents.

"The dish can be enjoyed hot, or cold. Please - enjoy."

Chef Omrid's Desert Kugel

raisins - 4 - Baked
Wide egg noodles - 6 *Star Ingredient* - Baked
2 large eggs - 4 - Baked
sour cream - Baked
Cottage cheese - 4 - Baked
Cream cheese, softened - OR farmer's cheese, crumbled (1 cup) - Baked
Sugar - Baked
Unsalted butter, melted - Baked
Salt - Baked
Breakfast Cereal, Crumbled - Baked

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2018

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Weener Batter, enters the kitchen arena, head bowed, perhaps a bit humbled by his middle of the pack showing in the first round. He raises his eyes and addresses the judges.

"Noble Judges, i accept you feedback and criticisms with humility and I hope to step up my game. You have asked us to cook a dish that shows you our culinary mastery and the maturation of our cooking style. As you know I have come from humble beginnings, a swamp actually. And my culinary journey has taken me to places and heights undreamed. I have studied the mystic arts and the most advanced cooking techniques. And I have come to realize that when the science of cooking becomes sufficiently advanced, it is indistinguishable from magic."

" Watch as I transform these strange ingredients into a dessert worthy of your praise!!, "

Weener starts by first taking some Jalapeno Peppers, slicing them into wide long strips after removing the stems and seeds. He then In a large pot, brings cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic, tequila, and cayenne pepper to a boil. He adds the pepper slices and simmers. He then transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars and adds the boiling syrup.

"With this process and a little bit of time magic we now have Candied Jalapenos. They retain their heat with a little bit of sweet."

" Next we will take fresh blueberries and make a tart ice cream." Weener pours milk, heavy cream, and sugar into a blender, mixing until smooth. He purees half the blueberries and adds them to the mixture and puts it into ice cream machine.

"And now to address the challenge ingredient. I will first star with a dark chocolate base. We need that bitterness to counter balance the sweetness of the breakfast cereal." He proceeds to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, then reduces the heat to a low simmer. He then musters his magical scientific might and crushes the breakfast cereal into small pieces without turning it to powder. "Using this science technique I add the cereal to the chocolate mixture and turn off the heat. The science keeps the cereal from getting soggy and will add a sweet crunch to the chocolate coating."

"Now for the final assembly." Weener takes the long candied Jalapenos and lays them out on wax paper. Using Science he cools them to firm sticks which he then coats in the chocolate/cereal coating. He plates the blueberry ice cream in a bowl, tops it with a few fresh blueberries. He add 2 of the chocolate / cereal/ Jalapeno sticks to each dish.

"Behold Judges, a complex dish of complementary flavors. The heat of the candied Jalapenos is tempered by the rich bitterness of the chocolate, and the sweetness of the cereal. The soft candied center is complemented by the cereal crunch. And the cool tart ice cream can cut the heat and the sweet as you please"

Sugar Cereal - Science
Dark Chocolate - 8 -Boil
Blueberry- 4-Ice Creamed, Raw
Jalapeno Peppers (star ingredient) - 4-Candied, Science

Chicken.- 10 saved

26 gold

Weener Beater fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Eat glowered at the box of cereal that had been shoved into his hands. The brightly-colored parrot on the front was holding out a bowl of the stuff, with a speech bubble proclaiming that Sugar-Frosted Lööps of Frööt were the greatest legally distinct cereal on the market, with real fruit-like flavors. He tore the box open, pouring Lööps out over his counter, examining them warily. Finally, he lifted one to his mouth and tasted it, frowning.

“This food… is WEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK! It is an AFFRONT to STRONG CUISINE! And you would have me COOK with THIS?” he glared at Guy Fieri as he picked up a fistful of cereal, crushing it in his meaty grip. “VERY WELL! Even in the WEAKEST of ingredients, there is a HINT of POTENTIAL! And I would be a TERRIBLE PRACTITIONER of STRONG COOKING if I couldn’t DRAW OUT THAT STRENGTH! But I will need MANY MORE LÖÖPS!”

“FIRST, we’re going to take ALL OF THIS CEREAL,” he gestured towards the boxes he had gathered, “and because it’s WEAK, we’re going to have to REBUILD it from the GROUND UP! And to DO that, we GRIND IT UP, until it’s been reduced to a FINE POWDER of its BASE COMPONENTS! Next, we ADD WATER! This is going to give us a HORRIBLE FRÖÖTY SLURRY! Purging WEAKNESS is not a PRETTY PROCESS! What we’re going to do NOW is REDUCE the slurry, gradually adding ADDITIONAL FLOUR and MORE SUGAR as we DO SO! This is going to help it SHAPE UP into a consistency somewhere between a SYRUP and a ROUX! This is going to TAKE a WHILE!” While he speaks with his usual bombast, Eat is clearly not as confident in this as he was in the trifle. This is an ingredient that he was not ready to deal with, and the result is an improvisational scramble.

“While we WAIT for our REDUCTION, we’re going to SOAK some ALMONDS and WALNUTS! This would normally TAKE LONGER, but our JUDGES have been so GENEROUS as to furnish the kitchen with a TIME CHAMBER. After they’ve SOFTENED UP in there, we’re going to take some HEAVY DUTY STRING, and we’re going to STRING THEM UP, along with some RAISINS! That’s right, just PIERCE them RIGHT THROUGH THEIR HEARTS, and now we HANG THEM UP TO DRY! Thanks, TIME CHAMBER, for making this POSSIBLE TO TELEVISE.”

“FINALLY! We have our RAISIN-NUT STRINGS and our FRÖÖT SYRUP! You can probably GUESS what happens NEXT! We DIP the STRINGS in the SYRUP, give it TIME TO SET, and then DIP IT AGAIN! AND ONE MORE TIME FOR GOOD MEASURE! And we go to the time chamber ONE LAST TIME, because these will take DAYS for the CRUNCHY EXTERIOR to PROPERLY HARDEN! But now, we have our FINAL RESULT: FRÖÖTY CHURCHKHELA, which we’ll serve along with a scoop of VANILLA ICE CREAM! I understand it LOOKS like a large, strangely colored STRING BEAN, but TRUST ME: the flavors at work here are STRONG! NOT BAD for the WEAKNESS we STARTED with!

Frööty Churchkhela posted:

Purchases:
Almonds - 6
Raisins - 4
Cane Sugar - 6

Recipe:
Frööt Lööps - Science **STAR INGREDIENT**
Flour (Kitchen Staple)- Science
Sugar (Kitchen Staple)- Science

Almonds - Candy (star ingredient if the cereal is ineligible)
Raisins - Candy

Cane Sugar - Ice Cream
Vanilla Extract (Kitchen Staple) - Ice Cream
Milk (Kitchen Staple) - Ice Cream

Leftovers:
Bear Steak
26 Gold

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 30, 2018

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Alton Brown stares on at the Chefs, hoping that everybody completes this challenge.

“We’re 24 hours away from the end of this challenge, and it looks like a few more Chefs have their dishes ready for the judges. Meanwhile it looks like Bobby Flay is prepping some chicken, and I see what looks like some off-color tortillas. What are those Chef?”

Bobby Flay Turns to Alton, his face the picture of confidence.

Those... are Froot Loop corn tortillas.”

“Uh… what do you mean by that?”

“Froot loops ground to powder and mixed with a little masa. Mix ‘em with water, let sit, and cook ‘em till they’re done.”

“Ah, yes. Sounds like enchiladas.”

“Not just any enchiladas. They going to have stir-fried chicken, almonds, plantains, and raisins for a mole that’s going to blow the competition out of the water.”

“You sound pretty sure about that Bobby.”

“I’m at the top of my game, and this really shouldn’t be that difficult. Would I steer you wrong about my cooking?”

“Well when you put it that way…”

“It’s a trick the Mexicans had for mole. Instead of chocolate, they’d put dried fruit and add flavor to the meat, and bake it.”

“Ah, so you’re playing with the ingredient’s... ‘Froot-iness?’”

“Like I said. This is a no-brainer.”

pre:
Coloradito Mole Chicken Enchilada

Sugar cereal [PAN FRIED] - [Mandatory]
Masa [PAN FRIED] [Kitchen Staple]

Chicken [STIR FRIED] -10 *STAR INGREDIENT*
Plantain - 4 [BAKED]
Raisins - 4 [STIR FRIED]
Almonds, crushed - 6 [BAKED]

Salt, cumin, allspice [STIR FRIED] [Kitchen Staples]
Cocoa Powder [STIR- FRIED] [Kitchen Staple]
Onions - 4 [STIR FRIED]

Total - 28

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 30, 2018

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Anova wand went back to work, sending in an empty basket and coins, and retrieving a full basket laden with chocolate, espresso powder, mascarpone, a requisite box of Coco Puffs courtesy of Guy, and... a bundle of asparagus and some potatoes.

The chef threw the asparagus and potatoes straight into the fridge, thankfully, and proceeded to make some espresso. After doing a shot of it, he set up a double boiler on the stove. Into it went a chunk of butter, some espresso, and some roughly broken dark chocolate. After letting that melt over the double boiler for a few minutes, he whisked it together until well combined and shiny, then set it aside. In a separate bowl over the double boiler, he then whisked together some Marsala wine, sugar, and egg yolks, whisking constantly until the mixture was tempered and the eggs cooked without scrambling. Once it was nice and frothy, he mixed in the mascarpone cheese and then the chocolate mixture from before.

He set that aside to cool to room temperature, then poured some cream into a clean bowl to whisk into whipped cream. Then he folded the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mascarpone mixture, delicately, like a lover. Or a professional chef. Or a professional chef looking for love. He was left with a beautiful mousse mixture, which he carefully filled a piping bag with and piped into martini glasses to serve. But not yet! First they were very loosely wrapped (so as not to ruin the piping he just did) and chilled for a few hours to set. During this time he milled the Coco Puffs into a fine Coco Puff powder, and made a bit more whipped cream.

Once the mousse was set, he removed them from the fridge and removed the wrapping. Then, the top of each dessert was dusted with Coco Puff coco powder, then the center was given a tiny dollop of whipped cream, and then just the whipped cream was given a light dusting of espresso powder.

"Judges, you asked to see my aspirations. As I showed last time, my culinary journey is about the pursuit of perfection. But if you ask what I hope for my future, it is to meet a nice young woman, take her out on a romantic date, share a lovely tiramisu chocolate mousse, and see where the night takes us."

8 Dark chocolate Science - Star ingredient
6 Espresso Science
6 Mascarpone cheese Science
Egg yolks Science
Butter Science
Sugar Science
Marsala wine Science
Cream Science
Coco Puffs Raw

6 Asparagus Saved
4 Potato Saved

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Once again, Chef Boyardima takes his time sifting through the Grocery's stock, before returning to the kitchen with an overflowing basket. Pulling out his trusty cooler, he extracts a small ingredient before packing away some of his recent purchases...

Stocked
Sugar Cane - 6G
Potato - 4G
Rice - 4G
Salmon - 12G
1 Coin

Sharpening his knives, he sets about preparing things. First, some freshly-purchased Plums are cleaned, trimmed, and carefully inspected for any bruises or imperfections. The ones that pass muster are gathered up, and a heaping handful go into a large glass jar, followed by some Rock Sugar [Kitchen Staple]. More plums follow with another helping of rock sugar in their wake, layering both until the last plum is used. Next, a bottle of Shochu [Kitchen Staple] is produced out of the basket. After a quick sip for tasting, the clear liquor is carefully poured into the jar until its contents are entirely submerged. Nodding with satisfaction, Boyardima places it in a handy Hyperbolic Time Chamber off to the side and sets the timer to One Year. As the strange device begins to whir away, the chef addresses his judges.

Part of my growth as a chef included understanding that a meal is not just about the dish itself - but about the full selection of what accompanies it. Much like I have already done, this needs a bit of time to mature before it's ready for you to enjoy.

Laying out his other ingredients and a wide array of kitchen supplies, Boyardima continues his prep work. The Blessed Wasabi, gleaming with Martha Stewart's love, is peeled and shaved into thin curls and simmered in a thick concoction of simple syrup. From there, it is combined with Matcha, Heavy Cream, Sugar, and Egg Yolks [Kitchen Staple] and fed through the icecream machine. After a quick taste test, the fresh icecream goes into the freezer to rest while the next phase of the prep commences. After combining Rice Flour [Kitchen Staple] with water and whisking it together, the resulting glutinous mixture is steamed for fifteen minutes on end. After the now-translucent mochi dough emerges, he rolls it out thinly onto a cutting board before refrigerating it for another fifteen minutes. Finally, everything is ready - the mochi dough emerges, and is cut into discs. The ice cream is scooped out, and wrapped carefully - but quickly - in the mochi dough before it can melt. The freshly-made mochi matcha ice cream is quickly packed away into the freezer once again, as Boyardima turns to the judges once more.

My tastes have also changed over time, as I developed an interest in different cuisines' countries. As I've visited Japan multiple times, its food holds a special attraction for me - there's a depth of flavor there that is hard to find anywhere else, as befits a nation full of tiny restaurants turning out food that far outclasses the typical fare most people are used to. But of course, we aren't stopping here.

Flipping an ironic salute to Guy, Boyardima resumes cooking. Pulling out the provided Sugary Cereal, he crunches it up and mixes it with a bit of leftover rice flour for body. The mochi ice cream comes back out of the freezer, and is rolled in the cereal mixture for a light breading - and into the deep fryer it goes! Just for a few swift seconds though - enough time to develop a light crispy crust - before it comes back out and gets plated.

And of course, sometimes childish tastes can transform into something entirely new and exciting.

Moving quickly now, Boyardima pulls the jar out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber - the clear liquid inside has turned a rich amber, the sugar is entirely dissolved, and the plums are shrunken and hard. Pouring a small measure into a chilled glass alongside each plate, the dish is ready to be served!

Because of course, everything tastes better with a good drink in your hand!

Deep-Fried Mochi Ice Cream with Homemade Plum Wine
Blessed Wasabi (Candied) - Star Ingredient
Matcha, Heavy Cream, Sugar, Eggs [Kitchen Staples] (Ice Cream'd)
Rice Flour [Kitchen Staples] (Steam)
Sugary Cereal (Deep Fried)
Plum (Preserve)
Rock Sugar, Shochu [Kitchen Staples] (Preserve)

Please enjoy this taste of my cooking passions as they are today, and take some time to savor the interplay of sweet, sharp, and sour.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

hello i feel hurt and headachey physiically so i will edit this post for proper cooking description and gimmcik in the AM but oatmeal-stuffed baked apples yeah

Take the apples, slice off their tops, and core them. Set them in a glass pan, sprayed with your typical baking spray. Set aside.

Cook the oatmeal, steel cut preferably, in the whole milk. Crush up the toast crunch and add it on in. Add just a pinch of salt to counteract the sugary menace lurking within the cereal. As the oatmeal cooks up, stir in the dried cranberries. Set aside, and let cool, when done.

Once the oatmeal is cool, spoon it into the cored apples. It should be juuuust over the top of the apple, filling-wise. Stick on some more dried cranberries and some larger pieces of the cinnamon-y cereal on top. Put it in a 350 degree oven and bake until golden brown and delicious.

While baking, mix some butter and brown sugar in a pot until nice and syrupy. Once it's out of the oven, glaze it with that brown sugar butter goodness.

eat it for breakfast, it's delicious i promise to you and stupid easy to cook

if you make it irl you could also serve it with a light vanilla-flavored yoghurt to cut the heaviness but i like the heaviness so fuckin' deal with me, judges

quote:

CHOSEN CEREAL - "Cinnamon Ghost Munch" - BAKED

Apple --- 4 - BAKED
STAR INGREDIENT - Oatmeal --- 6 - BAKED
Dried Cranberries --- 4 - BAKED

KITCHEN STAPLES USED:
Milk (whole) - STEWED INTO OATMEAL
Salt (just a pinch!) - STEWED INTO OATMEAL
Brown Sugar - STEWED INTO BROWN SUGAR BUTTER
Butter - STEWED INTO BROWN SUGAR BUTTER

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Buy:
Octopus
Sardine
Wasabi
Shallots

Gonba coat this octo in stuff and fry it, serve it with a wretched sauce and wasa

Pan Fry octopus (star ingredient)
Pan fry cereal too? (Cc’s oops all berries)
Make wretched sauce from sardines (stew
Raw wasabi
Butter will be involved as well

Summon Paula

Thanks y’all see in the morning

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

(once again, a quick post because lol what the gently caress is time management/being able to figure out a recipe?)

The future is something difficult to define, particularly in these turbulent culinary times. Who can really say what awaits us all? As someone who has seen numerous students go by, of varying degrees, the future can be concerning. But it can also be full of hope and opportunity.

What I'm saying is that yes, I'm waffling. But I'm no chicken. We face the future head on!

WAFFLING AT THE FUTURE, BUT NOT CHICKEN (BUT CHICKEN IS INVOLVED) FUTURE CHICKEN AND WAFFLES

Marinate our darling chicken over in buttermilk and eventually egg yolks, seasoning in part with some degree of salt and pepper. Take the sugary cereal and use it toward the breading for our chicken, also adding in flour - along with pinches of paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Coat the chicken in the above mixture to bind together, before frying in oil.

Meanwhile, create our waffles from flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, milk, butter and vanilla extract. Combine with dark chocolate for additional sweetness. Cook those suckers up for our waffle component.

Finally, to finish strong, we'll take maple syrup, butter and Tabasco sauce, serving on the the side for an additional bit of kick.

Chicken: Deep Fry (*Star Ingredient*)
Cereal: Deep Fry (Required Ingredient)
Staples: Buttermilk, egg yolks, seasoning (SnP, flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oil.)

Dark Chocolate: Pan-Fried
Staples: Egg yolks, flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, butter, vanilla.

Tabasco: Raw
Staples: Maple Syrup, Butter

MONEY:
31 coins (one carried over from previous round)
Chicken: 10
Dark Chocolate: 8
Tabasco: 4

leaving 9
purchasing Lemon for 4
and Cabbage for 4
to bank and leaving one coin

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

:siren:TIME IS UP! Put it down, walk away! This wild ride Guy has put us on is over!:siren:
Again our judges will take their time to taste your dishes. We'll hear from them in 24 hours, and get our final scores 24 hours after that.

For one of you, your journey to Kitchen Stadium is going to end here.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Presenting feedback from the judges over this challenge:

Councilor Bobby Flay

Alton Brown posted:

That’s certainly a good use of breakfast cereal in this dish and a very playful approach to the cereal you used. Surprisingly sweet despite the chicken, and I’m still wrapping my head around why my stomach isn’t imploding. Herbs seem a little lacking, but I’m pleasantly surprised with the restraint in this dish.

Masaharu Morimoto’s Translator posted:

This is one of the few dishes that tries to be a savory, and while I had my hesitations I find the dish to be incredibly well done.

Guy Fieri posted:

Oh my god! My mouth is having a fiesta!

CHAIRMAN KAGA

Guy Fieri posted:

... This is some kind of joke right?

Alton Brown posted:

By itself the octopus is nicely made. Maybe with some wasabi on the side would clean this dish up, but that sardine sauce you made is what’s dragging your dish down, and it’s really dragging your dish down. Also your use of the cereal doesn't seem to compliment your octopus...

Masaharu Morimoto posted:

Not lot of flavor.

Chef Boyardima

This dish is very well made with many flavors to be tasted in the mochi, and I like that your plum wine is there to balance out the herb flavor, not just the sweetness of the mochi. This is the most complete dish so far.

Guy Fieri posted:

Loving the crunchy skin with the matcha. Honestly expecting more of a kick from it though.

Alton Brown posted:

You took the kick out of the wasabi when you candied it, which is good, but it’s hard to find the wasabi with the matcha overpowering it.

EAT PUNCHBEEF

Guy Fieri posted:

The sweetness of your church candy is off the chain!

Alton Brown posted:

I agree with Guy. There’s been a lot of desserts, but this is without a doubt the sweetest dish of the entire challenge. On its own, this churchkela is great, if a bit one note.

Too sweet. Need something to pair.

Home Ec 3rd Period

Your waffle is very dense, despite its taste. I think the cereal may have something to do with that. The tabasco sauce on top makes this a surprisingly bitter and savory meal.

Alton Brown posted:

The chicken is good but like Morimoto said, your waffle’s overwhelming it and there just isn’t much flavor in the chicken, or in the breading.

Guy Fieri posted:

Oof, I think I need to take the rest of this to go. This is a heavy meal

Liquid Carmelization

Alton Brown posted:

You’ve got a batter that’s really sweet, with the rest of your dish being really savory, and unfortunately they didn’t mesh as well as you thought.

Guy Fieri posted:

Where’s the spice in this chicken? How is this Nashville-style Hot Chicken without the hotness?

Using the cereal as breading for your chicken is an inspired idea, but this dish really needed some other flavor to complete these extreme flavors. It’s not as good a dish as it could be.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 1, 2018

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Marinade2Win

Guy Fieri posted:

Okay, that? That. Is. Money. Like I was on a beach in the Spice Islands or something with this to cool me off.

Many textures. Good flavors. Work well.

Alton Brown posted:

What I think they’re trying to tell you is that you hit this one out of the park with your ice cream sandwich. And I gotta say I wasn’t expect a dessert to taste so refreshing.

Spicer 425*

This dish is perfectly fine, but it could use something as a palate cleanser. The sweetness and savory are in equal measure, but perhaps with something like sliced apples, or some cinnamon would elevate your dish further.

Guy Fieri posted:

I don’t know about you, but some bell peppers and onions would make a killer breakfast.

Alton Brown posted:

For a dessert, it’s a touch on the savory side, but hits a lot of the right notes. Hope to see more of your cooking Chef.

The Chicret Ingredient

This is a beautifully simple dish with many flavors that complement and build on top of one another.

Alton Brown posted:

I’m more impressed with how versatile this dish is. This is a real “restaurant dish” if you get my meaning.

Guy Fieri posted:

... Excuse me… I need another minute...

ThrmalImmrsionCirculatorMastr

Guy Fieri posted:

There’s a lot of dark rich flavors in this mousse, but somewhere you forgot some sweetness!

Alton Brown posted:

The mousse has so many strong flavors, but needed some sugar, or additional sweetener would smooth all these flavors you’ve got here. I mean, you got dark chocolate, espresso, and marsala wine; all these have strong, overpowering flavors.

Not sweet dessert. Very umami. Very bitter.

Weener Batter

Guy Fieri posted:

I think I could buy a whole bag of this at a candy shop! Flavortastic!

A great balance of flavors in a masterfully crafted form. It could use something to make it taste fresher, but it does not take away from your dish

Alton Brown posted:

So, I think we can agree that your candy is like the gourmet kind of kindy of treat, yet still sold at your local supermarket. Love the spicy-sweet flavor combination in this one.

Prawn Po’Boy did not prepare a dish for the judges…

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 1, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

oh in case it wasn't clear my cereal was coating the octopus

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

“The Judges Have Their Decision!They Have Picked A Clear Winner!”

Kitchen Stadium goes dark, leaving only two blue spotlights focusing on two chefs. One of whom is Bobby Flay, smirking at the other chef...

”Marinade2Win… You Survive To Cook Another Day...

The light then sways and spins until a new chef finds themselves underneath its glow...

”EAT PUNCHBEEF… You Survive To Cook Another Day...”

And again...

”Chef Boyardima... Your Dish Wowed The Judges… But You Did Not Win This Challenge… Nevertheless… You Survive To Cook Another Day...”

Bobby’s smile widens as the light leaves Chef Boyardima…

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

After the light spun in a circle for a minute, it settles on one new chef…

”Liquid Carmelization... Your Chicken Was Not What You Were Hoping For… But You Survive To Cook Another Day…”

Another minute of the spotlight’s dance, and another chef is revealed...

”The Chicret Ingredient…. The Judges Loved Your Dish, but is it enough to earn you the win?”

As time passes, Bobby’s smile stays unchanged, but his eyes stare daggers at The Chicret Ingredient..

”The Chicret Ingredient… You Are The Winner Of This Challenge!”

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?”

All lights are focused on Bobby Flay.

“Chicret’s Dish Had Done Better Than Your Own.”

“Well then I wanna re-”

“DEAL WITH IT!”

The light around Bobby Flay was snuffed out along with the rest of his diatribe, and light refocused on The Chicret Ingredient...

The Chicret Ingredient. For Winning The Challenge And Beating Bobby Flay, You Receive 1 Mastery, As Well As A Choice Between 1 More Mastery, Or Immunity Going Into The Next Challenge...

A new red spotlight shines down and expands until all the remaining chefs are under its field...

“One Of You Must Go Home…”

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The spirits grow silent. A minute of silence stretches into five. Then...

“Since One Of You Has Failed To Submit A Dish On Time, We Have No Need To Put Anyone On The Chopping Block. It Is Clear Who We Send Home…”

A red light shines on Prawn Po’Boy.

”Prawn Po’Boy, You Will Not Be The Next Food Network Star...

:siren:Prawn Po’Boy AKA The Clear Eye (TOWN CHEF) has been eliminated from the game.:siren:

Chef Scores for the challenge
The Chicret Ingredient - 135
Chef Boyardima - 129
Weener Batter - 113
Bobby Flay - 110
Marinade2Win - 106
EAT PUNCHBEEF - 102
Liquid Carmelization - 101
Home Ec 3rd Period - 94
CHAIRMAN KAGA - 83 (63 Before Summon)
ThrmalImmrsionCirculatorMastr - 71
Spicer 425* - 70
Prawn Po'Boy - DNF

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 2, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
It's gotta be the guy who didn't put in a dish, right?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
...nevermind

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The light refocuses on the remaining chefs sans Bobby Flay.

"Let This Be A Reminder That You Must Submit A Dish To The Judges.... Farewell... Until The Next Challenge Will We Meet Again..."

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Your next challenge will begin on Monday 11:00PM Eastern Standard Time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My dish... technically sufficient

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Well Done Chefs! The blue spectors call in unison. "Councilor Fieri Made This Round More Difficult Than We Were Expecting. You Have All Performed Admirably, And Made Dishes Worthy Of Your Places Here. All, Save One."

They turned to Prawn Po'Boy, standing in frozen daze in front of his Kitchen Station, mumbling quietly to himself. The same words again, and again. "children's cereal ... children's cereal..."

[b"Prawn Po'Boy Has Presented No Dish For This Round. It Is Our Somber Responsibility To Excuse Him From This Tournament."[/b]

As before the spectors assembled on either side of the figure, enveloping him in golden light. It lasted only a moment and, as the light faded, Prawn Po'Boy was gone.

"Go In Peace." They intoned in unison, straightening their ties.

The pair flew into the rafters and landed sprightly in the center of Kitchen Stadium. They gestured broadly to the contestant before folding their arms above their chests. "You Have Proven Your Mettle In Two Rounds, Cooking The Dishes That Define Your Journey. Your Mastery Is Unquestioned. Today However, We Remind Everyone That On The Journey To Culinary Mastery, There Will Be Many Forks. Many Bends In The Road. Not All Paths You Will Travel Will Be Well Known To You. Many Dishes Lay Undiscovered. Tonight, You Will Be Discovering One Of Them."

"For Round Three, You Are Asked To Bring Us Something Different. Show Us Your Innovation And Cook Us A Dish That Is New And Vibrant."

"All Contestants Will Be Given One Free Ingredient of Their Choice From The Exotic Or Eccentric Section Of The Grocer Between Worlds. In Addition, You Will All Be Given 20 Gold To Spend On Additional Supplies."

"This Round Your Judges Will Be!"

Martha Stewart!

Rachel Ray!

Wolfgang Puck!

You see two chefs descend to the floor of Kitchen Stadium. A spotlight shines on both of them as the rest of the room grows dim.

Cat Cora is the first to speak. "Chefs!" She calls professionally. "If there's one thing I've learned in my culinary journey, sides make a dish. Even a perfectly cooked filet mignon cannot hold a plate by itself. Entrees need sides. They are the heart of the dish. Consequently, for this challenge, I declare - THERE WILL BE NO STAR INGREDIENTS! Make every part of your dish the star and wow us with your expertise."

Morimoto bows demurely as Cat Cora surrenders the spotlight. The Aged Masterchef steps into the center of the light and flashes a very genuine smile. "Uhh ... Rewards. For simple dishes. A simple dish is... it's own reward... Thank you, arigato."

The spotlight descends on the blue spectors once again. "Round Three Of The Tournament Begins ... NOW!

-*-*-*-*-*-

tldr

Judges: Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, Wolfgang Puck

Interference:

Cat Cora - For this round you do not need to declare a star ingredient. All of your ingredients will be judged as though they are the star. This will improve the score of dishes with a higher number of ingredients.

Morimoto - He is offering rewards for simple dishes with fewer ingredients.

You have 20 gold and can pick one ingredient from the Eccentric or Exotic section for free. We ask that you cook us something new, innovative or inventive. Try to cook something you think could be the "next big culinary trend"

72 Hours till Deadline.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
The Grocery Between Worlds

Beef

Prime Rib ---- 20
Ribeye --- 15
Sirloin --- 15
Tenderloin --- 12
T-Bone Steak --- 12
Veal Cutlets --- 12
Lengua (Tongue) --- 10
Brain --- 10
Ground Beef ---6

Pork

Ham --- 15
Tenderloin --- 12
Pork Chops --- 12
Ribs --- 10
Ground Pork --- 6
Cracklin' (Skin) --- 6

Poultry

Duck --- 12
Emu --- 12
Chicken --- 10
Turkey --- 10
Duck Liver --- 10
Goose --- 10
Pheasant --- 10
Chicken Hearts --- 6
Turkey Skin --- 6
Pidgeon --- 6

Seafood

Lobster --- 20
Tuna --- 15
Salmon --- 12
Cod --- 12
Geoduck --- 12
Octopus --- 12
Crab --- 12
Caviar (Roe) --- 10
Prawns --- 10
Langoustine --- 10
Oyster --- 10
Mussels --- 6
Squid --- 6
Sardines --- 6
"White Fish" --- 6

Eccentric

Bear Steak --- 15
Horse Steak --- 15
Venison Steak --- 12
Buffalo Steak --- 12
Lamb Shank --- 12
Lamb Chop --- 12
Goat Shank --- 10
Goat Chops --- 10
Whole Rabbit --- 8
Whole Snake --- 8
Whole Iguana --- 8
Whole Turtle --- 8
Whole Possum --- 6
Frog Leg --- 6

Fruits

Pineapple --- 6
Watermelon --- 6
Durian --- 6
Orange --- 4
Apple --- 4
Banana --- 4
Strawberry --- 4
Blueberry --- 4
Peach --- 4
Pear --- 4
Plum --- 4
Lemon/Lime --- 4
Kiwi --- 4
Grapefruit --- 4

Vegetables

Good Mushroom (Any) --- 6
Brussel Sprouts --- 6
Eggplant --- 6
Kale --- 6
Pumpkin --- 6
Habanero Pepper --- 6
Cauliflower --- 6
Asparagus --- 6
Squash --- 4
Broccoli --- 4
Cabbage --- 4
Lettuce (Any) --- 4
Onion --- 4
Leek --- 4
White Mushroom --- 4
Bell Pepper --- 4
Jalapeno Pepper ---- 4
Garlic --- 4
Shallot --- 4
Green Beans --- 4
Okra --- 4
Corn --- 4
Carrots --- 4
Celery Root --- 4
Tomato --- 4
Zuchinni ---- 4

Starches

Fresh Bread --- 8
Cashews --- 8
Panko --- 8
Oatmeal --- 6
Almonds --- 6
Noodles (Any) --- 6
Garbanzo Beans --- 6
Lentils --- 6
Yam --- 4
Potato --- 4
Sweet Potato --- 4
Rice --- 4
Kidney Beans --- 4
Sandwich Loaf --- 4
Barley --- 4
Quinoa --- 6

Dairy

Creme Fraiche --- 8
Dark Chocolate --- 8
Milk Chocolate --- 6
Quail Egg --- 6
Goat Cheese --- 6
Blue Cheese --- 6
Sheep Cheese --- 6
Ricotta --- 6
Mozzarella --- 6
Cottage Cheese --- 4
Pepper Jack --- 4
American Cheese --- 4
Chicken Egg --- 4
White Chocolate --- 4

Exotic

Truffle --- 10
Juniper Berries --- 8
Mint Paste ---8
Wasabi --- 8
Sugar Cane --- 6
Lemon Grass --- 6
Artichoke --- 6
Edamame --- 6
Water Chestnuts --- 6
Jam (Any) --- 6
Rhubarb --- 4
Peanut Butter --- 4

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Anova wand waved once again, this time sending in a basket and coming back with truffles. The ThrmalImmrsionCirculatorMastr put all 20 coins in the bank, and started thinly slicing the truffles. He then battered the slices with seasoned flour from the kitchen staples, and deep fried them. Once out of the fryer, he tossed them with salt and plated them for the judges.

"You ask for something innovative and exotic. And Chef Morimoto has asked for simple dishes. So I present you with truffle chips. A hybrid of deep fried mushrooms and potato chips, these truffle chips are the perfect exotic snack for your next luxury party."

Truffle (free) Star Ingredient Deep Fried

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Liquid nods gravely. "After last round's complexity, simplicity is valuable. I believe we will go with a simple innovation."

A quick trip to the Grocery finds a few more items added to the pantry, and three simple ingredients on the chopping block. "A taste of the Caribbean, by way of a Zanzibar night market." Sugarcane is split, then lightly charred on an open fire before being peeled and the heart chopped. A sweet lime is juiced and then zested. The ginger is peeled, chopped, and candied. "Normally I would blend this with a little white rum and serve it as a cold summer drink, but as Chef Morimoto has long inspired me, this can only be done justice in one way."

The ice cream machine will know it worth today. Shortly a delicately green and citrusy ice cream scented lightly of rum is scooped onto a cold plate, and garnished with an elegant lime leaf.

"There. Simple, and unexpected. All the best flavors of a Caribbean cocktail in a cool, smooth form for summer enjoyment."

code:
Sugar Cane - Free - Open Fire
Lime - 4 - Ice Cream'ed
Ginger - 4 - Candied

Storage:
Okra - 4 - New
Shallot - 4 - New
Garlic - 4 - New
Bell Pepper - Stored
Onion - Stored
Celery - Stored

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
"This... is an EXCELLENT challenge! THANK YOU for this opportunity, judges! And NOW after a pair of SWEET dishes, I think it's time to work DIRECTLY with STRONG ingredients! It's time... for BEAR!"

With that, he heads off to the Grocery Dimension, and when he returns, it is with another bear steak in his hands, which he promptly puts into the stasis storage, removing the steak that was already there.

"For this CHALLENGE, I would like to present MY OWN TAKE an a STRONG but UNDERAPPRECIATED CUISINE: HUNGARIAN FOOD! Every time I've had the PLEASURE of eating it, I have found myself POWERFULLY REINFORCE! Unfortunately, it hasn't SPREAD as much as it TRULY DESERVES, so I rarely get a chance to EAT it unless I MAKE IT MYSELF. With THAT in mind, I'm going to make a little VARIATION that's a bit more TRANSPORTABLE!"

"We're actually going to START with the SIDE DISH! I have here a FRESH HEAD OF CABBAGE! First, we're going to use a KNIFE to CHOP it into FINE SHREDS, but once THAT is done..." he scoops the entire mass of shredded cabbage into his hands, and squeezes the juice out into a prepared jar. "We CRUSH it! Now, we're going to add SALT and a PINCH OF CARAWAY SEEDS for flavor, and then JAM that cabbage into the JAR! We're going to give it PLENTY OF TIME to sit in its OWN JUICES, and think about how it could have DONE BETTER. This would normally take WEEKS, but once again, we have a TIME CHAMBER at the ready!"

"And for our MAIN DISH, we'll be making GULASCH! Or GOULASH if you want to SPELL it that way, or GULYAS if you're feeling PARTICULARLY HUNGARIAN! It's a TRADITIONAL SOUP, meant to keep herdsmen WARM on cold winter nights, and to give them the STRENGTH they needed to FISTFIGHT the HORDES OF HUNGRY BEARS that would come for their FLOCKS in the NIGHT! But as DELICIOUSLY POWERFUL as it is, soup can be INCONVENIENT for the MODERN HERDSPERSON ON THE GO, so we're going to capture that SAME FLAVOR in a form you could more easily get from a FOOD TRUCK"

"The overall CONSTRUCTION of this dish is actually PRETTY SIMPLE! First we have our BEAR MEAT--I should add that besides the pure RAW POWER it provides, it is also NICELY FATTY, which is important for keeping this dish MOIST. We're going to FINELY CUBE that meat, and we'll also DICE our OTHER INGREDIENTS--the ONIONS, POTATOES, and CAYENNE PEPPERS. A NOTE on the peppers! We have to be CAREFUL about how much we use--we don't want the HEAT to overpower the RICH FLAVORS at work, but we DO want that RESIDUAL INTERNAL WARMTH. The GARLIC will be diced EVEN FURTHER until it is properly MINCED! We're going to MIX THIS ALL TOGETHER, and we'll also add just a bit of TOMATO PUREE that has been SEASONED with CARAWAY! PAPRIKA! SALT! PEPPER! Once again, AMOUNT IS CRITICAL! We want this to be PRESENT throughout the dish, but too much moisture will be a PROBLEM for our NEXT STEP!

"Now, we're going to make some simple dough, to make a HEARTY, CRUSTY BREAD! No sugar, just FLOUR, SALT, WATER, and YEAST, because we want that outer layer to have a GOOD CRUNCH TO IT." Eat's muscles ripple as he kneads the dough--not just in his arms, but seemingly all over his body. It's really quite a sight to behold. "Now, we FLATTEN the dough, place some of our GULASCH MIXTURE on TOP of the dough, fold the dough over to SEAL IT IN, brush with a bit of EGG for a nice GOLDEN FINISH, and place the entire thing in the OVEN!"

"As the bread BAKES, the rest of the ingredients are essentially STEWED INSIDE THE PASTRY, each ingredient INFUSING the others with their FLAVOR. Finally, when it's done, we'll top with with just a TOUCH of SOUR CREAM, and serve it with a SIDE of SAUERKRAUT, to give the meal that extra note of ACIDITY! Judges, I hope you ENJOY it!"

code:
Gulasch Pastry with Sauerkraut

--Shopping--
Bear Steak (Free)
Onions - 4
Cayenne Pepper (Jalapeno)- 4 
Tomato - 4
Potato - 4
Garlic - 4
Cabbage - 4

--Cooking--
Bear Steak - Stew
Onions - Stew
Cayenne Pepper (Jalapeno) - Stew
Tomato - Stew
Potato - Stew
Garlic - Stew
Caraway Seeds (Kitchen Staple) - Stew
Wheat Flour (Kitchen Staple) - Bake
Sour Cream (Kitchen Staple) - Raw

Cabbage - Preserve

--Pantry--
Bear Steak
22 Gold 

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Well Weener Batter had a really lovely day and summoning the creative energy to address the challenge may be beyond his current reserves. So he is gonna be pretty matter of fact here.

"Judges, you asked for the next culinary trend. To give you something new, creative. The fact is there is nothing new under the sun. Everything old is new again. There is only rediscovery and the momentary rise in popularity of a rediscovered cooking art.. Having said that I predict that soul food is making a come back!"

" I Give you...Deep Fried Frog Legs in a course Mustard Cream Sauce, with Corn Cakes, and Rhubarb-Apple Pie!"

Weener marinates frog legs in a mix of buttermilk, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, hot sauce, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
After they are sufficiently imbued with the Cajun magic he rolls them in a mix flour, Cajun seasoning and drops them in the deep fryer. He pulls them out at the peak of golden perfection

He creates his sauce by taking onion garlic, parsley, cream, Cajun seasoning, coarse ground mustard, butter and olive oil and sauteing it all in a pan over low heat

He then makes his corn cakes by mixing eggs with freshly cut corn nibblets. He adds onions, flour, cajun seasoning and pan fries the moist cakes on high heat

Finally he rolls out a beautiful crust using flour and butter with a pinch of salt. He takes fresh diced rhubarb and apples that have been peeled, cored and sliced and mixes them in a bowl with sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. He gently lays the crust in a pie tin and fills it with the fruit mixture and covers it with a top crust. Using a knife he embosses the top with a series of small punctures in the shape of heart to let the pie vent. Because he knows the secret ingredient in the best pie is love......

Spend: 20 + 5 hold over - 24 this round equals 1 gold left over

Mustard Sauce
onion 4 sauteed/pan fry
garlic 4 sauteed/pan fry
parsley
cream
cajun seasoning
coarse ground mustard
butter
olive oil

Corn Cakes
eggs 4 pan fried
corn 4 pan fried
onions
flour
cajun seasoning
olive oil

Deep Fried Frog Legs
frog legs- free- deep fried
buttermilk
cajun seasoning
garlic powder
hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly
ground black pepper
flour
olive oil

Apple Rhubarb Pie
apple 4 bake
rhubarb 4 bake
flour
butter
salt
sugar
cinnamon
LOVE

Weener Beater fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 6, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Whale - Grilled - 15 (Free?)
Wasabi - 8 - Raw
Ginger - 4 - Raw
Orange - 4 - Raw

Grilled Minke Whale with Wasabi, Citrus Miso and Ginger Vinaigrette

Vinagrette
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon miso paste
1 tablespoon orange Juice
2 teaspoon grated ginger
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Apologies for being brief, Judges, but I have been overcome with a bout of Chronal Dysplasia. Please enjoy my dish.

Lightly grilled Whale, tender and firm, without being stringy. Some believe you need to soak it in milk beforehand to avoid an overly fishy taste, but you'll find with proper handling that fate can be avoided. Please enjoy with the Vinagrette and Wasabi, or on its own to appreciate the flavor.

Buy and save Tenderloin, 3 coins remain

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 7, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Horse Steak (free)

"Today's theme is: Baniku!

In the world over, Baniku is not enjoyed as freely as it is at home in Japan. Your next big thing almost always comes from an explored part of another country's food though, so perhaps you will rethink the horse next too."

First, Kaga makes a Yakiniku sauce by simmering Kitchen Staples (soy sauce, mirin, sake, rice vinegar, sugar, apple juice, katsuobushi and sesame)

Next, he thinly slices the horse meat and grills it on a small charcoal barbecue. Then he's done. That's the whole dish.

"What could be simpler than today's dish:

BANIKU YAKINIKU!"

Summary
Horse Steak (Grilled)
Kitchen Staples (soy sauce, mirin, sake, rice vinegar, sugar, apple juice, katsuobushi and sesame)(simmer, which is closest to boil I guess)

Also buy:
Rice (4)
Mushroom (4)
Egg (4)
Pepper Jack (4)

Pocket 4 cash

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Mari runs in from outside, obviously out of breath, eyes bloodshot as usual.

Oh my goodness, I hadn't realized that the challenge had started! My apologies.

She pauses to listen to the details of the challenge, and then quickly runs to the grocer to procure the following:

code:
Whole Possum - free
Sandwich Loaf - 4
Pepperjack Cheese - 4
Onion - 4
Bell Pepper - 4
Potato - 4
Garlic - 4

24 total spent, 18 remaining
(+12 coins from challenge 1, +10 from challenge 2, 20 coins to start = 42 starting)

She then purchases the following for future use:
Whole Snake - 8
Goat Cheese - 6
14 extra spent, 4 remaining (feel free to doublecheck!)
I'm just going to cook now and talk as I go for this one! This recipe was taught to me by my cousin from the nearby city of Fairydelphia.

1. As usual, Mari starts by starting a small campfire. She places two stones at either side of the fire and a thin flat one over it, heating it up. She then takes a fork and pokes the possum a few times, making sure it doesn't move.

I can't stress this enough: if you're going to cook with possum, it's really important to make sure that it's dead first. Sometimes they like to pretend :eng99: Trust me, that's a mistake you only make once.

OK, this next part is kind of gross. You might want to avert your eyes!

3. Standing such that her back blocks the camera's view of what she's doing, she takes her knife and cuts the meat out of the possum. She takes the meat and sets it aside, throwing out the guts/waste and tossing the fur into a large pot of water. She then starts slicing the meat into small thin strips, sprinkling a tiny amount of oil over them before liberally sprinkling in salt and pepper.

Possum meat is really good! I think humans think it's gross for some reason, but I'd like to think I could convince them otherwise?

4. She crushes up garlic and mixes it with olive oil and rosemary, then uses a paintbrush to coat the bread in the mixture. She tosses it facedown onto the hot stone, keeping it off to the side so it doesn't burn.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that any hot sandwich tastes better on garlic bread. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they're few and far between.

5. After cleaning off her knife, she slices the potatoes into extremely thin slices. She then paints them with a thin layer of oil and liberal sprinkling of salt/pepper, and throws them onto the hot stone, covering them to trap the heat in.

6. She throws the strips of meat onto the hot stone, causing it to immediately start to sizzle. As it heats, she takes two knifes and starts slicing and dicing the meat into tiny strips. She then dices up the onions/peppers and throws them onto the stone. After a few minutes pass, she adds slices of pepperjack to the top of the possum meat.

This part is a balancing act - you want to make sure that everything is cooking, but nothing is burning. I just try to think of it like a game that I'm trying to get a good score in.

7. She takes a plate and creates her sandwich: garlic bread, with possum meat, pepperjack cheese, and a layer of onions and pepper on top. She then takes the potatoes out of the fire and adds them to the plate, allowing them time to cool.

Fairydelphia Cheesesteak + Potato Chips
  • Sandwich Loaf - hot stoned
  • Garlic - hot stoned
  • Whole Possum - hot stoned
  • Onions - hot stoned
  • Bell Pepper - hot stoned
  • Pepper Jack - hot stoned
  • Potatoes - hot stoned

It's a lot of ingredients but still manages to be a simple dish. I hope you all like it :peanut:

She grabs the pot of water with the possum fur and skips away

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stories.

Stories are important. The food itself is vital, I should hope that goes without saying, with where we are and what we're doing. But much like in the classroom, if you can string along a decent, entertaining story - you've already won half the battle. I certainly hope that such becomes a deeper, more complex trend in the culinary world.

Today, chefs, I provide for you a dish inspired by a story many of us know, the story of the tortoise and the hare. This one goes out to you, AC.

The Tortoise and the Hare: Whoever Wins, They're Both Delicious

Whole Rabbit [FREE] - Grill
Whole Turtle [8] - Boil (..and then bake, technically, but going with Boil for the mechanics.)
Celery Root [4] - Boil
Onion [4] - Boil
Bell Pepper [4] - Boil
[Staples: Salt/pepper, vinegar, butter, garlic salt, olive oil, ketchup, sugar, garlic powder honey, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce.]

-Soak meat overnight.
-Prepare the BBQ sauce.
-Grill up the rabbit, butter and seasonings included. Baste the rabbit, carefully adding in our prepared BBQ sauce once close to finished.
-Boil our turtle meat with our celery, pepper, onion and seasonings. Simmer, before removing and placing to baking dish, adding BBQ sauce. Bake, and let cook.
-Bonus points: time everything so both parts of the dish ready at roughly the same time. Make your own race between the tortoise and the hare!

* Home Ec 3rd Period's Personal Pantry *
Lemon
Cabbage
1 coin

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looking a bit rushed, Chef Boyardima sweeps in with a basket already loaded full of ingredients. Some are put away, while others are extracted from his trusty cooler.

Stocked
Good Mushrooms - 6G
Venison Steak - Free

Pulled From Stock
Chicken
Shallot

Apologies to the judges, but where I'd normally intersperse my cooking with a bit of narrative detail, I'm going to cut right to the chase tonight. My focus tonight is on a culinary trend that has already taken one community by storm, and is poised to do so again at the barest of provocation. What could that be, you ask? Wait and see.

He sets to work. Chicken is cut up into tenders (using dark meat, of course). The resulting good-sized pieces, along with some Shallot are set aside, while a fresh pile of Jalapeno Peppers is swiftly prepped up into a fine hot sauce. The chicken and shallots receive an immediate coating in said sauce, are dusted with Flour [Kitchen Staple], and promptly dumped into the deep fryer to sizzle away. Meanwhile, a nice loaf of Sandwich Bread is sliced lengthwise, spread with some fresh Butter [Kitchen Staple], and tossed on the grill to crisp up a bit. After the chicken and shallot come out of the fryer and his final purchase - some Blue Cheese - is readied, the resulting dish is assembled like so:

Fresh grilled bread, topped with some fried hot chicken (and drizzled with just a touch more freshly-prepared hot sauce) and crispy shallots, and finished off with pungent blue cheese.

Chefs - I give you the next taste sensation, ready for a return to the place where it once took by storm: Chickencheese.

Chickencheese
Sandwich Loaf - 4G (Grilled) - Star Ingredient
Jalapeno Pepper - 4G (Science) - Star Ingredient
Butter [Kitchen Staples] (Grilled)
Chicken - Storage (Deep Fried) - Star Ingredient
Shallot - Storage (Deep Fried) - Star Ingredient
Flour [Kitchen Staples] (Deep Fried)
Blue Cheese - 6G (Raw) - Star Ingredient

(And while I appreciate the offer of an intriguing new ingredient, I believe a crucial part of any new taste sensation is accessibility, hence my decision to hold it for later. Wait and see where it turns up again!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

:siren:TIME IS UP! Put it down, walk away! Our third challenge has been and gone!:siren:
We'll leave our judges will to render the judgement. We'll hear from them in 24 hours, and get our final scores 24 hours after that.

For one of you, your journey to Kitchen Stadium is going to end here.