Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In simpler times, a serial killer could capture the attention of an entire nation. In the age of Trump you not only never hear about serial killers anymore but it seems they've been replaced in the public eye by mass shooters, who themselves can barely stay in the news cycle for a few days. Does the serial killer enjoy a new level of obscurity, or does he burst with jealousy that he's been replaced by shooters and Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They were all boomers. Makes you think

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

snoremac posted:

In simpler times, a serial killer could capture the attention of an entire nation. In the age of Trump you not only never hear about serial killers anymore but it seems they've been replaced in the public eye by mass shooters, who themselves can barely stay in the news cycle for a few days. Does the serial killer enjoy a new level of obscurity, or does he burst with jealousy that he's been replaced by shooters and Trump?

there aren't that many of them, at least not the kind that grab headlines.

except for miami. dexter was a documentary and miami has dozens of active, highly theatrical serial killers.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

R. Guyovich posted:

there aren't that many of them, at least not the kind that grab headlines.

except for miami. dexter was a documentary and miami has dozens of active, highly theatrical serial killers.

there arent many headlines any more, are serial killers killing priont journalism :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's more fun to rack up a mass shooting high score than to hunt and murder your victims over the course of decades. BO-RING

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think attention to mass shooters #disrupted fascination with serial killers so they adapted to the New Media Ecosystem and all became mass shooters.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's more fun to rack up a mass shooting high score than to hunt and murder your victims over the course of decades. BO-RING

drat millenials ADD brains have been broken by video games and gizmo phones and they dont have the patience to be a serial killer.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Are Millennial Mass Shooters Killing The Serial Killer Industry?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm sure there's some guy skinning and eating children out there, he just works at Comet Ping Pong.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drat millenials ADD brains have been broken by video games and gizmo phones and they dont have the patience to be a serial killer.

need to get less kids playing fortnite and more playing hitman

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

he's a senator from texas happy to help

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i made this point like five years ago and i came here to make it but you sniped me

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
with all these twitters and bing bongs theyre too easy to track these days anyway

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think attention to mass shooters #disrupted fascination with serial killers so they adapted to the New Media Ecosystem and all became mass shooters.
I realize from this post that mass shootings are the annual CoD releases of murder.

which begs the question of what is the dark souls of murder.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to imagine that maybe technology and the media depiction of serial killers probably dissuaded some crazy people from indulging their urges. A serial killer wannabe in 2018 is likely fully aware of what forensics can identify, what investigations can track by matching references, and the fact that surveillance is implicitly omnipresent. I'm sure that a bunch of them probably don't bother unless they can constantly act in some low profile podunk towns, or unless they're straight up part of a cartel.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Metal Cat posted:

It's kinda funny to imagine that maybe technology and the media depiction of serial killers probably dissuaded some crazy people from indulging their urges. A serial killer wannabe in 2018 is likely fully aware of what forensics can identify, what investigations can track by matching references, and the fact that surveillance is implicitly omnipresent. I'm sure that a bunch of them probably don't bother unless they can constantly act in some low profile podunk towns, or unless they're straight up part of a cartel.

clearly u havent considered the Random Killer, who has an algorithm based on atmospheric static that tells him where, when, who (race, hair color, height, eye color, clothing style) and how (various techniques) to kill.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

nah different psychology

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Socks4Hands posted:

clearly u havent considered the Random Killer, who has an algorithm based on atmospheric static that tells him where, when, who (race, hair color, height, eye color, clothing style) and how (various techniques) to kill.

In my upcoming memoir, Reveries of a Machine Learning Murderer, this will all be recounted in grisly detail - drawing connections which outfoxed the authorities all throughout the Internet Era

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
too bad im busted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

how had i not seen this video

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone in Denmark tried but made the fatal error of his first victim being a journalist going on a ride on his submarine for an article so absolutely everyone knew there was someone missing

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how had i not seen this video

its b/c you dont spend enough time in nite crew

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Jose posted:

They were all boomers. Makes you think

it's reductive and probably absolves them of too much blame but it's always good to remember boomers were huffing lead for a majority of their lives

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R02XR4EwV0I

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gas prices in the 00s basically shut down the highway killer lifestyle and that's the minor leagues for serial killing

ruined the industry

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They've all got jobs in the Trump admin

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoku posted:

gas prices in the 00s basically shut down the highway killer lifestyle and that's the minor leagues for serial killing

ruined the industry
the 90s were a different era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LqIrj7ZiU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

They've all got jobs in the Trump admin

https://i.imgur.com/R92cn1Z.mp4

There's no way Miller doesn't have at least one freezer full of women's heads.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

what i wanna know is why did it take isis running people over with trucks to teach the horny weirdos of the world that thats an option. i always thought it was obvious

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

put a bottle of Dom on ice, and get some ecstasy, i'm gonna come over tonight, and put a hot pepper up your rear end

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Behind you

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Are you telling me theres no cop killing serial killer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Natural Born Killers whips rear end

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Natural Born Killers whips rear end

It seriously owns so much

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They're all in London, Ontario.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Theyre all truck drivers. There at least 1 serial killer active along I-4 between tampa and daytona, for example

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there are a bunch of active serial killers in the us

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there are a bunch of active serial killers in the us

yeah the COPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014