Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Planning an elaborate killing spree, making up cryptic clues and taunts, writing a manifesto, securing kill and body dump spots, disguises, making contingency plans... this poo poo takes a ton of time and money that the average millennial doesn't have. So like with all things, the real issue is capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol whihc lupin is this from

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

nah different psychology

But what are people with that particular combination of entitlement and psychosexual issues doing, if not serial killing?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wynona Dryder posted:

put a bottle of Dom on ice, and get some ecstasy, i'm gonna come over tonight, and put a hot pepper up your rear end
:shittypop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

But what are people with that particular combination of entitlement and psychosexual issues doing, if not serial killing?
i dunno but mass shooters go out in an apocalyptic blaze of "glory" that i think has more in common with self-radicalized terrorists. it's about getting back at the world where serial killers have a different set of things kickin' around inside their noggin that's driving them i think

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this is a pretty good episode of television about this topic

Its a short lived show by parts of the Xfiles team, and this is a nice comedy satire episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ifzur

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

why spend months, even years, carefully and quietly murdering your victims and covering your tracks (stressful much?) when you could just grab an assault rifle and get double the killcount in 15 minutes

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Are Millenials behind the end of Serial Killers?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

like that other poster said it's going to be crazy when they correlate all kinds of poo poo with the end of the use of leaded gasoline.

And I mean SHARPLY.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

And by SHARPLY I mean "nothing at all will matter and they will skate by understanding nothing.". I just want to be clear on that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of them gave up when they realized that every possible niche had already been done in some trashy james patterson novel.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

has the movement toward serialized television satiated the desire for serial killings?

were serial killings motivated by the numbingly episodic nature of television before the current day?

Were innocent americans warped by the magically resetting lives of the television people?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

All the proficient serial killers fly under the radar because they don't showboat about it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's too many people that we've reduced to being subhuman disposables that it doesn't matter if they've been brutally murdered, hope that helps copper

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

It’s the cops OP.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Serial killing is as popular as ever, it just has a more regional following now.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think attention to mass shooters #disrupted fascination with serial killers so they adapted to the New Media Ecosystem and all became mass shooters.

Actually, mass shooters are aided and abetted by the FBI as part of the federal government's "strategy of tension". Thank you for listening.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Metal Cat posted:

It's kinda funny to imagine that maybe technology and the media depiction of serial killers probably dissuaded some crazy people from indulging their urges. A serial killer wannabe in 2018 is likely fully aware of what forensics can identify, what investigations can track by matching references, and the fact that surveillance is implicitly omnipresent. I'm sure that a bunch of them probably don't bother unless they can constantly act in some low profile podunk towns, or unless they're straight up part of a cartel.
It's this. Read up on femicide sometime.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jose posted:

lol whihc lupin is this from

the third

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
they caught the golden state killer earlier this year and also that dude in toronto that hid a bunch of dead guys in city planters

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is criminal minds still a thing

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

I figure serial killing is like a lifestyle thing you really need to structure your life around it

kids these days they've got that internet, can't keep focus on one thing for long

except mgtows and black pullers they will absolutely be the next generation of serial killers

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Boner Pill Connoisseur posted:

I figure serial killing is like a lifestyle thing you really need to structure your life around it

kids these days they've got that internet, can't keep focus on one thing for long

except mgtows and black pullers they will absolutely be the next generation of serial killers

Gotta collect your fingernails in jars and live a normal life and no one got time for that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Late stage Capitalism is good because idle hands make serial murders

Better they pop once and die
Free matket efficiency

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
As others have pointed out the classic serial killer had free time, private property and a car, etc. that simply puts the life style out of reach of your average basement dwelling millennial weirdo. Late capitalism has priced millenials out of the industry.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

where are the serial killers. where are they, also what is your favorite food

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
new orleans, detroit, the rust belt

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
the new wave of serial killers will be targeting the rich, just give it time.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Most modern serial killers kill sex workers and homeless people, i think. Cops give no fucks about the victims and don't investigate their murders. They'd probably thank them. Also i assume a lot of truckers are serial killers. I don't think there are fewer serial killers. Most serial killers only get caught because they are usually kinda dumb from brain damage and constant substance abuse so they gently caress up all the time.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Radirot posted:

They ARE the rich

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Radirot posted:

has that ever happened historically? i think most murderous psychopaths are too lazy and cowardly to do it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Metal Cat posted:

It's kinda funny to imagine that maybe technology and the media depiction of serial killers probably dissuaded some crazy people from indulging their urges. A serial killer wannabe in 2018 is likely fully aware of what forensics can identify, what investigations can track by matching references, and the fact that surveillance is implicitly omnipresent. I'm sure that a bunch of them probably don't bother unless they can constantly act in some low profile podunk towns, or unless they're straight up part of a cartel.

The real answer is that there's probably a few floating around who only target the Less Dead so nobody pays attention, also the number who are also truck drivers is definitely non zero

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kazak posted:

All the proficient serial killers fly under the radar because they don't showboat about it

Green River Killer went how long before they realized it was a serial killer and even longer before they caught him (partly because the cops were morons)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Jack the Ripper and Zodiac Killer showboated.

Those are the kinds I'm most interested in. How can the killer who toys with the police and public compete in today's media landscape?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

snoremac posted:

Those are the kinds I'm most interested in. How can the killer who toys with the police and public compete in today's media landscape?

Easy: go after the police. If playing head games with the police over their ability to protect the public was a sound tactic for serial killer power tripping in the past, today's aspiring antisocial psycho can still make a splash by the police right where their egos are most soft and tender: their inability to protect their own, to maintain an aura of impregnability, and to not look like useless chumps because of it.

But today's American psychos are probably ADHD-addled and have no ability to plan or bide their time for the most perfect kill, so they just go for the lame mass shooting because they're brainrotted on corn syrup and Call Of Duty and think having a legacy (even one of heinous murder) is lame poo poo for "normies".

America can't even murder right anymore.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I don’t think serial killers became shooters. Shooters are generally people at the end of their rope going out in a blaze of revenge. Serial killers are seeking a power trip that feeds their psyche somehow ie. they kill women who look like their mothers because they were overly coddled or something. They’re also sociopaths, which shooters aren’t necessarily.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Green River Killer went how long before they realized it was a serial killer and even longer before they caught him (partly because the cops were morons)

20 years just about, but he wasnt killing real people, so eh

(he was a suspect in 1983 but eh...he passed a polygraph...so...stop investigating him for 18 years)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

20 years just about, but he wasnt killing real people, so eh

(he was a suspect in 1983 but eh...he passed a polygraph...so...stop investigating him for 18 years)

Polygraphs are as accurate as loving tarot. I can't believe that we bother with them as an investigative tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
i still can't believe anyone thinks theyre credible, but people really like thinking there's a test for lying

• Locked thread