Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unintended use cases are a passion of mine, and those radio-controlled vapes have some cool ones. If Cool Dad's techies are on the ball, they'd have two signals going: a manual override and one that syncs to the music to auto-pulse the LEDs. If the music pulser is on the same frequency as another common broadcaster, your vape could pulse in tune with your drone controller. Or your RFID reader. Or your teledildonics suite. Or whatever RF-controlled device you've got hanging around.

Also, amphetamines? That's not even a Cool Drug. More like Uncool Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, as a concept this sounds cool, but it'll be pinging back close-range whenever the gun's pointed at the ground or whatever cover the operator's low-dragging behind. Alternatively, it'd make a decent motion switch for a home security light.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Could you hook that ghost chip up to a radio transmitter and have haunted Cool Dad vapes?

Hang on, you can prototype basically anything, right? It might be kinda cool to see a ghost chip hooked to an LED for a random color cycler. Take out the vape middleman.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's more complex than I would have expected for a musical greeting card.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
He was only told that he was building an aquaponics tool. What was built was something that moves between multiple positions and activates two tools. This could have multiple use cases. And we have here a rebroadcaster that just sends whatever data it gets to another system. Multiple uses I can think of. I can't think of a good way to use the two together except for an enormous array of "aquaponics tools" that need to move and activate individually.

The router ID chip being radiation and EMP-resistant seems like overkill, but I think it's too early for paranoia yet. I mean, this is Sun Haotian we're talking about, it's not like he's building an army of flamethrower-equipped killbots.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 28, 2018

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wow, they went all-out on the simulation, that piezoelectric generator in the divination chip means you're actually shaking the thing, not just pressing a button. I wonder if there's an accelerometer to determine when you've "cast" the oracle. And it's cost-saving, too, using microscopically-milled yarrow stalks means you can make several chips out of a single stalk of yarrow.

Do you have something in your prototyper that can simulate a coin flip, and if so, how would a knockoff I Ching using it stack up to the EK1 in terms of cost/power?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tombot posted:

You know what this calls for right? Oracle powered Vapes!

Ghost fortunetelling!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Alternative interpretation: 3D intersections! Add a vertical passage running through the intersection and now it's six-way. I stand by my earlier spaceship claim. :colbert:

Yeah, this sounds feasible. High-density food production, high occupancy, automated or high-traffic transit networks. Could be a spaceship. Could be a moonbase. He could just be trying to improve on Kowloon Walled City.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Quackles posted:

Veldt grass? What?
Does California even have a veldt?

(Don't get me started on 'WiFi Wash', either.)

California's veldt exists in (and now around) the private preserves of a few exotic animal collectors in the warm semi-arid regions of Southern California, who sponsored a genetic engineering firm to adjust the appropriate African flora to the Californian climate. I was part of a team developing an automatic herbicidal fence to try and prevent cross-pollination between them and the local species.

It failed because the project manager didn't understand how far seeds can spread, then the company failed because they repurposed the design for home security. I get so tired of explaining the whole Pepper Fence debacle to prospective employers. I'm not the Pepper Fence guy! I'm a guy that worked on what became the Pepper Fence! The guy that can be called the Pepper Fence guy bailed with his golden parachute and is living in Moldova! The team got postcards! He was taunting us! This is why I look at unexpected use cases, because when I don't it results in class action lawsuits. Yes, I'm the guy annoying the rest of the meeting by saying "If this part gets installed backwards by accident or malice this will be launching pets at high speed" but you have to remember, Pepper Fence.

As for WiFi Wash, I grew up in the era of "Your computer is broadcasting an IP address" scams, I could see WiFi fear making sales.

(Things I googled while making this post: Veldt, California geography, countries without US extradition treaties.)
Fake e: "Oh, I should actually google Pepper Fence just to make sure it doesn't- oh jesus it actually exists"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Y'know, it's been a while since I checked this blog, I wonder-

washable e-ink clothing? :ohno:

I love the concept, but I would not want to be anywhere near a team dedicated to finding that hardware solution. The easy part is the battery pack and scanner, that can go on a cable in the pocket and be detachable, but waterproofing the plug and the e-ink fabric is gonna be a Sisyphean ordeal. Worst case scenario, you need to utter the phrase "personal home dry cleaning," and heaven help the engineer in that meeting when the boss hears that. Especially if they think it's the best idea they've heard in weeks.

And your manufacturing costs are going to be high enough that a consumer will want to wash them to get more use out of them, we can't go disposable like that recycled paper jumpsuit printer. You remember, the ones that fell apart in the rain?

And that drink mixer is... Surprisingly feasible. Joe really has turned it around. I know three guys that would want one for home, one for the office, and one for their car. One of them doesn't own a self-driving, though, so I'm a little concerned about him.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Harmony Sitar and the Chorus Piano sounds like a Harry Potter knockoff done by someone that wants to get kids more into music.

Magnificent work, I once set up a doorbell in Minecraft using note blocks and that's as far as my entity-oriented programming skills go.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, wow. I see everything Carl's saying, but you would have to physically restrain me from slamming that "yes" button. The only thing that would limit me in my case is I would know exactly how janky and kludged together the things I designed were. But you? You're good, man, go for it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Meanwhile, thanks mostly to this thread, I got the Zachtronics bundle on sale and while I'm not that keen on the programming language games like this and TIS-100, I enjoy the object-oriented ones like Infinifactory and Opus Magnum.

In Opus Magnum, I came up with a solution that makes me feel like a real engineer. I put together an efficient, elegant machine that accidentally put half of the solution together backwards. Instead of tearing apart and rebuilding half the machine, I rotated one piece and ran a bunch of track to get the offending piece together properly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Carbon dioxide posted:

This post confused the hell out of me at first. Object-oriented is a program language style, used in languages such as Java and C#. Infinifactory and Opus Magnum don't have any Java or C# programming. But I get what you mean.

Oops, yeah, I used "entity-based" previously, and that's a more apropos term, dealing with discrete "physical" objects and issuing simple commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A liquid salt reactor, at least the one I'm familiar with, runs at about 2,000 degrees Celsius. Fortunately, you have a lot of ocean to put heat exchangers in, but it still seems mildly inadvisable.