Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

At least there's decent money in vapes, just gotta remove that grotesque 'art' they wanted on them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Ghost shifts have almost always been a thing, where did you think all of the extremely good counterfeits come from? There's enough of them to fill entire shopping centers.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Modern programers are spoiled by fast processors and spare memory. It's suprising how inefficient many of the compilers for higher level languages can be. Working close to the iron is one of the only ways to truly optimize execution speed and memory usage.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 18, 2018

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Don't forget that China isn't the only country to use that currency symbol, in fact the specific version of it you used "¥" came out of the Japanese IME, this is the version out of the Chinese IME "¥"

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Junpei posted:

Does Shenzhen have any good local music?

It's honestly a bit disappointing...

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I've worked security for a rather large hotel (36 floors) and master key control is a major issue. They are only signed out for a single shift and if any of them doesn't come back we had to reprogram every lock in the tower.

That said master keys are not the same magnetic cards as the customer cards, they are chipped smartcards. The master keys only use their smartchip reader and completely lack the magstripe of customer cards.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 7, 2018

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Planes generate their own power so in that use case the only factors that matter are total cost and time needed to run a cycle. That said designing it with an eye towards reuse in future projects is a great idea.

On a side note, why is the vermouth being used to ruin a perfectly good drink?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Dareon posted:

In Opus Magnum, I came up with a solution that makes me feel like a real engineer. I put together an efficient, elegant machine that accidentally put half of the solution together backwards. Instead of tearing apart and rebuilding half the machine, I rotated one piece and ran a bunch of track to get the offending piece together properly.

Reminds me of the time a new breed of tomato was developed just to avoid re-engineering a new mechanical harvester.

Edit: I definitely understand not wanting to completely tear apart a functional system to fix something stupid, it results in things like this https://m.imgur.com/M6D0r7O

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Do you have a link to a write-up on this?

https://news.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/2015/07/24/how-the-mechanical-tomato-harvester-prompted-the-food-movement/

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/03/08/archives/and-now-california-develops-a-square-tomato.html