Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Traffic thread for complaints and discussion.

Now that I live in a rural area I have a lot of older people around me who like to rush through a stop sign in order to get in front of me, only to go 10 under the speed limit. It's driving me absolutely insane because it happens almost every day and I have no passing zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
On the way home from work there is a 5-6 lane highway, but someone always manages to chill in the left lane going greatly under the speed limit. Usually the perpetrator is a minivan.

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
none of it will matter once skynet takes over and kills us all with cute self-driving Priuses OP

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I have a tunnel that I have to go through to get into downtown. Without fail, traffic grinds to a halt at this.

It's 2 lanes into the tunnel and 2 lanes out. There's literally no difference from outside the tunnel to in it. But without fail, people will slow down 10-20 mph when they hit the tunnel. You'll see people riding their brakes the whole way through. This causes a massive backup in traffic, sometimes leading to congestion going back miles as people have to slam on their brakes to adjust to traffic.

Is it because the ceiling's low? Are people scared of the dark? I dunno, but it's absolutely infuriating.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

A Fancy Hat posted:

I have a tunnel that I have to go through to get into downtown. Without fail, traffic grinds to a halt at this.

It's 2 lanes into the tunnel and 2 lanes out. There's literally no difference from outside the tunnel to in it. But without fail, people will slow down 10-20 mph when they hit the tunnel. You'll see people riding their brakes the whole way through. This causes a massive backup in traffic, sometimes leading to congestion going back miles as people have to slam on their brakes to adjust to traffic.

Is it because the ceiling's low? Are people scared of the dark? I dunno, but it's absolutely infuriating.

Hampton Roads?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Over There posted:

Hampton Roads?

Squirrel Hill Tunnel in Pittsburgh.

They've had people do studies on the tunnel to find out why people slow down. They raised the ceiling, thinking that would do it. Nope. People are just awful drivers and terrified of driving in this tunnel.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

Traffic thread for complaints and discussion.

Now that I live in a rural area I have a lot of older people around me who like to rush through a stop sign in order to get in front of me, only to go 10 under the speed limit. It's driving me absolutely insane because it happens almost every day and I have no passing zones.

This sounds horrible

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i am actually a car in real life. i am posting this by putting my tires on the keyboard. they are firestone P235/75R15 ATXs and shortly after making this post i will dramatically flip over on the interstate, killing all of my passengers

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Why are you maintaining speed in my blind spot? You're blocking all passing traffic...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
There's some phenomenon where some idiots like to drive the same exact speed as the car next to them, even when they're in the passing land and should be going around.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I live in a state where people loving love to gawk at crashes. Even from the other side of the freeway. So if there's a crash, even just a loving fender bender, both directions of traffic will come to a near stand still with retards slowing down to go "Durrr a car crash!? Never seen that before, better slow down to 5 mph to see the action!"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bradzilla posted:

I live in a state where people loving love to gawk at crashes. Even from the other side of the freeway. So if there's a crash, even just a loving fender bender, both directions of traffic will come to a near stand still with retards slowing down to go "Durrr a car crash!? Never seen that before, better slow down to 5 mph to see the action!"

That's every state

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Over There posted:

That's every state

:hmmyes:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Goddamned rubberneckers :doom:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I don’t get why people tailgate me when there’s a caravan of vehicles ahead of us. Is their perception the 20 car caravan ahead of us is my fault? Do they believe if they tailgate me I’ll then tailgate the car ahead of me and there will be a domino effect wherein the caravan will go faster? :confused:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
People who drive 40mph on country roads because they're scared to go 60 who then blast through the 20/30 residential zones at 40 op

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Kuato posted:

I don’t get why people tailgate me when there’s a caravan of vehicles ahead of us. Is their perception the 20 car caravan ahead of us is my fault? Do they believe if they tailgate me I’ll then tailgate the car ahead of me and there will be a domino effect wherein the caravan will go faster? :confused:

Yeah out of everything thats one of the worst. In that situation there is no excuse not to be following at a safe distance. Its doubly stupid because in my state if you hit someone from behind you are at fault 99 percent of the time.

Also compulsive window cleaners. You car just peed on my car you son of a bitch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

people who indicate wrong on roundabouts annoy me. either by not doing so or indicating they're going all the way around a small one but going straight over. Particularly annoying when there are 2 lanes leading up to it and the other lane wouldn't ever go onto it

i got stuck behind some dick who would break right up to a turn and then indicate they were going to turn yesterday

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Jose posted:

people who indicate wrong on roundabouts annoy me. either by not doing so or indicating they're going all the way around a small one but going straight over. Particularly annoying when there are 2 lanes leading up to it and the other lane wouldn't ever go onto it

i got stuck behind some dick who would break right up to a turn and then indicate they were going to turn yesterday

I was in DC on Sunday and was behind a car that stopped in the middle of a roundabout because they almost missed their exit and were waiting for the cars to the right of them to clear. They were absolutely flabbergasted that I was honking at them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Over There posted:

On the way home from work there is a 5-6 lane highway, but someone always manages to chill in the left lane going greatly under the speed limit. Usually the perpetrator is a minivan.
What's it like living in Florida?

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if you think about it, cars are kind of like butts except instead of poop and farts they emit oil and exhaust fumes

also i can fit more people in my car than i can in my butt. but i'm working on that :goatsecx:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bradzilla posted:

:piaa:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

People who get into my left turn lane going the wrong way trying to turn into a business on the other side of the road. You could have just gone straight at the intersection and taken a right. Businesses on the corner tend to have two entrances for a loving reason. Now I have to stare at your dumb face because you're blocking my lane while you wait for 3 lanes of traffic to make a gap for you to turn and I miss my loving green light.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I live near an intersection that's in the middle of a long downhill slope. Due to the layout you cannot see oncoming traffic if you're making a left-hand turn at the same time someone else is opposite you.

People make a blind dash for it and are constantly getting t-boned, about once a week. Stop doing this you idiots!

It's a pretty intersection - all the crushed glass make the roads sort of sparkle in the sunlight.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I have an extremely busy intersection with simple 2 way one lane roads. They are going to be putting a roundabout in place of it. I can't wait to see the carnage of people not knowing what to do.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Over There posted:

people in gbs always using phrases like "the left lane" and "the right lane" when these are terms that only have meaning contextually; specifically, they only have meaning when the reader knows which side of the road people drive on in your country

i mean i know you actually are american because everybody here is. but i bet if I complained about someone's driving in a thread like this and referred matter-of-factly to the "left lane" or "right lane" everyone would get really confused and irritated even though I'd be using them accurately, because they mean the opposite here to what most people reading would assume they ought to mean

however, i'm unlikely ever to do this because i don't care enough about bad driving to post about it. i only care about bad choices of terminology people make when they are expressing their thoughts about driving on a dead internet forum

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I used to live on the corner of an intersection of two main roads in a suburb of Denver. I would consider it a pretty safe intersection: good visibility, left turn lanes with their own arrows, reasonably long yellow lights. Yet at least once a week there would be an accident there. Distracted drivers :argh:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Hammerite posted:

people in gbs always using phrases like "the left lane" and "the right lane" when these are terms that only have meaning contextually; specifically, they only have meaning when the reader knows which side of the road people drive on in your country

i mean i know you actually are american because everybody here is. but i bet if I complained about someone's driving in a thread like this and referred matter-of-factly to the "left lane" or "right lane" everyone would get really confused and irritated even though I'd be using them accurately, because they mean the opposite here to what most people reading would assume they ought to mean

however, i'm unlikely ever to do this because i don't care enough about bad driving to post about it. i only care about bad choices of terminology people make when they are expressing their thoughts about driving on a dead internet forum

this guy drives under the speed limit in the left lane

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Over There posted:

this guy drives under the speed limit in the left lane

Only when you're behind me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hammerite posted:

:goonsay:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I was in DC on Sunday and was behind a car that stopped in the middle of a roundabout because they almost missed their exit and were waiting for the cars to the right of them to clear. They were absolutely flabbergasted that I was honking at them.

lol i'd be mad as heck

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Hammerite posted:

Only when you're behind me

1v1 me in fortnite scrub im ripped

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

if you think about it, cars are kind of like butts except instead of poop and farts they emit oil and exhaust fumes

also i can fit more people in my car than i can in my butt. but i'm working on that :goatsecx:

Sportscar butt lol. :v:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I like driving slow and taking my time. I also do not like dealing with merging traffic. My solution is to just drive slow in the left lane and let people pass on my right. :frogc00l:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Hammerite posted:

go play in traffic retard

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I like driving slow and taking my time. I also do not like dealing with merging traffic. My solution is to just drive slow in the left lane and let people pass on my right. :frogc00l:

mods

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

interesting, if true...

ok im tracing the post... get your units in position and prepare to move in

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hammerite posted:

stfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Here is a helpful tip to make driving better. Chill the gently caress out and stop stressing. Being behind some 80 year old going below the limit will only make a tiny difference. It isn't worth it to get angry.

Edit:

Ok, I take it all back. Get angry

Indy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 15, 2018

• Locked thread