Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Drone Jett posted:

I'm lacking context, but in the quoted passage they don't seem like peaceful protesters, the seem like poorly armed combatants. Get out of the way.
They're Goodkind's attempted caricature of actual antiwar protesters. They don't seem peaceful because they're written by a dipshit with an axe to grind, but he can't even convincingly make them out as worthy targets for Rahl's wholesale slaughter because he explicitly made them unarmed (because his message is that protesters are evil because they protest; anything further would muddy his ridiculous point).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

They're Goodkind's attempted caricature of actual antiwar protesters. They don't seem peaceful because they're written by a dipshit with an axe to grind, but he can't even convincingly make them out as worthy targets for Rahl's wholesale slaughter because he explicitly made them unarmed (because his message is that protesters are evil because they protest; anything further would muddy his ridiculous point).

I just don’t see how they’re different than protesters linking arms on the Normandy beaches or in front of Lee’s lines at Gettysburg. Move or get mown down.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Drone Jett posted:

I just don’t see how they’re different than protesters linking arms on the Normandy beaches or in front of Lee’s lines at Gettysburg. Move or get mown down.
Yes, that is genuinely how he saw people who wanted to stop the war in Iraq. You think you're describing something so stupid that it has to be a missed point, but the goddamn liberals actually are as good as enemy combatants in that worldview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qdvm6h8WKg

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 19, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Katt posted:

Wasn't Columbo ripped straight from "crime and punishment"?

I'm sure I read a rather convincing account somewhere a few years ago about Columbo the character being ripped off from some foreign TV show but I can't loving find anything about it now so I guess I dreamed it?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tree Goat posted:

neil gaiman voluntarily married amanda “loving” palmer

My friend wants to know what's up with Amanda Palmer and also why the books subforum hates Gaiman so much.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

In the world that Goodkind precisely constructed, a strawman of peacenik libs takes the one action that would potentially justify getting mown down.

if that's not an obvious construction the author is using to pleasure himself to the thought of murdering war protestors, then I don't know what is.

e. whew that was an old post I responded too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Drimble Wedge posted:

My friend wants to know what's up with Amanda Palmer and also why the books subforum hates Gaiman so much.

she had a Ted talk about how rewarding it was for her as a wealthy person to exploit fans by crashing on their couch for free anytime she travelled or something

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Oh poo poo, that definitely something bad people do.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Drimble Wedge posted:

She's annoying and lovely.

https://www.themarysue.com/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-amanda-palmer/

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

She basically sounds like the friend that thrives on personal drama and plays it off as being an artistic free soul and nobody really wants to call her out on it bc then the drama is focused on you, except she's a successful artist who has a ton of money and definitely should at least be acting like it when it comes to paying people and staying places. Like I don't really care if she's annoying or overdramatic because I'm not her friend and don't have to be to listen to her music, but it's her exploitive industry stuff that gets my hackles up. You've got to try to compensate people properly even when you're a struggling indie artist, and she is not a struggling indie artist.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was happy when I heard Gaiman was divorcing her, but apparently that didn't happen. It sounds like they're living separately though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

his moment of “hacked” Goodreads account was pretty great tho

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol I forgot she’s an actual millionaire, yet still has the audacity to use that online tip jar to beg for money, and I think even tried posting a heartfelt “in these trying times, it’s more important than ever to support artists such as myself, subscribe to my patreon here” when the pandemic hit, as if she was supposed to be a starving artist

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Amanda Palmer was the same one who faked her suicide to record her then bf's reaction right? Can't imagine a better person to have bad things happen to them.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

:stare:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Didn't she also have some sort of insane nuclear hot take about the Boston Marathon Bombers? Like how the hot one was just some kind of poor misunderstood soul?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Didn't she also have some sort of insane nuclear hot take about the Boston Marathon Bombers? Like how the hot one was just some kind of poor misunderstood soul?
"A Poem for Dzhokhar"

ed: some brilliant comments there at the bottom

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lmao

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

I was happy when I heard Gaiman was divorcing her, but apparently that didn't happen. It sounds like they're living separately though.

They had such a bad argument in May that he left New Zealand and moved back to the UK.

Mid-pandemic, violating travel bans.

I used to think he was incredibly cool. I can't tell if that was younger me being very stupid, or if he went down Crazy Lane.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spacing in vienna posted:

They had such a bad argument in May that he left New Zealand and moved back to the UK.

I used to think he was incredibly cool. I can't tell if that was younger me being very stupid, or if he went down Crazy Lane.

You can travel, just have to quarantine.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

He moved from the country that handle the pandemic the best to like second worst :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think he was always kind of narcissistic and enjoyed the slavish devotion of nerd fans especially because they hang on his every word and respond enthusiastically to attention. Amanda Palmer apparently first got his attention by mailing nude pictures of herself to him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also his dad is the head of the UK branch of the church of scientology and everybody assumes Neil can't be one because he's never said anything about it, but he's never actually said anything about it and so nobody knows, really.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Either he doesn't care in the least about Scientologmoy or he's a good enough writer that nothing of that comes across.
considering all his works I've read so far my money is on option #1.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like if I had scientologists in the family I'd disavow them and tell the world about the crimes they were complicit in that I'd probably know something about, but I guess I don't really know what I would do. And maybe the UK ones don't kidnap people and starve or enslave them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And maybe the UK ones don't kidnap people and starve or enslave them.
All I know about them is that they're in the UK, so I have a hard time believing that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

All I know about them is that they're in the UK, so I have a hard time believing that.

It's possible they don't do it as part of their specific religious duties, though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like if I had scientologists in the family I'd disavow them and tell the world about the crimes they were complicit in that I'd probably know something about, but I guess I don't really know what I would do. And maybe the UK ones don't kidnap people and starve or enslave them.

they are like the most irrelevant cult around these days, a far cry from the big baddie they postured as ca. 2006-2008

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

L. Ron Hubbard is a suitable man for this thread, go listen to the Dollop episode because it's loving WILD.
I guarantee you don't know half the poo poo he pulled.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Everyone I've ever met who has had any interactions with Gaiman have always commented on how nice and kind he was.

On the other hand, two divorces.

He's probably just a weird dude with good intentions and bad execution.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A Socratic approach to things.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This describes a huge percentage of his fans so that's a fair call.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Neil Gaiman writes manic pixie dream girls (competently and with some nuance, in my opinion)

Amanda Palmer is the real-life version of a manic pixie dream girl.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cobalt-60 posted:

Neil Gaiman writes manic pixie dream girls (competently and with some nuance, in my opinion)

Goddam don't know which of.them you're burning worse here

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Cobalt-60 posted:

But she was so good in Pulp Fiction!

No one has mentioned L. Frank Baum. Before writing the Wizard of Oz, he ran a muckraking newspaper that stirred up anti-Sioux sentiment in order to increase sales. He contributed to the circumstances that led to the massacre at Wounded Knee, and openly advocated for genociding Native Americans (although some claim it was "ironic" advocating for genocide). He failed at most of his business endeavors, and was a mediocre author who was lucky enough to have one very successful book series that he milked for every penny he could, but squandered much of his fortune on luxuries. Also an outspoken spiritualist who claimed his dead relatives whispered story ideas to him. Arguably, his most important contribution to society was being an early investor and promoter of a novel new technology called motion pictures.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Buttchocks posted:

Also an outspoken spiritualist who claimed his dead relatives whispered story ideas to him.

that's awesome

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Buttchocks posted:

But she was so good in Pulp Fiction!

No one has mentioned L. Frank Baum. Before writing the Wizard of Oz, he ran a muckraking newspaper that stirred up anti-Sioux sentiment in order to increase sales. He contributed to the circumstances that led to the massacre at Wounded Knee, and openly advocated for genociding Native Americans (although some claim it was "ironic" advocating for genocide). He failed at most of his business endeavors, and was a mediocre author who was lucky enough to have one very successful book series that he milked for every penny he could, but squandered much of his fortune on luxuries. Also an outspoken spiritualist who claimed his dead relatives whispered story ideas to him. Arguably, his most important contribution to society was being an early investor and promoter of a novel new technology called motion pictures.

pretty much every Oz book past the first is unbearable dogshit....so this tracks.

I had never heard about the genocide promotion, so I went to his Wikipedia article, and it's pretty incredible. You could tell half of it was written by his fans with lines like

quote:

Baum had a flair for being the spotlight of fun in the household, including during times of financial difficulties. His selling of fireworks made the Fourth of July memorable. His skyrockets, Roman candles, and fireworks filled the sky, while many people around the neighborhood would gather in front of the house to watch the displays. Christmas was even more festive. Baum dressed as Santa Claus for the family. His father would place the Christmas tree behind a curtain in the front parlor so that Baum could talk to everyone while he decorated the tree without people managing to see him. He maintained this tradition all his life.

living next to

quote:

Baum reiterated that he believed, due to the history of mistreatment of Native Americans, that extermination of the "untamed and untamable" tribes was necessary to protect American settlers. Baum ended the editorial with the following anecdote: "An eastern contemporary, with a grain of wisdom in its wit, says that 'when the whites win a fight, it is a victory, and when the Indians win it, it is a massacre.'"[45]

"we treated them poorly, therefore we should probably just finish the job."

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I like the Oz books because they have a lot of imagination, but I'm not going to argue that they're great literature by any stretch. Most of his other non-Oz books were forgettable young adult trash mostly published under pseudonyms. I'd be surprised if any of them are still in print.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My US history teacher in high school was really fond of the interpretation that The Wizard of Oz was all a big metaphor for American politics and the gold standard. I haven’t thought about it since then but how seriously is that theory taken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

wizzardstaff posted:

My US history teacher in high school was really fond of the interpretation that The Wizard of Oz was all a big metaphor for American politics and the gold standard. I haven’t thought about it since then but how seriously is that theory taken?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The ostensible allegory is about bimetallism, the use of both gold and silver standards, and presumes that Baum was a populist Democrat even though that was not the case. While the allegory does work in many ways (the key is that Dorothy walks on the yellow brick road with silver slippers in the book, rather than ruby), it's probably as intentional as the movie's synchronicity with The Dark Side of the Moon. Here's a good paper on the subject. The biggest problem with the allegorical reading is that Baum supported the gold standard and was against silver – if he wanted the book to be an allegory about the backing of currency, he wouldn't have made Dorothy's slippers silver.