Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Really looking forward to the new game! :D Looks like an interesting setting for sure.

Mike_V posted:

I've been playing this for about a month now and I always run into trouble after making my hospital pretty big. Is it possible to run a hospital where you've trained a bunch of your staff to their max level and not lose money each month? One of the appeals to me is training a bunch of my staff to be super specialized, but I'm hitting a hurdle when they outpace my income.

Few months late and it's kind of cheesy (so I'll spoiler), but if you set Diagnosis price to -100% and Treatment to +100% price (or some variation of) you can make mega profits. The reason it works is the patients are made so happy by their free diagnosis that they'll pay absurd amounts for their treatment (most of the time). Using this method at the end of Wave 42 of Topless Mountain I had 90%+ cure rate with $24 million in the bank. :laugh: My regular hospitals were usually $1mil+ in the green or close to that.

Edit: forgot to mention but if you do the above it'll tank your Reputation, so you'll have to build a Marketing room with 2-3 marketing assistants to offset it if you have a reputation objective.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Mike_V posted:

lol topless mountain is where i tapped out and never looked back. I was humming for a while but then it all started falling apart (constant natural disasters are not a fun or interesting gameplay element for me)

The good thing about Topless is that patients always pay the treatment cost regardless of their happiness. So you can safely crank it to +100% and build & hire everything you need then just hit fast-forward for the last bulk of the waves. :cool:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't seem to lower the prices below -80%, but doing what you said with -80% diagnostics and +80% treatment has made money a non-factor.

My reputation actually didn't fall when I did this, but it only seemed to rise from doing special events. That's not a huge deal on scenarios with no reputation requirement, since at max rep I usually get more patients than my hospital can handle at any given time.

Yeah, the weird thing is that high reputation is usually more trouble than it's worth because if it's too high then you end up swamped by patients, whereas at 0 reputation it's kept at a manageable amount. :psyduck:

Will be interesting to see if they rebalance things in the next game.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Just finished 3 starring the first campus through Game Pass and the game seems pretty fun. Seems like easier gameplay than TPH but it's too early to tell how the difficulty will ramp up.

Also my game likes to randomly crash to desktop occasionally without any errors. But that could just be the Xbox app doing Xbox app things... :sigh:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

It seems like upgrading to Windows 11 fixed the game crashes I was having as I just 3 starred the second level without any problems (after having 10-15 crashes in the first level).

Also fixed the MS Store and Xbox apps that were completely glitched, so that's a plus. :shobon:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zadda posted:

What I do miss is the ability to have an overview for the assigned tasks for your staff in one view.
At the moment if you want to check or change their assigned jobs you need to pull them up individually whereas in the previous game you could get an overview of everyone at once which was much more convenient. So hopefully they patch that in :)

Yeah it seems strange they left that out (unless it's hidden somewhere), as I like to have dedicated researchers and dedicated library staff. Still possible to do through individual staff panels but it's a bit more finnicky.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

This seems like a handy tip from reddit. You should set cohort sizes to multiples of 8 or 16 because lecture theatres and labs are fixed at 8 capacity no matter how big or small you make them:

Very good tip, thanks :D

skooma512 posted:

From reddit.

"The constant attacks that turn entire rooms into pumpkinheads is a nightmare. On top of these guys constantly getting into potion accidents and picking up pastoral conditions because they’re too upset by the pumpkin head thing to sleep."

I haven't gotten to the Hogwarts map yet where this starts happening, I'm on the Knight one where people turn up to trash stuff.

To stay on top of that and 3 star the level I ended up with three Medical Offices with the healing machines upgraded to level 3 and assistants with rank 5+ in first-aid. Also helped to spread them around campus as best I could as travel distance is also an issue in that level (students get a 'map marker' icon above their head).

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 12, 2022

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I didn’t have any trouble 3 starring as I went.

Hell, for some levels I just went AFK with the game left in fast-forward mode while the 3 star objectives complete. :v:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Something I didn't get until watching a video, students recover health while being outdoors, so consider constructing attractive spaces outdoors. Put some of these major specific entertainment items between buildings, or some of the club activity items.

Yeah I always put all the club recruitment stands and their items outside in one area, along with one of each food/drink stand and any other random outdoor item that student's request (park bench, garden plot, duck bush etc). Doing so really helps cut down on the corridor clutter too!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Is it just me, or are blueprints not that useful? Buildings vary so much in size and layout that any blueprint I use is either too big or too small. And when they're too big, I can't just plop it down and then edit it into the right size. It's frustrating and I'm sure I'm missing something that will make me feel very dumb.

You can make buildings bigger to fit in larger room by clicking the Edit button with the building selected.

Otherwise for the most part I had a smaller cheaper template of most rooms to use in the early game when money is tight and a more expensive & larger template of the same room for when I'm swimming in cash in the late game (since I'm lazy I just delete the cheap room and replace it with said expensive room template).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Alchenar posted:

e: low key top tip: people don't do jobs between academic years, but they will look after their own needs. Take a couple of months out before mashing the start year button so everyone has time to sleep shower and eat.

It’s also the best time to complete happiness and attractiveness objectives as those tend to go to poo poo when the year starts :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Yeah in those later levels I had like 3-5 level 3 training rooms training up staff (which is probably overkill but it worked). For teachers I leveled up their core skill as well as inspirational speech (IS), and I had designated tutors trained in high tuition + IS. Also useful is having designated librarian assistants with high library skill.