Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watched some intro gameplay and im so stoked!!! this and monhun are gonna keep me real busy for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

When I played through the DS games during the Imp Zone Dragon Quest Summer the series didn't get long until VI. VI is kinda eh, with the weird multi dream world continents being kind of confusing to navigate. And it goes for a long while...VII was also huge and VIII is just awesomely epic in scale, I can't wait for XI.

i prefer a short rpg because theres less chance of me burning out halfway through the game after playing for 60 hours

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

most rpg main quests are too long by like 10 hours

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I started a file in DQVI now lol, I probably won't finish by the time this comes out

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

VI is good but it's probably my least favorite of that era, the story didn't grab me as hard as IV or V. Job system is always fun though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's unbelievable to me how badly I want to play this game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so did the switch version get quietly killed? any updates on that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

so did the switch version get quietly killed? any updates on that?

The last update was from like a year ago where they said they had to start the whole project over since the version of UE they were working with was outdated and wouldn't work on switch hardware.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Waiting 3 years to play the worst version of the game ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'll be getting this on PC. It's coming out on PC right?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes same date as ps4

if you're patient maybe someone will patch in the good version of the music

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Waiting 3 years to play the worst version of the game ftw

already got it on pc and was just curious, but its hosed up that it was the first system it was announced for and now no one knows if it's ever coming out

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

already got it on pc and was just curious, but its hosed up that it was the first system it was announced for and now no one knows if it's ever coming out

they announced it for nx before anyone knew that the switch would be 2 android phones taped together unable to run unreal engine games at more than 10 fps

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If my math checks out that makes 1 android phone=4 gamecubes

envelopode
Aug 23, 2018

Been lurking on and off and finally decided to make an account. Are there any gotchas to know about before I start DQ8, if I'm new to the series? Or should I play a different one first. I don't have anything that will be able to run DQ11 right now sadly.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

envelopode posted:

Been lurking on and off and finally decided to make an account. Are there any gotchas to know about before I start DQ8, if I'm new to the series? Or should I play a different one first. I don't have anything that will be able to run DQ11 right now sadly.

Get a drink, have a good time now. Welcome to paradise.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

envelopode posted:

You can't get enough skill points to max out everything and there's no way to respec (unless they added this in versions after the PS2 game?), but also it's not that hard a game and you can't really screw yourself over. None of the skill tree branches are bad or anything -- but a lot of the final skills in each tree are really cool, so it's not a bad idea to pick one to max out for each character. There's no real "wrong" way to build though, just know you can't max out everything. It's been a long time since i've played but it is probably the best DQ game to start with unless you're craving a more retro experience, so have fun :)

edit: And before the trolls come after me obviously make sure you get and equip the Forlorn Wolf Coat

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

envelopode posted:

You will not need to grind unless you want to go deep into the post-game content. Status effects are useful against random encounters. Debuffs are useful against bosses.

It's better for a character to specialize in a small number of skill trees than to try to generalize, because you won't get enough skill points to max out everything.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also welcome to the forums and good work choosing to post in the Imp Zone . It's unreal to me that new people are still registering lol but i'm grateful

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

envelopode posted:

Welcome

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol I remember when introducing yourself was an instant ban now we're all hello would you like some lemonade?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Lol I remember when introducing yourself was an instant ban now we're all hello would you like some lemonade?

He’s :he first person to sign up to the forums in 3 years cut him a break

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xbox Ambassador posted:

envelopode
Aug 23, 2018

Thanks. I was a nintendo kid and I'm just now getting to play through a bunch of the PS2 classics. FF12 is getting grindy and it's pissing me off, so I think I might drop it for this soon.

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Everywhere else sucks and is getting worse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was also a Nintendo kid and picked up a PS2 like 3 years ago and had a blast playing through a lots of great JRPGs, including DQVIII. I can't wait for XI!

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

envelopode posted:

Thanks. I was a nintendo kid and I'm just now getting to play through a bunch of the PS2 classics. FF12 is getting grindy and it's pissing me off, so I think I might drop it for this soon.

You’re right

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
nintendo, ps2, final fantasy, and forum posting ftw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Oh don't get me wrong I totally support the kinder gentler approach.

Playstation JRPGs are definitely FTW especially if you can play remakes or use emulators that let you fast forward some of the more tedious parts.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

envelopode posted:

youre in for a huge treat, welcome

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

8 is my favorite due to the voice acting and the small party. I have nothing against a big crew like in previous games but I prefer the core 4 with customizable builds. It also looks incredible on a crt setup

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

8 is my favorite due to the voice acting and the small party. I have nothing against a big crew like in previous games but I prefer the core 4 with customizable builds. It also looks incredible on a crt setup

i got massive anxiety from my party options in dqv lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

suddenly unable to proceed in a game because i want all my friends along for the ride

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All else being equal, RPGs where you don't have to decide who warms the bench are better than ones where you do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

envelopode posted:

Yeah, you'll fit in great here.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

All else being equal, RPGs where you don't have to decide who warms the bench are better than ones where you do.

Agreed, even Persona 5 stresses me out with this with the generous XP given to benched party members (which I understand can be upgraded even more so they're basically getting the full deal) -- obviously the social link system contributes to that stress even more tho because what if I want them in battle later and i've focused on some other party member instead? I'm on palace #4 and playing on normal mode so I can get away with just about anything but my brain still makes it hard to not stress about optimization -- I have to like repeat to myself mantra style "this game isn't very hard and I can just focus on whoever I think is cool" to keep from being stressed out lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, you'll fit in great here.

Agreed and homeboy basically just passed the imp zone tryouts six months in advance . Please give this man an av before he unleashes gender swap gas on all of us

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

nintendo, ps2, final fantasy, and forum posting ftw

want this on some nice embroidery with classic pixel art

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

It’s cool that Suikoden lets you bring six characters into battle but then they severely up the anxiety factor by giving you an insane amount of party members

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

Your kids are the strongest party members, then either your wife or a slime knight. I used to be real bad about this but I've gotten over it for the most part, especially in DQ since if you aren't laying out the dmg or heals you're getting benched kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Your kids are the strongest party members, then either your wife or a slime knight. I used to be real bad about this but I've gotten over it for the most part, especially in DQ since if you aren't laying out the dmg or heals you're getting benched kid.

My wife was kinda underlevelled by the time I got her back in the party but I kept her for lore reasons. I think I alternated between slime knight and some demon monster with really good damage.