Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 | 2-armor | x x x o o >

You want to cross a killing ground, do it hard and fast and don't look back. Make it in the confusion. Just one more half-seen target. Crazy fucker making a run for it helps. Whoever Dirt Home was dealing with, not much loyalty shown.

Tight against hard cover, peering around, reading the fight. Dirt Home and hers look pretty well hosed. Still time to tip the scales. Need to find a place to put my finger on them.

Lupara (4-harm close reload messy antique) and Sword (3-harm hand)
Read a Situation (+Sharp): 2d6+1 10
• Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
• Which enemy is the biggest threat?
• Who’s in control here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Cool=0 Hard-1 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+3 | 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | x x o o > | 2-advance

A guttural sound, like the roar of an ancient dragon. And through the dust and the smoke emerges a shape - the Basilisk. It's hi-beams blaze white against the sky - wearing the colors of blood and fire and necrotic flesh. It's drenched in the colors of the Spark military - blue and silver, and covered in bloody handprints - one Cenek's little touches. One for every kill, one for every slave he's taken. A woman is sitting behind the controls of it's rear-mounted autocannon (a 2A42, quite a dangerous thing), no doubt Cenek's new toy.

She can almost see the outline of his crooked, ugly face in her rear view mirror. Roz whimpers.

"Love, we will survive. I will never let him touch either of us. I promise." She whispers in Spark as her fingers stroke the curve of the instrument nook.

It steadies Roz, just a little. The Basilisk's autocannon lets out a high pitched scream, and dirt all around them rises up. Just the cover Liliana needs to hit the gas again and shake them. She yanks the wheel around and heads west, to the nearest town - Mowai Circle. Get to ground, attach herself to someone with muscle for a while - and then figure out how to steal that drat thing so she doesn't have to spend the rest of her life hiding from it. But first, she has something to say. She rolls down Roz's window and sticks her head out.

"Ну давай, Cenek! Припизди сюда по-быстренки, либо твоя охуительная женочка совсем увидит, что твая homokláda не стоит капли kundislizu! Vyliž mi, распиздежа!"

---------------------

OOC: Rolling to Outdistance Pursuer/lovely Ex-Fiance: 2d6+3 11

Cenek's ride is the Basilisk, a heavily armed and armored war-machine. It is fast, tough, and equipped with a rebuilt Russian 2A42 30mm autocannon. He uses it for slave-catching and hell-raising. It's painted in the blue and grey color scheme of the Spark armed forces and covered in handprints for each kill and slave caught by him and the Basilisk's crew.

Props to Lichtenstein for the Spark insults, as usual.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 13, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Cool+1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+2 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 1-armor | 1-barter | o o o o > | 1-advance

Okay... okay. Gotta breathe, gotta think. Shiggy's always been tough. I ain't keen on her being out alone, particularly in this shitfest, but she can take care of herself for the moment. Either she's hidden in back or I'll find her in the Circle. Mox? He's about to fuckin' cry his eyes out. Now, all the same, I'm gettin' the vibe that I should really finish this fucker off for keeps. Ain't looking to get stabbed again, that's for drat sure. So... I guess I gotta do the deed, but quiet-like. I ain't gonna scar the kid any more than his first kill is. I crouch down near him, put my good hand on his shoulder and say, "Some days fuckin' suck like that. If it makes ya feel any better, anyone would've done the same in your spot. I'm not big on killin', but I ain't gonna let anything happen to you two."

I peel off the mask, letting it hang loose, so he can get a look at how serious I am. I feel all old, a helluva lot older than the years'd make you think, and loving exhausted. That might just be the blood loss, though. I pat him on the shoulder again, then turn to Here's fuckin' meat sack. First thing's first. I'm gonna check that fucker's pulse, then pinch off the artery if he's still got one. Call me sappy, but I ain't gonna make it all gruesome. Quick and clean. Ish, anyhow. That should give me enough time to think of what the gently caress to tell Tiny, then once Mox is all put together again, I can have him patch me up a bit. Then... then Shiggy, then loving anywhere but here. Some days fuckin' suck, and that's all there is to it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird-1 | 0:00 | 1-barter | x x x o >

I shake. "Samuel Salt? I'm Typhon, and we're the Crags." Cato wanders up nearby, futzing with his magnum. He's been around a long time, he and I both know that the gun's in fine condition. Show of force, that's all. But casual. Cato knows how to be. "Now," I continue, "far as I see it, I'm playin' by your rules just fine. No disarm, no entry. Suits me fine, we camp all over the drat place. Of course, we'd prefer to be bunked up in a real place," I say, gesturing towards their wall, "but not at the cost of our weapons. Hell, I even made ya boi Loam a good fuckin' offer about it, but that's past. No, we're camping out on the road here, and if you think your rules apply to the road, Samuel Salt, I suggest you get out of Afphroni a little more often. You hear what I'm saying?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-nil | 3:00 | 2-armor | 3-barter | x x x o >

Wonderful, the fuckin' Sleestaks are comin' out to play. Tammy's got the right idea, of course, but man it'd be nice to have brought a field tent. At least the hill seems like a fairly defensible position. We'll probably have to sleep in shifts, it won't be a good night's sleep, but we'll survive. Hopefully. Compared to trying to drag our asses through the mud all night, just waiting to get picked off, it's betting on red and black. Still could hit 00, but we probably won't. Right?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torch

You back up against the hardest cover you can find, some old cement cinderblocks someone at some point set up as a defensive wall up on the elevated platform. It won't last if the onslaught continues, but it's something. From that vantage you can fully take in the destruction and reckon with what's happening.

Dirt Home's people are clearly losing. In the center of the attacking force, an old military-grade APC with a mounted machine gun is unloading fire into the vehicle bay, suppressing just about everyone from leaving cover, while a group of snipers remain trained on the entrance. The ground beneath you is slick with blood and covered in corpses. That machine gun is easily the biggest threat, and if it's not dealt with, it's only a matter of time until everyone inside dies. On the plus side, no one seems to be guarding it specifically, so there might be some way you could take it out if you acted fast enough or stealthily enough. For right now, the attackers absolutely hold control over the situation, but you've been in enough combat situations to know that could change in an instant.

What do you do?

Liliana

Roz screams with joy as you slam the pedal down, kicking up dirt and asphalt behind you. Basilisk was always fast, and you're sure in the time since you've been gone Cenek's only worked on making it faster, but he seems hesitant to follow you and leave his compatriots in the dust. He's always been a little scared of you, ever since that incident when the god-machines first spoke to you, and you have to imagine he wants to stack the odds as much in his favor as he can. As a result, you have no trouble getting away from him, although given that Mowai is the next stop on the road, you figure there's a decent chance they'll follow you there.

That fear isn't realized as you pull into Mowai a little after dusk. Like everyone else who lives life on the road, you've been here before. It's a mid-sized town, few hundred permanent residents, all built inside a giant old traffic circle. There's all manner of shops and bars and taverns and everything else a road warrior could want when they stop for the night, and just enough people it shouldn't be too hard to lay low for a bit. All the best when you're pretty sure Cenek could come any hour.

What do you do?

Giving you a bit of freedom here to make up a place of refuge for Liliana to hide in. Just let me know the name of the place, any contacts you've got there, and how you first learned about it.

Triage

Here-Not-There's still got a very moderate pulse. Mox probably put them into a coma, not that you have any intention of letting them wake back up from it. You pinch the artery and wait a minute or so until you're sure they're good and dead. Saved one life today and ended another, guess that happens on the road sometimes. Mox doesn't watch you do the deed, but you know that he knows what you did. Gonna have to have a sit down with the poor kid at some point, you'd wager.

First Response shifts a little bit as Tiny starts to stir. You know she'll be woozy for a few minutes yet, but it shouldn't be long until the drugs wear off and she's cogent enough to talk with you. And your wounds probably won't get worse without attention, but they're not gonna get better either. And Shigusa's still missing, of course. Here-Not-There might be dead, but the day's not done just yet. Need to prioritize your recovery.

What do you do?

Typhon

Samuel Salt spits on the ground. "This ain't the road, Typher." You're sure he caught your name before, this is some stupid power play. "You're standin' on Afphroni ground, and we're not afraid to protect it from thugs like you. You're not the first to flaunt the rules, and you ain't gonna be the last." Samuel reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small laser pointer, then holds it in his right hand, the aperture facing backward. A second later, a sniper shot rings out from somewhere and lands close enough to your feet to make you jump. You're not sure exactly where it came from, but the grain silos behind Samuel on the west edge of the compound seem like a reasonable guess.

"That's your warnin' shot, Typhal. Try anything other than leave this place, and that's gonna be that, for both you and your crew. Get out of Afphron, and do not come back. You understand me, boy?"

What do you do?

Burns

It might not be the safest spot, what with bandits always on the move and who-knows-what other kinds of twisted life in the shadows, but you figure the hill seems safer than continuing on in the black. Spc. Jackson agrees with you, although she's clearly a little nervous about the sounds you can hear. You suspect she's seen some of the poo poo that lurks in the night before, stuff you can still only imagine. If she's not urging you along then she can't be too scared, you figure.

The two of you pull your army-issued bedrolls out of your pack. Yours is still in reasonable pristine condition, while hers is tattered and worn. Looks like she was telling the truth about years on the road. "You got a preference as to who stays on watch first?"

What do you do?

Regardless of your choice, roll Make Camp. Gonna slightly modify the Make Camp move from The Perilous Wilds to decide what happens while you camp. Here's the text of the move we'll use:

quote:

If you're bedding down in dangerous lands, the MC chooses one person during the night to roll+nothing. On a 10+, the night passes without incident. On a 7-9, the MC chooses one from this list:
-The person on watch notices a nearby discovery
-One character suffers a restless night
-One or more followers cause trouble
-A danger approaches, but it's not immediately hostile
On a miss, a danger approaches and is immediately hostile.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cool=0 Hard-1 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+3 | 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | x x o o > | 2-advance

Roz grumbles to Liliana.

"Yes, I know. I promise I'll clean up your skin when we get home. You'll get a nice waxing too, OK?"

She shifts Roz into a lower gear and takes her into the streets of Mowai. They're pretty wide, with cars parked alongside every building - some with their drivers asleep in them. The biggest restaurant in town is a restored...she believes the term is "drive-at" and she goes right past. There's a biker gang chomping on Yellowtail kabobs and drinking slag-shakes at the moment, they barely notice Roz. Good. The dark and the bullet holes must be helping her look a little rattier than usual.

"We just have to lay low for a little while, love."

She's looking for a very specific place, the ruins of an...arcade? Is that the term? Yes, she's fairly sure. A friendly neon sign guides her to it - the Pinout. The walls are strung with colored lights and charms that flicker in the inky night. She puts Roz in the garage, puts a kiss on her hood, and then heads in. The whole place buzzes and whirs and sparks, it's packed with stolen shelving layered with electronics. The walls are smeared with UV paint that shines under even more colored lights. Music blares over tinny speakers.

"Hey, we're closed as-" A redheaded woman in her thirties looks up from workbench. "Oh poo poo, it's you."

She turns off the soldering iron she was working with, takes a swig of something that smells very alcoholic and very sweet.

"What is it this time Lili?"

She says in Spark, her voice is hard, but her eyes are soft.

"Cenek, I need to a place to hide for a little while. Is that OK? I can go if it isn't."

She's Dead-Wire, another touched by the God-Machines. An expert electrician, a friend, and just a little bit more. Dead-Wire pinches the bridge of her nose.

"No, no. Stay. I'm not letting you get your dumb rear end splattered all over the wastes on my account. I suppose Rozmazat is in the garage?"

Liliana nods. Dead-Wire sighs.

"I'll deal with her. You head back. If Rip Steakface shows up you know what to do."

Dead-Wire puts on a jacket, mutters under her breath as she trudges past Liliana. She shoves the bottle in Liliana's hands on the way.

"You're lucky you're so drat cute."

----------------------

OOC: Liliana will hide out with Dead-Wire, the closest thing she has to a friend out this way that she knows of. She runs an electronics shop in Mowai called the Pinout.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 14, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 | 2-armor | x x x x o >

Only way out is through. Wait for my moment, the gunner attending to their weapon. Out from cover, flat out, leap into the void. Round grazes my side, meant for someone else. Round hammers my shoulder, meant for me. Then I'm across.

Land hard, roll across armored plate. Rip the sword free as I come back to my feet. Silver arc of the blade connects with the Spark trying to level an SMG at me. Spray of red. He tumbles off the APC. I whirl in drive the blade down through the neck of the gunner just as they clear the jam. Use it as a lever to pull them out. Dive into the APC, head and lupara first. Boom of the shot sets my ears ringing, catches the driver as he turns. Slumps across the controls.

Something hard and sharp and cold drives into my leg. Yanks me back out into the fading light. Hook covered in my blood, chain leading to a Sparker's winch, coming up the ladder on the back. C-prod in the other hand, arcing as they drive it in. Lupara roars again at the same time my body locks up. Face behind the mask dissolves into red ruin. C-prod falls to the ground, get my limbs back. Reach down, grit my teeth, yank the hook free.

Scramble back to the machine gun. Charge it. Aim it. Hold down the trigger.

Lupara (4-harm close reload messy antique) and Sword (3-harm hand)
Seize by Force (APC MG) [+Hard, +Read Result]: 2d6+1 8
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You take definite and undeniable control of it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"I'll take first watch, you look like you need the rest. No offense. Again."

Make Camp: 2d6 4 lol gently caress off orokos

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Cool+1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+2 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 1-armor | 1-barter | x o o o > | 1-advance

Fuckin' RIP. None of that peace poo poo for this gently caress, though, they don't deserve it. I think about havin' that chat with Mox here and now, but there's still poo poo to do. I say, "Hey, Mox. Gonna check on the patient. Can you prep surgery? I'm gonna need some mesh and reddener before too long, but I want to find Shiggy before I'm down." I wait for a response, whether a grunt or just a blank look, then give him a nod. Kid's tougher than he knows. He'll be just fine, though a nip of my post-surgery booze might help loosen him up. No use bottling it all up inside, right? "And... thanks, kid. Might not be walkin' away from this one if it weren't for you."

With that, I make my way back into the infirmary. Tiny's a fuckin' minefield of problems, not least of which bein' the arm I owe her and, oh yeah, I just merked her boss for keeps. She might be pissed. I give her one of those long-suffering looks and say, "Fuckin' rough day, right?" A beat. "Ain't gonna play around. Here just bit it. Threatened Mox and Shiggy, disrespected the fuckin' sanctity of angeling, and, yeah, did a number on me. You want to boogey and ditch the arm thing? Fine. You want revenge? gently caress, it's just that kind of day. I ain't about to say you don't have cause. Your move, Tiny." I let silence fall as I consider her carefully. Not about to end someone I fuckin' worked to save, but if it's between her and the kids...

Read A Person: 2d6+2 7 What does your character intend to do?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird-1 | 0:00 | 1-barter | x x x x >

I jump, but get back on my game quickly. "I think I heard you tell me to go gently caress myself, Sim." Everyone's guns are up now and I can hear the sniper reloading from here. "Oops." And then someone else starts shooting.

I thought it was Dumb Hack, but I'm not sure, but he's dead as gently caress now.

So's Cato, fuckin' shame.

"Live by the road, die by the road," I say, flicking a pebble back into the mess of a fire we've built in the middle of the Demon Road. Man, all we fuckin' wanted was to make some god damned camp. And now look what's happened.

gently caress me.

Seizing control of the situation: 2d6+2 6
You take definite and undeniable control of it.

No. Just a maelstrom-broken dream of the ungiven future.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 18, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Liliana

Dead-Wire squirrels you away in a small little back room of the Pinout. "Cozy" would be a generous way to describe it, "cramped" would be more accurate. For the purposes of hiding from Cenek if he should somehow find this place, however, it's perfect. Dead-Wire hands you a weird tech gizmo of some sort--looks kind of like giant glasses that cover your eyes and make you blind?--and says that's the best she's got for entertainment, fiddle away.

Several hours pass, and Cenek is a no-show. Eventually Dead-Wire comes to assume that you're safe, and comes to let you out of the back room. The two of you head back into the main arcade. Dead-Wire offers you a drink, alcoholic or otherwise, and apologizes for the lovely hiding space. It's at that moment that there's a loud clanging sound, like something metal falling and hitting a tile floor. Immediately Dead-Wire has a pistol drawn and shouts "Who's there?!"

What do you do?

Torch

gently caress safety, being pinned down by a mounted machine gun is no time to worry about self-preservation if there's a way out. You charge out into the gunfire, carving a bloody swathe on your way. A bullet clips your shoulder and you keep moving. A knife buries itself in your leg and you shoot its wielder in the face and keep moving. Everything is blood and fury and nobody will stop you.

You make it. Taking hold of the machine gun, you open up on the attacking force. Bodies fall to the ground and everyone dives for cover, but it doesn't matter. You're in control, you will win this fight. More blood, more bodies. The sounds of gunfire fade away, your ears going deaf from the noise.

It feels like you black out, and by the time you remember where you are, the ground around you is slick with blood and the few survivors of the attacking force are on the run. The inside of the vehicle bay is full of the dead and dying, and from the mounted machine gun, you can't get a good view of how many are left. At least you saved some.

What do you do?

You charged into serious loving automatic fire, which is 4-harm. In addition, the gang you attacked is medium compared to your single person size, for an additional 2-harm. Minus your 2-armor and the -1 harm from your SBF roll, that's a total of 3-harm.

Burns

Spc. Jackson nods, and climbs into her bedroll. Been a long time since the two of you camped out together. You take watch, sitting down on your bag, gun in hand, ready and waiting for whatever the night delivers.

It doesn't take long. Maybe an hour after Jackson falls asleep, you hear a strange noise from the shadows, like a wounded animal crossed with a muscle car. And then, before you can act, you see it, a formless black shape in the night, charging directly out of the darkness towards you and Jackson, its footfalls and growls mixing to produce the most terrible sound you think you've ever heard. You have a split-second to act before it's on the two of you.

What do you do?

Triage

Tiny blinks. "Come again?" It takes a few tries to get through to her--those drugs are great at dulling pain but also great at dulling minds--but eventually it clicks. "Aw gently caress," she moans, leaning back on the bed. "Aw gently caress aw gently caress aw gently caress. Aw geez aw gently caress. I-- gently caress gently caress gently caress." She takes a deep breath.

"Here-Not-There was... they were scum, I won't sugercoat it. But they were there for me and protected me from the folks who want to do me harm, and... aww gently caress. I need a drink. You got a drink, Doc, or do I need to wander into town? Ah geez and my arm too... we never should've come here."

What do you do?

Tiny intends to get absolutely poo poo-faced until she can't remember her own name.

Typhon

Cato and Dumb Hack both drop to the ground, their heads split open by sniper fire. The surviving Crags open up on the three Afphroni near you, dropping them as well. Samuel Salt's eyes roll back sickeningly into his head, while Joshua Loam just hits the ground hard and stops moving immediately. Another sniper shot, a miss.

Taking what cover you can, you and the Crags move towards the sniper silo. There's another shot from some other place, not sure where. This one grazes your arm, spilling blood everywhere, but you've got too much adrenaline in you to worry too much about the pain right now. Making it to the silo, you climb to the top and catch the sniper there largely undefended--his only weapon is a sniper rifle, and firing that thing within the small confines of his perch is a bad idea for all involved. He puts his hands up and cries, "Don't shoot! Please! Let me live!" From the perch you can see a bell ringing in the center of the town and see a large group of people quickly arming themselves to defend their community.

What do you do?

That shot was 2-harm, but you have 2-armor. Gonna hurt like a bitch when all is said and done, though

There was some confusion about the situation from Captain Foo, which we've settled in Discord. This post and Typhon's last post before it are being retconned, returning to Samuel Salt delivering the "leave or else" ultimatum.

quiggy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 18, 2018

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cool=0 Hard-1 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+3 | 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | x x x o > | 2-advance

"So that's when I realized he had his comports misconfigured, dumbass." Dead-Wire says.

A swig of whatever the gently caress this is. Liliana slumps against her, smelling the solder and copper she works with all day. It's comforting. She almost starts to relax.

"Anyway, enough rambling from me how's poo poo wi-"

A crash. Liliana's survival instincts kick into overdrive. Dead-Wire draws her drat pistol and starts yelling. Liliana listens to her breath, the sound of electricity behind her eyelids, the way metal rustles against the shattered linoleum floor. She looks up at Dead-Wire. She understands her meaning immediately. She'll keep the gun out, be the obvious threat. Liliana will sneak her way towards whatever the hell just made that racket if they don't come out.

-------------

OOC: Reading The Situation: 2d6+2 10

• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What’s my enemy’s true position?

I'll save the last one, just in case.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 18, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There we go, right on schedule. Don't know what the gently caress you are, but you made the mistake of runnin' up this hill at the wrong time, idiot. Shoot to kill, and pray to God that the sound of gunfire scares more off, not draws 'em in.

Defend something you hold: 2d6+1 9
Choose 2:
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You impress, dismay, or frighten your enemy.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 2-armor | x x x x o >

Come back to myself. Hurt like hell and can't hear for poo poo. I look at the carnage for a moment. Lean back and dig out a cigarette. Start to light it, see hands still trembling slightly from adrenaline and the vibration of the gun. Squeeze them into fists, hold until they steady. Flick the lighter and take a long drag. Victory.

I lever myself out of the firing position and retrieve my sword from the dead Sparker. Drop down from the APC, stumble as the pain shoots through my leg. Grit my teeth and limp on, picking over the bodies, looking for a serviceable rifle. Come up with a Sparker-make rifle, worn, still good. Sling it over a shoulder and pull the ammo belt off the body; mostly full. Good enough.

Stagger back to my feet, take another long drag off the cigarette. Start looking for the woman from before. Dirt Home. Time to have that talk she wanted.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Cool+1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+2 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 1-armor | 1-barter | x o o o > | 1-advance

I mean, poo poo. For all Tiny's probably a fuckin' monster too, I ain't gonna say that doesn't sting. She ain't as dead as she coulda been, for one, and I do still mean to get her that arm. Might just take some more doin' than I'd thought. Still, I ain't about to deny her a bit of liquid amnesia. I bang one of the panels up top, revealing a mostly full bottle of whiskey I'd gotten as thanks a while back, and I toss it her way. I say, "gently caress, help yourself, been one of those days. Save me a nip or two, I'll be sittin' for a spell once I find Shiggy."

Speaking of, she might've gone in one of the boxes. I look at the likely ones, the ones big enough they wouldn't have required her to go all bendy to cram herself in, and hope I see that mug of hers lookin' back at me.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Liliana

You silently creep towards the source of the noise with Dead-Wire taking point behind you. The sound, whatever it was, came from between two broken old machines, one called "Centipede" and one called "onkey ong", whatever that means. It's not a big space, only big enough for maybe a large rat or something. It ain't Cenek, at the very least, and whatever it is probably doesn't have a gun either. Best to be on your guard for something to leap out at you and--

As the thought crosses your mind, sure enough, something leaps out at you. It takes you a moment to register what's happening, but you easily overpower your attacker and find... a young girl, her white robe covered in blood, her eyes wide with fear. "Ah poo poo," you hear Dead-Wire say as she clicks the hammer of her handgun to ready a shot. "Lili that's a feral, get out of there!"

What do you do?

Answered and acted on both your questions in the post, you're still holding 1.

Burns

Darkness be damned, you point your SCAR as best you can towards the approaching shape and open fire. Pre-Fall engineers were good at a lot of poo poo, but making guns quiet wasn't one of them, and the blast of gunfire echoes back to you from the trees nearby. Spc. Jackson bolts upright out of bed and scrambles for her gun, but it takes her a moment to awaken enough to be at your side.

In the meantime, the thing seems largely undeterred but your gunfire, although the loud noise seems to confuse it some. Its charge no longer remains straight towards you as the creature awkward adjusts its angle to your left, running past you and clipping your side with razor-sharp talons. The darkness prevents you from getting a good look, but what you see is black mottled fur, a shape about the right size for a black bear, and pieces of chrome and steel jutting out of it all around at awkward angles. The claw too didn't feel like bone but like a sharpened metal, like knives you might get swiped with in a bar fight.

Jackson unloads a clip from her handgun, but as far as you can tell misses every shot. The creature goes in for a swipe at her but misses, then runs past and spins, readying another charge towards the two of you. You think you made contact with those hits from your SCAR, but given the darkness there's no real way to be sure. And that's even assuming bullets can do anything against this monstrosity.

What do you do?

You dismayed the creature some, knocking it off-guard. As a result its swipe didn't fully connect and your armor and the -1 harm easily negate the damage.

Torch

Slowly, you pick your way through the bodies and blood and re-enter the vehicle bay. The adrenaline is starting to wear off, making you keenly aware of just how hosed-up your body is. You're probably stable, but you should probably take it easy and lay low for a while so you don't accidentally make things worse.

Dirt Home's people took heavy losses, that much is clear. You walk past Justice of Dirt's body, still warm on the ground, as you make your way towards the back, looking for Dirt Home. More people, some barely adults, clinging their guns even in death. Freed slaves and former bandits both, dead or dying everywhere you look.

You find Dirt Home in the back of the bay, cradled in the arms of another woman. She's not dead, at least not yet, but she clearly took a shot to the gut and is bleeding profusely all over the cold metal ground. The woman holding her looks up to you, tears in her eyes. "Please, miss... she's not gonna make it much longer. I don't know what to do, you have to help!" Dirt Home looks up at you and mouths something, but no sound comes out. You're no doctor, but this isn't the first time you've seen someone bleeding out from a gunshot, and you know that without help she won't make it much longer.

What do you do?

As we discussed in Discord, that rifle's stats are 3-harm far loud. Also, if you decide to try to treat Dirt Home, that's definitely a roll, but to be honest I'm not sure what and it will probably depend on exactly what you do. If that's your course of action, decide exactly what you're doing and we'll chat on Discord.

Triage

Tiny swipes the bottle of whiskey from you with her one arm and takes a deep, long swig. You'd imagine it takes a lot of liquor to get someone that big drunk, and there's no way she's been a teetotaler until now. She sits back and brushes her arm against her mouth and recaps the bottle, then takes a deep sigh.

"Thanks, doc. I shouldn't be hard on you, I woulda done the same in your place. Weren't right for Here to threaten your kids like that. I just gotta reckon with what's comin' to me now, I guess." She takes another drink from the whiskey bottle while you dig around the boxes looking for Shigusa. Nothing. Wherever she ran off to, it's not the First Response. Stands to reason she ran into Mowai proper rather than try hiding from Here-Not-There at First Response.

Mox comes back around to the back of the vehicle. He looks at Tiny nervously, who gives him a little wave. "Say, doc... these kids got a mom or other dad back in town? Maybe she ran off there. I'd offer to help, but, uh..." She nods her head towards where her arm used to be. "Seems like a bad idea. Should probably crash soon. You do in-patient or do I gotta find a place in town?"

What do you do?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cool=0 Hard-1 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+3 | 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | x x x o > | 2-advance

"No, no!"

Liliana's mind instantly remembers the little face, the bloodstained overalls, the smell of antiseptic and candy that follows her everywhere

"I know this girl! Her name is Shigusa! She works with Triage! Angel! One of his nurses! The guy with the ambulance! Her favorite candy are those little hard red rocks that bite your tongue!"

Liliana shields her with her body.

"Would a feral have the patience to put on surgical gear the right way?! She's probably got blood on her because of an operation!"

She looks up at Dead-Wire, trying to smile. Liliana was never very good at talking to people.

"Please, believe me."

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 20, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Look down at the two. "Don't touch the wound," I snap at her, then point at whoever's standing around gawking, snap my fingers to get their attention. "Get some bandages, boil them clean. Make sure they're cooled but still warm. Use them to cover the wound. Go." Turn back to the woman holding her wounded leader.

"She's a dead woman without a doctor. Could be one - a good one - in Mowai. I'll take her and one other in the Hunter-Killer. Might make it before she bleeds out. Might." I look around at the others. "Don't like that plan, gently caress you. All I got for you."

I turn my back on them and start walking away. Try to force the limp out of my stride. Could use some doctoring myself. Call over my shoulder, "Have her and whoever's riding along ready by the time I come back with my car. Not going to wait for you to unfuck yourselves. And whoever's coming, bring your goddamn guns."

Got questions for this woman, Dirt Home. Don't expect her followers to have answers either. That's why I'm making a loving high speed off-road run in the dark. gently caress.

Hunter-Killer is where I left it. Roar of the engine fills my ears. Put on the lights and consider just pulling into the road, drive south until I hit the Canyon, burn it to the ground. That kind of thinking put me here. Drive up the rise and down to the Machine instead. Keep my word.

Kick over the passenger door when I pull up. The woman's there, armed, plus four others with Dirt Home on a makeshift stretcher. They find a way to get her in without hurting her worse - not easy, Hunter-Killer is cramped and makes no allowance for frailty. The other woman wedges herself in after. Put the Hunter-Killer into gear soon as the door closes.

Take a last drag on my cigarette, flick the end out the window as I run up towards open ground. "You got a name?"

"The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House," she says, adds "Never for short," when I turn towards her.

I nod, turn back and make sure I have solid grip on the wheel and the shifter. "Torch." I pause, then tell her, "Never, keep her from bleeding out and yourself quiet, and we might all still be alive tomorrow." Put the pedal down until it hits the floor and scream off into the dark.

Deal With Bad Terrain (+Cool): 2d6+3 10

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

"No use worryin' about that poo poo just yet. Y'can bunk down here tonight and, hell, I wasn't feedin' you a line with that arm poo poo. It'll take a bit and a half, but I figure I can rig something up if I find the right tech. We can talk that poo poo tomorrow." When it comes to the kids, I offer a wry smile. I say, "Nah, just me and them. Ain't the first time we've been doing work in Mowai, though, so it ain't a bad idea. She might've made a run to one of the stores there when things popped off."

I think for a moment. I'm not gonna bleed out just yet, even if I wish I were right there with Tiny puttin' down a little something-something, and I ain't gonna feel right goin' under without Shiggy accounted for. Only one thing to do, then. I'll drive us a little further into town, see if anyone ain't seen my girl, then get her back safe. Then... then I'll patch myself up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird-1 | 0:00 | 1-barter | x x x o >

"Pigshit Sam, that's how it's gonna be? You're as thick as your guard monkeys." Fuckin', drat right. Crags will be pissed we're heading back south a few miles, but less pissed than if I try to make them surrender weapons. "Just remember, you made a mistake. Even if you think you didn't." So gently caress the Afphroni.

"So gently caress the Afphroni," I start telling everyone as we build a lovely camp across the middle of the Demon Road, a few miles south of their fuckin' idiot train station, "we own the road, so what we're gonna do is we're gonna fuckin' flex on them. Line in the asphalt, right here. Nobody in or out of Afphroni. Unless they want to go through the fuckin' wastes and well, gently caress it, we better not spot them anyway." A bottle of the Mowai booze floats around. Seems fine by me. "You fuckers remember what we did to the Greff Bunker Boiz, over near A-Town? It's just like that." I grin. "But bigger."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Liliana

Dead-Wire eyes you with confusion, trying to decide if she believes you or not. You watch as her finger slides off the trigger of the gun, but she keeps the weapon pointed firmly towards you and Shigusa, obviously not convinced. "Angel's kid, huh? Why ain't she with the doc, then? And who the gently caress's blood is that?"

Behind you, you feel Shigusa brush up against your legs, hiding from Dead-Wire's gun. She doesn't say a word, and you can feel her small body shaking with adrenaline.

What do you do?

Torch

Hunter-Killer's engine screams as you tear across the night landscape west, towards Mowai Circle. It's a rough ride, but you manage to make it there as fast as possible and without somehow crashing into any of the innumerable obstacles lurking out there in the dark. Never seems a little frustrated with your erratic driving, but results say everything--Dirt Home is still alive, if barely, by the time you reach the great traffic circle of Mowai.

Mowai has something of an outside wall, constructed from broken vehicles and recycled sheet metal, all to try to defend the place should war ever come here. Blessedly, even at night, the town of Mowai is open for travelers these days, without even requiring a check from armed guards before crossing the gate into the town proper. A few people watch as Hunter-Killer pulls into the town, but no one pays it much mind. War machines are common on the roads, and Mowai is more "on the roads" than most places. Of course, just because it's a common rest area for travelers doesn't mean it's always easy to find good medical attention, especially at this hour. You turn down a side street, hoping that anyone down there will have the tools to help, even if it's just narcostabs to knock out Dead Home and keep her alive until morning comes.

As luck would have it, you find just the thing--and you recognize it immediately. First Response, an old search-and-rescue ambulance, now driven by the doctor they call Triage. You've dealt with him before--anyone who's been shot as much as you has probably had a run-in with Triage once or twice--and know that he knows his poo poo. Even more lucky than finding First Response itself, you see Triage and a young boy climbing out just as you pull in next to it. Never looks up at you, hopeful for the first time since you left Old Machine.

What do you do?

Triage

You and Mox make sure Tiny is still secured in the back of First Response, then climb into the front, start the engine, and head into Mowai proper. Tiny's severed arm is still in a haz-box in the back, and you leave Here-Not-There's corpse to rot in the sun. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to a raider, even this close to a settled place.

You pull First Response over to a smaller side street and park it in front of Mowai Re-Scrap. It's a small little operation that buys scrap collected by scavengers, no questions asked, and resells it to the leaders of Mowai for the purposes of construction. It's run by a woman called Nora the Flatworm, who offered years ago to let you park there any time after you saved her wife from bleeding out after a knife fight. It's not likely Shigusa ran here--you're not certain if you've even seen Nora since you picked up the kids--but it's at least a safe enough place to leave Tiny and First Response while you go looking. You and Mox climb out of the vehicle to start your hunt on foot, and--

Ah crap. Right as you climb out, a war machine of some sort pulls in right next to you, and some battle-hardened warrior woman climbs out. She looks vaguely familiar, so you'd imagine you probably helped her out of a jam at some point, but after a while battle-hardened warrior women start to blend together. A half-second later another woman steps out as well. She's got the weathered and weary look of a hard life, but without the same warrior affect as the first. Bet they need help too, huh. As if you've got the time.

What do you do?

Typhon

gently caress the Afphroni indeed. You and the Crags pack up and head south on the Demon Road, just a few miles away from Afphron and still within eyesight, and then set up a blockade. There's lots of ways into and out of Afphron but this is the biggest by far, the easiest connection for the farming community for everyone from Mowai Circle down to Spark Canyon. Some of the Crags roll their eyes as they help you set up--they'd rather just leave and go do violence elsewhere--but they're not about to turn on you.

And so the Crags set up watch rotations and barricades and spike traps and emplacements and all matter of nasty poo poo to keep any vehicle from getting through easily. A big enough convoy could force their way through, definitely, but not without taking heavy losses. Doesn't seem likely most folk would want that.

Time for the siege to start.

We'll pick this up next session.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe an operation went wrong."

She bites her lip, the God-Machines could tell her what happened and Dead-Wire would believe that but a psychic link carried a very high risk for everyone involved. There had to be something simpler, something she could have learned about her or Roz in a previous encounter that she couldn't have been learned from eavesdropping her-

The gears click in her mind.

"Shigusa, what's Roz's favorite song?" Liliana says, gently as possible.

Everyone who has spent time around Roz in good spirits knows this. Everyone.

"Af-af-rica. To-to-to. Sh-she likes to play it on the Bu-busline." Shigusa stutters out, tears rolling down her face.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I pull the Hunter-Killer up in front of Triage, climb out. Man looks like poo poo. Like someone worked him over good. Hope his hand's still steady.

"Triage," I say, make sure I have his attention. Nod towards Never as she gets out. "Woman standing is Never, one dying is Dirt Home. Caught a round in the gut last night. Kept it clean, no food or water. If she's got any chance, figured you're the best one. Got jingle, and I'm still standing, if you got work needs doing."

"Aw, hell. Ya'll look like warmed-over poo poo." Even behind the mask, can see he's torn. Slumped shoulders. Know the feeling. "Alright, gently caress, here's the deal. I can get your girl worked over, that ain't even a thing. Slide a little jingle my way to cover costs, yeah, but I got something else on my head. Fuckin' ingrate decided to pay his debts with bullets and Shiggy ran off in the confusion. I ain't gonna be at my best until I got her squared away." Takes a closer at me. "Tell you what. You bring her back or spend some time lookin'? I'll give you the fuckin' friend discount when I patch ya up."

I nod, dig some jingle out of the box in the Hunter-Killer. Weigh some copperheads in my hand, pass them over with a roll of silver tape and Afphroni honey, poo poo he can use. Take a moment to get a cigarette going, then limp off to find the girl. Remember what she looked like. Mostly.

Probably didn't go far. First place she could get in and get tucked in tight behind something, my guess. Start with that.

Giving Triage 1-barter.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poo poo. This thing better gently caress off or go down to another volley or we're done. A glancing hit-and-run is fine, but if that thing pins me down it's having a feast. Not like we got any other options, we're surrounded by mudflats and I don't like our chances to outrun anything.

Only thing to do is keep shooting.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Cool+1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+2 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 1-armor | 2-barter | 4-stock | x o o o > | 1-advance

I weigh the stuff with my good hand, then give a nod, "Alright, yeah, we're good." As Torch wanders off smoking — that poo poo'll kill ya dead — I look at her dyin' buddy and her dyin' buddy's buddy. I say, "Alright, Never, let's load her in back. One of the beds is full up, but there's a free one a little further in."

Honestly, I'm not even worried about this Dirt Home. You know how many bullet holes I've plugged up? gently caress me. It's like this place is made of bullets. I can do this poo poo in my sleep. Never gets her in easy enough, I nod at Tiny as she keeps workin' over the bottle in a little post-op care, and then it's time to work. Lucky for me the applicators are all simple, none of that press and twist poo poo, so it ain't even a thing to mix up some reddener and run a line after I sanitize. Gettin' the shrapnel out is a touch trickier, sure, but I do it. Stuff a little meat-mesh in there to patch up any tears, rebuild a hosed up fiddly bit with some smart-netting, and I can already taste that fuckin' whiskey. Here's hoping Torch comes through. I ain't a fan of the show, not generally, but if she comes through for Shiggy? gently caress. I'll put my poo poo aside and do what needs doing for cheap.

Spending 1-stock to stabilize Dirt Home.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 21, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Burns

You fire another volley from the SCAR best as you can towards where the beast disappeared into the night. Spc. Jackson is upright and follows suit, unloading her own rifle--not a SCAR, you notice. The creature bellows loudly, and you see it charging back out of the darkness towards you. One more chance and--

Jackson's aim is true, and she hits the creature between the eyes. Its momentum carries its body forward as it hits the ground and slides, knocking you to the ground. The thing, whatever it is, absolutely reeks, but you can't place the smell. You also can't immediately tell what it is, besides something big and furry and metallic. Jackson runs towards you, hand outstretched.

"Aw gently caress Burns, you ok?"

What do you do?

Your rear end is gonna be a little sore, but you'll be fine.

Triage

You and Mox help Dirt Home get settled on the second bed. Some narcostabs and some surgery and she's sleeping peacefully, as healthy as can be expected for someone who took a few gunshots.

When you're finished, Tiny takes a big swig of the booze and holds the bottle out towards you. "I think you might need this more than me, doc."

After a few more minutes of checking to make sure Dirt Home has stabilized properly--she has, thankfully--Tiny speaks up again. "Say, doc, I was thinkin'. My boss got got, thanks to you. They were a right pain in the rear end. The rest of the crew still got that skin poo poo, but once that's taken care of... maybe I could join up with you? You could obviously use some protection, and arm or no arm I know how to work a gun. And I need food and stability, I think. Might be nice to help folks for a change. What do you think?"

What do you do?

Torch

You head back towards the south entrance to Mowai that Triage indicated to you as Shigusa's most likely entrance. It's a bustling little street with rows of shops, although at this late hour, they're all shut down. All except one.

An ancient neon sign reading PINOUT hangs above an open garage door. You've never been, but based on a quick glance looks like it's some sort of tech workshop, probably operated by some savvy person who helps folk fix up what's broken. The inside is filled with old upright cabinets labeled with a bunch of different names in bright lettering. Seems like an easy enough place for a young girl to hide.

Yeah, this is the place. You sneak in and find two women talking to each other. One of them has a lit cigarette in her mouth and a gun in her hand, while the other appears to be unarmed. Behind the unarmed woman, you see a girl. That's gotta be her, right?

The armed woman sees you, and immediately points the gun at you and pulls the trigger. She misses. "Lili get down!" she shouts.

What do you do?

Liliana

Dead-Wire's hand relaxes a little bit, and then she slowly lowers the gun back down to her hip. "Lili, swear to god, it's one thing after another with you. You never just stop by to say hi, there's always poo poo with Cenek or weird kids or your fuckin' god-machines and one of these days, you're gonna get us both killed or worse. You know that, right?"

Dead-Wire inhales sharply, then with her free hand pulls a cigarette out of her pocket and pops it into her mouth. She fishes around for a lighter, finds it, and lights the cigarette.

You hear a footstep behind you, and then, faster than you know what's happening, Dead-Wire has fired off a shot from that pistol, aiming past you, and you hear the sound of the bullet striking metal and not whatever she just shot at.

"Lili get down!"

What do you do?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 25, 2018

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

AGAIN?! Liliana is tired. Liliana is angry.

"Hide, Shigusa" She growls in Spark.

The child scurries away, behind another machine. Liliana rises, gunfire still ringing in her ears. Before she can stop herself she is spewing a rant of swears so fast Torch can't pick up on half of it - the half she can is foul enough on it's own. When she finally gains her mind again she is standing before a scored slab of a woman, very clearly bleeding.

"And so what the gently caress are YOU doing here? Another one of Cenek's toys?" She growls.

The barriers in her mind are already slipping, the store's sound system stutters and begins to play a new song. Lights flicker. Liliana can almost hear the God-Machines creaking, screeching, as they lean in close to listen.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 2-armor | x x x x x >

I duck behind one of the cabinets, slide my sword free. Too tight for the rifle. Too much risk of hitting the girl with the lupara. Bad choices. As usual.

Hear the unarmed woman say Shigusa’s name, then to hide maybe. Don’t have much Spark. Enough to tell she’s pissed and maybe not all there.

Step out when she gets closer, sword in one hand. “No loving slaver. Triage sent me to find the girl, Shigusa, bring her home. He was coming himself but needed to patch up someone I kept slavers from killing. Doing him a favor.” I’m talking to the mad Sparker, but eyes are on the one with the pistol.

Dangerous & sexy (+Hot): 2d6+1 5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Cool+1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+2 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 1-armor | 2-barter | 4-stock | x o o o > | 1-advance

I take a grateful pull, but I don't go too hard. Shiggy's still out there, after all, even if I do have a first-rate murderess on the job. Plus I need to patch myself up sooner or later. Anyhow, it still goes down smooth. I offer the bottle to Mox. He ain't of drinkin' age, sure, and that poo poo'll rot his brain out but we all had a helluva day. Sometimes you just need a little somethin'-somethin'. I say, "As it happens, I'd given that some thought myself. It ain't gonna be easy riggin' you up with a new arm, gonna take some time to figure out the right kit to bash in back here, but a promise is a promise. You want to do guard duty in the meanwhile? I ain't gonna tell you no. Hell, maybe you'll pick up some of the ways of it all along the way." I shake my head and poke at one of my stab wounds, wincing, and say, "I wonder what's taking Torch so long? Figured she'd have murdered half the town by now tryin' to extricate Shiggy from whatever mess she's landed in."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Triage

Mox takes a big swig, and then immediately spits out a lot of it and starts coughing. He hands the bottle back to you, and while he doesn't say anything, his expression very clearly reads "how the gently caress do you adults drink this stuff?"

Tiny leans back with a smile on her face. "Glad to hear it, doc. Hope that merc finds your kid. Here got what they deserved for fuckin' with these two, wish I could help make sure they stayed safe anyway. We can talk more about arrangements soon, right now I need some shut-eye."

She jolts upright as a shot rings out through the cold night air. It came from the south, near where you told Torch was probably the smartest place to check for Shiggy. Violence in any town out on the roads isn't uncommon, even late at night like this, but the timing and the decoration can't possibly be coincidences, right?

What do you do?

Torch and Liliana

As Shigusa ducks behind the arcade cabinets to hide, Dead-Wire keeps the gun leveled firmly towards Torch. "You're no Sparker, that's for drat sure. But I can't trust you neither. Dunno how you Shigusa's name and quite frankly I don't give a gently caress. I'm sorry." She squeezes the trigger again, and this time, the shot hits true.

Torch, the bullet strikes you directly in the chest, knocking you backwards onto the ground. It seems like your armor did its job of protecting you from permanent harm, but gently caress that hurts. Seems like you dropped the sword too, and grabbing lupara would involve bending in ways that seem inconceivably painful in this instant.

In a flash, Dead-Wire is standing over top of Torch, the pistol aimed directly at her head. Liliana, you see Shigusa cover her ears and cower in the corner. Dead-Wire calls out to you, "Lili, any reason I shouldn't just waste this fuckin' slaver merc right here and right now?" Her finger is tensing on the trigger, her breaths short and afraid, her mind clearly reeling deciding the best course of action.

What do each of you do?

Torch, the pistol is 2-harm, which your 2-armor cancels out. If Dead-Wire shoots you in the head though, that'll be a lot more than 2-harm.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"Let me ask one more question." I say to Dead-Wire.

I lean down, the smell of blood is dried blood is thick around her. It carries her aura, the smell of smoke and blood - the feeling of cocking a pistol, or drawing a knife. She's a strong one.

"It Triage send you, how is her little sister?"

I wait for her answer, my fingers twitching.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Any other day and the woman wouldn't have gotten me down so fast, even getting a shot off. But it's not any other day. Too beat up and too burned out. gently caress 'em. Not going to die easy. Looking for the opening I know isn't there when the mad Sparker asks her question. No, not mad - touched.

"gently caress if I know, but her brother Mox was fine last I saw," I spit, eyes locked on the pistol. "Two of them have a sister, never met or heard of her. No blood of Triage's either."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"She telling truth. I think."

I pull myself up, back cracking.

"Shigusa, come out here."

She crawls out from behind a machine, still whimpering. Dead-Wire pinches the bridge of her nose again.

"I let you take her back, on condition you let me go with you. Triage is friend, want to see him."

I turn back to Dead-Wire with a smile.

"After that, I come back and help clean up in here, maybe help with project or two. I owe to you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Lever myself up. Collected some more bruises here, some of them on my ego. Retrieve my sword, shove it back in the scabbard. Maybe a little too hard. Eyes on the armed one the whole way. "Don't call me a slaver again. Merc, killer - that's fair. But I'm no loving slaver." Show her my empty hands. "gently caress the rest, protecting your place." Back off a few steps, give them some space.

Shrug at the Sparker's condition. "You want to take a walk, not going to stop you." Get the impression Triage might not have the same warm feelings towards her. "Up to him if he wants to see you."

When we walk out, I turn to Shigusa and give her a nod. "Whatever trouble you were having, seems to be over. Triage and Mox were coming to find you when I rolled up. Figured you'd find a place to hole up, get yourself safe until they could. Had a patient for them, so they asked me to come looking."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"You have score with slavers too?"

She says, walking a bit behind her with Shigusa. She's not just anybody, most people wouldn't be walking around with her injuries, might be useful sometime Liliana reckons. Blunt instruments had their moments, but only a few.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhh it smells like a durian covered in motor oil or something gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauhg. It feels fuckin' weird too. It's heavy, heavier than it looks like it should be for how big it is. The... fur? Hairs? Whatever, it doesn't matter because it doesn't feel like either of those things. It's stiff and sharp and long, I can some of it digging into my face.

"I'm good! I'm cool! Get this fuckin' thing off me!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 9:00 | 2-armor | 2-barter | o o o o o > 1-adv

"Yeah." Pull out a cigarette. Lost the one before I went into Pinout. Frown at the pack - almost out. Light it. "Fuckers started it."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 28, 2018

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"They always do." Liliana says, and then lapses into silence for the rest of the walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I poke my head out the back at the sound of gunfire, hopin' that it ain't what it might be. I mean, Torch is a quick hand on the trigger and maybe Shiggy did get in trouble, but... hell, I hope it ain't all that all the same.

• Locked thread