Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

i think it would NOT be okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

*stares at camera, shrugs shoulders*

"Eh, it's a living"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dick The Butcher had the right idea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you don't have to be a shitbag and in fact as far as "professionals" go lawyers are held to some of the highest ethical standards

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If you can’t be part of the solution, there’s plenty of money to be made being part of the problem.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

you don't have to be a shitbag and in fact as far as "professionals" go lawyers are held to some of the highest ethical standards

Just look at wonderful human specimens Paul Manafort, Jay Bybee and John Yoo!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I object to this line of questioning.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I kind of wish I had become one. Instead I fell in the trap of studying what I wanted instead of what I was probably better suited for. Honestly I'd probably have gone the corporate lawyer route for the money so it's probably for the best.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

lol

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There are some good lawyers out there, like Alan Dershowitz.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Moridin920 posted:

:lol:

John Oliver did a good show recently on prosecutors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_b78GSBUs

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 18, 2018

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I want to wear one of those wigs.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Joust posted:

I want to wear one of those wigs.

Joust fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 18, 2018

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
buddy we already got a thread about vampires

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

prosecutors aren't the only types of lawyers. You can't really say anything bad about public defenders aside from being incredibly overworked to the point where they can't adequately do the job they want to do. But that's the system's fault, not theirs.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

prosecutors aren't the only types of lawyers. You can't really say anything bad about public defenders aside from being incredibly overworked to the point where they can't adequately do the job they want to do. But that's the system's fault, not theirs.

I was just thinking the other day how public defenders have the most demoralizing job since the legal system is set up to where it's really important to have a lot of money to defend yourself. And those without money using public defenders are pretty much hosed from the get go.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

So fake, like they’re not even trying. If I was on a jury I wouldn’t buy any of their arguments

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

I was just thinking the other day how public defenders have the most demoralizing job since the legal system is set up to where it's really important to have a lot of money to defend yourself. And those without money using public defenders are pretty much hosed from the get go.

They are kind of like teachers, doing a thankless job without the tools to do it right. Except they also have a mountain of law school debt to worry about on top of everything.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

The Management posted:

So fake, like they’re not even trying. If I was on a jury I wouldn’t buy any of their arguments

I was just messing with people to see who would notice.

Here is the real. loving. deal.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would be the lawyer who comes back from the dead all like “hey rear end in a top hat, you tried to put a bunch of penalties and liens and my property and then you took out a hit on me through the state and tried to make it look gang related so you could claim all my property.” And then like some lovely politician would go to jail for a week and make a deal with the DA and be back out on the streets with another contract on my life, and I could come back from the dead again and press charges so he can do the same exact thing another week later.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DA's get a gun and a badge, which ive always thought sent a judge Dredd kind of message.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Joust posted:

Mesut ozil is a judge?

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
I would be a lawyer if I could represent greedy corporate stooges during the day, but then use the information I have on them at night to kill them. And also I’m a dead cowboy reanimated by nanobots and the holographic head of Theodore Roosevelt is my sidekick who can’t really do much until season 3 where he gets his own body.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

In The Bushes posted:

I would be a lawyer if I could represent greedy corporate stooges during the day, but then use the information I have on them at night to kill them. And also I’m a dead cowboy reanimated by nanobots and the holographic head of Theodore Roosevelt is my sidekick who can’t really do much until season 3 where he gets his own body.

when you kill someone you say your catchphrase, "I rest my case". Your arch enemy is a corrupt judge who murdered your partner (at your law firm, it's that kind of partner)

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

Hammerite posted:

when you kill someone you say your catchphrase, "I rest my case". Your arch enemy is a corrupt judge who murdered your partner (at your law firm, it's that kind of partner)

“You’ll pay for this, Judge Featherbottom!” I’ll scream.
“Overruled! Hahaha!” The judge will laugh from the emergency ladder of their private helicopter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

This is one type of lawyer

What about all the public defenders doing it for poo poo pay and all the ridicule?

The ACLU is lawyers.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Politicians are almost universally lawyers so while there are probably more good lawyers than bad imo, their ranks include objectively the worst people.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

Politicians are almost universally lawyers so while there are probably more good lawyers than bad imo, their ranks include objectively the worst people.

Sure but that shouldn't tarnish the good lawyers just because they have the same profession. We need the good lawyers to balance with the bad ones.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Could you imagine a world without lawyers?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I actually really want to be and looking at it in the next couple years. My final gpa and general transcripts are poo poo though. Thanks for asking OP.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I’d be John Grisham’s The Street Lawyer.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Few hundred grand in loans, negligible job prospects, have to work hard? Think I’ll take a pass, pardner

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Joust posted:

Is there a word for the opposite of cross-eyed?

Also is anyone else surprised moridin loves lawyers?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I sat down with a friend for coffee the other day. She’s just made associate at a major firm, makes mega money for someone in their early 20s. I asked her if she enjoyed her job and she said that it was mostly rote paperwork and examining contracts. It doesn’t give you that fuzzy ‘I’m doing something worthwhile’ feeling apparently.

So basically we are all justified in mostly being barely literate tech nerds haha suck it chad lawyer geeks.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

hey i screwed up at work and now i have to re-write these reports

hey i screwed up at work and now some dude is going to prison for thirty years

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If I was a lawyer and cared about how people thought about me I'd strive to be like Matt Damon in The Rainmaker. Since I don't though I'd strive to be like Harvey Specter in Suits. Both good lawyers, just in different ways.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
I'm a lawyer

AMA

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I’m a lawyer.

10% of my practice is helping with estate planning or planning for end of life concerns and whose inheriting poo poo.

50% of it is conservatorship, guardianship, trust and estates, ie court supervised handling another dude’s money whether they are old and have dementia (conservatorship), a minor (guardianship), or dead (trust and estates).

30% litigation for all the (mostly) family fighting that goes on with the above.

10% appointed by court to represent elders typically in conservatorships.

My field is good and nice, not usually cut throat, even in litigation.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Do admiralty lawyers get to wear cocked hats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ocrassus posted:

I sat down with a friend for coffee the other day. She’s just made associate at a major firm, makes mega money for someone in their early 20s. I asked her if she enjoyed her job and she said that it was mostly rote paperwork and examining contracts. It doesn’t give you that fuzzy ‘I’m doing something worthwhile’ feeling apparently.

So basically we are all justified in mostly being barely literate tech nerds haha suck it chad lawyer geeks.

I know exactly what she is doing and it is 50 hours a week of document review. Stacks of boxes filled with memos and emails and what have you to be looked over. Lol sucks.

• Locked thread