Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

VPing Alckmin is an insanely stupid idea even if the Liberal vote wasn't already all going towards Moro because it would mean the Dilma-Temer treatment would happen immediately after the election victory too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Plutonis posted:

VPing Alckmin is an insanely stupid idea even if the Liberal vote wasn't already all going towards Moro because it would mean the Dilma-Temer treatment would happen immediately after the election victory too

how that possibility even came up to begin with

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dead gay comedy forums posted:

how that possibility even came up to begin with

Globo really REALLY REEEEAAAALLY wants to make Alckmin happen

stop trying to make alckmin happen

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i saw greenwald tweeting about which is why i asked
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1459172974582546433?s=20

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

all I know is that Lula is shrewdest political operator in Brazil right now, so the possibilities are

-- greenwald got it from a legit source and lula is planning an incredible move out of it that has nothing to do with that but solves some other issue

-- gigantic loving hoax and greenwald again shows that he is "country-I-am-in" cursed, where he becomes an absolute dumbass every 2 out of 3 takes about Brazil

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

all I know is that Lula is shrewdest political operator in Brazil right now, so the possibilities are

-- greenwald got it from a legit source and lula is planning an incredible move out of it that has nothing to do with that but solves some other issue

-- gigantic loving hoax and greenwald again shows that he is "country-I-am-in" cursed, where he becomes an absolute dumbass every 2 out of 3 takes about Brazil

Seems to me putting the neolib guy in the VP slot is incompatible with living out your term as a leftist, but what do I know.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
PT was always center left, looking at the VPs 2002 on its always been some lib whos there to drag the neoliberals by their noses towards social democratic policy while ensuring "governability" aka kickbacks, and someone to point to and say "see? we're not communists"

Would make sense for Lula to get a lib not from the party that couped Dilma this time, and it'd be a nice ending to the PT-PSDB rivalry that defined brazilian federal politics for a long loving time, even more so because it'd be the PSDB submitting

That said nationally PSDB is a rump party since getting its thunder stolen by the contemporary extreme right and i wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing is made from whole cloth by the Alckmin clan faction to try to stay relevant after Doria gave em a wedgie

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Plutonis posted:

So what I'm getting is that Lula needs to find the tankiest tankie to make his VP so they won't dare to coup him?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

So what I'm getting is that Lula needs to find the tankiest tankie to make his VP so they won't dare to coup him?

First question in the job interview for VP should be: What rank do you hold in the PLA?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Plutonis posted:

Apparently the suggestion came from Lula himself with some flattery thrown in. Shits gonna get weird if it happens, petucano is gonna become real

On the other hand, is there really a scenario where nobody tries couping Lula regardless of who's VP? drat next year is gonna be insane

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

frankenfreak posted:

Haddad's running mate was a Communist for this exact reason. By the same token, the current VP is basically the Curtis LeMay of Brazil

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think it's going to happen because the VP slot always ends up having to conform to the state alliances and all that. But I think Lula is floating this to diminish the talk of "both extremes," "polarization" and all that bullshit that they are about to throw at him. I'd say Dino is more likely than Alckmin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Haddad's running mate was a Communist for this exact reason. By the same token, the current VP is basically the Curtis LeMay of Brazil

The media kept hyping Mourão as a moderate (and he might as well be compared to Bolso)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/rosana/status/1460942595165757443

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

brazilian elites are the lamest in the whole loving world

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's very appropriate that the gado have found a golden bull to worship.

As a complete aside, very appropriate that both galo and lula are 13.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

brazilian elites are the lamest in the whole loving world

Their loving inferiority complex is dragging the whole country down with them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My dad just got home from Brazil with a bunch of leftist student stuff and im curious what this slogan means
Like in the context of Brazilian politics and leftism? Is it a "small axe" thing? Or just a generic like "watch out for us" thing, I haven't really seen the slogan before.

Some cool anti bolsonaro poo poo tho, hadnt heard of UBES or UNE

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My dad just got home from Brazil with a bunch of leftist student stuff and im curious what this slogan means
Like in the context of Brazilian politics and leftism? Is it a "small axe" thing? Or just a generic like "watch out for us" thing, I haven't really seen the slogan before.

Some cool anti bolsonaro poo poo tho, hadnt heard of UBES or UNE

axé is a BR music style lol, not axe the tool/weapon

seems like a "respect our local culture, dont discriminate against popular music" thing, never seen it before

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a candomble/umbanda/African-Brazilian religion thing, axe is basically the energy that flows from each orixa (the deities). In context it can be translated as "respect our strength" but it has this racial conotation to it.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Dias posted:

It's a candomble/umbanda/African-Brazilian religion thing, axe is basically the energy that flows from each orixa (the deities). In context it can be translated as "respect our strength" but it has this racial conotation to it.

Yeah, it's probably this. Axé could be very roughly translated as spiritual energy/mana.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

frajaq posted:

axé is a BR music style lol

Eu fui embora
Meu amor chorou
Eu fui embora
Meu amor chorou
Eu fui embora
Meu amor chorou
Eu fui embora
Meu amor chorou

frajaq's is now cursed to solve enem questions in brazilian culture and history for a couple of weeks rofl

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

baseado??

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

baseado??

Thing is, as much as he's just being a provocateur rear end in a top hat, I'm not even sure he's wrong.

Every labor/left-wing government in Latin America that tried the game of "look how republican we are! We love Supreme Courts and the rule of law!" was sucker-punched and then ejected by any means the reactionaries still commanded (usually the courts), then tarred and feathered as the sole culprits behind corrupt structures that have existed for centuries.

Meanwhile Cuba, China, even Venezuela...say what you will, they are still there. They played no games and didn't win stupid prizes.

You can't really play the democracy game in countries that are not true democracies. Where one side can push a button and just erase you from the board.

We are seeing in real-time hoe the media and other institutions are already deleting the whole covid death toll and mismanagement in Brazil, trying out their 'moderate' golden boy Moro (who of course was in Bozo's cabinet but not is the anti-Bozo, how DARE you imply otherwise!) but ready to back Bolsonaro again and not even shy about it.

One candidate saying he can't say poo poo about Nicaragua because he doesn't know the full picture? Evil authoritarian monster, fodder for cover sotries and editorials across the board.

Actual president slamming top-secrecy bans of 100 years (!) on his vaccine record, his personal expenses, his children's dealings? Sending investigated cronies off-country to foreign positions before they can be caught? Cramming seven thousand military crooks into the machinery of government? Gargling the nuts of Gulf feudal theocracies? Eh, worth a note that people will forget tomorrow, and op-eds defending him and saying that he's not a genocidare and anyhow, everything he does can be blamed on the left.

There are no referees. There's no teacher to give you a gold star for fair play.

If Lula or Haddad had somehow been elected in 2018 (and not couped the week after), they'd have been impeached over the "terrible, tragic and monstrous" covid death toll of 150k that their STALINIST vaccine program failed to prevent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

Thing is, as much as he's just being a provocateur rear end in a top hat, I'm not even sure he's wrong.

Every labor/left-wing government in Latin America that tried the game of "look how republican we are! We love Supreme Courts and the rule of law!" was sucker-punched and then ejected by any means the reactionaries still commanded (usually the courts), then tarred and feathered as the sole culprits behind corrupt structures that have existed for centuries.

Meanwhile Cuba, China, even Venezuela...say what you will, they are still there. They played no games and didn't win stupid prizes.

You can't really play the democracy game in countries that are not true democracies. Where one side can push a button and just erase you from the board.

We are seeing in real-time hoe the media and other institutions are already deleting the whole covid death toll and mismanagement in Brazil, trying out their 'moderate' golden boy Moro (who of course was in Bozo's cabinet but not is the anti-Bozo, how DARE you imply otherwise!) but ready to back Bolsonaro again and not even shy about it.

One candidate saying he can't say poo poo about Nicaragua because he doesn't know the full picture? Evil authoritarian monster, fodder for cover sotries and editorials across the board.

Actual president slamming top-secrecy bans of 100 years (!) on his vaccine record, his personal expenses, his children's dealings? Sending investigated cronies off-country to foreign positions before they can be caught? Cramming seven thousand military crooks into the machinery of government? Gargling the nuts of Gulf feudal theocracies? Eh, worth a note that people will forget tomorrow, and op-eds defending him and saying that he's not a genocidare and anyhow, everything he does can be blamed on the left.

There are no referees. There's no teacher to give you a gold star for fair play.

If Lula or Haddad had somehow been elected in 2018 (and not couped the week after), they'd have been impeached over the "terrible, tragic and monstrous" covid death toll of 150k that their STALINIST vaccine program failed to prevent.

Sad but true

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Vote!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also Ciro is now 4th place on polls, massive L

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

We basically need Stalin 2.0 :shrug:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

if lula wins he has every god drat reason to actually be a motherfucker after what was done to him personally

if he doesn't he might be the most bitchmade president in history

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
a world where lula wins would be a wild card

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

if lula wins he has every god drat reason to actually be a motherfucker after what was done to him personally

He is considering running with Alckmin, that retard learned nothing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Leftists are generally soft and stupid sorry

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alckmin is better than Temer

Also pratically Che Guevara compared to all other heroes of the non-leftist opposition to Bolsonaro, like Moro or Doria

So I wont complain if he really becomes Lula vice

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 12:48 on Dec 1, 2021

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

holy moly our politics are bad, what a low bar

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
This is why I could never be a politician. I can't just reset the clock.

Alckmin was literally the guy who, while still governor, said that Lula was 'reaping what he sowed' when his bus was shot at in the south. (none of the vestals of decency and democracy said poo poo about it back then, btw)

And now it's all water under the bridge? No. I don't care if it's the smart political move (it isn't), I couldn't do it. Maaaaaybe if Alckmin had actually gone through the wringer (expelled from PSDB, had a progressive term in congress and taken flak for it, etc).

But he's still the same low-energy egomaniac just waiting for a chance to be president, and Lula is apparently giving him that shot. I really hope this is all just hype.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

frajaq posted:

holy moly our politics are bad, what a low bar

Yep, its true though.

PT probably aint going back to power without a nod to the right. Alckmin is better than any other realistic option we have (meaning just: never supported Bolsonaro and never worked in the Bolsonaro government), and also much better than Temer at least in the sense he is politically harmless compared to him. He is no schemer

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also pratically Che Guevara compared to all other heroes of the non-leftist opposition to Bolsonaro, like Moro or Doria

So I wont complain if he really becomes Lula vice

Alckmin literally stole lunch money from kids, so I think they're in a similar circle of hell, really.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

Alckmin literally stole lunch money from kids, so I think they're in a similar circle of hell, really.

Sure, but still better than Doria or Moro. And if Lula needs to, once again, make friends with at least part of the right to get to power and stay there after the elections, I cant think of anyone that is better and would be willing

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Explain this concept of "making friends with the right". Has that ever worked for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Sure, but still better than Doria or Moro. And if Lula needs to, once again, make friends with at least part of the right to get to power and stay there after the elections, I cant think of anyone that is better and would be willing

I think there are better picks that aren't landmines. He could get endorsed by FHC if he really wants that