Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3M-1wMd0h8

Azur Lane is a Chinese-made side-scrolling shoot 'em up mobile game with gacha mechanics and Japanese voice acting developed by Shanghai Manjuu and Xiamen Yongshi.

How is the Monetization?

I am not a veteran player of any of the CN/KR/JP versions but so far from what I've seen and what vets have told me, Azur Lane is very "F2P" friendly. The Gacha rate is extremely generous (7% Super Rare, 12% Elite, 50% Rare, 30% Common) and the resources for obtaining new characters are obtainable at a steady pace. I've only been playing a few days and I already have 3SRs and a good number Elites. The main money maker for the game is in skins, rings (yes, you can marry your ships), and other secondary things. The game also awards Rubies (the pay currency) at a small but steady rate via missions and login rewards.

The generosity of the Gacha means REROLLING IS UNNECESSARY.

Gameplay?

Azur Lane's core gameplay is a side scrolling arcade shooter. Your Ship girls are arranged into fleets of six ships, three in the "Vanguard Fleet" which you control during battles and three in the "Main Fleet" which usually sits off screen. Your Vanguard fleet fires at enemies automatically as you move them around, while Torpedo spreads from the vanguard and salvos from your battleships represent manually triggered heavy attacks. Meanwhile airstrikes from your carriers are traditional Shmup bombs, launching massively powerful attacks that also clear enemy bullets from the screen. Later levels can approach "Bullet-hell" levels of enemy fire.

If you don't feel like playing yourself there is an auto feature, which can clear content just fine, though it may require a slightly stronger fleet sometimes than one controlled directly by the player.

Outside of battle you can manage your fleets by sending girls out on commissions to gather resources, telling them to hit the books in the academy to increase their skill levels, or shoving them in the customizable dorm room to regain morale and gain experience points (but only if you provide snacks!)

PVP?

There is a PVP mode called "Exercises", however it is played using auto-battle mode only. Basically you set up a defense fleet that others can see and challenge with no input from you. Meanwhile you get a menu selection of four random players whose PvP rating is close to your own and pick one, you then set up your attack fleet who will try to defeat them in battle. Even if you lose you gain PvP points and these can be used to exchange for shipsgirls and valuable resources. PvP has "Seasons" that last two weeks before resetting, rewarding players based on the rank they managed to achieve.

I'm not normally a fan of PvP in these games, but so far this isn't' that bad, even if I've climbed to a rating where I'm usually getting my rear end kicked. Still even losing I'm getting points towards that chocolate South Dakota...

Plot?

Azur Lane is set in a loose reinterpretation of World War 2, the intro tutorial mission for example is the famous Battle of the Denmark Strait where HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales engaged the German warships Prinz Eugen and Bismarck, resulting in Hood's destruction in a massive ammo magazine explosion. Early chapters take you to Pearl Harbor, the Coral Sea, and Midway, while later stages continue this pattern and events introduce a new enemy.

Overall the plot and story of the game is serviceable and amusing, but don't go into it expecting something story-dense like FGO or GFL. However, if you're a military history nerd like me, you might find an amusing number of historical nods and references (as well as the occasional World of Warships homage) in the ship girls' dialogue and descriptions.

Starting Tips (Feel free to suggest more veterans!)
  • Pick whichever starter you like, you can obtain the others from construction or as a random reward for certain map stages
  • When first starting out, feel free to burn all those "quick build drills" to rapidly fill your roster, you can easily obtain more.
  • Don't spend your F2P rubies randomly, its generally suggested to invest in your dorm, expanding the number of slots it has as it becomes a great way to level up lower level ships as you upgrade it
  • The speed of your Vanguard is based on the average of the ships' speed, so don't shove it full of slow Heavy Cruisers and expect to be nimbly dodging dense enemy fire.
  • The daily tasks are relatively easy to accomplish and offer generous rewards, don't forget them!
  • Uneeded dupe commons can be fed to your other ships to boost their stats, while its recommended to retire blues and purples for Medals which can be used to exchange for SRs when you get enough.
  • Don't open T1 and T2 gear crates (these typically or always give common gear), instead craft them into T3 crates which guarantee a blue piece of gear with a chance at a purple.
  • Raw level isn't the only thing that effects a ship's strength. If you're starting to hit a wall in content, try improving your ships by feeding them dupes in enhancement, upgrading their equipment, or limit breaking them.

As a warning, like many gacha games of its type, Azur Lane and its cast can sometimes be rather "Thirsty" and unfortunately some of the designs lean a bit too much towards :pedo:

Screenshots

Resources:

Official Website
Official AL English Twitter
Azur Lane English Wiki
Excellent Gear Guide that explains poo poo instead of just a tier list image full of icons

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm AGGGGH BEES and this is my favorite thread in the Pacific.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game, but Long Island is worth fighting for.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here is a tier guide some pubbie wrote for the current US launch. As with all pubbie created things take it with a grain of salt, but it's not a bad "what ships are good to keep" guide.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

San Diego may not be considered good but she keeps spooking me and I just have to admire that spunky idiot attitude.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
San Diego is good (to turn into medals).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Currently there is no goon discord for this. A few of us are hanging out in a misc channel on the FGO discord, and I believe there are a few people chatting about it in the GFL discord as well. Do people think we should have a "official" goon channel/discord for this somewhere? I'll admit, however, I don't know poo poo about discord stuff and I really don't want to be responsible for something like that anyways.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the japanese server launch ate the granblue discord too, though a lot of people are already burnt on the game

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I hate and really like this game at the same time. I hate how lovely the UI is, I hate that the plot ends a tenth into the campaign, I really like the WW2 references and I like how the progression makes your team feel massively stronger even if it IS pretty grindy to get there.

I can only hope they keep adding onto this thing.

Here's a tip: Go to the store and pet the catgirl. She sends you stuff from time to time.
Here's another tip: Read a drat tier list cause this game has a massive problem with letting you know which ships are good and which ones are lovely at a glance.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, there's also this.

Far as I know Renown is not considered so good anymore (why? No idea) but the rest are good. Nelson also drops from 2-3 and she is supposed to be really good.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 19, 2018

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Here is a tier guide some pubbie wrote for the current US launch. As with all pubbie created things take it with a grain of salt, but it's not a bad "what ships are good to keep" guide.
That is a pretty garbage list, even by pubbie tier list standards and includes a lot of event ships that are not available yet.

I've played JP for almost a year. My advice to noobs is to work towards a HMS fleet. Queen Elizabeth (first farmable from 5-2) is the backbone. Fully skill trained, she buffs HMS ship stats by 15%. The great thing about HMS is there are a lot of different compositions available at all stages of the game. Frontline suggestions for noobs: Leander, Suffolk, Edinburgh (cruisers) and Javelin, Cygnet, Fortune (destroyers). Backline: Renown/Repulse, Rodney/Nelson, Unicorn, Erebus/Terror and of course Liz. The SSRs are obviously good too. Belfast, Hood, Warspite, and Illustrious.

If you want to auto, US gunboats are generally easier to use since they do not lose effectiveness from the AI wasting torpedoes. The standard recommendation is some combination of Portland, Indy, Phoenix, Cleveland (cruiser buffer), and Helena (debuffer). Wichita is good but super squishy so needs to be overleveled compared to the others and takes a while to get from completing the Brooklyn/Phoenix/Helena collection with full limit breaks.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Just started this game and I've pretty much no idea what I'm doing besides having fun.

Breaking into world 3 now and this are finally getting a little hairy. Any suggestions to fleet compositions?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've been messing about with the game myself, it's interesting, even if I'm not exactly good at schmups. No idea what's good and what isn't but it is fun and cute.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

RanKizama posted:

Just started this game and I've pretty much no idea what I'm doing besides having fun.

Breaking into world 3 now and this are finally getting a little hairy. Any suggestions to fleet compositions?

Sims buffs destroyer gunnery and Northampton buffs cruiser gunnery so you should use them with those types of ships to get the most out of those skills.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Taking this game with me on a flight to jack off to.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Started playing casually earlier today. Seems ok so far, controlling the ships in battle is a bit awkward. Not really sure how/where to repair damage taken from battles or check/raise morale, or what's the best way to get coins?

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
You have to handle healing via auxiliary equipment, ship skills, or repair items you pick up from ? nodes or get from other ship skills. The game also lets you buy full repairs with gems (with one free one a day I think). Thanks to this, a lot of people recommend Unicorn as she has the one of the better healing skills you can get earlier in the game (ch.4-4). There's also Akashi and Vestal as Repair Ships, but Vestal is a bit farther in (ch. 6-1 or gacha) and Akashi has a pretty long questline associated with her. They are both really notable since they get ship repair cranes instead of main guns and can start with repair kits.

As far as morale is concerned, morale goes up over time by itself. So you can just let ships sit out or do expeditions. If you want to recover it quickly, you can put them in the dorm. The dorm also lets their morale go into Really Happy status which confers a 20% exp bonus.

And just a small tip that may help: you can rearrange the formation at the screen right before a battle. This can let you swap the flagship around which is useful since if she goes down, you lose.

Also, coins are really gotten from three places: missions, expeditions, and the Daily Raids. The Daily Raids especially are important because you get 700+ per clear even on the earliest levels. You will of course get them from the refilling market too, but it's not really much until it's high level.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Polikarpov posted:

Sims buffs destroyer gunnery and Northampton buffs cruiser gunnery so you should use them with those types of ships to get the most out of those skills.
Gotcha. Swapped my Sims for a San Diego and my damage output really went up. Thanks!

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
it's a good game.

some random things in the "would've been nice to know this earlier" category:
  • Setting a character as your secretary will gradually increase her affection rating over time, around 5-6 points or so per day, up to a maximum of 90. If there's a character you *think* you might use later, you can set her as secretary for a while and let her gain affection so you will only have to grind out 10 points later instead of 50. This will be particularly useful in the future when they start adding character stories with attached tasks, one of which is maxing out her affection.
  • You can bail out of a battle by hitting the pause button and selecting "leave battle", this resets the battle (including the condition of all your ships) to the state it was before you entered with virtually no penalty aside from a very small portion of the oil used to deploy your ships. Cleared a map all the way up to the boss only to gently caress up/lose someone/miss the timer and there goes your S-rank? Reset and try again.
  • The above also applies to PvP battles and your number of daily PvP attempts is not affected by this.
  • Aside from daily tasks, Hard mode stages are your primary source of retrofit prints and you will want to start doing them as soon as possible. You can get up to six per day. The type of prints you will get are separated by stage number - chapter X-1 (1-1, 2-1, etc) for destroyers, X-2 for cruisers, X-3 for battleships, X-4 for carriers. You will probably want to concentrate most of your efforts on gathering destroyer and cruiser prints because they vastly outnumber battleships and carriers.
  • Keep your fire extinguishers. These will be useful in the later chapters even long after you've grown out of your other 3-star equipment.

e: fixed typo

Dads Dip Cup fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 20, 2018

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
How huge are the differences between T1 and T2 equipment? I want to save my mats to level better equipment, but getting new planes seems like a slow process.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are other healers besides Unicorn. Arizona (drops in 2-2) and Shouhou (drops in 2-2, 2-3, 2-4) do as well.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FINALLY

For those wondering what's up, the 3-4 node has a low chance to drop Akagi and Kaga, SSR carriers that get a bonus when you put them in a fleet with each other.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Charges pressed after playing this game in a school zone

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Yeah I've only had Kaga drop so far from 3-4, I'm still trying to get a Akagi.

I've been focusing mostly on pvp right now since I want both Eldridge and South Dakota, but this has come at the price of high oil costs due to limit breaks. I'm working on a Fletcher fleet to get around this though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

RanKizama posted:

How huge are the differences between T1 and T2 equipment? I want to save my mats to level better equipment, but getting new planes seems like a slow process.

You do get some mats back when you sell these equips but not all of them, so some light upgrades on filler equipment isn't gonna hurt too much. I never went past +4 for T1/2 equips.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The UI is pretty bad in this coming from girls frontline. Like it's really inconsistent on when the game lets you select a ships portrait to get it's details. I hate having to re-select 6 ships every time for the commissions. The class icons are pretty vague to me so I still can't tell at a glance a ship's duty or if it's frontline or backline.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Holy poo poo, I went into Stage 3 and got loving smashed. That difficulty curve went up in a hurry.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It'll level off a bit presently. Right now most people have crap gear, random teams, or both.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The US twin 127mm guns (5"/38 DP) are loving amazing as DD primaries and as secondaries for all ships in the early game. They boost AA rating on top of being pretty nicely balanced stats wise. I strip them off every Atlanta class ship I get.

They're basically the only thing San Diego and her ilk are good for.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Edit. Previous discord shut down channel.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 20, 2019

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
What's up with Yorktown? She is consistently doing nothing. Swapped out her and Hornet (who was doing great) for Saratoga and Lexington. Damage feels much more consistent now. Especially with my Pennsylvania cleaning up afterwards.

Also swapped my San Diego for Cleveland and that helped a lot as well. San Diego's skillset sucks. I want a Houston so goddamn bad to finish my trio.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 21, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Should I basically just be doing light construction at the start or just ignore outside of dailies?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Depends on if you want to have a stockpile of cubes for whenever the first event is.

However the game is still officially in open beta, so who knows how far off that event will be or even what it will be as I've heard they may be doing new events mixed in with the old ones from other servers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

RanKizama posted:

What's up with Yorktown? She is consistently doing nothing. Swapped out her and Hornet (who was doing great) for Saratoga and Lexington. Damage feels much more consistent now. Especially with my Pennsylvania cleaning up afterwards.

Are her planes bad?

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/AzurLane_EN/status/1031964186807611392

Hammann confirmed as a goon :v:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Kyte posted:

Are her planes bad?
Nah, good planes. She just never seems to get any in the air to do anything while Hornet is launching poo poo left and right. Weird.

Doesnt matter anymore since I swapped to Saratoga and Lexington though. I love this setup so much.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm up to 4 SSRs now (well 1 dupe so 3) which is crazy good rates considering I probably only built 12-14 ships so far. Might give Illustrious a last go or start saving cubes since I'm down to 14 now.

Thinking about limit breaking San Diego and just build around Belfast, SD and Warspite but wanted to be sure if there are early units that really make teams shine.

I haven't touched equipment at all, as per reddit you can convert t1-t2 into t3 somehow and I shouldn't decrate T1-2 at all. Is that right?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Thinking about limit breaking San Diego
Don't. From what I'm gathering, San Diego is the Stheno of this game and even the AL staff acknowledge her as a joke character. Her skills are pretty bad and she really only functions as anti-air support.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I'm up to 4 SSRs now (well 1 dupe so 3) which is crazy good rates considering I probably only built 12-14 ships so far. Might give Illustrious a last go or start saving cubes since I'm down to 14 now.

Thinking about limit breaking San Diego and just build around Belfast, SD and Warspite but wanted to be sure if there are early units that really make teams shine.

I haven't touched equipment at all, as per reddit you can convert t1-t2 into t3 somehow and I shouldn't decrate T1-2 at all. Is that right?

Yeah you can convert 5 of T1-T2 into the next tier. Right now I'm just running Laffey, Fletcher, and one of the Fletcher classes with Renown, Saratoga, and Yorktown in the back because :shrug: . Do we have a guild set up and does it even do anything?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I think I'm off to a good start. Still running through Stage 3 but just find of farming at the moment.

Got a handful more Elites under there, but I'm too lazy to do another screencap.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One thing I've found annoying about the game is that the notifications blink in the same color as text messages on my phone.