Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Save up any wisdom cubes / gold you can for the event coming on Thursday, we dunno what the ships do yet but odds are they'll be better than whatever random old crap you get given early on or as drops from story stages. But yea, as long as you're using decent ships and putting gear on them (and upgrading the gear as you can) the game doesn't really get challenging until you've been playing quite a while, later worlds don't even unlock until you get a decently high commander level which takes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

killer_robot posted:

Advance story. Level+Gear+Not Using Kent matters far more than any more elaborate fleet comp up until world 10 or so.

i'm going to level kent to 120 and max her affinity now just because you said this

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/KpmYeIN.mp4

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
drat, what a nightmare.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McGavin posted:

This skin is why I ask:

Ooh it's even Sheffie. I was holding onto my diamonds in case waitress Bismark came back but i'll 100% buy this.

If we're getting WW1 RN Ships, can we get some K Boats that explode as soon as you take them into battle?

I also can't wait for this plane girl game. I hope its just models of planes, and not individual planes. I don't think anyone would like Enola Gay-chan. B-29-chan though :pervert:

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 26, 2022

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I am just tired of ironblood events, but i have to say they always have some visually appealing battlecruisers.

Seydlitz is even a shop/drop ship for the event. Lucky me.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Would it be a bad idea to get white ships to 125 then scrap them for the dock space?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Monolith. posted:

Would it be a bad idea to get white ships to 125 then scrap them for the dock space?

It's either quite the power move or a giant waste of your time. Probably both.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Monolith. posted:

There's no reason to take them to 125. You get the fleet tech bonuses and bonus stats at 120. Regardless, if you have the spare EXP books/time to level them, and enough cognitive chips, it's not the worst idea in the world. Personally, I keep one of each around just so I can use the quick retire button, but I'm lazy and willing to spend a few bucks on dock space to enable my laziness.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Monolith. posted:

If you're not hurting for dock space, sure, but there are more SR and UR ships than spaces available without buying additional dock slots. Once you start picking up rare ships you run out of space really fast.

Edited to add that the bonuses are not super worth it unless you're trying to get a miniscule edge in high level pvp or end game content.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 27, 2022

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I'm not hurting for dock space as I don't mind dropping some gems here and there but they'll never get a retro to gold. I've been playing for awhile now (finally maxed and sim'd all of PR2 besides Azuma who Is really close to 30) so I'll never use them. Oh yeah, not 125, just 120.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
PlayStation's Golden Week sale includes Azur Lane Crosswave.

It's $23.99 for the Deluxe copy (Game+launch DLC) and then another $13.99 for the DLC characters that came around later. Even though one of the DLC packs show Neptune, she was a preorder bonus and no longer available.

The main game focuses on Shimikaze and Suruga in a more friendly Azur Lane universe where the four nations are having war games.
Formidable, Le Malin, Rune, Sirius, and Taihou are the 5 DLC stories. I actually haven't played them yet because I've been waiting for a sale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've thought about buying it a bunch of times on steam but like, none of my waifus are in it, so why bother?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I've thought about buying it a bunch of times on steam but like, none of my waifus are in it, so why bother?

Baltimore or don't bother, I say. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

88 pulls, no event ships. I'm guessing this is the game's way of telling me to stop playing for a while. I'll come back to that sad note from Akashi in a few months I guess.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
'sad note from Akashi'?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
40 got me everyone from the gacha except Seydlitz and I'll pick her up for points from the shop.
RNG giveth and RNG taketh away...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

killer_robot posted:

'sad note from Akashi'?

If you take a break from the game you come back to 'returning player rewards' and the notice is Akashi talking about how they're just trying to hold things together while the Commander is away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, this is totally a from event, the Dark Sign is literally in the first level!

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
wtf plot O.o Have we had any inklings that the sirens are constructs made by Manjuu in the past?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

killer_robot posted:

wtf plot O.o Have we had any inklings that the sirens are constructs made by Manjuu in the past?

Another "Zoomer shikikan" dropped in for this season finale ;D

To answer your question: Yes. This resolution was built up since the Ashen Simulacrum event and expanded by OpSi and the lore files found there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As far as I can piece together, those scientist people first made shipgirls, then made Sirens, then made some third kind of shipkind that ended up wiping them out and which the Sirens run sims to gather data to figure out how to defeat.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Sirens were created first, then the shipgirls were created to fight them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Azur Lane's lore isn't exactly easy to parse, but I think the Leviathans (your "3rd kind") came first and weren't man-made so far as we know at this point. I'd have to reread the story events for ... I think it was Khorovod of Dawn's Rime ... to remember whether Sirens came before Shipgirls or not.

Regarding this event, there were three interesting items in the story to me. First, they finally actually-killed (probably) a real Siren. Second, the WW1 shipgirls came with altered rigging which appears to be super-effective versus Sirens. Third, Bismarck "completed her METAmorphosis" so look forward to Bismarck META at some future point and NOT in Operation Siren. She's the first (?) homebrew META.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sirens were definitely created second as they were created because their concept was regarded as possibly more effective against the enemy those scientists were fighting against (the "Leviathans") than the original KANSEN. It's mentioned that they were modeled in some vague way after the very first shipgirl (aka Enterprise META/Code G). And yeah, as far as we've been told the Leviathans were some external alien threat.

The very top of Siren leadership (whoever that is) is seemingly running the simulations in order to come up with the best possible way of fighting the original enemy, but as you go lower down the totem pole there definitely seems to have been drift from absolute efficiency to just entertaining themselves and/or conducting simulations simply for the sake of conducting them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know I never read the stories in Gatchas, because the dialog just seems like it goes on forever, and i probably should.

God I've gotten 16 elbings this event. Thats way more than I'll ever need.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How do I keep the NPC? Just started playing for the second time, and I've got a nice temporary unit in my squad.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do I keep the NPC? Just started playing for the second time, and I've got a nice temporary unit in my squad.

Assuming you mean Little Eugen, you need to get 10,000 event currency (cheesecake slices) before the event ends, which is ... tonight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zurai posted:

Assuming you mean Little Eugen, you need to get 10,000 event currency (cheesecake slices) before the event ends, which is ... tonight.

Aha, not getting her then. Oh well, thanks!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She's the first one i managed to get. I really want Hunter, due to being Bloodborne related and she's got a doggo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

So we finally got confirmation that this month's event (for the CN anniversary) is going to be an HMS event. Speculation is on for what the UR will be. My hopes are either HMS Dreadnought for sheer power and name recognition or a CL (HMS Tiger? HMS Minotaur?) because we don't have a non-refit UR CL.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
If IB is reaching into the past to pull out new shipgirls, my money's on Dreadnought. Warspite is only UR with retro and she's definitely not UR power tier.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The URs so far were all newer/paper ships though.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OGS-Remix posted:

If IB is reaching into the past to pull out new shipgirls, my money's on Dreadnought. Warspite is only UR with retro and she's definitely not UR power tier.

Ironblood had to reach into the past because the WW2 Kriegsmarine was running out of hulls already and everybody got a bit bored by wehraboo paper botes. :v:

Britbongs don't have such problems, even if getting some old ships from other periods could be neat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's in-game justification for Dreadnought or other older ships: the most recent event showed that, for some reason, they're super-effective against sirens. There were several points in the story for Rondo at Rainbow's End where the WW1 shipgirls found sirens much easier than expected to kill, bypassed humanoid siren shields that the modern shipgirls were having trouble with, etc.

Also, Queen Elizabeth was explicitly collaborating with FdG on the whole thing, and one of the reasons for it is if she's looking to exploit the same technology/process for the Royal Navy.

Also, for the record, they're basically out of actual WW2 battleships for the Royal Navy. There's HMS Anson, HMS Vanguard (which is technically post-WW2 and undergunned, being armed with only 15" guns) and that's about it. There's still a couple of Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, but they're WW1 designs to start with. This is relevant because the Royal Navy is supposed to be a battleship faction in Azur Lane; Eagle Union and Sakura Empire are the carrier factions. They still have HMS Indomitable, the two Implacable-class fleet carriers, and all the Colossus and Majestic-class light carriers except Perseus, but the latter are pretty unexciting in real-world terms.

Or it could be HMS Habakkuk for the memes.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 15, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Most likely guesses right now are Vanguard, Dreadnought, Daring, Malta, Indomitable, Tiger, or Furious.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They could be bringing past ships but I don't think they'll make past ships UR. UR has a different lore connotation so far.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deep into the lore of my anime titty warship game.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I can't blame anyone for being excited when the story is actually doing more than "oh no mirror sea, why do the enemies look like my friends, oh they're just siren copies" for the first time in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Zurai posted:

Also, for the record, they're basically out of actual WW2 battleships for the Royal Navy. There's HMS Anson, HMS Vanguard (which is technically post-WW2 and undergunned, being armed with only 15" guns) and that's about it. There's still a couple of Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, but they're WW1 designs to start with. This is relevant because the Royal Navy is supposed to be a battleship faction in Azur Lane; Eagle Union and Sakura Empire are the carrier factions. They still have HMS Indomitable, the two Implacable-class fleet carriers, and all the Colossus and Majestic-class light carriers except Perseus, but the latter are pretty unexciting in real-world terms.

Or it could be HMS Habakkuk for the memes.

You could go into some of the paper designs for BBs during the war, stuff like the N3 BBs or G3 BCs for example, or the various Lion-class design studies.

Or just give us the R-class lol.