Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The devs did a funny and set their luck based on the H of BWH. So Honoka for example is 99-58-91 has 91 luck, Kasumi is 89-54-85 and has 85 luck and so on. This is significantly higher than the average and often at the top of their ship class.

Incidentally the devs also did the same with the Idolmaster girls but with the B in BWH. It was a bit less helpful there. :v: (Except for Azusa :v: :v:)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OGS-Remix posted:

Their luck stat is a sum of their measurements. As a result they all have very high luck which means they dodge a lot and crit a lot so they're more effective then they seem.

Also the three ships listed above are very solid and I've used them in W13/14 before getting power crept.

Edit: If their augments are any good, they'll definitely be even more viable to run.

But how does that relate to their butts?

Kyte posted:

The devs did a funny and set their luck based on the H of BWH. So Honoka for example is 99-58-91 has 91 luck, Kasumi is 89-54-85 and has 85 luck and so on. This is significantly higher than the average and often at the top of their ship class.

Incidentally the devs also did the same with the Idolmaster girls but with the B in BWH. It was a bit less helpful there. :v: (Except for Azusa :v: :v:)

Oh. Yeah, that sounds like this game all right.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I feel like i have missed something with the Flame Touched Dagger and im a dum dum for asking on the last day of the event.

You need 10000 points to get Foch but the most you can get in a sortie is 200. So 50 full sorties just to get a single ship, seems very out of character with how relaxed AL is.

Am i missing something here?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ineptitude posted:

I feel like i have missed something with the Flame Touched Dagger and im a dum dum for asking on the last day of the event.

You need 10000 points to get Foch but the most you can get in a sortie is 200. So 50 full sorties just to get a single ship, seems very out of character with how relaxed AL is.

Am i missing something here?

Yeah, that’s the backup option if you don’t roll for her.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

50 sorties over 2 weeks is not a lot. It's like 3.5 per day.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

It took me literally until the evening of the last day to get the 10000 points.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I liked that the Ryza collab ships have synergy with each other, do the DOA ships have any synergy with each other? I didn’t notice any at first glance…

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not at all.

The synergy between Ryza ships was the main theme of them being based on an RPG. That was not the norm for collab ships up until that event.

This is a rerun of old 2 (3?) year old ships (a few still valid, though not top tier 'use these to breeze through w13-14) ships with a few new ships.

Haven't looked too closely at the new ships though. Maybe some coordination there?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The battlecruiser (Tamaki) gives shields to VV ships. I think that's it for synergy.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I have gotten Nagisa, Nyotengu, Monica, Misaki, Honoka, Luna. Are there any good ships i am missing? I don't much care about waifu and i don't know what franchise the collab is from so the collection aspect is not important either. I just want good ships to use in content, to progress my tech levels, etc.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you don't care about waifu or collection you can ignore every collab azur lane has in favor of grinding up good ships that actually increase your tech levels. Honoka's somewhat unique in being a healing battleship that doesn't suck and Marie Rose is a pretty good destroyer - but there are better faction ships to focus on if you just want to grind Important Things.

The collab's from Dead Alive's (normally a mid tier 3d fighter) beach volley/ball resort game, for what that's worth.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Many thanks :)

So since i have Honoka i should use the selector on Marie Rose? I.e. to then have both the standout ships.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That'll do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

killer_robot posted:

If you don't care about waifu or collection you can ignore every collab azur lane has in favor of grinding up good ships that actually increase your tech levels. Honoka's somewhat unique in being a healing battleship that doesn't suck and Marie Rose is a pretty good destroyer - but there are better faction ships to focus on if you just want to grind Important Things.

The collab's from Dead Alive's (normally a mid tier 3d fighter) beach volley/ball resort game, for what that's worth.

I think Manjuu's been making collab ships better. The Atelier crew was remarkably good and had great synergy with each other.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and Rika's a decently good ship. But why complicate matters, especially when the bulk of venus vacation ships aren't all that great and one of the two vv ships we have now is a support ship for vv ships; also, the atelier ryza ships need to work together to get full use of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Finally got all 200+ of my SSR and UR ships to max limit break. :rip: my coins.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Submarines, whats the deal with these.

It looks like there is a grand total of 3 of them available outside of events? (Cavalla from war archives, Dace from i dont remember, and the one you start with)

Im not getting the impression that submarines are very important but its still kinda weird that its almost not possible to even fill a fleet with them outside of events.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ineptitude posted:

Submarines, whats the deal with these.

It looks like there is a grand total of 3 of them available outside of events? (Cavalla from war archives, Dace from i dont remember, and the one you start with)

Im not getting the impression that submarines are very important but its still kinda weird that its almost not possible to even fill a fleet with them outside of events.

Bluegill is available from the merit shop and most of the others can be built through special construction if you want to spend cubes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

They can be a big help if you need extra firepower, like calling them in for help with boss fleets. The IB subs are the best, probably unsurprisingly, especially the ones with the Wolf Pack Tactics skill that lets them buff each other. (U-47 doesn't have this skill but she's still top tier.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wolfpacks used to be the best, but I believe now Leonardo + Archerfish + Royal Fortune/Albacore/I-13 are technically better. Leo is incredibly good, and Royal Fortune utterly demolishes anything with light armor (and is competitive with the top subs on medium).

As for "what's up with subs", they're a poorly-designed feature, unfortunately for something so critical to WW2. With triply-restricted uses (whether you're allowed to use them at all, then a limited number of uses per map in a restrictive area if they are), they're pretty much the definition of "niche". Generally speaking, the content you can use them on is too easy to bother, and the content you'd want to use them on, you can't. The only real exceptions are worlds 13 and 14 and OpSi bosses (except the META fights because....).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Royal Fortune, she's coming back next week. If you don't have her, make sure to get her, she's really good.

EDIT: and the next event is Iron Blood. I dearly hope they've invented a DD, CL, or CA to be the UR this time.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 13, 2023

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It will be KMS Prinz Nieentworfen, a new UR carrier tightly tuned to be of use against Hiryuu meta and only Hiryuu meta.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

killer_robot posted:

It will be KMS Prinz Nieentworfen, a new UR carrier tightly tuned to be of use against Hiryuu meta and only Hiryuu meta.

Finally!

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question - but it's the time of the month that Akashi's yelling at me.

If I buy the 8 dollar gem/money/fuel pass before the old one expires, do I lose the days remaining on the old subscription? I seem to remember doing that when I first started and losing out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

killer_robot posted:

Stupid question - but it's the time of the month that Akashi's yelling at me.

If I buy the 8 dollar gem/money/fuel pass before the old one expires, do I lose the days remaining on the old subscription? I seem to remember doing that when I first started and losing out.

No you don't.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's a livestream scheduled for the 19th, which should be pretty extensive -- previous years' Chinese Anniversary livestreams have included a bunch of information about systems that were a year+ from seeing public release.

Unfortunately, the silhouette included in the announcement makes it appear likely that the UR will be yet another battleship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zurai posted:

Unfortunately, the silhouette included in the announcement makes it appear likely that the UR will be yet another battleship.

Welcome to the game, Götz von Berlichingen.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's some speculation based on the silhouette that it's an H-class Bismarck II.

Here's the art in question, for the record:

The Chinese text translates to "Are you ready to receive/welcome me?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zurai posted:

There's some speculation based on the silhouette that it's an H-class Bismarck II.

Here's the art in question, for the record:

The Chinese text translates to "Are you ready to receive/welcome me?"

I have a hard time believing they'd totally invent a new fictional ship just to name it Bismarck II. Maybe a Bismarck retrofit, but a Bismarck II seems like a bridge too far. Even the PR and Russian ships are based on something.

I still say it's Götz or maybe another Brunhilde-type CB. Comedy option is a Scharnhorst retrofit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Even the PR and Russian ships are based on something.

Eh. Roon is "based" on a random turret (not a ship, literally just the turret), Volga is "based" on a napkin plan with only the vaguest details known, and the H-class ships never had official names. There were supposed to be 6 H-39s, only two of which (Ulrich and Gotz) received tentative names. There's no reason one of them couldn't be designated Bismarck.

EDIT: It also makes some sense in the story. Bismarck was badly wounded and has been out of action for literal years at this point, same as Yorktown.

I'm not saying it is or isn't Bisco 2 Electric Boogaloo, just passing on vaguely credible speculation because it's the only thing to talk about right now. It could easily just be Gotz with a similar profile, a Bisco UR refit, or even Bismarck META.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 15, 2023

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Getting a new UR BB is nice but I also expect them to announce PR6 and Fate Sim for PR5 DR ships.

Since we'll never get another UR frontline ship, PR6 is where the new Plymouth/Harbin will come from.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zurai posted:

Eh. Roon is "based" on a random turret (not a ship, literally just the turret), Volga is "based" on a napkin plan with only the vaguest details known, and the H-class ships never had official names. There were supposed to be 6 H-39s, only two of which (Ulrich and Gotz) received tentative names. There's no reason one of them couldn't be designated Bismarck.

EDIT: It also makes some sense in the story. Bismarck was badly wounded and has been out of action for literal years at this point, same as Yorktown.

I'm not saying it is or isn't Bisco 2 Electric Boogaloo, just passing on vaguely credible speculation because it's the only thing to talk about right now. It could easily just be Gotz with a similar profile, a Bisco UR refit, or even Bismarck META.

Oh, I'm not trying to criticize you or anything, I'm just saying the speculation seems batty. Bismarck META does seem a distinct possibility.

Anyway if Bismarck II somehow becomes a thing I am going to loudly demand a Hood II with superbullshitium armor, nuclear propulsion, and those 20" guns Jackie Fisher envisioned for Incomparable.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 15, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

How liberal should i be with using the lvl 120+ material?

I have several ships now at 120, reluctant to upgrade them as the 120 material seems far more scarce than the 100+ material.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PR/DR really shouldn't be counted in terms of whether AL is using historical ships/designs for new ships, because those are all just WoWS ships. And while the earlier seasons were mostly fairly reasonable, they've slowly become more dubious given WoWS itself has gone completely around the bend for a while now in terms of many of their new ships having any connection to reality whatsoever. The PR6 batch might be neat on their own, but I'm not really expecting them to be some sane potential ship design any more.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Ineptitude posted:

I have several ships now at 120, reluctant to upgrade them as the 120 material seems far more scarce than the 100+ material.

They are more scarce then the normal 100+ awakening mats. However, you'll accumulate them slowly over time, one of the dailies gives like 15 a day so that's 105 a week.

It's not super important to upgrade ships to 125 unless you're doing the most difficult content so there's no rush to get them anyways.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

125 is basically needed for world 14 and trying to one shot metas/other high end content. World 14 requires rather tight ship specifications, as does Meta ship busting. As with everything in AL, unless you're trying to break the game, level up your waifus. You will, eventually, get the cores you need to upgrade to 125 and they keep coming at a steady trickle far faster than AL introduces top tier breaking ships. As usual, log in every day and you'll eventually get over the rewards/cost curve. Focus on getting your ships to 120 first for the fleet wide stat boosts first and work on a small core of ships you really want to use for top level play if you want.

You will, eventually, get more cores than you need with the rate AL releases top tier ships. I have the entire Ryza fleet at 125 because they're good friends and work well together. I use them for mindlessly clearing OpSi maps. I have enough cores for 8 more UR ships if I want to put in the effort.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 16, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The 100+ chips are the bottleneck. You run out of them far more quickly than you run out of the 120+ chips. You can use the 120+ chips on any ship that gets to 120 without worrying about running out.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

The 100+ chips are the bottleneck. You run out of them far more quickly than you run out of the 120+ chips. You can use the 120+ chips on any ship that gets to 120 without worrying about running out.

Really? I'm sitting on 30-40 thousand level 100+ chips and maybe 900 120+ chips. Seem like they just throw the former at you every which way.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

killer_robot posted:

Really? I'm sitting on 30-40 thousand level 100+ chips and maybe 900 120+ chips. Seem like they just throw the former at you every which way.

That stockpile doesn't last very long when you have over 200 SSRs at level 100+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

ok but why on earth would you have 200 ssrs at >100