Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Is there any downside to having a weak defense fleet in PVP? I am always grateful when I see some nerd with a Bulin and some other dinky ship because it makes it easier to get my three daily wins.

To my understanding, pretty much none for normal player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

UHD posted:

i already unlocked all the pr1 ships so double check me but i think as of the last update you dont need to use bb/bc exclusively to get xp towards monarch anymore

True, but they all need to be RN still.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

if youre using pvp solely for xp or easy merits then your defense team doesnt matter make it an easy or amusing team so others can get easy victories

if you want the highest pvp rank possible then you want the strongest bullshit defense you can manage to increase your odds

the only real benefit to high pvp rank is the once-per-season glut of merit for hitting the higher ranks and a bit more per pvp fight i dont think it affects anything else ever

twistedmentat posted:

True, but they all need to be RN still.

sure but youre free to use carriers (or dds for the ca/cl pr1 boats) if you want. the flexibility is nice.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Is there any downside to having a weak defense fleet in PVP? I am always grateful when I see some nerd with a Bulin and some other dinky ship because it makes it easier to get my three daily wins.

The only real downside is you get less exp if they have something like a 1:1 with level 1 ships in their defense fleet

Best scenario if you want exp is finding someone with a full fleet of 120s with no gear on but hardly anybody goes to that kind of effort building a gimme defense fleet

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Lord of Pie posted:

Best scenario if you want exp is finding someone with a full fleet of 120s with no gear on but hardly anybody goes to that kind of effort building a gimme defense fleet

It depends on the ships too; some gear-less Lvl 120 ships will still absolutely murder the poo poo out lvl 100s if they win the coin-flip and activate their barrages (looking at you Nagato).

The PvP Merit currency is really messed up in that the players who need it the most can't get much of it (IIRC a new player would be able to get around 1 Gold Bulin every 3 weeks or so?) and the players who can get a lot of it (i.e. the players who can field endgame fleets) have less and less use for it. I have 871290 merit and am not using it on anything except the occasional cube. I wish they would at least replace the gray/blue equip boxes with something else.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Catastrophe90 posted:

It depends on the ships too; some gear-less Lvl 120 ships will still absolutely murder the poo poo out lvl 100s if they win the coin-flip and activate their barrages (looking at you Nagato).

The PvP Merit currency is really messed up in that the players who need it the most can't get much of it (IIRC a new player would be able to get around 1 Gold Bulin every 3 weeks or so?) and the players who can get a lot of it (i.e. the players who can field endgame fleets) have less and less use for it. I have 871290 merit and am not using it on anything except the occasional cube. I wish they would at least replace the gray/blue equip boxes with something else.

Yeah, all I've used merit points for for ages is the rare cube and bulins for when my big wad of random commission fodder started all hitting 70 at the same time

apad
Nov 21, 2002
How do you raise ship girls past lvl 100? Like, where is it in the menu?

I know I need Cognitive Chips to do so. I just never paid attention to how many I had since that goal seemed so far away.

Enterprise just hit 100 one-minute before servers went down for maintenance, and I wasted that minute flipping through menus.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

apad posted:

How do you raise ship girls past lvl 100? Like, where is it in the menu?

I know I need Cognitive Chips to do so. I just never paid attention to how many I had since that goal seemed so far away.

Enterprise just hit 100 one-minute before servers went down for maintenance, and I wasted that minute flipping through menus.

Click on their pulsing EXP bar. It is very unintuitive.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The best defense fleet for giving people easy wins I've seen is a full Hololive collab fleet. Even if they have a 12k Front/Backline my trash levelling fleet will wipe them out easily.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Grrr... this maintenance needs to end already so I can throw all my cubes at Nagato.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Nipponophile posted:

Grrr... this maintenance needs to end already so I can throw all my cubes at Nagato.

:same:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i cant wait to spend like 100 cubes trying to get a weird aviation sub ill likely never use because what even is that

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Nipponophile posted:

It took me ~300 cubes when the event first ran but she's absolutely worth it

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

UHD posted:

i cant wait to spend like 100 cubes trying to get a weird aviation sub ill likely never use because what even is that

So they added I-13 and Suzuya to force those of us who collect and got everything last time to blow a pile of cubes/coins anyway.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There seems to be an issue where I'm throwing all my cubes away but I'm not getting Nagato. Does anyone know when this obvious bug will be patched out?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
I forgot how bad the equipment drops for this event were

Catastrophe90 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 16, 2020

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I got the aviation sub, Kawakaze, and Suzuya but not Nagato.

I'm sad but I can deal. Got a long time to not get Nagato.

apad
Nov 21, 2002

Systematic System posted:

Click on their pulsing EXP bar. It is very unintuitive.

Thanks! You weren't wrong. The EXP bar wasn't even pulsing. It just had a blurb above it that said "awakening". I tapped on it and she woke right up. :cheers:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think I got almost everyone from less than a hundred cubes. I got Nagato, I-13, Harustuki, and some of the blues. I am missing Kawakaze though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
52 cubes for I-13. Suzuya being an elite is in a wider pool so I expect that to be tougher.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Nagato and Suzuya out of 13 builds so that's a lot of pressure off. :toot:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nagato and 2 of the purple ships in like 8 pulls. I'm done.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think they hotfixed that bug I mentioned earlier, since I finally got Nagato. It took me probably 80-90 cubes though. Now I just need some luck getting the weird-rear end carrier sub.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I'm trying to build a full Royal Navy fleet to finish up on Monarch and...drat RN vanguards loving suck. I can have 3 maids at the front but they aren't particularly good or synergistic

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
No pack with a random skin but then the skins are nothing to write home about either.

Grats everyone who didn't have Nagato though, worth a lot to get hold of her.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So I'm trying to build a full Royal Navy fleet to finish up on Monarch and...drat RN vanguards loving suck. I can have 3 maids at the front but they aren't particularly good or synergistic

You have the wrong ones then. Neptune, Sirius, Dido, London refit, York refit, Fortune refit... all very handy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive got sirius, dido and london and they really dont hold a candle against the american and japanese front lines. Thank god the new PR ships change that but yeah gonna have to grind them

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
The US are heavy on great vanguards but HMS is hardly worse than any of the other factions.

Aurora, Swiftsure, Dido and Neptune are all incredible. Then theres a bunch of others ranging from great to good like Belfast, Sirius and Javelin.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Monarch only cares about HMS backline EXP. Nothing stopping you from filling your vanguard with USN gunboats.

Also, HMS vanguard EXP is relatively easy to grind thanks to Amazon's +18% EXP for DD skill. I'm currently using a Unicorn + Cygnet/Amazon/Javelin mob fleet to grind 8-4 and a 3-star enemy fleet is around 3600 EXP per battle for 35 Fuel. You could further lower the fuel cost to 32 with Shouhou + Cygnet/Amazon/Crescent.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Spent fifty cubes or so yesterday and ended up with Nagato and Kawakaze. I don't think I'm going to chase the I-13 unless someone tells me its super useful for some content? Mostly that's because I'm too new to find that submarines are terribly useful. Are they just for filling out your fleet?

Two other new-player questions.

First, how do I go about building an oil-efficient fleet for farming stages like 3-4? My main fleet is now up to...49 oil? Hornet, Arizona, Hiryuu in back, Laffey, Eugen, Indianapolis in front, and it's probably going to get more expensive as I swap in the Nagato and Montpelier as those get leveled up. It feels like I need to keep making stuff more expensive to continue advancing, because limit-breaking is the only way to get more level cap room. I'm know I'm way overleveled for 3-4, but I've been slowly clearing my way through other content (5-1 in normal content, and I don't have the third carrier to do 3-1 hard) and trying to do occasional runs of event content for time-limited rewards, which distracts from getting further in the main content.

Second, what do you do with spare blue ships? My dock is getting pretty full these days. I've been enhancing with nearly all of my spare grey ships, keeping a single copy of every ship I unlock, but blues seem like they're more valuable? Should I be saving them for limit breaking? Enhancing with them? Retiring for medals?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Arcturas posted:

Spent fifty cubes or so yesterday and ended up with Nagato and Kawakaze. I don't think I'm going to chase the I-13 unless someone tells me its super useful for some content? Mostly that's because I'm too new to find that submarines are terribly useful. Are they just for filling out your fleet?

Subs in general supplement your 2 regular fleet with additional damage. You are right that they don't matter until the later worlds. That said, I-13 is currently the only Sub that contributes to your Air Power and thus has an effect on the Air Superiority mechanic, so she's nice to have around in the late-game.

Arcturas posted:

Two other new-player questions.

First, how do I go about building an oil-efficient fleet for farming stages like 3-4? My main fleet is now up to...49 oil? Hornet, Arizona, Hiryuu in back, Laffey, Eugen, Indianapolis in front, and it's probably going to get more expensive as I swap in the Nagato and Montpelier as those get leveled up. It feels like I need to keep making stuff more expensive to continue advancing, because limit-breaking is the only way to get more level cap room. I'm know I'm way overleveled for 3-4, but I've been slowly clearing my way through other content (5-1 in normal content, and I don't have the third carrier to do 3-1 hard) and trying to do occasional runs of event content for time-limited rewards, which distracts from getting further in the main content.

Don't worry that much about farming 3-4 until you get to commander level 70. IMO the commissions and dailies you unlock through commander level are more important than the Fox carriers. Just keep progressing until you hit a wall (and need to grind levels) or you reach Chapter 9 (Chapter 9 and beyond require a bit more game knowledge, and 8-4 is a great chapter to grind).

If you positively absolutely have to grind, there are 3 main ways to save fuel:
- Use lower rarity ships: Good low-rarity ships used for grinding are Cassin/Downes (DD), Phoenix/Leander (CL), Portland (CA), Pennsylvania (BB) and Ranger (CVL)
- Use non-Limit Broken ships: The most notorious non-limit broken fleet is Terror + Fletcher/Foote/Aulick, for a total of 8 fuel/battle. At lvl 70 with maxed out stats/skills they're good enough to grind all the way up to Chapter 6 IIRC (dunno, I don't use them)
- Use less ships: A single lvl 100 ship costs less than 3 lvl 80 ones. You'll see people talking about 1:1 fleets a lot, those are fleets with a single vanguard and a single backliner, usually a USS Gunboat and a BB.

Arcturas posted:

Second, what do you do with spare blue ships? My dock is getting pretty full these days. I've been enhancing with nearly all of my spare grey ships, keeping a single copy of every ship I unlock, but blues seem like they're more valuable? Should I be saving them for limit breaking? Enhancing with them? Retiring for medals?

Retire Purple/Gold ships, only use Gray ships for enhancing your fleet.

You can keep blues around for Limit Breaking if you have the space and are really short of Purple Bulins. Otherwise retire them. The Medal shop has good stuff in it and you'll never have enough medals.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In theory, the main thing about I-13 seems to be that she gives a 10% damage boost (for 10 seconds) to your main fleet when she comes in, so it's your choice when it applies. Combine that with manual CV/BB/torpedo firing, and it can add up at a critical point - possibly being more use than what subs normally bring to the table.

The problem with that theory is that the vast majority of bosses don't appear in sub zones, so unless you need that damage boost for mob clearing her actual usefulness is dubious.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I mean you can move the subs location to assist with the main boss, you just gotta spend extra oil to move them.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

catgirl boat acquired :toot:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

UHD posted:

catgirl boat acquired :toot:

you're going to need to be more specific

(nice job finishing farming cheshire already!)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
They took the nuke symbol off of Indy's bomb.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got Suzuya so I'm back to light grinding for blueprints from the exchange now.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Nipponophile posted:

They took the nuke symbol off of Indy's bomb.

That seems like an odd change.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They switched her to her JP version art for whatever reason.

Not like it isn't obvious what she's sitting on anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
How mean would it be to hope she or Portland got a shark-themed skin?