Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Estraysian posted:

PR2 ships all have great fate sims, just pick your favorite. PR1 none are worth going out of your way for.

And don't worry, the UR boats don't have fate sims... yet.

i dont think any of the pr3 boats have fate sims either

im holding onto like 85 cheshire blueprints just in case they are added later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
FDG/Drake/Azuma aren't really worth thinking about. It's just a years long endgame grind.
By the time you can get them done, you don't really need them and have dozens other worthwhile ships for that slot.

I've been on series 3 research focus since its release and I've spent a ton of gold picking up additional Drake SUs as the research opportunities came up.
The result is that my Drake is Dev level 22, which sounds like a lot, but the numbers are so silly that this is just 244 out of 513 total SUs, so I'm not even halfway done.
I assume there's people that have gotten theirs to a higher dev level at this point or maybe even completed her, but I also gotta save gold for events every now and then.

And she's just kind of unimpressive in comparison to even low rarity CAs because her stats and efficiencies are just worse.

The really impressive series 3 research ship is Cheshire, since she starts to function in her role at a low amount of SUs and is already worth taking over other ships around dev 10 to 15 if her skills are levelled.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Zwiebel posted:

FDG/Drake/Azuma aren't really worth thinking about. It's just a years long endgame grind.
By the time you can get them done, you don't really need them and have dozens other worthwhile ships for that slot.

I've been on series 3 research focus since its release and I've spent a ton of gold picking up additional Drake SUs as the research opportunities came up.
The result is that my Drake is Dev level 22, which sounds like a lot, but the numbers are so silly that this is just 244 out of 513 total SUs, so I'm not even halfway done.
I assume there's people that have gotten theirs to a higher dev level at this point or maybe even completed her, but I also gotta save gold for events every now and then.

And she's just kind of unimpressive in comparison to even low rarity CAs because her stats and efficiencies are just worse.

Hello fellow Drake owner.
Drake's deal is mostly that Royal Navy CAs are a joke, especially the "tanks"(If York retro is your next best option...). Drake dev20+ performs rather well in HMS fleet and can enjoy the Queen buff or can fulfill the HMS-bote requirement for other units like George or Dido. And pirate ladies of course are fancier than annoying fake cat-maids.

(I would not say her stats are unimpressive, Drake is all about boring big numbers. It just takes a loooong while to enhance them. )

But yes, rainbow-botes are a some pet-project with questionable input-output relation. Make sure you really, really like that bote. If you don't want to whale for the "cube-analysis BPs < cubes < gems < RL money" -loop (who does?) , you won't belong to those crazies having a dev30 Drake in 2021.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
That's an exaggeration.

No money spent on getting Drake. Just 50k points every event for the bps and Drake research whenever it pops up. Some cube research with excess, but that would have only dropped a month off at most.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
That's pretty impressive.
I guess coins weren't an issue?

I never have enough between event gacha, retrofitting stuff, upgrading gear, buying books in the shop and limit breaking more ships.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Largepotato posted:

That's an exaggeration.

No money spent on getting Drake. Just 50k points every event for the bps and Drake research whenever it pops up. Some cube research with excess, but that would have only dropped a month off at most.

Yes i exaggerated, but just a bit.
I did not start PR3 as early as it was released or have the time or luck to run the optimal research gacha. Kind of like hoping for Drake-gun and not getting a single piece for 3 weeks.
Rainbow ships are still a big commitment for casual or new-ish players.

Congrats on your dev25+ Drake. I am bit jealous, but now i know it can be done.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I've seen people with dev 30 Drakes on the global server so it's certainly possible, just a massive grind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OutofSight posted:

But yes, rainbow-botes are a some pet-project with questionable input-output relation. Make sure you really, really like that bote. If you don't want to whale for the "cube-analysis BPs < cubes < gems < RL money" -loop (who does?) , you won't belong to those crazies having a dev30 Drake in 2021.

I gotta say to the UR ship girl notion, Friederich is super tempting. I balked at how many coins I'd have to pay for her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
PR ships are pretty much just background noise to me, I have Roon, St Louis and Monarch and am learning Ibuki I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FDG is the one who really stands out thanks to that special barrage of hers that feels like it obliterates my fleet in PVP. I think Nagato has something similar?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

FDG is the one who really stands out thanks to that special barrage of hers that feels like it obliterates my fleet in PVP. I think Nagato has something similar?

Nagato's trick is buffing Sakura ships (especially carriers) and having a enhanced version of "BIG SEVEN". Better version of Bismarck for faction fleets basically.

Freddy has really big numbers: Big efficiencies on guns, big health pool etc. The proximity condition for her barrage is interesting.
But saying "obliterating barrage" can count for a lot of battleships.
Monarch, Warspite-kai and Howe are not too shabby either on the HMS front. Or French BBs like Richelieu and Gascoigne.

Sorry, i sound like i want to talk FdG bad, but it is a long-term project, and there are plenty of good ships. Not even only in research PR. They can do 70% of what Freddy does in 40% of required investment.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I'd throw a vote in for Tosa in terms of good barrage BBs if you're forming a Sakura fleet, accepting that obv. she is not as good as Nagato.
What feels like a very strong additional %age barrage on her shooting, and her close proximity barrage can be quite good at finishing off bomb boats that get past the vanguard.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

IJN also have Amagi if you got her. Crippling Strike has a nice pattern and it's all AP shots so it'll just pierce across the screen.

There's also KGV and Alabama for meaty screen clearing barrages.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OutofSight posted:

Sorry, i sound like i want to talk FdG bad, but it is a long-term project, and there are plenty of good ships. Not even only in research PR. They can do 70% of what Freddy does in 40% of required investment.

No, it's fine. I like what we might charitably call 'sub standard' ships in my fleet, being a noted Mikasa fan. (It's okay, I have her Z-Flag at +10 so she's almost average.)

With this Northern Parliment event about to rerun, are there any ships I should look out for and be upset I didn't pull?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

No, it's fine. I like what we might charitably call 'sub standard' ships in my fleet, being a noted Mikasa fan. (It's okay, I have her Z-Flag at +10 so she's almost average.)

With this Northern Parliment event about to rerun, are there any ships I should look out for and be upset I didn't pull?

I'm pretty sure the upcoming event is a brand new one.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Tashkent's probably the big prize from this pool. The other Russian boats are mostly just ok, but Tash is a top tier DD.

Avrora's also pretty cool if you don't have her. She has a pretty unique fleet wide FP buff.

Also depends if Soyuz turns out to be good or not I guess.

E: I legit thought this was a re-run too.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
That is no rerun. Entirely new event.

Thought that first, too. But the ships getting exp bonus in the preparation phase are entirely different to the last NP event.

New Soviet botes from "sekrit dokumets", comra ... no this isn't WoWS.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hopefully this will give us another chance to get Tashkent's gun. It's one of the top DD guns in the game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Kata-Haro posted:

IJN also have Amagi if you got her. Crippling Strike has a nice pattern and it's all AP shots so it'll just pierce across the screen.

There's also KGV and Alabama for meaty screen clearing barrages.

Tosa/Nagato/Amagi backline can cover the screen in shells for several seconds if all their skills fire at once. It's insane how much damage they can pump out.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
There's a stream starting in just under 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAAVSVrz1fE

Revealing the boats from the new event will be part of it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Man, I finally got around to clearing 12-4 and getting it down to safe, and that has made a huge difference in my XP grinding. With those double XP things, I'm practically zooming along.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So this event looks to be dropping some big lore/story bombs for those who care about that sort of thing. I'm interested in seeing how they'll wrap things up tomorrow.

Obligatory gacha post: I did somewhere around 20 pulls today and got a Gremyashchy and Tallinn, so at least I can put those event shop points towards blueprints instead. I'm gonna cap out FdG one of these years.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nipponophile posted:

So this event looks to be dropping some big lore/story bombs for those who care about that sort of thing. I'm interested in seeing how they'll wrap things up tomorrow.

Obligatory gacha post: I did somewhere around 20 pulls today and got a Gremyashchy and Tallinn, so at least I can put those event shop points towards blueprints instead. I'm gonna cap out FdG one of these years.

I've been trying to read the story boards but good lord it's dense garbage. They just introduve terms, names etc and I'm expected to know wtf they're on about?

I did 30 and got Kirov, Murmansk and Gremyashchy. I just need a little luck to finish.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The commander is probably a siren or related to a siren, or something like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shockingly I got everybody (including Tallinn before Belorussiya which was weird but okay) including the Elites which often prove to be the most elusive.

Do I want that DD gun in the shop?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Do you use destroyers?

(It's a very good gun)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nipponophile posted:

Man, I finally got around to clearing 12-4 and getting it down to safe, and that has made a huge difference in my XP grinding. With those double XP things, I'm practically zooming along.

Double rewards include double XP?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Absolutely. It's the number one or two destroyer gun in the game, depending who you use it with, and there are lots of cruisers that can make good use of it too.

Bell_ posted:

Double rewards include double XP?

I'm talking about those high-efficiency thingys, the consumables they added a couple months ago. Once a stage is at 3 stars and safe, you can use one to double the XP and loot drops at the cost of double the oil. They're a huge time saver if you're doing a heavy grind, like PR ships or leveling past 110.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Monolith. posted:

The commander is probably a siren or related to a siren, or something like that.

my long-running speculation is that the world of Azur Lane is some sort of matrix-esque simulation the Sirens are running (this part is sort of canon?) and they and the commander is participating in a double blind trial for their tests

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Estraysian posted:

Do you use destroyers?

(It's a very good gun)

It's also Tashkent's gun if you don't have it for her.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Bluh. I guess i should grind the MK-5 in D3. I am starving for good CL guns and i could really need that thing on Belfast.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If it helps, the blueprints drop outside of boss nodes. Also, there's little in the way of other equipment worth grinding in this event. I just wish Tashkent's gun was on another level so I could try to grind multiples.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the purple DD gun on D1 is decent, not as good as the French 138mm gun but fires a little faster so it's fine for barrage triggering.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for recommending I buy the shop gun. Don’t have Tashkent but Laffey Kai likes it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I am still denied access to my girls, but I did manage to buy Crosswave since it was released for the Switch lately, and it's a pretty good game, but I feel like writing a lot of words about it. So here goes!

First of all the story is fairly interesting, being set in a timeline branch where everything has been peaceful with no world wars, and all the nations (mostly) getting along. This allowed for some really neat interactions in the story that don't happen in the mobile game. Events in the original are pretty limited to the new event characters and a handful of older ones, so you don't get a lot of the kind of stuff this one has, especially with all the nations more or less working together. Like, the scene where Admiral Hipper and Hammann try to out-tsundere each other was great, and Portland's quest to proselytize everyone to admiring her sister was good as usual, especially since Indy shows up a bunch and tells her to shut up.

It is weird seeing Akagi and Kaga being completely loyal to the Sakura Empire instead of secretly being on the side of the Sirens though. There's also a lot more talk about humans, and shipgirls seem to openly interact with them in society since I guess there haven't been any wars to make humans scared of them.

It's also kind of weird that the Sirens are to an extent treated as a joke in this story too. I mean, they certainly put on a show of going "Oh no, Sirens!" but they frequently just have friendly conversations with the Sirens and almost never attack them. They even have Observer cornered at one point but just...let her go. Probably the worst scene about this is when the girls are having a couple of training runs and Purifier shows up and threatens them, and they basically all ignore her to continue talking about the training exercise and even at one point go "Can you shut up so we can talk about this?" It comes off as very, very bizarre if the Sirens are supposed to be huge threats. I know this is kind of an anime trope, of the villain being sidelined while the protagonists talk among themselves, but still.

It also might be that the Sirens don't seem to be trying very hard in this timeline branch. Tester even says that if the girls in this branch awakened they'd still be incredibly weak and not worth recruiting, which I guess makes sense since this is a world where peace has been the norm and while there's certainly shipgirls that don't get along or even dislike each other, there's no outright hatred. Still, the game had sort of been pushing the idea that the mobile timeline was the only one where the Sirens weren't able to claim complete victory, because it's the only one where the Commander exists. However Crosswave is (as far as we know I guess) the only timeline where Shimakaze exists, so it might just be her presence plus a lack of interest that is preventing the Sirens from making headway in this branch.

As far as the gameplay itself it's pretty good, though a couple of things stand out to me. Since you can control any type of ship in the game, I've tried them all out and they all play a little weird. Battleships for example can't dash by pressing B, when they press B they get a temporary HP shield instead. This makes directly controlling battleships kind of a bad choice for getting places quickly. Light/Heavy Cruisers feel really bad to control, for me, aside from Cleveland and St. Louis. Those two get an auxiliary gun that can be a destroyer type which is why they still feel okay, but for other cruisers that have a gun and torps, they're limited to cruiser guns and those feel awful. DD guns essentially have "infinite" ammo in that you can just spam the gun button as much as you want, cruiser guns have longer reloads though and you just end up in a situation where you burn your four bullets and then you can't do anything except wait for the gun to reload. Cruisers are also a big reason why I swapped to control style B, since St. Louis/Cleveland are awful to play as if you have one gun on R and the other on ZR, which is what A has.

Your two main fleet allies don't seem to use skills on their own, so it seems like the intended way of playing is to control a character until their skills become active, use the skills, and then switch to one of your other allies and use their skills, and just cycle through the three. For most of the game I didn't need to do this because if you buy the deluxe edition, you get given some free weapons that are close to, if not the best, in the game. They're so overpowered compared to anything you can buy (at least so far) that it's ridiculous. I mean, props to them for having the weapons you buy for real money actually be good, instead of low level trash, but still. This meant Shiranui's shop was essentially completely worthless the entire game, since there was no reason to buy any new weapons given you can only equip three characters at one time (the support fleet ships can't be equipped). I guess if I had a fleet of all DDs or cruisers or something I might need to buy another gun, but I haven't done that yet (I might later since one of the Sakura supports has a skill that boosts an all Sakura DD main fleet).

The DLC stories are pretty neat and interesting, but the DLC battles are...awful. See, there's a couple of problems with them. One is that each DLC chapter only introduces one playable shipgirl, and a couple of supports. Since supports can't actively take part in battle, and the only new playable characters are ones you get from buying the chapter, this means there aren't any new shipgirl enemies to pit you against in battle. There's like two exceptions, one in Sirius' chapter where you fight Belfast, and one in Roon's where you fight Z23, but aside from that the DLC battles are either against all mass produced ships, or even worse, "Shoot down X plane" missions.

Speaking of which, Formidable's, Taihou's and Sirus' final missions are hard. The Queen type Siren ship in Taihou's final mission is an enormous HP sponge that my level 100 characters were barely scratching. Formidable's final mission is essentially impossible unless you bring Cleveland and a bunch of AA boosting supports. I first went in with my level 120 characters and the best AA guns I could equip on them and I was doing 0 damage to the planes. Not even "Single digit HP damage," just straight zeros. I couldn't shoot down a single plane, I couldn't even damage them. And Sirius' final mission involves fighting Purifier and a large Siren ship at once, and Purifier can just straight up OHKO you with her attacks if you get unlucky. Granted, I know the Switch version is getting all the DLC at once, whereas it was kind of spread out over time for the other systems so those players had been grinding and probably had level 200 ships to throw at it which made them easier.

Speaking of which I'm not sure what Oathing a ship does, if anything, in this game besides unlocking a movie. I know in the main game it boosts their stats, but there's no indication that oaths boost stats in this game. There's also no wedding dress skins, or skins at all. Well, okay, there's skins, but they're only in the story and you can't actively choose them for your characters, since the models all use the default skins. And on that note, retrofits are a very odd thing in Crosswave. It seems like all playable ships that have a retrofit are in their retrofit state, but all support ships that have a retrofit aren't. Even stranger is that retrofitting appears to be a sort of temporary power up? In Taihou's story, Souryuu tags along with her and there's a scene where Souryuu says "Oh I have something that will help us here" and goes into her retrofit appearance, and then after she does what she needed to do she goes back to her normal appearance and is like "Well can't use that for very long." In Formidable's story too, Warspite makes a mention that she can't power up to her retrofit state for some reason (she doesn't use those words, but it's clear she's talking about her retrofit).

Anyway it's been a lot of fun and I'm still grinding out MIs for cognitive chips and such, and I haven't done most of the Extreme battles (and one of the special cutscenes is only obtainable by S ranking the first 100 Extreme battles). But a couple of other minor things I feel like mentioning:

- I love how Suruga is actually a tanuki but uses her powers to disguise it and make it look like she has horns, so that she doesn't stand out. It's super cute. :kimchi:

- Fleet effects are neat. When you make a fleet, you get bonus stats based on ships with a similar theme and how many of them there are. For example, there's a bonus for having multiple ships with silver/white hair, ships that wear ribbons, ships that wear booty shorts, ships with moles, ships with exposed belly buttons, and ships that took part in certain historical battles. I'm sure there's some guides that tell you how to best minmax it, but it's cool seeing which ships fall into which categories. I never realized Illustrious had a mole!

- As I said before you can't equip any of the support ships, they all just have "Normal [weapon]" in their three weapon slots, but all of them have unique accessories that are fun to look at. One of my favorites is Shiratsuyu's second accessory, which is "Meat!" (even though that seems more like a Yuudachi thing), although Akashi's "Cardboard Box" and Dunkerque's "Axe-Wielding Meowfficer" are great too. San Diego also has one called "Battlestar Collection" which I know is a reference to her having an impressive number of battle stars, but since they put it as one word I can't help but interpret it as her having a Battlestar Galactica box set. Even though deep down I know Sandy would just be bored by it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Iris of Light and Dark are going into the War Archives, so does that mean we might get a shot at having Jean Bart etc on rate up for a bit? (Sidebar, do I want Jean Bart? The only baguette boat I have is Saint Lous.)

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Iris of Light and Dark are going into the War Archives, so does that mean we might get a shot at having Jean Bart etc on rate up for a bit? (Sidebar, do I want Jean Bart? The only baguette boat I have is Saint Lous.)

She and Richelieu are pretty donk if you play manual for the first shot. French fleet was the easiest grind for Gascoigne since the back line did so much damage up front.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Yeah, there will probably be a week of rate-up for all of them based on how they've been doing it.
French battleships are pretty nice for fighting the elite fleets that have one big enemy (or any of the Operation Siren bosses), since they get preloaded salvos. The hard mode event stages always seem to have a lot of those and they have better drops, give more exp and can end up chipping down your farming fleet, so levelling and using one of the french battleships can make those maps easier, quicker and more oil efficient.

They also tend to deal more fire damage, since fire damage is calculated based on the damage of the initial hit and they have high gun damage modifiers in exchange for only being main gun mount +1.
So yeah, they are pretty neat. Jean Bart wants to use a special gun, but you can farm that on the map or just buy it from the core shop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jean Bart was my first waifu in the game as she was super useful when I got her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Got my CL-gun from D3. And three Tallinns somehow.

Effin' gacha is drunk again. Could have used those wild chances when i was farming for Duke of York in the war archives.