Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
(Oh and the rest of the update appears to be more RPG skins for new and old ships alike a la Priestess, Demon, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zurai posted:

Even as someone who is very lenient on ship designs... it's pretty awful.

I actually kinda like it because it looks like one of my favorite Blue Archive characters (a tiny little girl with a false mustache who behaves like Stalin is funny to me, drat it), but it's absolutely wrong for a British battleship. Bring it back as a Soviet sub.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The mustache is dumb but ultimately whatever. What gets me is the Kingdom Hearts reject design elements like the clown shoes and giant rubber sword.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I actually kinda like it because it looks like one of my favorite Blue Archive characters (a tiny little girl with a false mustache who behaves like Stalin is funny to me, drat it), but it's absolutely wrong for a British battleship. Bring it back as a Soviet sub.

On the other hand, I despise Cherino and dislike Red Winter in general, so good riddance as far as I'm concerned. To ignore the comparisons, it's just a bizarre design in general - haven't swimsuits as base design basically been exclusively a submarine thing? I'd almost believe the "repurposed sub design" rumor based entirely on that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lord Koth posted:

On the other hand, I despise Cherino and dislike Red Winter in general, so good riddance as far as I'm concerned. To ignore the comparisons, it's just a bizarre design in general - haven't swimsuits as base design basically been exclusively a submarine thing? I'd almost believe the "repurposed sub design" rumor based entirely on that.

The theorycrafting was that the Anson design was originally supposed to be the submarine HMS Sunfish, which was transferred to the Soviet Union in 1944. Honestly it makes a worrying amount of sense.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
The artist has supposedly said the design was supposed to be HMS Sunfish (granting that Manjuu can and have previously then repurposed designs after the artist has drawn them up) but we are deep into "he said she said" territory here, so your mileage probably will vary.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 24, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The design is less hideously out of place as a sub, but it still looks more like a skin than a main design. And not a skin I'd ever buy.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Serpentis posted:

The artist has supposedly said the design was supposed to be HMS Sunfish (granting that Manjuu can and have previously then repurposed designs after the artist has drawn them up) but we are deep into "he said she said" territory here, so your mileage probably will vary.

If HMS subs are going to look like that, they can go ahead and continue not having any.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Zurai posted:

The design is less hideously out of place as a sub, but it still looks more like a skin than a main design. And not a skin I'd ever buy.

killer_robot posted:

If HMS subs are going to look like that, they can go ahead and continue not having any.

Agreed, frankly. It was a just bad design as well as being an inexplicable design for Anson in particular, which I think was why the communities got so loud about it so quickly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently there was an announcement of upcoming features/QoL updates posted on a Chinese social media site. Among the updates listed:

• An update to the in-game announcement system to make it easier to read.
  • They're updating the mail system to let you store materials (oil, coins, etc) in a storage box separate from your actual stores of those materials. This means you won't have to leave dozens/hundreds of mails unread just because they contain resources that would put you over your storage cap.
  • They're also letting you store special emails (like Valentine's and so on) in a separate "collection room".
  • There's something about increasing the vertical visible space in the main lobby UI so you can see more of the character art.
  • They're adding some QoL features to the Secrets audio file UI.
  • META characters will be getting an unlimited capacity special dock so they don't take up main dock space anymore. This will be released in May.
  • There'll be a way to get older Cruise Pass META ships.
  • They're updating the Arcade (older minigames) and adding more prizes.
  • They're adding a "Standby Mode" to the game where it goes into a special display mode if you leave it on the main lobby screen for a while. Will show most pertinent data like commission timers, research timers, etc plus the secretary ship.
  • They're expanding the dorms to let you interact with ships in the dorm. The image they showed is a full 3D image of the character in a dorm room with camera controls in the corner. Not all characters will be available at the start.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
I like these QoL improvements if they are true. Especially the free dock space we'll get from having a separate storage for META ships.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's definitely true, this wasn't a "my friend's cousin's uncle said" thing. The only wibbly-wobbliness is from the translation because I've only seen basic Google translations of the Dev Notes post.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

wait... 3d characters in the dorms? what... thats so much work

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Indecisive posted:

wait... 3d characters in the dorms? what... thats so much work

3d interactable outfits/skins in the dorm. Literal money printer.

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Most of that is great, but the 3D dorm models? At least the file size will make more sense, but any more bloat and I'll be forced out of the game. Not buying another phone for a single game! It's ridiculous that it can't be run from an SD card anymore. :argh:

Maybe it's time to emulate on my pc... and get banned for it, but who cares if I can't play normally any more anyway?

Everyone who has assured me emulating is fine (and isn't a whale) has come back in <2 weeks with a screenshot of their ban notification

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

Most of that is great, but the 3D dorm models? At least the file size will make more sense, but any more bloat and I'll be forced out of the game. Not buying another phone for a single game! It's ridiculous that it can't be run from an SD card anymore. :argh:

Maybe it's time to emulate on my pc... and get banned for it, but who cares if I can't play normally any more anyway?

Everyone who has assured me emulating is fine (and isn't a whale) has come back in <2 weeks with a screenshot of their ban notification

I've been using Bluestacks for over a year now and I haven't had any issues. I'm definitely not a whale either. Can Manjuu even detect if you're running on an emulator?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Probably yes but they don't actually care. I've been playing on Nox for... dunno. Three years? Four?
Although to be fair I do count as a whale. But I doubt it's that, either your friends were using undisclosed cheats or they were using a fucky emulator.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Probably very tempting to automate things if you play games through bluestacks. Doesn’t BS even come with built in AutoHotKey now?
Can see why that leads to bans.

Also why would you play these on a PC? Gachas, or most mobile games, barely qualify as «games», while on PC you have actual GAMES you can play.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm using my PC now, while my phone is 12 feet to my left.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The vast majority of my AL time has been on BlueStacks, across two computers. Spent a few bucks on it, but I've been playing for years without issue. No automation tho, I just click everything.

Sign me up for free dock slots

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ineptitude posted:

Probably very tempting to automate things if you play games through bluestacks. Doesn’t BS even come with built in AutoHotKey now?
Can see why that leads to bans.

Also why would you play these on a PC? Gachas, or most mobile games, barely qualify as «games», while on PC you have actual GAMES you can play.

It runs while I'm working.

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

I'll probably end up dropping it when the day comes anyway, since I don't like playing handheld games on desktop. It just feels... wrong. Quite the send off with this event though, this RPG theme is extremely my jam. :love:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So we have to wait until May for the Meta dock? I'm bumping up against my dock capacity right now though... :negative:

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

e: From official road map:

Full road map page: https://i.imgur.com/nluXarZ.png

That is not a chibi... that is a death sentence for my phone :cry:
Fingers crossed that it's an April Fool's tease or like a standalone thing outside of the main game!

MehrTentakelnBitte fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 1, 2024

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

On the Abyssal Refrain rerun thread on Reddit people are bemoaning the UR ship frequency and lack of cubes.

I have gotten every UR since i started (dec 22), i have gotten Shinano from the recent pity system, and i have 1500ish cubes. Im not particularly active, literally have never grinded easy maps for urgent commissions for cubes and at most do 2 sets of coms per day.

Do people do 10 pulls per day outside of events or something?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Azur Lane is incredibly generous for a gacha. It's easy to build a comfortable stockpile and get ahead. That said if you gotta catch em all and have a run of bad luck on a purple or gold, or hit pity every time, it can wipe you out fast. I'm in the same boat as you even starting the same month, but even with keeping the trade license and cruise pass running I'm at 154 cubes. I only have that many because I got all this event's ships day one. I had to go to pity for the first time in Soyuz and that's after getting almost completely wiped out by the Prinz Adalbert rerun. Even then I'd never complain since if I'd given up on 3 ships I never even use I'd probably have 800 more cubes today.

My long time player buddy has thousands of cubes and frequently goes to pity multiple times just to save his UR bulins while hitting the hard gold and oil caps with a mailbox crammed full of more.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I have the opposite problem with UR bulins: getting rid of them.

You only need 4 per UR and you get them from events and the cruise pass and you get bucketfulls of the currency you can only use to buy an infinite number of them in the shop. I have enough to buy 36 of them if I wanted to.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

On the Abyssal Refrain rerun thread on Reddit people are bemoaning the UR ship frequency and lack of cubes.

I have gotten every UR since i started (dec 22), i have gotten Shinano from the recent pity system, and i have 1500ish cubes. Im not particularly active, literally have never grinded easy maps for urgent commissions for cubes and at most do 2 sets of coms per day.

Do people do 10 pulls per day outside of events or something?

I've definitely wondered this too. I spent 800 cubes getting... Manchester? The used-to-be-Emerald elite, another 800 getting one of the SRs from the most recent collab, almost had the pity the last two URs, and I've still got 1300 cubes banked.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bar extremely poor luck in multiple new events in a row, or being incredibly wasteful in downtime, cubes are basically only a concern for newer players. Anyone who's played for a decent amount of time will start building up a huge stockpile of cubes because the rate you get them at is very generous and AL's gacha rates are quite good as well. UR bulins are similar, in that you get them and the currency for more at a higher rate then they're actually released, so even if you're not rolling dupes of them you'll be able to instantly fully uncap them if you're reasonably up-to-date on having them all. Gold bulins are the only actual thing I still always need more of, and even there I'm noticing the number of SSRs that need uncapped is slowly decreasing.

Really, AL sits in the fairly nice place where it really is basically legitimately FtP for anyone who's played for a while or is willing to wait, as all the money is made on merchandise and skins instead.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 4, 2024

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Agree on the generous part, one of the main reasons i continue playing and ironically one of the reasons why i occasionally drop some money on it.

Not sure i agree with the UR bulins though.
Since starting the game i have not missed any from cruise missions, i have capped the special currency every month, and have gotten all available from the big map campaign events (at 30k points iirc?) and i am at a huge deficit. (I need 20 to MLB all my URs and i have 14, AND there is another rerun UR coming in a week)

The UR bulin income might be enough to MLB the new URs being released, but factor in the rerun URs (and now also the pity URs) and we do not get enough bulins.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 5, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I have all the URs, all at max limit break, 4 UR bulins in my dock, enough bulin bucks to buy 36 UR bulins in the store, and I've retired like 8 UR bulins. You're doing something wrong.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

You've been playing longer and maybe got more UR dupes while pulling for other event ships. Newer players also have to LB both the new ships and the reruns. I've missed maybe 2 rainbow bulins since I started in December '22 and I've got exactly enough to max LB all the URs available since then, including the store. With Kronsthadt coming next week I'll have to decide whether to max LB her or my new Shinano first until my bulins catch up again.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah as far as i know there arent any more sources of UR bulins, and i have not missed any.

I am 8 short, because of Kron and Shinano

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Well, then the good news is you'll get them eventually and then you'll be in my shoes because they give those things out like hotcakes.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Augh. Finally got New Orleans after months of ticketed 3x autobattle >_< Now to go back what I was putting off for a while and stare at world 15 in abject horror/confusion. Any advice?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

killer_robot posted:

Augh. Finally got New Orleans after months of ticketed 3x autobattle >_< Now to go back what I was putting off for a while and stare at world 15 in abject horror/confusion. Any advice?

Be prepared to manual everything until Safe. Basically if you have a fleet which can do W14, you can do W15, as long as you have sufficient anti-sub.

For 15-3 and 15-4 you have the double/triple boss fight which can be tough.

Bringing high level subs for extra DPS is basically required to beat stages as well.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
NJ/perseus/uni laffey 2 with improved depth /kaza hedgehog/shimakaze for mobs, give laffey 2 hedgehog, replace kaza with sandy and give shima the mark 35 dual over/under water torps?

Sovetsky, biscuit 2, musashi backed with guam, jintsuu 2, unzen for boss.

support fleet is supposed to be fighter based carriers so Illus, Indom, Aquila?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Next event is a Muse event (the first new one since I started playing).

SSR Formidable μ
SSR Prinz Eugen μ (shop/map drop)
SSR Noshiro μ
Elite Kongou μ
Elite Le Temeraire μ (point accumulation reward)
Elite Boise μ

There's a rhythm minigame coming with the event with new custom music.

Skins are a weird mixed bag this time around.

Formidable -- L2D (teacher)
Prinz Eugen -- Dynamic (sports)
Noshiro -- Basic (fashion? shopping? dunno what to call this one)
Kongou -- Dynamic (surfing)
Le Temeraire -- Basic (cheerleader)
Boise -- Basic (maid)
Seydlitz -- Basic (punk)
Yorck -- Dynamic (swimsuit)

New little ship: Shinano-chan

Zurai fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 19, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zurai posted:

New little ship: Shinano-chan

And as you'd expect she's extremely, dangerously adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And as you'd expect she's extremely, dangerously adorable.

She really, really is.

That pillow she's clutching is her rigging.