Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i got enough white hearts to max limit break her on copies alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I should probably get better battleships in my main fleets than Colorado and Repulse. Time to stick Washington in the dorm, I guess.

I don't know how much she compares stat wise to nelson but colorado has the same skill and nelson kicks a lot of rear end, big seven is always a good time when it goes off

ive been using her over washington

so take that for what its worth

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Is that daily thing the only way to get mental chips for upgrades? 3 a day is going to take forever to get a fleet done.

chapter 7 hard mode quests give some too but yeah I assume the slow upgrade is deliberate

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Estraysian posted:

Clearing mode is for hard and event stages. Acts a bit differently depending on which youre doing. You still get the damage reduction on normal stages which is great.

it doesn’t apply to the current event unfortunately

wouldn’t want to make those sixty runs for the purple carrier any easier

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Coolguye posted:

glorious seems to have a pretty good drop rate from the boss node (my discord's guild has not had to do more than 10 runs to get her to show up) so 60 runs i think is more just a 'jesus dude how unlucky can you BE' limiter

I ended up needing 27 runs to get her and she dropped off a non-boss node so yeah it isn't terrible

Hazdoc posted:

Also whoever said Rodney/Nelson aren't good is talking out of their rear end. They're fantastic clearing ships, perhaps not boss slayers, but you're not going to be facing difficult bosses until late chapters or hard mode stuff, and the Foxes will solve that problem for you (or Ayanami). They DO require a lot of skill points, though. Feed them some books, then reap the benefits. You'll want to have them around anyways, when you start working on Monarch's research, so you can cost-efficient farm for XP.

nelson was my flagship for a really long time (until i got tirpitz and amagi and duke of york)

a level 10 big seven barrage is a lovely thing

imo barrage boats are a tier above the other battleships but even if your battleship is "trash" give her a purple triple 406mm and she will gently caress poo poo up for you regardless

i'm seeing a retrofit yamashiro wipe the floor with things and she's pretty bad

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I totally seriously want a fleet of nothing but ships Eva characters were named after.

But I just need a second Battleship for my fleet to go with the Asuka.

So is there anything I can spend coins on? I haven't been able to spend enough to collect from the merchant in forever. Also what is the best usage of the diamonds? I'm tempted to get some big titty anime skins, but if that's a bad idea, then nope.

objectively the best thing to spend diamonds on after you unlock all the dorm slots is more space. dock space in particular will get tight very quickly, but if you want big titty anime skins then by all means, that's what makes the devs the big bucks

coins are used here and there for basically everything: building ships, limit breaks and awakenings (leveling past 100), retrofits, upgrading equipment, upgrading academy things, some research, the general store sometimes has good stuff like t3 skill books and wisdom cubes and whatnot

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

akagi and kaga are good carriers with good stats but youll probably get a hiryuu and souryuu long before you get the fox twins and theyll serve you just as well

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my main fleet has been using saratoga and enterprise for ages even after akagi and kaga dropped because they have far more interesting skills and I can use them in separate fleets for hard modes without neutering their effectiveness

also farming is boring and new players need a variety of ships more than they need two specific ones

apart from the ones already mentioned long island and ranger are perfectly serviceable carriers on the cheap if you need them

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I mean if you want to get the foxgirls to fill out your waifudex you could always unlock the hard mode then eventually just zip right to the boss node

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

Ah yes, Akaga isn't appropriate for literally the hardest content in the game, so therefore new players, who aren't doing the hardest content, and are trying to obtain power ships so they can clear events, shouldn't get them.

hmm

Unicorn, Shouhou, and Illustrious are vanguard defense ships, not ships for doing damage. If you're looking to kill things, they're not the best choices. Saratoga is a retrofit ship that isn't as important to retro as the Starters + Ayanami, and loses in priority to Shouho. At the present, only Enterprise can compare to the foxes, which she does well, of course, but we all knew that already. We don't have Essex or Centaur, so saying Akaga is worthless because of two CVs we don't have yet is beyond foolish. We should be telling people to not get the foxes and instead grind for... oh... QE? Arizona? What the hell?

saratoga is great fuckin fight me

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the alternative to farming 3-4 is not farming 3-4

no ship in the game is that mind numbingly good mechanically

it is of course different if they are your dream waifu in which case go nuts

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Coolguye posted:

recently, i've had a rather uncomfortable number of instances where i've abruptly realized one of my units is level 105 and i have no idea how long she's been there.

they bank xp even after hitting their level cap so you dont really waste any at least

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

yep, its pretty great realizing that you have a ship that can uncap, then suddenly see them shoot up 2 levels when you uncap them

just dont forget to limit break ships, you don't bank xp on ships capped by limit breaks

sure you do

I had a couple ships (leander and cygnet I think) at 110 that went to 112-113 the instant they were level broken, it just takes a lot of xp so it’s harder to do

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

oh my bad sorry

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Just started playing. Only built a few ships thus far, but I strongly suspect this will not be the gacha where I have insane luck as they were all two stars or less.

they all start at 1-3 stars and some of the best start at 2 so it's not as dire as you think

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Got a couple of SRs now. Warspite and I-19. Yorktown's already working out really well and she has garbo for equipment.

One small question: while I've heard you don't want to LB your ships early on because that drives their oil cost up, at the same time I've heard it's worth it to immediately start working on Ranger's retrofit. Is she the exception to the rule?

yorktown is great and warspite is good tho better in pvp where she can reliably gently caress up the enemy main fleet

i-19 is a sub and they're kind of weird and lame early on but a boat's a boat

ranger is cheap on oil and retrofit materials no matter what you do and she's a good carrier so yeah go to town with her

imo you want to LB your ships whenever you can because they get big stat boosts from it and unless you are farming all day long then oil shouldn't be an issue

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Got Belfast, which I'm happy about. Now I just need a good light cruiser gun with HE.

keep your eye out for the triple 155mm mounted gun

it’s probably the only easily accessible he gun for belfast

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

general events like this go:

base story maps are A and B and cap out around the mid lv 50s

the hard modes are C and D will go to around lv 90, they give more base event currency but don’t have daily 3x bonuses

you don’t need to do hard modes to finish missions unless you want the vanity housing item or to do extremes

extremes require finishing D3, are lv 100 or 110, cost no oil to enter or sortie, award nothing but internet points, and are total horseshit

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Squiddycat posted:

i like shouhou is she bad

no boat you like can be bad

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ratzap posted:

I got my 4th of her, still no Bammy.

I’ve nearly max lb’d alabama entirely in copies

I haven’t seen a single baltimore or birmingham

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SoftNum posted:

Same but Baltimore.

same :smith:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i ended up taking prince of wales because that was the only ship in the lineup i didnt already have

twistedmentat posted:

Who should I use my invite on? I already have Hood, so Im thinking either Belfast or Warsprite. Oh wait it scrolls over, so also Ent or Prinny.

belfast and enterprise are both solid picks even tho i think the latter is kinda overrated in pve

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

belfast is a light cruiser so if you want another battleship then you probably want warspite

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that's actually better because I feel like my vanguard could be better. The only really good ship I have in it is Phoenix.

oh then hell yeah belfast or atago

either will need an HE main gun to do their best; keep an eye out for the triple 155mm mounted gun in purple or gold (the blue is normal type), that's the easiest to find

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Decided just to take Ent. Seems like she's the best choice out of them all.

the "best" thing about enterprise is in pvp when it comes down to your ent vs their ent and the loser is the one that fails to proc lucky e first

this can take a while

Dawgstar posted:

Prince of Wales' letter was also underwhelming.

so's the ship tbh but gotta fill out that waifudex

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ive been voting for alabama because she is cool and good so there

e: also bache is loving terrifying

UHD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 31, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I have custom names turned off so I will never see those sorts of things

thanks for sharing it's impressive

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Catastrophe90 posted:

Her skill is good (+35% Firepower is a lot) but her stats are bad.

Extra points for being the only Soviet ship in the game, too.

its damage not firepower so its even better than that

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Squiddycat posted:

I chose these dorks for no reasons other than I thought they looked cute. Please tell me they're the worst characters or something...

you picked the only reason to care

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Bell_ posted:

Is she the last reward of grinding that stage over and over?

I hate the thought, but I've had two SR's drop from build and I know she won't.

yup

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

if you go into Memento -> Memories (left hand column), then filter by Ships (top right) you can see all the ships that have side quests

akashi and long island are the only two i recall that give something other than token resources and a couple retrofit blueprints

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the fox mine is 3-4

they are drop only

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

pretty appropriate tho

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

yeah gold ships only ever drop from boss nodes (I think)

also the rabbit girls are arguably better than the fox girls even before retrofits but theyre still cool and good

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

welp out of cubes guess no mikasa for me

my waifudex will be forever incomplete

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i was pretty stoked about the rerun because i thought i had all the ships from last time but nope theres two subs in that banner and both are gold and one has a story thingie so welp

least i dont need to buy gneisenau or tirpitz

for new players go get a tirpitz shes pretty good

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

oh z46 is a destroyer

still need to get her and the sub tho

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Z23 is retrofitted, and i've gotten the others while farming the event things. They're cute but as you said, other than z1 they're not really worth it at this point. I did manage to get Tripiz so that kind of helps the loss of Bismark on my first account, I will get the other two, but is Demon Princess a skin or a ship?

skin for deutschland

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the real s-tier/t0 ships are the cutest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

neptune was my first research ship and she owns

she’s basically super edinburgh