Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I only just started playing Thursday and managed to snag Black Heart (who's been carrying my fleet for a while now), Green and Noire yesterday, and three Blancs (one of which is already gone for LB purposes). I got Vert too, which is nice I guess. I'm trying to beat SP4 and as much more story as I can to try for Purple/White. I know they're not great ships in the long run but they're time limited and I think they're neat. Gotta say though the only thing that really annoys me about this game is "You actually have to beat the level five times before you really beat it." I just beat SP4 only to see that "22%" on the level, ugh. Gotta do it four more times.

At the very least I got Z23 off drops today so that was nice (started with Javelin, I know, not the optimal choice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Spent most of today farming as many cubes as I could from missions, I got to 5-1 with about 500 oil left and that isn't gonna carry me to 5-2 since I have an even number of cubes. With my last desperate attempt, I pulled junk and a second Green Heart. Disappointing but kinda expected, was really hoping the Green was a White/Purple with the long build time I saw.

Thinking I'll retire the second Green. This isn't FFBE so she doesn't serve much use except to save me a gold Pulin, and I'm not sure I want to MLB her anyway. Plus she's worth 10 medals so that'll get me that much closer to Enterprise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I thought for sure the Nep event was ending at rollover, was surprised to see it was still here so ground out some more cubes. Did some pulls, mostly trash. I got a third goddamn Green Heart, and Yorktown who is new for me but unexciting since I'll have Enterprise soon (and already have Lexington/Saratoga who are better than Yorktown anyway).

I also managed to snag Pennsylvania (twice!) off drops while farming, who is a fairly better battleship than the ones I have. Hooray!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finally got my free Enterprise from the exchange. :toot:

Is there a reason I see so many Long Islands in PvP? I mean she has good skills so she's obviously not a bad choice, just didn't know if there was something else to her that made her a good pick.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got a Laffey today while blueprint farming!

...of course, this means I need to farm even more destroyer blueprints. :negative: Meanwhile I have all these battleship blueprints lying around I can't do a thing with.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yesterday I was bored and built three ships, got two Hippers and Z35. Then later that night I built four, got Graf and Z46. So uh...I guess I'm done with event builds! I didn't get Z25 but she doesn't seem worth going for. Poor Z35 though, doesn't even have a voice.

I already claimed my Tirpitz from the exchange. I don't think I have the firepower to get to D4, much less clear it, though I'm still trying. It's tough because I've run out of gold purins so a few of my ships are stuck at lower rarities, also I don't have many gold equips because my luck on boxes has been pretty terrible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The gold gun in the exchange isn't even particularly useful according to the guide that got posted:

quote:

Very accurate AP gun. But it's an AP gun.
Reload is very fast. Overall it's very similar to the purple Twin 381mm, except it's better in every way.
Fast reloading guns have a usage in triggering firing-dependent BB skills, but the AP ammo has limited usage.
Some may opt to use this for the skill purpose, but eventually the introduction of 381mm kai solves the dilemma by offering similarly good reload and HE ammo, making this gun somewhat obsolete.

e: although a gold gun is a gold gun if you're just starting out and haven't had much luck with boxes.

I was pretty happy to find out (when someone linked me this guide) that I have what's considered the best battleship gun, the purple Triple 406mm MK6.

I also managed to snag a gold Barracuda today, hooray! My Enterprise grows in strength (but still nowhere near where she could be).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finally got the rainbow torpedos from the exchange today, since I already got the other two units and the Deutschland skin, I guess I can go for the furniture now which is much cheaper. The rainbow torpedos are very nice stat-wise but I remain unimpressed by their "homing" ability which seems to be limited to "swerve ever so slightly in the enemy's direction when it's two pixels away and then give up and just fly straight off the screen."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've managed to build everything in Light, and I finally got my first Hood, Atago and Belfast while building Heavy for a chance to get Graf. Yat Sen seems really neat but I don't have either of the Hais yet which kind of limits her usefulness.

Poor Tirpitz, with Hood now I'm struggling to think of when I'd use her. Especially when Amagi is so good considering her skills. Tirpitz hits hard but just doesn't have the utility.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 3, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I had a brain fart and meant Amagi. I still don't have Akagi yet. I've been using Enty/Amagi/Saratoga and they've been doing some real work for me. I'm thinking of replacing Sara with Unicorn for PvP when I've finished enhancing her a bit more, but Amagi alone has made a significant difference in my PvP win rate.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Estraysian posted:

Tirpitz is incredible as a solo backliner for a clearing fleet. When i was farming 10-4 for Jintsuu i used a solo Tirpitz and Phoenix to clear most of the time.

And you probably don't want to use Unicorn for pvp unless you don't have many options, her heal will amount to nothing there.

It's not really her heal that I was thinking about, it was mostly the reload buff, though apparently EN did something that made Reload a bit less of an important stat? At any rate Sara is doing good work so if Unicorn isn't worth it it's not a big deal. Though ultimately yeah I'd love to get Akagi/Kaga and have them in my back line with Amagi, if I ever have luck in the fox mines.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ungulateman posted:

I don't know how to get the blueprints that let me do upgrades.

Just so you know blueprints are the things that let you build new gear in the "Designs" tab under storage. To upgrade the gear you need parts. I know that's probably what you meant but since blueprints are an actual separate thing I thought I'd clarify. Anyway there's a few ways to get parts. The Guild Shop (can be found by tapping "Shop" in the lower left on the home screen, then tapping "Supplies" in the same spot) sells parts every so often. Second, on the Build tab, the Exchange offers parts in the item exchange. But the exchange rates are pretty high (it's 15 medals for 5 T2 parts, and 30 for 5 T3s) so it's not really your best source of parts until you have a lot of medals sitting around, since especially when you're starting out, you probably want to save 80 medals to get a good Super Rare ship on the rotation. Third, commissions can occasionally give parts. I'm thinking mostly of the 1200 oil cost one that gives 18k exp and 35-45 T3 parts. Fourth, one of the Daily stages (Monday/Thursday/Sunday) gives you 3 chances that day to earn parts. And finally, you'll get parts from beating enemy ships in levels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

An Shan's voice is...not...what I expected.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

grrarg posted:

Another thing to keep in mind that is that you get more core data from higher chapter hard modes, so switch to doing the highest one you can if you have been doing lower ones for speed or drop chances.

But...but...my free six fox mining attempts... :negative:

I did actually get Kaga this morning so that was pretty sweet, halfway there!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It took me 30 cubes to get the Light purple ship, I spent 20 for the new carrier but I'm out of money now with about 40 cubes.

So the auditorium is basically the same as the dorm, except it lowers morale and level 100 ships give a portion of the exp gained to be distributed among other ships? Can someone in my active fleet be in the auditorium?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I guess I'm a moron because I still can't figure out the Auditorium to save my life. I've been running level 100 ships for a few missions but still have 0 Proficiency, and I can't start a lecture without having some, so I'm just lost on the whole thing.

I also forgot today was the first day of Core Data thing and ran 3-4 six times and only got 60 proficiency for the day, so :rip: those oxygen torps, guess I won't be getting those.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I just got a notice when I logged in saying they fixed proficiency resetting to 0 every time you quit the game which I guess explains why I didn't have any. :v:

grrarg posted:

Core data should be permanent. The 15 days is how long until the monthly shop reset. Short first reset for you guys since the shop was added in the middle of the month.

Ah, they have it worded badly in the exchange, at the top it says "Core data saved until next period. [Limited] Time left to exchange: x days" which implies that it goes away on the shop changeover. It's good to know it can be saved up, then.

e: Oh wow, only three Hard mode tries per day now, ouch.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 15, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only three a day but they’ve doubled the blueprints that drop per boss.

See my problem is I don't really care about blueprints at the moment, it's that I'm going to miss three quick attempts at Akagi a day. Unless the chances for ships dropping has also doubled (lol good jokes).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Having to grind out 10k event points to get Ryuujou was irritating, but at least it was doable with a decent amount of runs per day, nothing crazy like the 100k event point rewards in the Amagi event. I tried to build her but had no luck, just an endless parade of Kent/Suffolk/Shropshire.

I also managed to snag Victorious on my very first build today, nice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I got through the 3 parts of A that are open and I must say, someone had a BALL with the translations.

"En guarde you tea swigging braggards"

etc and so on, wonderful stuff.

There's a great one in a later stage that's "slimy little crumpet-munching island ape bastards"

I rolled Victorious on my first build yesterday and then Sirius on my first build today. So uh...that's some nice luck. Still don't have Jamaica or either of the purples though, the game decided I hadn't gotten enough Shropshires and Suffolks yet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bacontotem posted:

This events ex map seems the most forgiving so far on EN.

I'll take your word for it, this is the first EX I've gotten to, but I'm getting my rear end handed to me. I'm just no good at avoiding her gigantic laser spread. I can avoid the one that shoots straight across the screen, that's just a simple "go to the top/bottom" but the spread just destroys me.

At least I've gotten every event ship, even got a second Duke of York for LB purposes from running D-3 for event currency.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I dumped over 170 cubes into the Wishing Well for Vampire. Now I have 0 cubes and still no Vampire. :negative:

I still have 5 ships building (I ran out of quick finishers) but I've given up hope that she's in that batch. Meanwhile, the other useless rear end ship I asked for in the Wishing Well I built 7 times.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eighth Aurora, still no Vampire. I have no idea why the game doesn't want me to have her, but I refuse to give up as long as the Wishing Well is still up.

Anyone else checked out the anime yet? It's on Funimation in the US unfortunately, though I have heard it's maybe also on Hulu? Not that I have either of those. I'm hearing good things about it so far at least which is promising.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finally got to see episode 1, and I liked it a lot. Kaga summoning a kaiju carrier was great, and Amazon pointed at a thing, so what else can you ask for? I also kind of like the pseudo-magical girl thing they have going on of actual ships turning into cubes and becoming their gear. I had assumed the ships in the docks were the "mook" ships that you fight in stages, which is why I was confused when I saw the trailers with Enterprise standing on a carrier because I was thinking "So are they not actually the ships or what?" but now it all makes sense.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm on Washington and there's a couple of other goons there too.

I'm still in desperate need of T3 Cruiser blueprints for Sandy/Jintsuu. Seems like I only get 1 and 2 from Hard dailies.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You are lucky you get them at all, I celebrate when a single one shows up and I still need 5

I meant I only get T1s and T2s, not that I only get one or two a day. :v: God, I wish I got one or two a day. Today I got five T1s and one T2. I'm one away from fully retroing Sandy and even then I still need a few more for Jintsuu.

Episode 2 of the anime was good. Little bit fanservice heavy at the start but the fight between Enterprise and Zuikaku was fantastic, and getting to see Prinz Eugen's rigging move around and snap at things (and get fed) was great, I definitely want to see more Iron Blood ships and their living rigging.

I'm starting to feel like they're setting up Alter Enterprise in the series. I know her motivation in the game is the Commander but there's no reason they can't change that, maybe a bad future motivation where everyone dies and she allies with the Sirens to get stronger to change the past so it doesn't happen. I dunno, I could just be overthinking it but they're definitely foreshadowing something with Enterprise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

if you aren't drowning in more T3 airplane parts than you can use, what are you even doing

T3 plane parts are my second most frequently used ones (behind general), I'm almost always bottomed out on them.

My long national nightmare is over. I finally got Vampire this morning! I lost count of how many cubes I spent but it was probably close to 300. And now I have hardly any time at all to stockpile before Mikasa.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

I picked this up a couple weeks ago, mainly due to the new anime, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I really appreciate that there are no "log in at a specific time to get bonus energy" like most phone games I've played. There's no reason to ever plan your day around checking in on your silly collectathon phone game.

That's a big plus for AL for me is that you can do almost everything you need to do for dailies in an hour or two, it's not like Brave Exvius where there's seven or eight things you should be doing at any point in time and practically need to devote your life to it. It's also pretty nice in that even a lot of the common/rare ships are useful in a lot of ways, as opposed to most gacha games where any character lower than 5 star is complete trash.

Episode 3 of the anime, speaking of which, was pretty good. Enterprise needs to lighten up. A lot of this episode seemed to definitely be hinting even harder towards Alter Enterprise but then the ending made me think they're not going that route. I mean they still could, but it seems unlikely. The beach scene with Sandy was great, and Saratoga said "HENSHIN" which of course made me hype (though even though it was supposed to be a gag that we didn't see the fight, it went on a little too long and the scene was too static, which made it feel real cheap).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got a lot of good carriers. In fact I generally run a two carrier/one battleship backline for my Eagle/Sakura fleets. Iron Blood and Royal are two battleship/one carrier. Still, that's six carriers to equip which is 18 planes, and that's a shitload of T3 parts. I'm actually curious how you have so many, unless you just don't run any carriers at all.

Checking my stash, after dailies today I have 98 General, 72 Main Gun, 774 Torp, 183 AA, 20 Plane

MotU posted:

cute ships like Yamashiro

Anyone who appreciates Yamashiro is good people.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah yeah, I imagine how long you've been playing would factor into it too. I started week 2 of the Nepnep event, so a bit behind the curve, and I ran a lot of firepower dailies for a while. Also had to deal with stuff like leveling up F4U Corsairs to 10 and then finally getting F6F Hellcats and bringing them to 10, same with purple Barracudas since I couldn't get a gold for a long time (and now I'm drowning in them). So yeah, poor spending is probably a big reason too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Episode 4 is out, kinda mixed feelings. I felt the fight in this episode was really poorly animated and confusing, actually I feel the animation quality in general in this episode was pretty low. But it did have some nice character moments and a look at stuff going on in the Sakura Empire, good girl Yamashiro showed up (only for like two seconds, but still!), and a setup for Akashi to help out Azur Lane. And Belfast helping Enterprise sort her life out is pretty great.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyte posted:

I hear one guy was in charge of storyboard, direction and key animation. Which can be good and bad. Either way it probably explains why it was so stretched time-budget-wise.

But they sure took their time to lovingly render those 5 seconds introducing Observer Alpha! :v:

Ninety percent of the episode's budget was put into Enterprise in bed and Observer's intro. But yeah dunno if it was budget constraints or if they just wanted this one dude to show his stuff, but it's disappointing this episode had terrible quality to the point that I think they used storyboard frames in Sheffield's attack.

I've also heard this is a fairly new animation studio? So they might not be used to the crunch of a weekly series and that could be part of it too. It might also explain the lack of episode previews, which I miss, it's always nice to see what to be hype about in the next episode.

twistedmentat posted:

I did like Edinburgh being kind of a bungler though.

Also Yakikaze and the others were a fun group. I guess only the heavies know that they're working directly with the Sirens?

Do they change the picture in the closing every episide? I don't remember Eugen being behind a ton of bottles.

The fact Observer was willing to kill Akashi for being seen would imply that Kaga and Akagi are working with the Sirens secretly, yeah. And I don't know if it's every episode but the endings have been slowly adding characters over time for sure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finished my 60 runs and got my garlic bulb today. Wasn't that bad really, I mostly auto'd it with a low oil fleet while I watched Twitch/football. Plus I've gotta grind for Monarch.

I'm in single digits for cubes though, which means unless I get ridiculously lucky tomorrow, I've missed out on Mikasa. Missing a limited ship always sucks, but nothing can be done. It's not like I'll ever have a full collection anyway since I missed out on White and Purple Heart, and Glorious too.

At least I'm not too concerned about Divergent Chessboard rerun. I already got every ship last time, so all I need is the sub, and I don't feel the need to go hard for her anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

God drat, my luck. I had 0 cubes, was like "Welp, no Mikasa for me" and did some other stuff. Happened to check the Rally Request on a whim and saw that I had enough points for the 3 Wisdom Cube reward, grabbed them and decided to do the really for real final build of the event.

"Three and a half hours? Mikasa's gotta be like 4 or 5 hours, so I can finally say I missed out on her." I use the Quick Finisher and...

...it's Mikasa.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I've not seen this loading screen lewder than the hot spring yet

I think they mean the Halloween one with Formidable and someone else I can't remember front and center with their chests very prominent. I actually don't think it's lewder than the hot springs, but it's still one I wouldn't want someone to see over my shoulder either. I gave up on playing this at work ages ago.

Got Graf Zeppelin this morning which would be nice if she wasn't already MLB'd. I'm only missing the sub and Z25, and it's rough building 3 a day on the cube drip feed.

Oh yeah, and episode 5 is out. The animation looked much better this episode, and it was pretty good. Best girl Yamashiro was in it which of course makes it the best episode so far. Lots of opportunities for characters to say their in game lines, Atago is just as bad as Akagi, and honestly I'm still not completely sold on the whole friendship between Laffey/Javelin/Ayanami. I just sort of feel like Laffey is lazy and doesn't ever want to fight, and I'll accept that since it's in character for her and makes much more sense than them somehow becoming that close when they interacted for a grand total of like two minutes in the first episode.

Saint Freak posted:

If you don't have Roon yet you may want to look into hitting this event hard, because German cruisers needed for her are few and far between.

You can still make a complete front line with non-event ones (Karlsruhe and Köln are common, and everyone gets a free Prinz if they just log in enough when they start) but yeah Deutschland is a bit stronger than the other options with her skill (which is identical to Graf Spee's). Hipper is basically a sidegrade Prinz (has the rotating shields but not quite as much HP, does have a skill with a small chance to halve damage) so she isn't great. Deutschland can't be constructed though so yeah, gotta hit the event hard to grab her.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah for anyone who hasn't seen the "lewder than the hot springs" loading screen you won't see it now, at least not in game, it's been removed. From what I understand there's a minor bit of drama around the removal. The official reason for the loading screen's removal, from the discord, was:

quote:

In answer to your recent feedback, we removed a Halloween artwork, which had brought inconvenience to commanders when the game was played in public, from the current loading screens during yesterday’s hotfix.

Obviously, after other loading screens like the hot springs and Hamman's rear end, people didn't buy this excuse, so they did a little digging. How much is true isn't exactly clear but it looks like the artist is potentially guilty of possibly paying people to commit vote fraud (which is apparently why his loading screen jumped from 7th place to 5th on the very last day) and definitely talked about making the image to purposely offend certain groups of people. So a few people are upset at the English dev team, either for "bowing to the SJWs" or just lying about the reason for the image's removal (I think they probably don't want to publicly make defamatory statements, whether they're true or not, which is probably the reason for the bogus explanation).

twistedmentat posted:

Are mono faction fleets effective?

They can be. The big question for if you want to run a mono faction fleet is "Do I have any ships or cats that will give bonuses to a specific faction?" Ships like Nagato and Queen Elizabeth are big incentives to run a mono faction fleet. Likewise, cats like Pound and Marble have innate skills that give boosts to specific factions, and there are Talents for the main four factions that buff their stats.

Eagle is the only faction that doesn't get a whole lot from a mono fleet. That's not to say there aren't any Eagle boosting ships, it's just none of them are as effective for boosting the faction as Nagato or Lizzy or, to a lesser extent, Graf Zeppelin. Baltimore is probably the best Eagle buffer and her skill only works on cruisers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I never notice Hamman's rear end in the hot spring

Hamman's rear end is a different, old loading screen that I just mentioned because it's very much one of the "Hope nobody is looking over your shoulder at work/on the bus" screens. She's wearing a swimsuit but uh, yeah.

quote:

And I have Queen Liz, and that's what made me wonder, because I saw she gives bonuses to other RN ships.

Yeah Lizzy is good, RN vanguards are generally good but not amazing, and she can boost them a bit. It also helps the backline, which RN has way too many good options. Formidable, Hood, Warspite, King George, Duke of York, Centaur, Monarch...it's really hard to pick just two or even three.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Someone has a leg sticking up, extrapolate backwards and you can see how dumb it is. She'd be almost 2/3s leg standing up.

Oh so it's Shoukaku then.

quote:

Personally I run Nagato (flag for bonus), Amagi (fleet buff, enemy debuff), Hyuuga (artillery commander, suicide boat killer), Mogami, Ayanami, Yukikaze (fleet buff). And of course they all put out silly amounts of damage.

I've been running Nagato, Akagi-chan (I got her before regular Akagi and she's already max enhanced and oathed, whereas regular Akagi is still 0 LB and base affection with no enhancement exp), Kaga backline, and the power fleet of Ayaya/Fubuki/Jintsuu Retro frontline. It's nuts. The item box daily, I finished in 19 seconds. The first two rounds were three seconds each of torpedoes hitting the bosses and immediately blowing up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I want a T3 Seaplane for Yamashiro (the Core Data shop didn't get the T0 one on refresh) and I'm having no luck with boxes. I notice I have 9/10 T3 seaplane parts in the depot though, but it seems like they must be event only because they're not in the drop table on the wiki. Ugh.

twistedmentat posted:

My Sakura Empire collection isn't nearly good enough for them to go solo. And are the other Z's any good?

Z18, 19, 20, and 21 are all functionally identical and not very good. All of them have a skill that increases damage from AP ammo (not something you want to equip on a DD). Z2 also has this skill, but adds a second skill that boosts her reload and the damage of her barrage skill and can stack it four times. This makes her better than the others because you can still throw a HE gun on her and she'll still have a useful skill, but I wouldn't call her particularly good.

Z35 has a weird skill that gives her a big FP reload buff, but after the buffs run out it drops her reload massively (though only for 3 seconds). Probably okay.

Z36 has a skill that causes her to launch a barrage at the start of a battle that increases her FP and torp stats, but it'll slowly drop back down to 0 until she launches the barrage again. Since 0 is the limit of how far it drops it means she doesn't suffer any stat penalties like Z35 does, and getting a boost at the start of battle can be nice. Seems alright.

Z1 provides a buff to the FP and evade of other Zs, and her retro gives a critical damage boost to her and reduces damage from airstrikes which is nice. On her own she just seems okay, but her being able to boost the other Zs makes her good.

Z25 just has a flat FP buff, but also a skill that decreases the damage the flagship takes by 25%. Unless the game stacks skills weirdly that would be a 40% reduction in damage to the flagship if she were combined with Graf Zeppelin. This is pretty good although Z25 is pretty unremarkable otherwise since her default skill is pretty bland and DD FP isn't great, but at least it works with HE ammo which automatically makes her better than 50% of the other Zs.

Z46 has a weird skill where she buffs her FP by 15% of her AA stat if she shoots down an enemy plane. Her FP isn't very high to start with and she has the AP ammo boost skill. Honestly I'd probably say she isn't very good since she has the same problem of being a DD that wants to equip AP ammo when DDs aren't designed for that, and her skill doesn't make up for it.

So finally we come to Z23, who is pretty great, her retro has the highest FP of any DD and she has a skill to boost it even further so she actually does pretty well with her guns, especially since she gets 175% efficiency with her gun slot which is much higher than the other DDs. Her retro also gives her a free homing torp barrage, plus the rotating shields, and gives her gun a 100% crit rate for 10 seconds.

So in the end, Z23 is great and Z1 can boost her further, so they're both good choices. Z25 is good for helping your flagship tank hits if you need that, which means she could maybe be useful in niche situations. Z2, Z35 and Z36 have unique skills that make them interesting and usable, but probably not worth sortieing. Basically unless you just have no Ironblood Cruisers at all, Z2, 25, 35, and 36 are probably better on the bench than in your fleet, although they're not outright terrible and you can use them okay. At the very least, they have skills that aren't rendered useless by HE ammo, and Z1 can buff them to be slightly better.

Finally, due to the game screwing them over by having skills that make them want to equip guns that are unfavorable to DDs (and the skill doesn't make up for the drop in damage, people have done the math), Z46, 18, 19, 20, and 21 are not worth using ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Catastrophe90 posted:

Z46 is actually pretty good damage-wise since her barrage shits out a giant cone of AP rounds (think Ayanami's barrage, but larger), and said barrage's damage gets boosted by both of her skills. So load her up with a fast-firing like the gold twin 100mm or blue 76mm and have her spam barrages non-stop.

Ah, I didn't know her barrage was AP, the wiki doesn't list Barrage info on the character page. That changes a lot then, being able to equip a decent gun while still getting a boost on the Barrage puts her as pretty solid. In fact, that boosts a few of the other Zs up a notch since their barrages are AP too and would get boosted by their skill.

Not Z18/19/20/21 though. Their barrages are Normal ammo. So they're all still trash.