Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
This game is significantly more interesting to play than Kantai Collection, thats for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Catastrophe90 posted:

She only gets DD guns as secondary weapons instead of CL ones, so she's a lot worse at shooting down incoming suicide boats.

I believe that all US BBs can only equip DD guns as secondaries, right?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats because the American 5 inchers that armed almost all Destroyers, Battleships, and a few cruisers (Atlantas) were amazing dual purpose guns that were pretty effective against planes (with special ammo) as well as smaller ships.

And the most important thing for ships was anti-air, which the 5 inch DP guns were pretty good at. Bigger guns might be better against ships, but with RADAR and aerial reconnaissance stretching the engagement range of a battle out, using your secondaries on a hostile boat is a LOT rarer than using them on planes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PureRok posted:

Can someone tell me why I'd rather use a gun that does like 6x1 every 1.2 seconds or something vs. 4x3 every 2.4 seconds?

Or maybe what the differences are between the planes? Like, there are some planes that are on the same tier (blue, purple, so on) but have vastly different damages (180x1 vs 63x2 or some such thing).

I feel like there's more to these weapons than what the damage numbers suggest, but I don't think the game ever explains how everything works.

Like, firepower +12 on a purple weapon that does 1/3 the damage of a blue weapon that only does like +6 firepower. I don't know how much that stat affects my damage. Is there somewhere that has like a damage calculator or something?

This is the equip list I've been using, often times the lower rarity versions of the gold equips on that list are still quite good if you have no alternatives.

As you can see, sometimes the best equips in a slot aren't even gold equips.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I did 4 builds and got Atago, Nelson, and Vampire, so yeah.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Books On Tape posted:

Jesus Christ, that picture on the Moon Rabbit event page. :yikes:

Yeah, its a bit uhhh

aggressive

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
gold DD blueprints are a myth

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah the 3 kid boats should be added to the general pool eventually so don't worry if you don't pull them now. I got an I-19 instead, so I'm happy. None of the kid boats are particularly amazing, unless you want another Ironblood Carrier.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I love how Hammann is in that dorm pic too. She's in every furniture pic!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
blue gear is almost universally terrible barring one gimmick and some utility stuff
purple gear is good enough for most things
gold gear is usually the best, but there's definitely some exceptions

Combine your T1 boxes into T2, combine T2 boxes into T3. Then curse profusely when the only purple/gold equips you get are repair cranes.

Now that you have the idea that blue gear is bad, actually don't believe that, because there are some good blue items. There's the one gimmick, the 76mm AA gun, which has the fastest firing rate of any DD gun, so you can potentially use it on somebody like Ayanami for more skill activation chances. Personally, I'd rather use something like the gold Twin 100mm AA guns instead, but its not the worst choice, especially if you're limited on equips. Then there's the fire extinguishers, which are a good defensive equip to help your backliners (or frontliners) avoid burning to death (and they don't come in any higher rarities), and the navy camouflage and hydraulic steering gear are decent equips for increasing a ship's evasion, which can be important for stuff like your CAs if you don't have Beaver Badge or just need more boosts.

Other than those equips (and obviously, submarine equipment), blue equips are just not good. Purple gear can be pretty awful or best in category too, so keep your eyes peeled. You want to look for the item's "tier" rating, which ranges from 1-3 (with some exceptions). A tier 1 item is the weakest version, and a tier 3 is usually the best version of that equip. This is extra important for PLANES, as plane damage is strange and not at all like the numbers you see listed on the screen. You'll want to use mostly T3 planes with like 1 exception, so be sure to differentiate between T2 and T3 planes. Of course, there's other differences between planes like bomb size and number of bombs, so consult an actual guide if you're wanting to learn more. For purple planes, the best fighter is the F4U Corsair, the best dive bomber is the SB2C Helldiver (which is BETTER than any gold option too) or the Ju-87C, and the best torpedo bombers are the TBF Avenger or the purple Barracuda (its T2, but the Barracuda is hella good, upgrade to gold when you get them ASAP). Another good T2 purple is the twin 127mm MK12 dual gun, which you're bound to end up having a trillion of. They're not the best purple DD/secondary, but you'll have a lot of them and they work, so just keep them and use them.

Battleship guns are the main spot where purple guns are usually better than gold, at least for the moment. In my opinion, the best gun for ship's with volley's tied to their guns shooting is the purple 410mm Mounted Gun, and the best gun for raw waveclearing power when you're not worried about volley timing is the purple 406mm MK6 Main Gun. The Gold Triple 406mm Main Gun fires normal ammo, which makes it really crappy, and the Gold Quadruple 356mm Main Gun has pretty awful shell dispersion and nothing good to back it up, so only use that on King George V if you got her (she has a skill that boosts that specific gun). Try to avoid AP ammo on BB guns.
So TL:DR
blue gear sucks unless its extinguisher, wheel, or camo
purple gear is decent, T3 is usually better than T2, use sakura 410 or eagle 406 instead of gold BB guns
don't use the gold quint mag torps, they're actually T2 and really bad, use the purple quad mag torps if you need mag torps instead

this is intended for PvE, i dont care about your pvp loadouts

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 23, 2019

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
my Tennessee is level 108 and i used her all the way to Chapter 9 so don't fret about not having DA BEST SHIPS EVAR. Personally I'd recommend any newbie to get a fleet together that can farm the poo poo out of 3-4, then start farming the poo poo out of 3-4 for the foxes (Akagi and Kaga). Those two are insane and will carry you through most content easily. At least, you'll be able to clear out events, which means you can get new ships and form a proper fleet for late chapters.

If you get Phoenix, I'd make her a priority to level up, as she's a very tanky frontliner that can solo once she's leveled enough, to cut down on oil costs. Golds aren't always the best ships to pick, they consume the most oil and take gold bulins to limit break if you don't have dupes. Blues and Purples are perfectly functional in most ways. Portland/Indy, Fletcher and her sister ships, Yat Sen and Ning/Ping Hai, Shiranui, Kagero, Cassin and Downes, Hyuuga, the list goes on. As people have mentioned, Shouho and Unicorn are top picks for support, as they can heal your Vanguard.

You have Takao, who's functional, but she's squishy until she gets pushed past level 100. She can be a long term investment. Repulse is actually bad, dump her ASAP. Tennessee is bad great don't be afraid to use her she'll get a retro eventually GOD DAMMIT WHEN IS SHE GETTING A RETRO? Same with California. Chicago is an OK choice, but she's also very squishy.

Also whoever said Rodney/Nelson aren't good is talking out of their rear end. They're fantastic clearing ships, perhaps not boss slayers, but you're not going to be facing difficult bosses until late chapters or hard mode stuff, and the Foxes will solve that problem for you (or Ayanami). They DO require a lot of skill points, though. Feed them some books, then reap the benefits. You'll want to have them around anyways, when you start working on Monarch's research, so you can cost-efficient farm for XP.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 23, 2019

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

twistedmentat posted:

I Got the Souryuu last night, the first time I completed the mission too. I don't know if I should switch out Long Island for her, or use her in tandem with Long Island. I mean carriers were the key to Pacific victories. I also switched Eugen back in for Suffolk because she kept dying long, long before every else.

I made it to level 30, so now I have the lab, which I'm not sure exactly how to use. Though It's going to need wisdom cubes, so is there a way to get them outside of just doing daily's and other missions?

dont do the research missions that require cubes, they're bad

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Estraysian posted:

I wouldn't recommend new players spend a lot of time in the fox mines (3-4). It can take a very long time until you drop them and even if you do they're honestly not that great.

hoo boy i'll take bad opinions for 1000 alex

they're very nearly the best CVs in the game, the only other competition is Enterprise, and I'm pretty sure that's still more or less similar on JP. Nagato + Akagi/Kaga (AKA: Nakaga) is pretty fuckin obscene for a lot of content.
not to mention 3-4 drops other neat stuff, and you're going to want to have a spot to level, anyways, why not get 2 of the best ships in the game while you're at it?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Estraysian posted:

New players generally do not have Nagato though and Akaga are not particularly useful for doing any content in the game that actually requires specific fleet setups (worlds 11/12 etc). Nakaga is mostly a pvp setup and I don't think new players should focus on pvp at all. As for best carrier they're outshined by Enterprise, Saratoga, Unicorn, Shouhou and eventually Essex and Centaur. Akaga are overhyped and I wouldn't spend any longer period of time farming them at the start unless I really liked their look.

Ah yes, Akaga isn't appropriate for literally the hardest content in the game, so therefore new players, who aren't doing the hardest content, and are trying to obtain power ships so they can clear events, shouldn't get them.

hmm

Unicorn, Shouhou, and Illustrious are vanguard defense ships, not ships for doing damage. If you're looking to kill things, they're not the best choices. Saratoga is a retrofit ship that isn't as important to retro as the Starters + Ayanami, and loses in priority to Shouho. At the present, only Enterprise can compare to the foxes, which she does well, of course, but we all knew that already. We don't have Essex or Centaur, so saying Akaga is worthless because of two CVs we don't have yet is beyond foolish. We should be telling people to not get the foxes and instead grind for... oh... QE? Arizona? What the hell?

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 26, 2019

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who needs silly fox carriers when you can bury your enemy under 15" shells. God Save the Queen. :colbert:

I've gotten really addicted to RN fleets now with all the grinding I've done with RN BBs to get monarch

I'm not sure I'll be able to give it up when i'm done

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

UHD posted:

saratoga is great fuckin fight me

didn't say she wasn't, but she's not a priority over the starter retrofits and Ayanami. You'll need to gather up CV BPs, which means you're not getting DD BPs, which means you're not retrofitting Ayanami, and saying Ayanami is less important a retrofit than any other ship in the game is a very hot take.
Heck I'd say do Shouho's retro over hers, but I'm assuming you've already started actively working on the Foxes or already have a solid damage dealing main fleet and don't need Saratoga's offensive power over Shouho's support.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 26, 2019

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Estraysian posted:

Alright man sorry I insulted your waifus.

i wouldn't care if you insulted my waifu or whatever, but we're trying to lay out a good course of action for a newbie, and you came in and shot down the idea of farming 3-4 for the foxes without offering an alternative

so

yeah

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
this is why you should be workin on saint louis

its too drat easy to get xp for her, the US cruisers are loaded with good options

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ratzap posted:

You have not read the context of the previous posts in order to understand why the conversation was about Iron and Sakura cruisers. St Louis may be wonderful but she won't get you experience for Ibuki or Roon building.

you said you're working on ibuki, and that its hard to get xp for her

and I said, "well this is why you should be workin on saint louis instead, its really easy to get xp for her"

and apparently i can't read context?

???

saint louis is a PR ship, dude
i'm bringing up that she's an easier PR ship to work on

?????????

if you think i'm suggesting to completely research a french PR ship to make a sakura PR's grind easier, then... i dunno dude

i mean i wasn't being completely serious, go for whatever PR ship you want, but I'm noting that when it comes to PR ships, Saint Louis is probably the easiest to grind for

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 2, 2019

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

UHD posted:

they bank xp even after hitting their level cap so you dont really waste any at least

yep, its pretty great realizing that you have a ship that can uncap, then suddenly see them shoot up 2 levels when you uncap them

just dont forget to limit break ships, you don't bank xp on ships capped by limit breaks

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
surprise mvp of the event, bulldog, with the pure fire burns on 110

nice to see a mostly unpopular character getting some spotlight

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Twelve by Pies posted:

I rarely read the in-game news but uh what's up with a bunch of ships being permanently removed from the construction pool? I mean I have all of them but turning them into drop only ships is kinda rude for new players.

Limited time ships are only in the build pool during their events. They come back in reruns, or are eventually added into the permanent pool over time. Limited time characters are a staple of gacha games, by the way.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Oh, yeah, taking the common trash out of the build pool is a good thing, not a bad thing. God knows I don't need a 15th glowworm.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You should probably buy the fuel from the event shop because the next event is a high fuel consumption one

when u have 22 messages stored up with oil to burn through

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Largepotato posted:

Just a reminder to EN players that the Iris of Light and Dark event has the 138mm, the best DD gun currently in the game.

You can get one from the event store and farm D2 for more blueprints.

Actually, the russian twin 130mm is better, but its not a large difference, and you can't farm the russian gun anymore (nor do we know when we'll get the chance again), so grabbing more of the french gun now is a good idea.

Also, Avrora server has the GoonColle guild, but there's only like 7-8 active players in it, and I dont know who's in charge either.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Little Abigail posted:

GoonColle has been the Avrora guild since day one.

eyy theres the guy running it, good, so yeah GoonColle is up for avrora goons.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Monolith. posted:

Where did you see this?

2nd anniversary stream

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
the hakuryuu will bomb the boss fleet in future maps you play, even before you have finished building her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
ok, but who's gonna get the "demon lord" skin? You can't do a cliche fantasy hero squad with no demon lord to fight!