Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Wow does PvP get kinda crazy at the higher levels. If you're not facing Hood + Enterprise, it's Akagi + Kaga. Poor Cygnet and Comet are getting mauled.

What are good British gunboats to put in front? I'm currently running Nelson/Queen Elizabeth/Illustrious on the backline with Belfast/Cygnet/Comet up front, and seeing the Autobattle AI wasting torpedos is driving me nuts.

Also, does anyone know what Guilds/Friends do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

What do you call high level? I'm ranked commander at the moment with a 6160 5707 team consisting of Enterprise, Illustrious, Unicorn Shropshire, Javelin, Karao.

I'm Rank 388 Brigadier General running a 7223/6864 team and keep getting paired up against 8000+/7500+ teams.

Ratzap posted:

Your vanguard doesn't need to be super damaging but they need to survive: evasion and AA are important for PvP. For example in a typical match my vanguard takes 80% or so off the oppositions aircraft so we both take heavy damage in the first round but when his birds come back I wipe them out.

The same thing happens, except that most of my Vanguard's DPS is Torpedos (I can usually keep up with Cruiser Vanguards if they a good amount of them hit, but if they don't I get outgunned) and the BBs in my backline (Nelson/QE, Illustrious does fine) can't put out the sheer DPS that Enterprise/Hood or Akagi/Kaga can, so I keep loosing the damage race. It might be because I need better AA though.

Ratzap posted:

Shropshire and Suffolk are good as was previously mentioned.

I do have around 4-5 copies of those 2 that I can look into. Thanks!

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

You're doing pretty well then. The top couple of hundred will have people spending gems on oil/cash to level faster, get the gold boxes from the shops and so on. Unless you plan on whaling too, don't expect to get really high up the rankings this soon after launch.

You need to grind the crap out of 3-4 just like I do. If you can, keep building specials and cross your fingers for Enterprise. As you've noticed, she's a game changer. Especially once leveled, promoted and with good gear - the gap just gets bigger.

Once the gacha gods give me Akaga/Kaga and they're leveled I'll see how replacing Illustrious/Unicorn goes. They're not the best damage carriers but Illustrious heals the vanguard every airstrike and Unicorn makes them invulnerable for a short period every airstrike. It's surprising how much it helps the vanguard survive.

I figured that I might have inadvertently wandered into whale-land lol. I'll just eat the losses, fall down a bit and work on finishing my Fletcher squadron for grinding.

Books On Tape posted:

Also, is Queen Elizabeth worth running without any other HMS ships?

She effectively has no ability without other HMS ships, so I wouldn't suggest it.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

RanKizama posted:

Just got an Arizona and her HP restore looks super useful for my Vanguard. How does she hold up otherwise?

She only gets DD guns as secondary weapons instead of CL ones, so she's a lot worse at shooting down incoming suicide boats.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

Don't blow all your cubes at the start. Just do however many you need a day for quests. Then you can go nuts on the last day if you still don't have one of the specials but you won't have wasted cubes if you get them all early.

Unless you're like me and pull 3 PoWs and no Atagos

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Hey does anyone know what the build rate for Atago is? I blew all of my saved cubes (240) and got 4 PoWs, 6 Vampires, 2 Hoods, 1 Prinz Eugen, 2 Belfasts (plus enough Repulses to MLB her about 4 times) and I'm curious of how bad I got screwed by the RNG.

I think I'll give up on her, buy San Diego from the Medal exchange with my metric fuckton of medals and LB her instead.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

Why do this? Are you unaware that you can farm her from the 3rd SP stage? A lot of events are like this, never blow all your cubes early. Farm every day and if you are still missing on the last day then you use cubes as a last ditch attempt to get it/them.

I'm hitting SP 3 as often as oil allows every day, XP for mid range ships and it got me Ark Royal.

The wiki shows that Atago does not drop from SP3? I thought that I didn't really need to farm SP3 since I got PoW/Vampire during my first few pulls.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

delfin posted:

the concept of higher rarity == more gooder

This (thankfully) doesn't always apply in this game. Sometimes the lower rarity ships can be better than the gold one.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

If by that you mean unreplaceable unit, that would be Enterprise or Belfast.

Belfast gets gear first then it trickles to Suffolk but they both have +6 orange or purple gear. The backline is Enterprise, Illustrious and Unicorn.

I'm going to drop this now, too many people are happy to opine from just looking at stats. You're the only one who actually seems to have built the finished retro and even then we're on different pages.

Shouhou's retro is open now, I think that's next as it'll give me a backup Unicorn for the 2nd fleet.

My full retrofit Suffolk (in middle of my HMS vanguard) does tend to be the first to die 95% of the time. But to be fair, she's sandwiched between Belfast and Edinburgh, which seem to be among the tankier CLs. She really wants the 35 evasion/5 Speed from a +10 Beaver Badge because 21 EVA, average AA and CA speed is a bad combination vs Akaga's endless waves of aircraft. With the Badge and QE she gets 59/64 evasion (not sure if QE's boost applies before or after the Badge) and 30 Speed (2 less than Belfast) which lets her dodge enough bombs/torps to shoot poo poo.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

GoldenPrice posted:

Is Illustrious worth buying with the medal of honors? This is the first time i have gotten 80+ of them.

Definitely. While she isn't as explosive damage-wise as other carriers, she's great at blunting enemy air strikes with her 2 fighter slots and her shield.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Finagle posted:

So for pve what is better for the backline?

QE/Hood/Ark Royal or Unicorn
Or
QE/Hood/Warspite

It feels like the carrier one is better (for pve) but most of the guides seem to be focused on pvp.

Unicorn is great in PvE. Warspite's ability doesn't do much in PvE.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Mason Dixon posted:

Are the cranes close enough if you've got them but haven't gotten either of the foxes to drop yet? Or are they far enough behind that then some other non-pair fleet is just as good?

The Cranes are probably as good as Akaga for PvE (the faster airstrikes don't really matter in PvE), but Akaga are much better in PvP.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Dezinus posted:

It's a bummer, for whatever reason I thought the shop would stay since it says inside there the 26th. Almost had enough for another Zui for LB. But makes sense it would go with the special build. Oh well, time to whale for Wales.

IIRC the shop will stay for an extra week to give you extra time to exchange your Ema, but the missions themselves will be gone after today.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Now that I just pulled Takao from Limited Construction, I think I have managed to pull every single non-Atago SSR in the Force Z Limited Pool (Warspite, Takao, 2x Belfast, 2x Prinz Eugen, 2x Hood, San Diego, 5x Prince of Wales). Yay?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

Yay for sure, some of those are really great ships. Atago is very average for an SSR but I know you want to complete the collection.

Interestingly I got all the rewards for clearing stages in the Z event again. I don't know if they intended this to happen but it's a very pleasant bonus for those who cleared it in the first part. Now both Hood and Warspite have that nice quad cannon.

Yeah, I can't complain too much since I'll have use for all of them (except Takao), but it still stings to not get what you want after 300 cubes. At least this way I know which SSR I'll pick during the 1 year anniversary event (assuming we get the same choices as JP).

Speaking of events, they just confirmed that Fallen Wings is starting on October 26th. Looking at the wiki, the final hard map is level 95, so you all have about 1 week to put together 2 high-level teams if you want the fancy medal.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
lmao this San Diego stage is amazing

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Had 100 cubes and rolled like ~50. Only one Washington :negative:

Hey, that isn't too bad; Washington is by far the most important ship to get in this event. It could have been way worse (I used 60 cubes and my only SSR was my 9th Prinz eugen).

I'm looking forward to getting all the non-focus SSRs again.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
So I have sunk around 140 cubes and managed to not get either Washington or Minneapolis. Excel tells me that this has around a 5.7% chance of happening, meaning that I have managed to beat my previous run of failing to get Atago after 300 cubes odd-wise (7.1% chance of happening).

Looking forward to somehow managing to beat that in the next event.

Edit: I just realized that I still haven't pulled Maryland either lmao

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

moush posted:

What should I be focusing on for the event? Just grinding levels to hopefully get a good drop?

Also, what should I use my PTS on?

I'd just focus on getting 14000 PTS for Tirpitz and the Quintuple Homing torpedoes first, then maybe grab the furniture. The gold gear can be found in T4 Ironblood boxes so they can wait.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Estraysian posted:

I wouldn't recommend new players spend a lot of time in the fox mines (3-4). It can take a very long time until you drop them and even if you do they're honestly not that great.

I'd disagree with not spending time in 3-4. 3-4's real prize are not the fox carriers, it's the Repair Toolkit and F4U Corsair. The Toolkit is a rare source of self-heal that won't be farmable before 10-3 (or some event maps). The Corsair is probably the best Fighter you can farm for (the gold Fighters are all gated behind Events, Boxes or Research) and won't appear again before world 11.

Grab enough blueprints for 6-8 Toolboxes (60-80 blueprints total) and 2-3 Corsairs (20-30 total), then move on.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Izumo is also pretty easy to grind if you have Amagi/Nagato/Hyuuga. If you don't have the event boats, 95% retrofit Fusou/Yamashiro are perfectly serviceable BBs.

I just finished grinding for Roon with Leipzig + Koln (she's actually not a bad ship to invest in since ships that can do ASW without specialized gear are still kinda rare), with guest appearances from Prinz Eugen. Now I'm working on Saint Louis and my god are USS cruisers so, so much better than the KMS ones.

Other options for Ibuki are retrofitted Furutaka/Kako/Abukuma as discount Takaos/Jintsuus.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

I crafted my first SR, an Atago. 😐

I got a Pennsylvania too, so I guess that's ok from the post above.

Is Hood pretty much the best ship from the Heavy construction?

Off the top of my head, the best out-of-the-box ships you can get out of Heavy as a new player are Nelson/Rodney, Cleveland and maybe PoW. There are other good ships in Heavy (e.g. Portland, Queen Elizabeth, Helena, Phoenix), but they require a bit more investment to shine.

Hood's good at nuking bosses but Carriers tend to be pretty good at that anyways. She also has the same problem as Penn in that she's stuck with DD secondaries, meaning that she can get overwhelmed by suicide boats.

Atago's pretty good early on if you can get her an HE gun!

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Just got Monarch to PR30 to discover that I'm still not done shoving BPs down her throat lol

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

Not just that but they're supposed to be super uber ships right? I have Neptune to L102, PR24 and she's still got markedly worse stats than L118 Belfast. When are they supposed to get better?

My Monarch has more or less the same stats as my King George V (less AA/Luck for a bit more Reload), but with 10% more efficiency on all of her weapons. Plus her barrage is dope and she can use a non-poo poo gun.

Neptune is basically what happens when you smash Belfast and Edinburgh together (35% more AP gun damage with solid HP and Torp stat), but with Phoenix's self-heal instead of Belfast's super smoke. It's a real shame that she got pre-loaded torps instead of MGM +1 though..

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I looked around and the Hood is good, just not as good as Prince of Wales, and the Atago is about the same as the Takao.

Hood and PoW are good at different things. PoW is a good self-sufficient (at least until the later chapters) battleship that can protect herself against suicide boats, making her good for mob fleets (Nelson/Rodney are better though). Hood is good at nuking the left 1/3rd of the screen with her barrage, which makes her great at fighting bosses.

Atago is slightly worse than Takao due to the CA guns with HE ammo being on average less good than the ones using AP, but the difference is only noticeable later on (like, Chapters 9 and beyond).

If you really want to roll right now I'd roll Special to try to nab Centaur before her rate-up ends and she gets drowned in the general SSR pool.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Kyte posted:

After Essex comes Taihou btw.

Is this our 4th back-to-back limited construction event in a row?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

vulturesrow posted:

When does it make sense to start tryharding the research lab stuff?

It's not worth going all-in on research since none of the PR gear or ships are must-haves (they are nice though). It's mostly a way for the long-time players to use up their excess Gold/Weapon BP stockpiles.

twistedmentat posted:

Hornet worth putting work into? She dropped in an event battle. And still just trash in the shipyards.

She can do all of the usual carrier stuff, but Yorktown and Ark Royal can do every she does and more.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Is Baltimore any good?

Man, subs suck to fight, I only have 2 depth charges and they do barely any damage even enhanced.

Baltimore is pretty good, yeah. Solid USS CA (so none of that Torpedo nonsense) that buffs USS CVs.

2-3 ships with +6 Blue depth charges are usually enough to beat most sub bosses (on manual), assuming that you aren't too underlevelled. The biggest pain is revealing the subs first.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Is Avrora good? I'm. Lacking decent light light ships.

Her skill is good (+35% Firepower is a lot) but her stats are bad.

Extra points for being the only Soviet ship in the game, too.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

The new ships are all SSRs, I have a bad feeling this build event is going to be expensive and frustrating. I got Zara and Formidible using all the cubes I had saved. Chasing the 2% (or whatever they raised it to) for the other two is going to suck.

The only other build-only ship is Giulio Cesare at 2.5% though? Littorio/Conti de Cavour/Carabinieri can be obtained with enough Sardinian Stars or wtv they are called and Trento by beating all the maps, so you're nearly out of the woods.

I got Hood and Takao again lol

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I got her off B2. Apparently she drops from all the B chapters.

And their Hard mode equivalents (D maps) too!

I've already gotten something like 7 Contis from grinding D3.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

Repeating C3 over and over today to get Albacore parts for Formidable. So long as she has one equipped she gets all sorts of bonuses so it's going to have to be a purple one (I don't think there's a gold one). 9/10 right now, it's teasing me for the last one.

You can get an Albacore for 1000 stars in the exchange shop (which is like 8 runs of C3).

That said, C3 is a pretty good map to grind in general if you aren't aiming for the Italian CA gun.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

Z46 has a weird skill where she buffs her FP by 15% of her AA stat if she shoots down an enemy plane. Her FP isn't very high to start with and she has the AP ammo boost skill. Honestly I'd probably say she isn't very good since she has the same problem of being a DD that wants to equip AP ammo when DDs aren't designed for that, and her skill doesn't make up for it.

Z46 is actually pretty good damage-wise since her barrage shits out a giant cone of AP rounds (think Ayanami's barrage, but larger), and said barrage's damage gets boosted by both of her skills. So load her up with a fast-firing like the gold twin 100mm or blue 76mm and have her spam barrages non-stop.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
To be fair, the last 165 BPs aren't that important; they only give +15 LCK and a small boost to one the shipgirl's abilities. IIRC only Roon and Izumo perform visibly better at FT30 than FT0.

(Poor Izumo is still kinda bad)

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

(...) I was wondering what other Royal DDs are worth it.

They're not; Royal Navy DDs and CAs are kinda bad compared to their IJN/USN counterparts. Javelin's probably their best DD, and she's already not that good. Royal CAs aren't un-salvageable but tend to be glass cannons.

Their strength lies in their CLs. Edinburgh/Belfast/Leander + Queen Elizabeth have been solid for me all the way to Chapter 11 (I haven't tried Chapter 12 yet). Sirius is also great if you can get your hands on her, and Neptune is pretty much the apex Royal CL. Aurora, Sheffield, Little Bel, Ajax/Achilles and Curacao/Curlew all have their uses too.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Ratzap posted:

That goes in the aux gun slot though and the skill is main gun based.

It's less because of her skill and more because she keeps her 160% weapon efficiency score when using DD guns.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Bell_ posted:

Maybe that will inspire enough luck for Honolulu to drop from 10-1 today.

I hope you made a typo there, Honolulu drops from 10-2

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

UHD posted:

I did the exact same thing so you’re not alone

way I see it by the time I get to the rainbow ships I’ll have enough blueprints to make them actually useful

I'm doing the Rainbow ships now because I don't want to to have to fork over 60k coins during an event (or worse, having that red exclamation mark)

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Dehry posted:

I guess with the idol forms being their own boat I can finally have a full front line of Clevelands

And also a full Akagi backline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016
Apparently the next event is Soviet-focused?