Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
I've listened to the first 15 episodes at this point. Does the audio ever get any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Horror_Business posted:

I've listened to the first 15 episodes at this point. Does the audio ever get any better?

Not a lot, but yes it definitely improves at some point. I found my good quality microphone and Stu got better at audio engineering.

Election day episode coming soon! WHO WILL WIN?

(Santos does)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Horror_Business posted:

My audio is always bad because I have a voice for photographs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think you both sound radio good

But one of you sounds just like the guy from I don't even own a television, the bad books pod

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

I think you both sound radio good

But one of you sounds just like the guy from I don't even own a television, the bad books pod

Friedman (former goon / Satellite High) is actually a vocal artist so he's definitely got a leg up on us

I'm trying to figure out Collision's accent in my head but I can't quite clock it!

then again I'm very Homer Simpson about hearing my voice on a recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae5r6z8RCZM&t=14s

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I don't mind either of your voices. There's just some weird noises sometimes. I mean, it sounds like a zoom call at this point, but that's not off-putting enough to stop listening, I was just curious.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Horror_Business posted:

I don't mind either of your voices. There's just some weird noises sometimes. I mean, it sounds like a zoom call at this point, but that's not off-putting enough to stop listening, I was just curious.

I didn't mean to come off as flippant, sorry. I've hopefully put the kibosh on a lot of the weird noises (which, with microphones picking up every goddamn lil fidget, can be pretty gross and offputting!) as I've gotten used to controlling Audacity and my recording environment. No guarantees about Wampa's bong rips. Those should be considered integral to our process.

anyway It's here! Nudie MagazElection Day!! Wowie zowie!!

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

You're good, I didn't take it as flippant. Just didn't want to come across as an rear end.

Never watched the show, and so far the only thing that sounds like I'd actually want to track down is Edward James Olmos' bits.

I'm definitely enjoying the deconstruction of a very lib show by folks who enjoyed it at the time and have evolved since then.

Much like police procedurals, it's always disconcerting how many people think shows like this reflect reality.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Other near-examples of people dying that don't quite exactly fit the bill:

- Garret Hobart died on November 1899. The 1900 GOP Convention was seven months later, but considering his health has been declining for some time, it's unlikely they would have nominated him again anyway. The most remarkable thing about him is perhaps he's the last Vice President who was extremely forgettable even by the standards of other vice presidents who never got the top job.
- John Ashcroft famously losing a senate election to a dead guy.
- The 1985 Brazilian presidential election had the popular winner die a day before taking office, but this involves a curious place called "the rest of the world" so who cares.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jul 4, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hell we had a dead man win his election in South Carolina, like, when I lived there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"…[Obama's] new Office of Management and Budget director brought his girlfriend to see his grand new office with its grand fireplace, and built this huge fire for her, only to discover that the flue had been welded shut. The building filled with smoke."

sorry to destroy your thesis but apparently not everyone in the obama admin had swallowed the west wing dvd box sets, or they'd remember the humourous opening of that one episode where josh and sam start a fire in a fireplace whose flue is welded shut!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thank you for posting, pokeyman, this allows for me to passive aggressively hint:

I am ready to record our fourth to last episode, but SOMEONE hasn't added any notes to the document yet!! Maybe TOMORROW OR WEDNESDAY

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
fuykkin FINALLY

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s7e13-requiem-for-a-transition

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

you weren't so bowled over by the scenery-chewing force-of-nature performance from renee estevez that you were seized by an immediate need to discover who is this standout among a rogue's nest of a-list character actors and promptly do a spit take upon realizing it was martin sheen's daughter?

to be fair, imagine that your nepotism job is to fetch drinks for your incredibly famous dad and repeatedly call him "sir" on national television

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I was mostly in the bag instead of partly this time around hence the higher frequency of hooting and hollering on my end

I was earnestly trying to keep it together thinking about 8 Year Old Gary Cole he's just such a unique lookin dude

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wow we kept a regular schedule for... 2 times haha

It is indeed the PENULTIMATE episode

We are almost there! Apologies for the various crosstalking here I was in a weird mood and our bants were not really dialed in!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
cuz time is a valuable thing
watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
watch it count down to the end of the day
the clock ticks life away it's so unreal

We didn't really try very hard.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

congrats! that must feel good (or at least a relief?) to make it all they way through. thank you for many laughs and for making me think.

you're madmen for considering sticking with sorkin but my schadenfreude thanks you in advance.

I forget if you mentioned it somewhere and don't answer if it's a weird question, but did you two know each other at all outside of the forums before starting this podcast? I'm always happily surprised when a years-long hobby project goes well, a goon project doubly so

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

congrats! that must feel good (or at least a relief?) to make it all they way through. thank you for many laughs and for making me think.

you're madmen for considering sticking with sorkin but my schadenfreude thanks you in advance.

I forget if you mentioned it somewhere and don't answer if it's a weird question, but did you two know each other at all outside of the forums before starting this podcast? I'm always happily surprised when a years-long hobby project goes well, a goon project doubly so

thanks, and also thanks for all of your supportive and engaging posts in the thread!

nope, we had no relationship at all before starting this misadventure and now we are buddies! the internet truly can bring people together.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Congratulations.

Can't say my life was better since you guys started, but that's America's fault.

Looking forward to what's next. Feel free to throw in some actual good, non-cursed stuff so you don't have to suffer so much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:patriot:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

It usually works out for the better when the stakes are nice and low :)

the stakes here were a monthly soundcloud subscription that costs less than Netflix.

actually perfect timing because boy is my life just about to explode (in a not bad way)

I'm just spitballing but if we do more analysis stuff I think I'm gonna have to script things a little better. My process for years has been "45 minutes of riffing and then 3 hours of remembering better points I should have made"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Congrats on surviving.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Another successful goon project. :toot:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Thank you for suffering through this again so that we didn't have to. Sorkin has this rep for being a smart guy and everything he's done is just the most lib brained trash. At least West Wing had some really good actors, so they were able to carry it. His other stuff really suffers in that regard, especially The Newsroom; which marries truly terrible dialog and politics with mostly mediocre to bad performances.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I can't believe I wasted five years of my life listening to this podcast. Thanks to you all for sticking through it. I enjoyed the ride.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wow.
Five loving years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's time to do the Poos.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

It's time to do the Poos.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Poodio Sixpee on the Cumset Strip

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Whores Knight

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
been a while since I listened but congrats on completing your quest line

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

Thank you for suffering through this again so that we didn't have to. Sorkin has this rep for being a smart guy and everything he's done is just the most lib brained trash. At least West Wing had some really good actors, so they were able to carry it. His other stuff really suffers in that regard, especially The Newsroom; which marries truly terrible dialog and politics with mostly mediocre to bad performances.

the actors help a lot, the show really did have excellent casting, and much like I said in our second part of this episode, Sorkin's hyper-dramatic style works really well when the setting is "the highest halls of power, with actual lives on the line" and not so much when that setting is "behind the scenes at SNL" or "behind the scenes at SportsCenter" or "behind the scenes at Network News Show"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
now that we know that Steve Jobs was on the spectrum and liked to soak his feet in toilets, refused to shower, college incel, etc I kinda want to watch the Sorkin/Boyle Jobs movie to see how they recast him as whatever character is in the movie. I think a movie about Jobs's future widow putting up with his his poo poo while she tries to become an elite publishing mogul would be more interesting

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought the Fassbender Jobs movie was good if you watch it only knowing that it's about a fictional and vaguely controversial tech boss and auteur named "Steve Jobs", and not about anyone real.

It's well shot, acted, staged, and edited. It doesn't have the same highs as The Social Network, but it's solid as a piece of entertainment.

If you're able to accept lib narratives about the real Steve, it only goes off the rails and into full cringey worship in the last 10 minutes or so.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought the Fassbender Jobs movie was good if you watch it only knowing that it's about a fictional and vaguely controversial tech boss and auteur named "Steve Jobs", and not about anyone real.

This is how I feel about The Social Network. It's a really great drama that happens to contain terms like "Facebook" or "Mark Zuckerberg" but has little to do with the actual story in reality.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah Fincher and Ross/Reznor are a match made in heaven honestly.

Literally Leone / Morricone level

Even though Mank sucked. Whatever.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Sep 2, 2023

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 105 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i have this picture saved on my desktop as "pants.jpg" and it never ceases to make me chuckle

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

WampaLord posted:

the actors help a lot, the show really did have excellent casting, and much like I said in our second part of this episode, Sorkin's hyper-dramatic style works really well when the setting is "the highest halls of power, with actual lives on the line" and not so much when that setting is "behind the scenes at SNL" or "behind the scenes at SportsCenter" or "behind the scenes at Network News Show"

I wonder if you could even do a show with that sort of theme after the Trump years. The myth of the best and brightest workaholics keeping the ship of state on course has got to be shattered at this point? It's the same no nothing dipshits and war criminals as before/usual; Elliot Abrahams, Victoria Nuland, Larry Summers, and on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

redoing veep or the thick of it with a bunch of stephen miller types