Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There was the episode where Terry Crews get harassed by another cop for being black, and then when the racist apologizes he says he's sorry he didn't know he was a cop.

Or the arc with the super corrupt cops.

It's good copaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1276304058794545160

I saw this tweet and all I could think about was "Oh my god they're going to do an Isaac and Ishmael for Black Lives Matter"
Don't let the initial scope of this podcast stop you from reviewing Woke Copaganda on your show if it ends up being the beautiful trainwreck we're all hoping for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
bit o' Sorkinverse trivia: Tyler, the teen that they meet with the cool-rear end jeep and has drama with his girlfriend is played by John Gallagher Jr., who later in life is going to become a main cast member in Sorkin's The Newsroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_H8dnLzik

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
eyyy so im post her ein spite of the exodus

God this episode sucked compared to the first two of the season, it's like karmic whiplash or something, both of us struggled to keep our eyes open / remember what happened.

WHO CARES

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started reading Listen Liberal by Thomas Frank and it's the perfect companion piece to the West Thing. Really shows the pathology of modern liberals.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
As someone who lived in Indiana for a couple years during the time of the 20 Hours in America episode, the time zone thing resonated like no other. When I was in Indiana, I had no idea what time it was anywhere else. Were we on Chicago time now, or Louisville time? and when I was out of state, likewise I had no idea what time it was back in Indiana. But because of that experience, I definitely didn’t see Toby and Josh acting childish about missing a flight due to time zone error, as you all told it, but rather anyone’s rational, adult response of having contact with the Indiana time zone. Sometime in the late 2000s, I think, Indiana adopted daylight saving time and avoided that nonsense.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I have another episode in the offing I have just been insanely busy since Friday when we recorded.

Agreed I lived in Illinois and Michigan growing up and going through Indiana anywhere was... Weird

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
As promised:

well we recorded this but it's like a really boring episode so we didn't exactly have a lot to say?

You should listen but definitely DON'T watch this particular episode of the West Wing. it's bad.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
A semi-regular posting schedule wheeee

Another episode I can suggest NOT watching and only listening to because christ is this stuff so eyerollingly insignificant.

Ohh, good super slam in the debate, loser. Wowie Gropey Joe sure did wreck Paul Ryan in Verbal Kombat, now watch as we lose thousands of seats across the country because we don't actually have anything beyond Words to give people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They heave learned nothing.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I think you're overthinking the pregnancy thing. Andy was keeping Toby as a side thing before debate camp, got pregnant, decided to keep the babies. Toby was like: "cool, we should get married now." And Andy was like, nah, we tried this, we dont actually work in a relationship and you'd be a terrible father. So there was a sex thing post divorce, pre debate camp, it's just the whole marriage thing that came to a head at debate camp.

Basically she friends with benefits zoned him.

It's all a bit clearer once they actually explain it in some later episode.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Chinese sweatshops won't exist if you

just don't look!

just don't look!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

check this out:

the cast is good

the show is evil

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Finally a West Wing callback that doesn't make me want to puke

https://twitter.com/EdMarkey/status...ingawful.com%2F

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Catching up on episodes:

* Senator Stackhouse was the one that filibustered a healthcare bill because he wanted more funding for autism research (because one of his grandchildren is autistic), but the Bernie analogue is supposed to be Seth Gillette (who is played by Ed Begley Jr.)

* did you know that Rock the Vote is still a thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijpU5yD55I

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thank you for the excellent ancillary material! lmao libs get owned, marlee matlin breakin' ranks is a breath of fresh air

Anyway it's time for The Absolute Unit to visit the White House on election day for reasons that I'm sure will result in a favor... what now? oh I'm sorry I'm hearing "nothing good actually happens" to the actually politically-significant subplot today.

wheeee

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know you said you didn't really want to get into the details of Aaron Sorkin's sexual pathology, but:

Also, if you ever watched Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (I didn't), one of the characters there, Harriet Hayes, was allegedly based on Kristin Chenoweth, another of Sorkin's exes

And then, in The Newsroom, one of the recurring guests, a character named Nina Howard, was allegedly based on a writer for the New York Post, who Sorkin also dated yet again

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Aug 18, 2020

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah we've talked about studio 60 and how it's a feature series meltdown about chenoweth

we might devote one episode to it lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
just caught up to Debate Camp:

* Bartlett deciding to "seize" the ship without shooting at anyone is still piracy on the high seas! Like, Trump did that to oil shipments going to Venezuela from Iran.

* I do wonder how much The West Wing influenced people into thinking that debates mattered.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
saying “god bless you all and god bless America” is just the presidential way of saying “san dimas high school football rules!”

also the only song I’ve ever recognized from the musical break.

good show, especially how both the Charlie and voting subplots are treated as wow that’s quirky and not a condemnation of the system that overpolices black youth for petty crimes and systematically disenfranchises the population. points that are of course still relevant today. thanks for entertainment in this hell world.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

just caught up to Debate Camp:

* Bartlett deciding to "seize" the ship without shooting at anyone is still piracy on the high seas! Like, Trump did that to oil shipments going to Venezuela from Iran.

* I do wonder how much The West Wing influenced people into thinking that debates mattered.

Probably a lot of brokebrained beliefs liberals have come from watching TWW and treating it as a blueprint for how Politics Should Be.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to the west wing, politics is an exercise of rationality tempered by the need to get reelected so of course debates are important. as are backroom deals and informal relationships - the whole show is a huge ode to liberal oligarchy, where the actual people are seen mostly as rubes or impediments to a more perfect union. it's totally pernicious.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zerilan posted:

Probably a lot of brokebrained beliefs liberals have come from watching TWW and treating it as a blueprint for how Politics Should Be.

I mean, this is the premise of the show and why we usually take pains to go after a modern or more immediately relatable example of why X thing is bad.

Tewdrig posted:

saying “god bless you all and god bless America” is just the presidential way of saying “san dimas high school football rules!”

also the only song I’ve ever recognized from the musical break.

Aww hell yeah :hfive:. Also this is the kind of referenception that I love, layers on layers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up to Election Night and oh my god I love you guys :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I want them to retcon John Spencer dying but just have Andy Serkis play an entirely CGI'd Leo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oh for christ's sake

this is adding extra months onto this project! :argh:

fake edit - apparently it's just gonna be a one-off special and not a whole new show. phew.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Gonna have jack gleason play trump in a crossover with the new docudrama and have an entire episode framed around popular west wing cast members making GBS threads on bartlett's/jimmy smitts' successor

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheChirurgeon posted:

Gonna have jack gleason play trump in a crossover with the new docudrama and have an entire episode framed around popular west wing cast members making GBS threads on bartlett's/jimmy smitts' successor

lol

anyway this week's episode was a very Dudes Rock type of vibe

In which horny is ALLOWED and of course nothing actually happens

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i'm gonna get put on another list for Iran boosterism

I guess add it to the list of lists, as if the government needs more reasons to come after me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

God I hate liberals. Thomas Frank radizalized. And I was already a communist!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the show has become the inverse of what it used to be.

it used to be an escapist fantasy of a competent amd well-meaning presidency. now it is an escapist fantasy of a fictional and therefore harmless presidency. we can work out our frustrations with the neoliberal consensus with being burdened by thoughts of actual immoderation. the bartlett admin has made a heel turn purely by context changing around them.

when i think about a president biden, i am depressed. when i think about president bartlett, i chortle darkly.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

the show has become the inverse of what it used to be.

it used to be an escapist fantasy of a competent amd well-meaning presidency. now it is an escapist fantasy of a fictional and therefore harmless presidency. we can work out our frustrations with the neoliberal consensus with being burdened by thoughts of actual immoderation. the bartlett admin has made a heel turn purely by context changing around them.

when i think about a president biden, i am depressed. when i think about president bartlett, i chortle darkly.

This is the curse of the True Centrist

By trying to appeal to all sides, you only end up despised by everyone. Marching head high down the middle road just allows you to be flanked on both your right and your left

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1304829329571020801?s=19

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao

get wrekt Aaron

more like Errin' Suckin'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This is gonna be so bad.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is there a recommended jumping on point for this podcast? i've not seen the west wing but know the conceit of the show and i'm as 'pilled' as your average c-spammer. i'm mainly listening to see if it's suitable to wean some of my friends off decorum liberalism

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't stop thinking about the free trade episode, where they're mocking European farmers for not wanting to be forced out of their careers and every good thing free trade is supposed to accomplish is shown to be bullshit, but they just keep repeating "free trade creates jobs" and proceed with the treaty. It's like if you were going to make a parody episode of the show that points out the show's terrible politics on purpose.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

crepeface posted:

is there a recommended jumping on point for this podcast? i've not seen the west wing but know the conceit of the show and i'm as 'pilled' as your average c-spammer. i'm mainly listening to see if it's suitable to wean some of my friends off decorum liberalism

check in around the middle of season one, I'd say start at In Excelsis Deo. that one we really go off in about Toby's Big Poor Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the actual answer is every episode is gold, pure gold, jerry!