Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the one type of american christian who is statistically more likely to support trump is: the white christian. doesn't matter if it's evangelical, catholic, or mainline, it breaks across all these major groups the same way, where if the christian is white they are far more likely to support trump

and i have to say i am disappointed that someone in this thread is saying they are glad that they don't belong to religion X because, as my congresswoman said, "some people did something"

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can understand the sentiment, and once it has arisen the question is where do you go from there? Ideally, of course, it is either developed towards a righteous thought or simply allowed to dissipate without attachment.

But it was a rather scary thing, unique in America's history so far.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Something that shocked me and broke my heart today: Our church did a George Floyd march back in the early part of next year and some people from other churches joined us. My pastor was talking to a pastor from one of the other churches and he was like 'Yeah, about 10 families left our church because we participated'

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Speaking of which, I want to express something here that could be seen as highly offensive. At the same time, I wonder how Christians with legitimate grievance are dealing with the past week. As a preface, I don't want to offend despite the statement likely being deemed offensive. With that being said, I want to say that the past week makes me proud I'm not Christian, which is big talk coming from a Muslim. The American brand of Christianity makes me proud I don't even associate with it this past week. If I'm feeling that way, I can only imagine how Christians with good hearts are feeling with their religion being used as a pawn for such seditious buffoonery. To the Christians here, I want you to know you have my support.

It’s similar to how Islam is painted with the broad brush because of the actions of extremists. We don’t judge Islam based on Boko Haram, nor should we judge Christianity based on Q.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Something that shocked me and broke my heart today: Our church did a George Floyd march back in the early part of next year and some people from other churches joined us. My pastor was talking to a pastor from one of the other churches and he was like 'Yeah, about 10 families left our church because we participated'

Honestly, this is essential practice for historically white churches who desire to separate from Christian nationalism. Can't just talk about it, they have to act and participate. Otherwise members can still self-validate their nationalism.

I'm watching a former institution I was a part of twist itself into knots trying to condemn the Capitol riots without stepping on white conservative toes. I thought there might be some sense, but an admin with a Phd. in late 30s Germany wrote a big statement about "both sides."

I'm honestly shocked they're so milquetoast, but I shouldn't be. Once I'm back home after this work assignment, if my current church doesn't start acting I'm finding somewhere that will.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TOOT BOOT posted:

Thank you and your church for participating in this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TOOT BOOT posted:

[ASK] me about my very old Swedish-American church granny who lobbied others to "stay and fight" for LGBT tolerance when her church was going through its troubles over the issue.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Thank you and your church for participating in this.

I'm very happy my church exists, because this is an extremely boring and mostly conservative place otherwise.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Be proud that your church is on the right side of history. Those who left should never have been with your church in the first place.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Be proud that your church is on the right side of history. Those who left should never have been with your church in the first place.

It was the other pastor that said families left, not ours. If our church had 10 families leave there would hardly be anyone left lol

White Coke
May 29, 2015
First post in this thread. I've been reading through the backlog, but I need to engage. One of my cats is going to be put down on Friday. She's 17 and I got her when I was still in elementary school. This by itself is tough but also my dad has been dealing with cancer. He had a tumor removed from a kidney, and later had to have an adrenal gland removed. Now there's something growing on his other one. Please pray for him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Of course! Sorry you're having such a poo poo time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm just kinda left wondering if a full-on insurrection is enough for parts of my family to think it's maybe not a good idea to back the political right solely because of their stance on a single issue.

Probably not. :smith:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Of course! Sorry you're having such a poo poo time.

Thank you. I've also been struggling more broadly with my faith, but that's been going on for years. The short version is that sometimes I feel like my belief is disingenuous, that I only believe because it comforts my desire for an orderly universe and life after death. But I also find that the teachings of Jesus Christ have brought comfort to me, that being a more forgiving and loving person is the right thing to do, so I continue to try to believe. I'm torn between constructing an entirely rational justification for belief in God, and seeking a mystical, experiential path to God. I was raised Episcopalian, and in my early 20s I was an atheist, but in recent years I've come back to Christianity although I still feel kind of uncomfortable about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

White Coke posted:

Thank you. I've also been struggling more broadly with my faith, but that's been going on for years. The short version is that sometimes I feel like my belief is disingenuous, that I only believe because it comforts my desire for an orderly universe and life after death. But I also find that the teachings of Jesus Christ have brought comfort to me, that being a more forgiving and loving person is the right thing to do, so I continue to try to believe. I'm torn between constructing an entirely rational justification for belief in God, and seeking a mystical, experiential path to God. I was raised Episcopalian, and in my early 20s I was an atheist, but in recent years I've come back to Christianity although I still feel kind of uncomfortable about it.

You sound like a fairly normal Christian.

Welcome to the thread, and I'm sorry for the pain you're going through. May God's love comfort you and bring you peace.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

You sound like a fairly normal Christian.

Welcome to the thread, and I'm sorry for the pain you're going through. May God's love comfort you and bring you peace.

That's why I stopped reading through the backlog, I didn't want to keep cooking in my own juices and from what I was reading many other people struggled with similar doubts.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Doubt is a part of faith. If you are ultimately concern with something doubt is part of being concerned about it.

It’s normal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

They call it "practice" for a reason. I think such doubts are normal, especially nowadays. This is a very comfortable space if you wish to speak about your doubts, and why despite them you would call yourself religious; or at least, 'with a faith,' if perhaps not yet 'a faith-ist.'

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Nessus posted:

They call it "practice" for a reason.

That's what I said, too, but the board still revoked my medical license.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

White Coke posted:

First post in this thread. I've been reading through the backlog, but I need to engage. One of my cats is going to be put down on Friday. She's 17 and I got her when I was still in elementary school. This by itself is tough but also my dad has been dealing with cancer. He had a tumor removed from a kidney, and later had to have an adrenal gland removed. Now there's something growing on his other one. Please pray for him.

Welcome. Putting down pets is always horrible. May light surround you and comfort you through the dark times. I will pray for your dad.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Welcome White Coke. Remember that Christianity is all about comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Old cats are the best. I’m sorry you’re going through this now of all times.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the one type of american christian who is statistically more likely to support trump is: the white christian. doesn't matter if it's evangelical, catholic, or mainline, it breaks across all these major groups the same way, where if the christian is white they are far more likely to support trump

and i have to say i am disappointed that someone in this thread is saying they are glad that they don't belong to religion X because, as my congresswoman said, "some people did something"

I held my nose and voted for him simply because of his position on the topic that shall not be named.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

White Coke posted:

That's why I stopped reading through the backlog, I didn't want to keep cooking in my own juices and from what I was reading many other people struggled with similar doubts.

FYI, and this is directed to anyone, don't feel like you NEED to read the backlog to contribute. I mean, probably skim the last couple pages to figure out where the conversation is right now, but going back to page 5 or whatever isn't necessary.

Speaking of which, do you all have feelings on when you want this thread rebooted? A lot of the bigger threads like this get it periodically to encourage new posters to come on in and not feel like they're stepping into the middle of a multi-hundred-page discussion. I think the milhist thread does it at 500 pages. Some threads do it annually. TFR's chat thread does it once a month, every month. A lot of TFR's other megathreads just get turned over when I remember to do it.

Personally I like that sort of thing to happen on a regular schedule so people know what's what and I don't like to feel like I need to find a natural ending place.

Thoughts? I always make sure to link the OP of the new thread at the end of the last thread and link the last post in the previous thread in the OP of the new thread to create a sense of continuity.

Right now we're coming up on two and a half years of this iteration of the thread (August 2018 is the OP) and have 324 pages. Do the math and it feels like we average about ~150-ish pages per year. I'm thinking this might be a good candidate for annual reboots, maybe on Jan 1, maybe mid-Jan to mark the end of most faiths' end-of-year holiday traditions.

Another benefit is it's a fun thing to let different people take a whack at refreshing the OP.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'd love a reboot so lurkers and potential contributors don't feel overwhelmed.

Our thread runs in fits and starts. A few days of posting, then it quiets down, so we aren't going to hit a page count very quickly.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm all for a yearly reboot for various reasons but I'm also too lazy to write the OP so I hope to benefit from someone else's hard work

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Did we schism the old thread at Nicea last time? 325 is appropriate.

OG OP is off in Discord land last I checked, so we may want to alert them.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
An annual reboot is good. I’d say wait a few days so people can cap any ongoing conversations though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nessus posted:

They call it "practice" for a reason. I think such doubts are normal, especially nowadays. This is a very comfortable space if you wish to speak about your doubts, and why despite them you would call yourself religious; or at least, 'with a faith,' if perhaps not yet 'a faith-ist.'

My doubts seem to stem from questioning whether I'm motivated by existential dread or a genuine desire to seek the truth. I identify as religious though because when I identified as an atheist I had similar doubts but going in the other direction, so I don't know whether I'm feeling doubt or just depression.

Worthleast posted:

Welcome White Coke. Remember that Christianity is all about comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Old cats are the best. I’m sorry you’re going through this now of all times.

To put in perspective how old Jelly Bean is, my nickname for her is Bean Spawn, after the Brain Spawn from Futurama which was still being aired on Fox when we got her.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If anyone wants to take a swing at an OP I'm game.

gently caress, if any of you want to just MAKE an OP that's cool too. If we get two of them we can combine them into one big, beautiful OP.

Or schism into warring factions, or adopt most of both while deciding a few paragraphs from one are apocryphal. Lots of options.

Galaxy brain option: we make a rule that the new thread must be commentaries on this thread. Each post is quoted in order with a poster's thoughts on them and then whatever random BS they want to talk about. Then we do it again through a few dozen iterations of new threads.

edit: that last bit is a joke, I don't think I should need to say that but, well . . .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

My doubts seem to stem from questioning whether I'm motivated by existential dread or a genuine desire to seek the truth. I identify as religious though because when I identified as an atheist I had similar doubts but going in the other direction, so I don't know whether I'm feeling doubt or just depression.
I do not come from the Christian tradition (other than general culturalization) so I cannot say for sure, but it would seem to me that your religious behaviors would be similar in either case. There is a parable Shakyamuni Buddha told about a man who was struck by a poison arrow and refused to have it removed and treated until he fully understood who shot him, why they shot him, what the nature of the poison was, where the origin of the poison was, and so on - and none of it was addressing the actual injury.

If you are depressed and motivated by existential dread - this seems like an excellent time to pray! And if you get in the habit of praying every day then you will build a relationship.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

White Coke posted:

Faith can certainly start off from a place of fear of hell, but later come from a love of God as you learn more about Him/experience His love in your life.

(Also, sorry to hear about your Jelly Bean :( )

Cyrano4747 posted:

If anyone wants to take a swing at an OP I'm game.

gently caress, if any of you want to just MAKE an OP that's cool too. If we get two of them we can combine them into one big, beautiful OP.

Goodbye Religion Thread- hello Catholism Thread!

Deus Vult! :catholic:

Yeah, I'm not gonna start a new thread...

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
we need a good thread title first

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
2468 time to transubstantiate

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
my suggestion was Religionthread: Bad Posts in Good Faith

discord is suggesting something related to "99 shitposts nailed to a door"

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Wow all of those are good.

Religion Thread 2021: God help us all...

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

2468 time to transubstantiate

Ave Maria, gee it's good to see ya'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

discord is suggesting something related to "99 shitposts nailed to a door"
Fight Quakers Fight! In-Ner Light! Kill, Quakers, Kill!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is my favorite so far.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
New title needs to incorporate the thread's love of silly hats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RELIGIONTHREAD: Hats vs. Cats, Jesus is Ref