Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I gotta say I don't envy you folks this particular challenge during the pandemic. Although I am loving the priests with water pistols pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nessus posted:

I gotta say I don't envy you folks this particular challenge during the pandemic. Although I am loving the priests with water pistols pictures.
in the liturgy of st james, communion is taken in the hand, but then what? do we lick the wine off our palms?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_Saint_James

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I want to make a joke about priests handing out consecrated juice boxes, but I worry it would seem disrespectful.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Who's got the lead on reliable, non-politically motivated scholarship on the Book of Daniel? Specifically the etymology of 11:38, the reference to a "god of fortesses/forces" ;. "Deus Maozim" or Mauzzim it's sometimes written.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Who's got the lead on reliable, non-politically motivated scholarship on the Book of Daniel? Specifically the etymology of 11:38, the reference to a "god of fortesses/forces" ;. "Deus Maozim" or Mauzzim it's sometimes written.

Cornelius a Lapide links Maozim with the Roman Mars. He points to Hebrew scholars link Maozin with Jove of Olympus and specifically Antiochus Eppiphanes.

How is your Latin?

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Commentaria_in_quatuor_Prophetas_Maiores/hEGbJ8HJxPUC?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA1383&printsec=frontcover

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My go-to (I am not a scholar) is just to bust out a Hebrew dictionary. "God" here is "eloah", and "fortresses" is "maoz". I don't know Hebrew so I don't know which one carries the preposition. Eloah is a nice generic word for god. Maoz means "a place or means of safety, protection". It appears 36 times in the Old Testament, and looks to be translated with something fort-ish of helmet-ish on most occasions. It's never rendered as a proper name. Etymologically it derives from azaz, a primitive root denoting strength. In the absence of extra-Biblical evidence I'd guess the phrase is intended to convey "a god of fortresses" rather than a specific god named Eloah Maoz (or Deus Maozim if you prefer Latin).

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

in the liturgy of st james, communion is taken in the hand, but then what? do we lick the wine off our palms?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_Saint_James

Do Orthodox have to take communion in both kinds? Could you have the wine in individual disposable cups?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm gonna have the latin version of that tattooed on my chest, surmounting the star fort that's already there

anyway it came from greece

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Captain von Trapp posted:

My go-to (I am not a scholar) is just to bust out a Hebrew dictionary.
Don't do this. Languages aren't code and this naive reading can't substitute for reading the context of the entire primary source text you're trying to understand. If you have problems look at good secondary sources for reference, don't play games with etymology. This is a whisker away from "The chinese characters for danger are "chaos" plus "opportunity" naive reading of other peoples' languages.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

Don't do this. Languages aren't code and this naive reading can't substitute for reading the context of the entire primary source text you're trying to understand. If you have problems look at good secondary sources for reference, don't play games with etymology. This is a whisker away from "The chinese characters for danger are "chaos" plus "opportunity" naive reading of other peoples' languages.

Psh. Next you're going to tell me I cant just grab a 17th century manuscript and go to town with my knowledge of 20th century German.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

You can't just post this, you'll undermine the entire American revivalist project!!

That "god of fortresses" stuff reminds me of stuff you get in Dwarf Fortress.

Antivehicular posted:

I want to make a joke about priests handing out consecrated juice boxes, but I worry it would seem disrespectful.
I was going to ask if alternative means of taking the wine would be sacramentally valid myself.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

Don't do this. Languages aren't code and this naive reading can't substitute for reading the context of the entire primary source text you're trying to understand.

I don't disagree, but that's way more than I was trying to do. The question was "what's the etymology" and that's more or less what dictionaries are for.

E: sorry, I did say that I speculated that it wasn't a specific god. That's beyond what a dictionary can do. I happily scratch that suggestion.

Captain von Trapp fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 26, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

You can't just post this, you'll undermine the entire American revivalist project!!

In some ways it’s at the core of a lot of problems with religion in the US. Understood literally and contextually informed by tradition some some religious symbols are really very radical especially when compared to the common understanding of the world.

Tillich talks about the struggle for tradition. Conservative groups try to conserve, to save what they think is good in the status quo understanding of our shared traditional symbols. Revolutionary romantic groups try to create a new understanding of broken symbols to restore them (which is doomed to fail because they were really broken) and appropriate them for power.

The alternative is to reinterpret and give them new life them without re-interpreting them. To not make a new synthesis. To correlate them with the questions we have now, while contextually understanding their substance.

That sermon I posted on sin and grace is a good example. Sin as separation seems very much like a new idea. But it isn’t, it’s profoundly literal and biblical. But it correlates sin with question of alienation under capitalism. Then it offers grace as an answer.

I think that’s a good way to understand the fight about these words we use. We could understand sin in the way it was traditionally understood and try to preserve that and keep the concept from breaking. We could understand sin in a new way that supports power and is romantic, an idealization of an already broken concept. Or we can turn to origin, seriously wrestling with the idea in its context and in our tradition and trying to answer our very real questions that we face now with it.

Ideas that don’t change and that don’t inform our lives right now are dead.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm gonna have the latin version of that tattooed on my chest, surmounting the star fort that's already there

anyway it came from greece

Honestly as a phrase it's got huge "Secret Shin Megami Tensei boss" vibes. I'm really tempted to use it in a short story.

Worthleast posted:

Cornelius a Lapide links Maozim with the Roman Mars. He points to Hebrew scholars link Maozin with Jove of Olympus and specifically Antiochus Eppiphanes.

How is your Latin?

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Commentaria_in_quatuor_Prophetas_Maiores/hEGbJ8HJxPUC?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA1383&printsec=frontcover

Better than my Korean, thanks! This is fascinating stuff, my initial take on it had aligned with a few other theories that it was a cypher for a specific regional divinity as part of a commentary on a contemporary ruler, but the fact that there's no corroborating evidence for this cypher is a pretty big contraindicator.

Captain von Trapp posted:

My go-to (I am not a scholar) is just to bust out a Hebrew dictionary. "God" here is "eloah", and "fortresses" is "maoz". I don't know Hebrew so I don't know which one carries the preposition. Eloah is a nice generic word for god. Maoz means "a place or means of safety, protection". It appears 36 times in the Old Testament, and looks to be translated with something fort-ish of helmet-ish on most occasions. It's never rendered as a proper name. Etymologically it derives from azaz, a primitive root denoting strength. In the absence of extra-Biblical evidence I'd guess the phrase is intended to convey "a god of fortresses" rather than a specific god named Eloah Maoz (or Deus Maozim if you prefer Latin).

Other folks have covered the issue with decontextualization so I'm not going to dogpile, but thanks for linking to its other occurrences, seeing how else it was used is interesting in a phraseology sense

The "azaz" root is really interesting. Seen plenty of conjecture that Trump and his border wall are the Antichrist but really I think it's Peter Theil and Amazon.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The "azaz" root is really interesting. Seen plenty of conjecture that Trump and his border wall are the Antichrist but really I think it's Peter Theil and Amazon.
Hebrew and Greek are not related. The word for "without a breast" in Greek and "azaz" in Hebrew are similar by coincidence. Neither one is traditionally associated with the mythical figure of Antichrist. Humans see patterns and relationships where none exist. It's kind of bigoted toward Jews to wrench their holy language out of its context and use it to roll the bones for your intellectual masturbation.

What separates what you're doing from a fundie preacher in a megachurch, the kind of people you'd hate, except the veneer of irony? Fine, you're cool. You know what shin megami tensei is and you can cite scripture for your purpose. Good job.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Haha, oh right, that's why I left this thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So what's the big deal about the Antichrist in a bunch of non-wacko religions, anyway? Is it just that he (or what he represents) leads people away from salvation or does he have evil superpowers or what. I'm interested in the role of this figure in stuff in non-insane-Jack Chick environments.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Here’s what the Catechism of the Catholic Church has to say:

The Church's ultimate trial

675 Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.573 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth574 will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. the supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.575

676 The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgement. the Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,576 especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism.577

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.578 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God's victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.579 God's triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgement after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.580

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nessus posted:

So what's the big deal about the Antichrist in a bunch of non-wacko religions, anyway? Is it just that he (or what he represents) leads people away from salvation or does he have evil superpowers or what. I'm interested in the role of this figure in stuff in non-insane-Jack Chick environments.

The popular understanding of the Antichrist is really a combination of multiple different Biblical figures, splicing Thesselonians with bits from the Gospel of John and everyone's favorite, Revelation. There's the "Man of Sin" who's your Left Behind Jimmy Carpathain type, but there's also the prophecy in the book of Daniel about a corrupt world who is, as has been established, either Donald Trump or Peter Theil and literally no other possible figures.
There's also a lot of ink spilled on the idea that there are multiple Antichrists, and anything that distracts you from unity with the Church is an Antichrist. I like the Encyclopedia Britannica article on the subject.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Unrelated request for help: does anybody know a priest who's taking Mass intentions and says daily Mass on Saturdays? The two priests I know locally do not (just the vigil Mass in the evening) and I don't know any online, just follow some.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Unrelated request for help: does anybody know a priest who's taking Mass intentions and says daily Mass on Saturdays? The two priests I know locally do not (just the vigil Mass in the evening) and I don't know any online, just follow some.

Most Society priests do, if you don't mind the Extraordinary Form.

If you call one, make sure you start with "Hi, I'm from the internet."

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

It's the cold-calling priests part that I'm trying to avoid! "This guy with a picture of a dog as his identification said that you say daily Mass on Saturdays. Is this accurate?"

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

zonohedron posted:

It's the cold-calling priests part that I'm trying to avoid! "This guy with a picture of a dog as his identification said that you say daily Mass on Saturdays. Is this accurate?"

Ha. If you're ever in San Antonio, call my friend Fr. Stephen Zigrang. He should be able to help you out.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Ha. If you're ever in San Antonio, call my friend Fr. Stephen Zigrang. He should be able to help you out.

I live there, as it happens.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

hi. i'm from the internet, and i

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/museum-of-the-bible-obbink-gospel-of-mark/610576/

Worth a read. Theft, forgery, historical Jesus scholarship, hobby lobby, evangelicals and divine inspiration of texts, this has it all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/museum-of-the-bible-obbink-gospel-of-mark/610576/

Worth a read. Theft, forgery, historical Jesus scholarship, hobby lobby, evangelicals and divine inspiration of texts, this has it all.
and a guy abusing tenure to steal from his own college!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I can help with the Hebrew and the language in the book of Daniel but I have no idea about how the root azaz has anything to do with the Christian Antichrist. :wtc: let me reread that section and check a concordance on that phrase.

I'm teaching tonight (over Zoom) for Shavuot (~Pentecost?) about the formation of the Jewish people. I'm teaching sources from Rav Kook, the first chief rabbi of Israel.

Edit:
Daniel is so strange. What exactly is the question? The chapter contrasts G-d with this idolatrous god - the god of the king's own fortified power.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here is something I think we can all laugh at.

https://twitter.com/isaactweeting/status/1265859613162967042

https://giant.gfycat.com/UltimateDisfiguredGoshawk.mp4

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"What does God... need with a gold-fringed admirality flag?"

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

I can usually word good, but I can’t really describe how this makes me feel. Just, bad. It makes me feel bad.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I can usually word good, but I can’t really describe how this makes me feel. Just, bad. It makes me feel bad.

That's how I felt it until the moment when it lurches from ordinary vindictiveness to thermonuclear lunacy. I feel like I'd finish reading, wait a few seconds to see if I crumbled into dust like the Last Crusade, and then thank God I was honored(?) to see such a unique thing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

WrenP-Complete posted:

I can help with the Hebrew and the language in the book of Daniel but I have no idea about how the root azaz has anything to do with the Christian Antichrist. :wtc: let me reread that section and check a concordance on that phrase.

I'm teaching tonight (over Zoom) for Shavuot (~Pentecost?) about the formation of the Jewish people. I'm teaching sources from Rav Kook, the first chief rabbi of Israel.

Edit:
Daniel is so strange. What exactly is the question? The chapter contrasts G-d with this idolatrous god - the god of the king's own fortified power.

One of the sources I checked said that "maozim" comes from the root "azaz," meaning strength.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

One of the sources I checked said that "maozim" comes from the root "azaz," meaning strength.

Yes, it's the Antichrist I don't know anything about. The Hebrew I'm comfortable with. Azaz means to be strong. There's another example in Daniel 11:12.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 29, 2020

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I feel extremely sorry for the daughter. Bet you anything she has a terrible, probably spiritually abusive relationship with Crazy Father here

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BattyKiara posted:

I feel extremely sorry for the daughter. Bet you anything she has a terrible, probably spiritually abusive relationship with Crazy Father here

https://i.imgur.com/8b414Sa.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 29, 2020

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you! that is good to know!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Am I bad Christian for shooting ~10 rabbits in the last three days? I'm trying to protect my garden which will provide me with most of my vegetables all summer and into early fall.

This is a genuine and serious post for a number of reasons. I'd rather hear from y'guys* myriad perspectives rather than vomit my own thoughts.

* "You guys" is how Midwesterners refer to groups of people in a non-gender-specific way. It's like the Southern "y'all" but the winters are brutal and you exclaim "uff da!" when poked.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 30, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

No.

Are you going to eat the rabbits? My inclination would be to consider them a bonus product of the garden. Just be safe cleaning them if you are eating them. I remember a disease you can catch from wild rabbits unless you wear serious gloves. If it were deer getting into your garden what would you do?

That said rabbit is like the only thing I wouldn’t eat I just don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
why on earth would hunting / shooting make you a bad christian, my guy. we are carnivores.

eat the meat if it's safe. tan the fur? free gloves.