Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/species/rabbit/rabbit-safety-health

This is it, just wear good gloves i mean if you like rabbit. I’ve eaten just about everything but , (even sweet livers don’t ask me what that is I’m not proud of it) rabbit is just ehhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Am I bad Christian for shooting ~10 rabbits in the last three days? I'm trying to protect my garden which will provide me with most of my vegetables all summer and into early fall.

This is a genuine and serious post for a number of reasons. I'd rather hear from y'guys* myriad perspectives rather than vomit my own thoughts.
From the Buddhist perspective I think this falls into the realm of "unfortunate, to be avoided if possible, but it's not going to doom you to ten million years dungeon." If you don't want to eat the flesh and make use of the rabbit bodies, perhaps set them out for other animals?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think there'd be an argument that hunting is morally wrong if you're doing it just for the giggle, like you actively enjoy causing animals to suffer? But no, it's not unChristian to kill animals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As a Christian, I'm deeply divided and unsure of how to feel about the riots erupting across the US and was wondering if folks had any thoughts about it. I don't want people to die - and I'm afraid that if the riots continue and escalate the police and/or military is going to actively start firing with live ammunition - but I also understand the hopelessness, frustration, and anger driving the riots, and that some kind of pushback is long overdue.

https://i.imgur.com/p2qTTsC.mp4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The riots are a cry of pain and the response should be to find the source of the pain and heal it, not to condemn the cry.

So far the rioting is far from 'mindless' the way some have tried to frame it. I don't see destruction of property as inherently bad. Like you I'm afraid that the official response is going to escalate and cause deaths.

I know docbeard lives a stone's throw from the centre of the protests. I've visited him there a number of times, they're streets I know well. The rioting makes me sad but not half as sad as the murder of George Floyd.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Early this morning I was awakened by screaming. Horrible, panic screams from someone who sounded more like an animal than a human. And I smelled smoke. Grabbing my bra, a teeshirt, and a skirt, discarding my night gown (No, I didn't grab knickers, human brains are weird) I got out. The house across the street from mine was a massive wall of flame.

A woman, about 60-65? Was the source of screams. I grabbed her, and hugged her. I wanted her to calm down. She was crying in my arms when I saw that a human was trapped behind a large window, on the second floor. He was banging on the window pane when the building collapsed in on itself. At least the widow did NOT see that! Because I don't think I will forget that sight, or that sound, for a while.

Fire crew arrived, ambulance crew took over crying woman. I am not hurt. I am also not a drama queen. This is NOT about me. But can you all please pray for this surviving woman, who I THINK is called Angelina, and for the soul of her husband, who I never knew the name of and cannot remember seeing before today?

Please God, however you plan for me to die, please don't make it flames! Now it is 7 in the evening, and adrenaline is leaving my body...I want to curl up in bed, but since my flat smells like fire I guess I'll stay up and air out the place.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

Early this morning I was awakened by screaming. Horrible, panic screams from someone who sounded more like an animal than a human. And I smelled smoke. Grabbing my bra, a teeshirt, and a skirt, discarding my night gown (No, I didn't grab knickers, human brains are weird) I got out. The house across the street from mine was a massive wall of flame.

A woman, about 60-65? Was the source of screams. I grabbed her, and hugged her. I wanted her to calm down. She was crying in my arms when I saw that a human was trapped behind a large window, on the second floor. He was banging on the window pane when the building collapsed in on itself. At least the widow did NOT see that! Because I don't think I will forget that sight, or that sound, for a while.

Fire crew arrived, ambulance crew took over crying woman. I am not hurt. I am also not a drama queen. This is NOT about me. But can you all please pray for this surviving woman, who I THINK is called Angelina, and for the soul of her husband, who I never knew the name of and cannot remember seeing before today?

Please God, however you plan for me to die, please don't make it flames! Now it is 7 in the evening, and adrenaline is leaving my body...I want to curl up in bed, but since my flat smells like fire I guess I'll stay up and air out the place.

I'm glad you're okay, and I'm glad you were in a position to help that woman!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

augh I'm sorry that happened! I'm glad you could be there for her. Poor woman.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cythereal, like you, my thoughts on all of this are super scrambled. Like HopperUK mentioned, I'm a short distance away from where all this started in Minneapolis. More, I lived in that actual neighborhood for years, and for a while was two blocks from Lake & Minnehaha where the Third Precinct was. The places that burned were places I walked and shopped and lived.

I don't even know where to begin articulating how I feel about it all, but justice and peace in equal measure are what I pray for, and it's people, not property, for which I weep. (Well, mostly. A favorite bookstore appears to be destroyed, and that hurts, but not nearly as much as seeing a man executed with impunity by the police does.)

My roommate and I are safe where we are, at least for now, and I think and pray that will remain the case. (Getting groceries is gonna be tricky for a while.)

Related:

https://twitter.com/MyGalaxyBTSArmy/status/1266596273047703553?s=20

(A lot of people in the comments are saying that these are probably Old Order Mennonites rather than the Amish, and I think they're probably right.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Am I bad Christian for shooting ~10 rabbits in the last three days? I'm trying to protect my garden which will provide me with most of my vegetables all summer and into early fall.

This is a genuine and serious post for a number of reasons. I'd rather hear from y'guys* myriad perspectives rather than vomit my own thoughts.

* "You guys" is how Midwesterners refer to groups of people in a non-gender-specific way. It's like the Southern "y'all" but the winters are brutal and you exclaim "uff da!" when poked.

Take precautions if you're going to eat them, rabbits can carry parasites this time of year. If you're just doing pest removal, then there's nothing morally wrong with it, it's one of those things that's been necessary since agriculture became a concept ~11k years ago.

Cythereal posted:

As a Christian, I'm deeply divided and unsure of how to feel about the riots erupting across the US and was wondering if folks had any thoughts about it. I don't want people to die - and I'm afraid that if the riots continue and escalate the police and/or military is going to actively start firing with live ammunition - but I also understand the hopelessness, frustration, and anger driving the riots, and that some kind of pushback is long overdue.

I rarely like 'what would Jesus do', but it's a valid question. What would Christ do when faced with authority unjustly killing the innocent?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 1, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm clearly not the guy for an expert opinion, but last I checked the beasts of the field were given unto you. Unless you enjoy it more than spiritual pursuits (fursuits?) I think you're good.

If it bugs you, and I understand, there are numerous ways to keep vermin out of a garden without shooting them. Proper barrier fencing, removing bushes and other places that offer them from predators, or a guard dog or mechanic repellents.

I'd add as well that you should consider using the rabbits. Tan the hides, feed the meat to folks who need it, and give the rest back to nature.

Cythereal posted:

It is the longest overdue. I understand that it worries you, because it worries me too, but it can't be helped with the political system that breeds it. The riots may well continue and escalate because the police are using agents provocateur to initiate confrontations in which they are allowed to use lethal force.

There are a great many civic organizations that provide legal, medicinal and financial aid to families caught in the insanity, so if you can do nothing else, wire some money?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Violence is not acceptable. So while I fully UNDERSTAND the rioters and why this is happening, I cannot support it. Peaceful protests on the other hand is firmly in the sign me up! category. I like the idea of white people going between and acting like "shields" when people of colour protest.
Also, the whole system needs changing. We need to start with small things. Let it be socially unacceptable to drop casual, racist remarks. Let's not, in the name of "keeping the family peace" accept that one racist uncle's "jokes". Let's start talking to, and get to know, and listen to, our neighbours, co-workers, etc of colour when they tell their stories and learn from their experiences. Let us accept that majority populations will never truly understand the lives of minorities, but we can listen to their stories, and believe them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I rarely like 'what would Jesus do', but it's a valid question. What would Christ do when faced with authority unjustly killing the innocent?

Raising the dead is unfortunately not an option for most of us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BattyKiara posted:

Violence is not acceptable. So while I fully UNDERSTAND the rioters and why this is happening, I cannot support it. Peaceful protests on the other hand is firmly in the sign me up! category. I like the idea of white people going between and acting like "shields" when people of colour protest.

For me, the problem is: what do you do when peaceful protests simply do not work? Because that's my read on the situation. I live in a country where profound and systemic institutional racism is part of the bedrock of our society. Law enforcement is accountable to no one, least of all the people they supposedly protect. Black men are arrested far out of proportion to their population, and often given vastly disproportionate prison sentences where they are typically used as legal slave labor - when they're not simply killed out of hand, as are gay people, the mentally disabled, and other minorities. The purported leader of the national government is a senile, sociopathic narcissist and rapist who is throwing gasoline on the fire. Peaceful left-wing protests and efforts to change society are ineffective and ignored by the media and society.

And Christianity in America has been deeply corrupted in the service of these secular evils into becoming, for many, a tool of oppression.

I deplore violence, and people dying deeply distresses me. But at the same time, I simply cannot see a way things change for the better without violence.

https://i.imgur.com/AoVJYdu.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 1, 2020

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
We all have to find our own way to God. God's plan for you may not be the same as for me. I strongly feel that non-violence is my path, and that I need to accept the limitations. But I also believe in "Judge not" so I accept that your path may be very different from mine.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

BattyKiara, I'm so glad you're okay and were able to help that lady.

My partner in (rabbinic) crime finally has his spine operation tomorrow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BattyKiara posted:

We all have to find our own way to God. God's plan for you may not be the same as for me. I strongly feel that non-violence is my path, and that I need to accept the limitations. But I also believe in "Judge not" so I accept that your path may be very different from mine.

I'm not involved in the protests, there haven't been any where I live and none closer than a couple hours' drive. I'm non-violent by nature, and non-confrontational in general. I abhor violence and death. But I just don't see a good, non-violent way any of this ends.

As I admitted to God last night when I prayed, I'm scared in so many different ways about so many different things all mixed up in this. I don't see a good way out. But I hope that God sees what I cannot, and I accept that His wisdom is greater than mine.

As I always pray when I feel helpless: Lord, let Your will be done. Do with me and my life as You will.

https://i.imgur.com/VwMkkCN.mp4

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

I'm not involved in the protests, there haven't been any where I live and none closer than a couple hours' drive. I'm non-violent by nature, and non-confrontational in general. I abhor violence and death. But I just don't see a good, non-violent way any of this ends.

Do you see any good, violent ways it ends, then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

Do you see any good, violent ways it ends, then?

No.

https://i.imgur.com/N166YG3.gifv

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't speak for Friends/Quakers, but Mennonite pacifism/nonresistance has never really had its roots in the idea that nonviolence gets better results (though of course you'll get people saying that). It's more that we, as followers of Christ, do not take up the sword (of personal or state-sanctioned violence), come what may. And while I do believe that's the best way, it sits uneasy with me when I'm not the one being threatened.

I don't know how this ends. I don't know what the right thing is, but I think it has to start with loving service to those who are suffering. And that means cries for justice on behalf of those who survive and those who didn't, and it means offering comfort and support where we can in whatever way we can. I don't think it means moralizing, and it may well mean asking for forgiveness.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

Violence is not acceptable. So while I fully UNDERSTAND the rioters and why this is happening, I cannot support it.

Except we have an example of similar actions by Jesus:

And He entered the temple and began to drive out those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves; 16 and He would not permit anyone to carry merchandise through the temple. 17 And He began to teach and say to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a robbers’ den.”

I mean it’s half of what gets him crucified. The other half being mocking a Roman triumphant entry.

Similar actions now are still producing the same result, state violence leveraged against individuals. One could respond: but that was the temple, yes. But what is the house of the brother and sisters of Jesus, of God’s children? God’s earth.

I often find myself thinking of Romans 8. For what the law was powerless to do. That’s with us very much right now. Large numbers of people are finding the law not only powerless but malign. This weekend I saw in the USpol thread, a peaceful protestor intentionally trampled by a horse, police vehicles running over protestors, many journalists arrested or shot with non lethal rounds and this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266952661791674370?ref_url=http%3a%2f%2fforums.somethingawful.com%2f

Violence is not acceptable. The violence of the law, of a state, isn’t acceptable either. It goes back to “Sin is a state before it is an act” sometimes we sin because we want to continue existing. So how do I try to look at it? I try not to do theodicy. I’ve mentioned a tool from theology of the cross: Where are the parties involved relative to the cross? Who is on the cross, who is crucifying, where am I relative to to what is occurring?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A good book

https://www.amazon.com/Scandalous-God-PB-Abuse-Cross/dp/0800638956

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Ball and the Cross posted:

The Master was standing in the middle of the room surveying the scene like a great artist looking at a completed picture. Handsome as he looked, they had never seen so clearly what was really hateful in his face; and even then they could only express it by saying that the arched brows and the long emphatic chin gave it always a look of being lit from below, like the face of some infernal actor.

“This is indeed a cosy party,” he said, with glittering eyes.

The Master evidently meant to say more, but before he could say anything M. Durand had stepped right up to him and was speaking.

He was speaking exactly as a French bourgeois speaks to the manager of a restaurant. That is, he spoke with rattling and breathless rapidity, but with no incoherence, and therefore with no emotion. It was a steady, monotonous vivacity, which came not seemingly from passion, but merely from the reason having been sent off at a gallop. He was saying something like this:

“You refuse me my half-bottle of Medoc, the drink the most wholesome and the most customary. You refuse me the company and obedience of my daughter, which Nature herself indicates. You refuse me the beef and mutton, without pretence that it is a fast of the Church. You now forbid me the promenade, a thing necessary to a person of my age. It is useless to tell me that you do all this by law. Law rests upon the social contract. If the citizen finds himself despoiled of such pleasures and powers as he would have had even in the savage state, the social contract is annulled.”

“It's no good chattering away, Monsieur,” said Hutton, for the Master was silent. “The place is covered with machine-guns. We've got to obey our orders, and so have you.”

“The machinery is of the most perfect,” assented Durand, somewhat irrelevantly; “worked by petroleum, I believe. I only ask you to admit that if such things fall below the comfort of barbarism, the social contract is annulled. It is a pretty little point of theory.”

“Oh! I dare say,” said Hutton.

Durand bowed quite civilly and withdrew.

---

Two of the three passages leading out of the hall were choked with blue smoke. Another instant and the hall was full of the fog of it, and red sparks began to swarm like scarlet bees.

“The place is on fire!” cried Quayle with a scream of indecent terror. “Oh, who can have done it? How can it have happened?”

A light had come into Turnbull's eyes. “How did the French Revolution happen?” he asked.

“Oh, how should I know!” wailed the other.

“Then I will tell you,” said Turnbull; “it happened because some people fancied that a French grocer was as respectable as he looked.”

Even as he spoke, as if by confirmation, old Mr. Durand re-entered the smoky room quite placidly, wiping the petroleum from his hands with a handkerchief. He had set fire to the building in accordance with the strict principles of the social contract.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some church leaders are not only not speaking out, they're censoring anyone that even attempts it:

(I don't know anything about this demonination so I don't know what they're like in general, but I see no reason for that post to be removeD)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Does it really surprise any American to see secular politics influence religious orgs?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean what are we even good for if we can't speak up at a moment like this?

(Not everyone is being silent but there's a conspicuous absence of faith leaders in the national conversation right now)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
The church I'm watching these days is one of the whitest churches in one of the whitest areas of the deep south. It's theologically and politically conservative. Very conservative. The pastor spent a lot of time in the sermon last Sunday condemning bigotry and prejudice. Nobody disagreed as far as I can tell. Just because they're not on CNN or Fox doesn't mean they're not shepherding their flocks.

I don't think Christians can ever justify breaking or taking stuff that belongs to innocent third parties. But protesting peacefully for something good is good. When violence against guilty third parties is ok is a hard question, and I'm not going to risk getting it wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

Does it really surprise any American to see secular politics influence religious orgs?
What do you mean when you say this?

I figure these things are not surprising, but they are disappointing, and the fact that this disappointment has become systemic or even predictable does not make it good or beyond condemnation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Like TOOT BOOT says, there's a lot of folks who are conspicuously silent right now.

Glad to see some folks not hesitating to speak up, though:

https://twitter.com/mboorstein/status/1267607428293636096

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Liquid Communism posted:

Like TOOT BOOT says, there's a lot of folks who are conspicuously silent right now.

I'm really hard pressed to think of a word to describe tear gassing clergy providing medical on sanctified ground for a photo op and a campaign video aside from "blasphemy."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm really hard pressed to think of a word to describe tear gassing clergy providing medical on sanctified ground for a photo op and a campaign video aside from "blasphemy."

Evil.

There's no shades of grey there, that is straight-up evil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Liquid Communism posted:

yeah the moment I realized it was St John's he was going to I immediately thought there was no WAY either priest or bishop had given informed assent to his stunt

was glad to see the bishop went the extra mile, I'd heard she was a good egg :3:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah the moment I realized it was St John's he was going to I immediately thought there was no WAY either priest or bishop had given informed assent to his stunt

was glad to see the bishop went the extra mile, I'd heard she was a good egg :3:

Even worse, one of the people gassed was a priest of the diocese.

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1267644542762864641

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Archbishop Gregory (who used to be my bishop back in Atlanta) out with a strong statement on the President's visit to the JPII shrine.

https://twitter.com/WashArchdiocese/status/1267837240815697925

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Even worse, one of the people gassed was a priest of the diocese.

Please don't take this the wrong way when I say I am very glad the priest was one of the people getting gassed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Who's got the lead on reliable, non-politically motivated scholarship on the Book of Daniel? Specifically the etymology of 11:38, the reference to a "god of fortesses/forces" ;. "Deus Maozim" or Mauzzim it's sometimes written.

the fact that you think there exists "non politically motivated" biblical scholarship proves that you are not someone who should be seeking out biblical scholarship

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Violence is not acceptable. So while I fully UNDERSTAND the rioters and why this is happening, I cannot support it.

None of the protestors in Minnesota have committed acts of violence. Even the truck driver who tried to mow down hundreds of demonstrators was protected by those same demonstrators until police arrived to arrest him. The huge majority of violence this entire time has been committed by police and military. I have been on the ground providing aid to displaced families and dehydrated demonstrators, and half-baked hot takes from the other side of the world like this don't help.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Hey, Lutha, what kind of response has your father had to all this? I know as a member of the clergy and from what you’ve posted about him this whole situation must be weighing on him heavily.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

He supports better race relations, while at the same time I think he is worried that things will spiral out of control. When Trump was elected, one of his big worries was that extremists would feel emboldened to do terrorism like the KKK used to do when he was a kid.

I think his bigger concern right now is keeping his elderly parishioners free of the rona. And that's fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

He supports better race relations, while at the same time I think he is worried that things will spiral out of control. When Trump was elected, one of his big worries was that extremists would feel emboldened to do terrorism like the KKK used to do when he was a kid.

I think his bigger concern right now is keeping his elderly parishioners free of the rona. And that's fine with me.

I can see where that would be extremely pressing for his ministry.