Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Edit: nvm

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I stole this from a (Baptist) friend of mine: Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Silly Hats.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BattyKiara posted:

New title needs to incorporate the thread's love of silly hats!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I stole this from a (Baptist) friend of mine: Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Silly Hats.

Religionthread: Bad Posts in Good Faith. Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Silly Hats.

(it fits, just barely. I checked)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nessus posted:

I do not come from the Christian tradition (other than general culturalization) so I cannot say for sure, but it would seem to me that your religious behaviors would be similar in either case. There is a parable Shakyamuni Buddha told about a man who was struck by a poison arrow and refused to have it removed and treated until he fully understood who shot him, why they shot him, what the nature of the poison was, where the origin of the poison was, and so on - and none of it was addressing the actual injury.

If you are depressed and motivated by existential dread - this seems like an excellent time to pray! And if you get in the habit of praying every day then you will build a relationship.

This is a rather apt parable. It's easy to delay action by seeking to acquire more information at the expense of making yourself better. I do pray, but not with any regularity.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Faith can certainly start off from a place of fear of hell, but later come from a love of God as you learn more about Him/experience His love in your life.

(Also, sorry to hear about your Jelly Bean :( )

Hell, or non-existence. When I was an atheist it was hell, now that I identify as a Christian again it's non-existence. That said I've found the teachings of Jesus with regard to love and forgiveness to be of great comfort to me. It's why I see-saw between doubting my convictions and holding to them.

And yeah it was hard to make the decision about Jelly Bean, and now that we have we're looking for signs of a miraculous recovery so that we can delay the inevitable, or remove the responsibility from out hands and put it in God's.

Fritz the Horse posted:

my suggestion was Religionthread: Bad Posts in Good Faith

discord is suggesting something related to "99 shitposts nailed to a door"

There's a religion discord channel?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

White Coke posted:

There's a religion discord channel?

https://discord.gg/pnFgr8Gp

It's not necessarily super active recently, it was very active during the Lowtax -> Jeffrey transition.

I can do a brief OP and start a new thread tonight I suppose.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
new thread up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955347

hopefully it's an alright OP

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for doing this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

new thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3955347&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#pti3