Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Back from vespers, high on incense, low on gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

rosaries and prayer beads. i just bought some prayer beads (made with paracord lol) and i want to talk about 'em. post yours, post pretty pictures, talk about praying the rosary or the orthodo prayer rules that require beads, etc.

edit: speaking of architecture chat

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,46274.0.html

I got this rope in my coat pocket.

cerror fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2018

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

dat bear

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I've been loaned a copy of "The Rudder of the Orthodox Catholic Church" which is a big huge compilation of all the canon law. So far as I can tell, you can get excommunicated for all kinds of things, but I haven't gotten to any parts about scruffy hair... yet.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Since this is also food chat, if anyone observes the various fasts, what are some good things that can variously be eaten with or without meat, fish, and/or oil?

borscht is too obvious, btw

cerror fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 29, 2018

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Back from Christmas liturgy. I went with no expectations and left with an icon and beer. :toot:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Merry Christmas! That icon is gorgeous. Does it all depict the nativity? If so what's going on in the bottom right?

Looks like they're getting ready to bathe baby Jesus. I haven't seen this icon before, so I'm not entirely certain what all the scenes are.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I just finished "Unseen Warfare" by Lorenzo Scupoli. That book does not hold back. There were a few instances where the author struck a nerve and I wanted the throw the book across the room. Then it occurred to me that this is the exact sort of thing (usually pride or self-reliance) that the author was talking about. Honestly, the notion of trusting in God in all things, instead of yourself, reminds me a lot of the Buddhist idea of seeing the world as it really is instead of how we want it to be. In my experience, though, actually doing so is a constant struggle.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I love coffee hour. I'm that creepy goon in the corner who doesn't initiate conversations. However, it has allowed me to observe amusing clergy behavior. Like, for example, this morning when I witnessed 3 priests talking and overheard the archpriest say, "Monks are weird."

This is a scientific fact that non-coffee-hour-having Christians may be unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I came across this amusing spoof while reading one of Aleister Crowley's diaries from 1908. It's rather irreverent, but incredibly goony.

Aleister Crowley posted:

The Confession of St. Judas McCabbage

I believe in Charles Darwin Almighty, maker of Evolution; and in Ernst Haeckel, his only son our Lord Who for us men and for our salvation came down from Germany: who was conceived of Weissmann, born of Büchner, suffered under du Bois-Raymond, was printed, bound, and shelved: who was raised again into English (of sorts), ascended into the Pantheon of the Literary Guide and sitteth on the right hand of Edward Clodd: whence he shall come to judge the thick in the head.
I believe in Charles Watts; the Rationalist Press Association; the annual dinner at the Trocadero Restaurant; the regularity of subscriptions, the resurrection in a sixpenny edition, and the Book-stall everlasting.
Amen.

edit: spelling.

cerror fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 17, 2019