Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hey, im praying the Rosary again today while I get my next round of chemo...let me know if anyone has any prayer requests other than for swift retribution against those named in the Pennsylvania report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Cythereal posted:

People read any of Dante's work beyond Inferno?

I'm reading the Divine Comedy now for the first time. Just left Virgil behind to enter Paradise.

Re: the Pope Francis stuff...if Whispers In The Loggia is to be believed this is all related to the right-wing/conservative/"Cardinal Burke looks -stunning- in that cappa magna!" pushback against Amoris Laetitia.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

To clarify: I'm not rejecting Vigano's statement out of hand. I'm suspicious of it because it comes from a faction that thinks this whole scandal is about homosexuality, not clericalism (as he himself says).

Pershing fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 26, 2018

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

So I was reading this article on the Vigano letter controversy and something leapt out at me.

The NY Times posted:

Two weeks ago, Archbishop Viganò privately shared his plan to speak out with an influential American friend: Timothy Busch, a wealthy, conservative Catholic lawyer on the board of governors of the media network in which Archbishop Viganò ultimately revealed his letter.

“Archbishop Viganò has done us a great service,” Mr. Busch said in a phone interview Sunday night. “He decided to come forward because if he didn’t, he realized he would be perpetuating the cover-up.”

Mr. Busch said he believed Archbishop Viganò’s claims to be “credible,” and that he did not know in advance that the archbishop would choose to publish his attack in the National Catholic Register, which is owned by the Eternal Word Television Network, where Mr. Busch is on the board of governors.

Mr. Busch said leaders of the publication had personally assured him that the former pope, Benedict XVI, had confirmed Archbishop Viganò’s account. Details and accuracy of that confirmation have not been externally verified.

Yes, yes...Pope Benedict got on the horn to Irondale, Alabama to let EWTN know Vigano was telling the truth :thunk:

I can't imagine a scenario where Benedict betrays his oath of fidelity to Francis just to help out the American Catholic right.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Please pray for me, I am starting a prayer "retreat" that'll last a little over a month. I have been in a really bad place: missing way too many Masses and pretending it's OK because of my anxiety, not praying, and my swings and sleep issues (which no one can even figure out even after having them for literally 20 years and doing 3 extensive sleep studies) are just hard to deal with. I am blessed that I was given a good foundation in ministry, therapy, and personality that I haven't been too much of an emotional burden to my friends and family, and I don't make it a habit of lashing out at people. (Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.) Anyway, if you could offer up some prayers for Thirteen Orphans I would really appreciate it.

I dont reply to every prayer post but I do pray for every one if them, yours included.

Please pray that God will give me strength to endure. On top of my own health problems my wife is hospitalized with a blood clot in her lung. Being a solo parent while sick is no fun.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I'll be praying today while I get my next round of chemotherapy...let me know if anybody has any new intentions (other than Tias' sleep problem :) )

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

j o b a p p l i c a t i o n s i n a c a d e m i a

also, i will pray for your healing

Thank you! One of the good things about this is all the patron saints im learning about as I pray.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Mr Enderby posted:

That is an impressively positive outlook there dude. Hoping all is still going ok with you.

I've cried my tears too! Last week when my wife was in the hospital drat near killed me with stress and anxiety. I just had my latest infusion today as well. I'm going to hurt for the next few days and that suffering is unavoidable.

The prayer for others helps. Praying with the saints helps...I like to picture myself holding hands in a prayer circle with the Virgin and my favorite saints, that gives me a good feeling.

Asking Christ to unite my suffering to his helps. Balancing out the sadness by reminding myself of what I have spiritually helps...I can't be defeated because Christ has already won the most important victory for me.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Pellisworth posted:

Who is the patron saint of work disputes / dealing with corrupt authority / exploitative bosses

Maybe St. Joseph the Worker?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Tias posted:

So, I'd appreciate some spiritual energy. You know I'm a fellow traveler, and things are really going south. I've had a (hopefully brief) relapse with hard drugs, my anxiety and depression has resurfaced, and I'm trying to work the steps again while taking school and managing a relationship to my parents and girlfriend.

Any thoughts or prayers will be appreciated. Thank you!

St. Maximillian Kolbe, please hear our prayers.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Pelagianism?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Ok, what heresy is this?

https://local.theonion.com/casual-christian-accepts-christ-as-his-lord-but-not-his-1829440243

Also, is there a thread opinion on Jacques Maritain? I picked up a book about him and his thoughts on Christians in a democracy. Looked interesting but it turned out to be quotes of his cherry-picked from a variety of his writings. Is Maritain worth reading?

ALSO, my next chemo round is tomorrow. Please give me your intentions so I can pray on them while I'm sitting.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Gala and Granny Smith!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Caufman posted:

On my behalf, please add another prayer for your health and happiness. And what do you want me to pray for when I sit with little else to do?

For the intercession of Mary Untier of Knots and the intercession of St. Peregrine, please!

Prayers sent!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

A blasphemous representation of Our Lady, Star Of The Sea...reminds me of some Hellboy comics.

E: vvv that was quoted in a Hellboy story where he cut off Blackbeard's head.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 3, 2018

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

TIL that my diocese has a retreat hike for those thinking about becoming priests.

They named it The Melchizetrek.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Worthleast posted:

Somewhere out there in TYOOL 2018 there are tweed gothic vestments and incense that smells like pipe smoke.

I am ready to attend Chap Rite liturgy.

BTW, for those who haven't heard The Chap magazine/website is a great read.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Pope Francis has laicized two Chilean bishops (one of whom was an emeritus)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is it uncharitable to say good riddance? :shrug:

I think we're allowed to be happy when we receive justice in any amount. Here's to more of the same.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

Probably MP, I dunno if there are any ROCOR people up there. It wouldn't be EP no matter who it was because of the following:

EP. also called Constantinople, also called The Phanar = The Ecumenical Patriarch and his administration, plus like five dudes in Turkey lol and the Greek dioceses in the US
Greek Orthodox Church: The Greek Orthodox church in Greece
GOARCH: The Greek Orthodox church in the US. Not the same as #2, under control of #1
ROC, MP, Moscow: The Russian Orthodox Church. Also contains some Russian orthodox churches outside Russia
ROCOR, ROCA: The Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia: Was out of communion with Moscow until 2007 because of a bunch of poo poo
OCA: The Orthodox Church In America: Not the only orthodox church in America. Some people are divided on whether or not they're autocephalous as well

edit: other helpbul words:
axios: greek for "correct," used to signify "i agree with this," "yea verdict." I've seen it used in chatrooms as "right on," like something good happens and you say "axios!"
anaxios: greek for "not correct,"used to signify "i do not agree with this" or "nay verdict"

This may be :can: but why is it that each of these churches have a separate organization and group of parishes(?) in the United States. Is it 'normal' in the Orthodox tradition for a nation to have multiple Orthodox churches?

To put it another way, why isn't there an autocephalous American Orthodox Church? [spoiler] I hope I'm using 'autocephalous' correctly [\spoiler]

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I wonder if part of the Orthodox equation re: the US is that an American Orthodox Church would have an outsized voice in Orthodox affairs. I'm thinking along the lines of the sort of confident statements I hear during papal elections about how "there will never be an American pope", i.e. fear of American cultural/political influence getting potentiated by the papacy.

FWIW, I prayed for Cardinal O'Malley to be elected during the last conclave.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Last round of chemo today :toot:

Praying again for the thread's intentions, let me know what you got.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

^^^^ Thank you.

US Bishops conference this year now a retreat at the Pope's 'request'

He's sending the Preacher of The Papal Household to run the retreat...a Capuchin who sounds like a real hoot.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I would really appreciate prayer tonight. After my last chemo round I picked up a sinus infection I'm having trouble with, my low (100.4) fever is back tonight.

My wife is a nurse, she says I should be ok but its still scares me because I can't sleep well when I'm like this and everything else gets harder.

I'm just begging God for a period of good health so I can make some changes and also draw closer to him, especially in patience. Thanks in advance.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

ThingOne posted:

I got a chance to visit the Cathedral in Cusco recently and the Incan influence on the art there was strong. The painting of the Three Kings had them dressed as Inca royalty and riding hosed-up, earless llamas because the artist had no idea what a camel looked like. The Last Supper painting has them eating guinea pig and drinking chicha.

They didn't want us taking photos so I found one online.

"Hi, I'm Judas...you're probably wondering how it all went wrong..."

also, what indigenous animal is that main course?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

I tried to buy a pocket horologion but it got lost in the mail.

This would also work as a line in a Douglas Adams book.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Me, my wife and kids all went to Mass tonight and we showed up early enough to sit in a pew!!!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Jedi425 posted:

At a Catholic mass? Man, you were camped out all night huh?

We showed up forty minutes early to the Children's Mass and still had to sit halfway uo the row. Last year we showed up 'on time' and got the last row of folding chairs in the lobby :(

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

Floating saturnian neo-constantinople

I love your new Cyberpunk setting and I'm eager to back your Kickstarter.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

how's your health by the way

I'm 'better' but I really need the Lord to give me a break. All the things that aren't my illness are rearing their head including my Mom now getting diagnosed with almost the same cancer. This has precipitated one of the biggest religious/spiritual funks I've had since my baptism.

I'm focusing a lot on my -actions- in faith right now (just go to Confession, just say the words of a prayer, just go to Mass/Eucharist) right now because all the 'on fire'/deep inner conversion stuff that America pitches is just out of me right now. I'm grateful for one of your earlier posts for some perspective on this. I'm increasingly of the belief that American society's idea that Christian living 'should be' about a grown up making a conscious decision to convert and then trying to all the time live an active discipleship without doubt is just a bunch of crap (I'm paraphrasing a post you made months ago and probably mangling it too).

Shorter version: :dawkins101: but :pray:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

FYI, I'll be getting one of my 'maintenance' chemo rounds tomorrow. I'll be praying as usual...let me know if anyone has any special intentions.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

pidan posted:

Some US denominations are strongly pro temperance / against alcohol. They tend to claim that the "wine" mentioned in the bible was not alcoholic, less alcoholic than modern wine, or only alcoholic for food preservation reasons that are no longer relevant.

Jack Van Impe did an extended riff on the 'difference' between the Hebrew yain (sp?) and the Greek oinos and how they meant totally different things.

I dont know if his argument was any good, I only heard it because Negativland sampled it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

(Former) Cardinal McCarrick has been laicized.

I wonder what becomes of him now...he had been living in a friary in Kansas.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

"Various Forms Of Religious Syncretism" also functions as a catch-all title for self-help books.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

pidan posted:

This is also my review of the 17th century.

He's talking about one hundred years later but I think there's people here who would like Townsend's. Start with this yummy-sounding fried chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

is everyone here from the midwest

I'm from the South. I did, however, write the Fargo Chamber of Commerce once saying I might be interested in moving there, could you send a brochure, etc.

Two weeks later I got an inch think manila envelope just stuffed with info.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Washington Post story on the UMC vote for those who are interested

In the UMC tradition, is there a scriptural/theology argument in favor of a more open LGBT stance? Quotes in the article focused more on "we'll lose young members!"

Pershing fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 27, 2019

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, don't ask that question to a lot of Catholics unless you want to be terribly sad..

The very thought of our denominations being judged by the doctrinal knowledge of the average layman :shudder:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

asio posted:

George Pell is now in an Australian prison and the Vatican had an intergalactic meeting of bishops over the weekend. This is the homily given at the mass at the conclusion of the summit on the protection of minors in the Church: https://brisbanecatholic.org.au/articles/archbishop-marks-homily-for-the-7th-sunday-in-ordinary-time-year-c/

I believe Pope Francis and his council on this issue (the group Cardinal O'Malley is in) when they say they are going to fix this. I hope to God I'm not a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

asio posted:

Mark Coleridge's diocese of Brisbane has a laity very enthusiastic of greater participation in the church and they are holding councils for laity to be part of to guide the direction of the church. Having more eyes on church operations can only be a good thing.

Oh, my sense is that is very much the direction the panel on sexual abuse would like the church to go in.

I just hope we can actually have reform without it being sandbagged by some pack of assholes in the Curia.