Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

protestants, you had a good run. now it's time to consecrate yourselves to the blessed virgin mary

the father lookin like a drag king with a fake beard or a drag queen with a real beard there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no cops in churches imho

especially not majority latino or african american churches

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the infinity crucifix

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

When I was a kid, my mom told me that while Santa Claus wasn't literally true, there was truth in the spirit of Santa Claus and that the fictional character had a metaphorical truth to it. I went away to stew on this, and then came back to her: "I don't care what you say, Santa Claus is real!"

Years later, I read about the life of Saint Nicholas and felt 100% vindicated.

okay kropotkin

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

If you don't believe me, you're welcome to ask my mom.

kroporkin traced his lineage back to saint nicholas and was so into it he would dress up as santa and give gifts to the local kids on christmas

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
confirmation is a fake sacrament that only exists because at some point seven sacraments was important

change my mind

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i’m gonna say trust but verify, since people have been trying to ratfuck francis for years. if the nuncio’s background makes ratfucking unlikely then it’s probably time for a new pope

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

Maybe this time we can get an Asian pope. That'd be cool.

how are they gonna find a bishop whose parents were italian immigrants in asia?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it’s a ratfucking but the reason it’s effective is when you hear “the pope knowingly shielded a pedophile from consequences” your natural response is “yeah probably,” and then you think about it and you still say “yeah probably”

the piss tape of the holy see, though piss tape wasn’t ratfucking it was opposition research

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
man who got fired for trying to ratfuck the pope releases 11 pages of unsubstantiated claims that just so happen to make francis look like poo poo; as much as i hear those accusations and go "yeah maybe" the fact is, if it looks like a ratfucking, sounds like ratfucking, and fucks like a ratfucking, it's probably a ratfucking

by the by ratfucking is the greatest politics term and i am so happy to use it as many times as possible. i love it more than reminding people mccain crashed three planes, and if he wasn't captured by the vietcong probably would have continued to crash planes until the us military ran out of planes for him to crash

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

don't do this. Luke 6:28. In this thread we will pray for the soul of God's servant John, who has fallen asleep.

i tend to not give a poo poo about people who invade foreign countries for like, no reason, and who spend most of 2009 and 2010 sabotaging the hell out of healthcare reform because they were butthurt about losing an election. and you know, voted for the patriot act

i reject wholeheartedly the culture of sanctifying the dead because they're dead. john mccain was a bitch, ronald reagan was trash, and margaret thatcher is rotting in hell with the two of them. you can't spend your entire adult life making the lives of everyone in your country and abroad hell and then expect to have your rear end patted because your brain cancer (whose entirely publicly funded treatment you enjoyed while spending most of your career keeping the same funding from the american people) killed you. gently caress that, if your politics caused people to die, like both from having america invade their country for no real reason (why were we in afghanistan and iraq? bin laden was in pakistan, like even if you accept the idea that retaliation for terrorists destroying the twin towers was a reason to invade a sovereign nation, the surviving mastermind wasn't in afghanistan and iraq had literally nothing to do with it) or by fighting healthcare reform to the point it becomes nothing more than corporate welfare that utterly failed to significantly increase the number of people insured in the country, then i'm going to make jokes about how the vietcong's biggest mistake was not letting mccain keep crashing those planes

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my religion is basically "sinners in the hands of an angry god" except instead of an angry god it's a compassionate buddha so allow me to say; it literally does not matter in my religion whether i piss on ronald regan's grave or not, and to be perfectly frank i think holding old white people whose politics murder people accountable for their actions after they die is fine

john mccain was a bad person. calling him a bad person who crashed three planes in vietnam and only got that far because he had a war hero daddy and if he hadn't been a pow he wouldn't have a career in politics does not become morally wrong just because he died. it was fine when he was alive and it's fine now that the old bastard is dead. this idea that someone dying means all of a sudden we have to pretend they weren't an incompetent soldier and an incompetent politician whose "maverick" persona was entirely fabricated is ridiculous. and yeah, when hillary and trump die i'm gonna make the same jokes about their sorry lilly white asses too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am genuinely against people whitewashing the legacies of people who, if they weren't american, would be considered war criminals. i think mentioning the fact that john mccain's true legacy was crashing planes, voting in lockstep with the republicans except for the few instances where he actually had personal experiences that gave him perspective (torture, his last minute health care vote), and reminding people that he voted for things like the patriot act, the invasion of iraq, and refused to vote for the healthcare reform act that he was involved in at every process of, and essentially doing his best to sabotage the entire time.

if saying "this dude sucked, and we all know none of you are grieving for him because you didn't know him personally" is somehow crossing a line, y'all need to like... get perspective on things.

and yeah i'm gonna say the same poo poo when bush kicks it and y'all wanna give that monster the decency of ignoring all his crimes after death.

btw hegel i neither believe in a soul nor a judge. karma's a process, not a person. what happens after death is a natural result of the actions we've taken in this and previous lifetimes, and is the accumulation of all our positive and negative karma. the only natural result in this fallen era is rebirth in hell, but because of amida's grace and compassion responding to his call and making the true nembutsu is the only way to be reborn in his pure land and actually be able to do the hard work of becoming buddhas. my religion had literal fascists promoting japanese war crimes so forgive me if i don't see calling out dead men's poo poo legacies as particularly foul in the grand scheme of things

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacewolf posted:

Can I be blunt? You are proving that: A. You have no decency or sense of propriety or timing; B. You are quite probably an insufferable rear end in a top hat in real life.

I mean, seriously, who does this? How obsessive and weird can you get? You think your politics excuses you from all social graces or politeness or really anything resembling not being an rear end.

What's funny is, I used to have sympathy for you, I used to write off the rough edges as a product of a poo poo situation. Now I'm wondering if maybe your situation isn't, at this point, basically of your own making.

oh no bad man died better not tell people he was bad man so his family and colleagues can pass off his legacy through rose colored lenses and have everyone think of him as a man who acted independently of his party, was a brilliant military mind, and was a compassionate conservative. what's that? you shouldn't give people an opportunity to whitewash his legacy and use him for future political gains simply because he's dead and has been dying for nearly a year? that's indecent! you can't speak ill of the dead! osama bin laden and hitler were saints because they died and it doesn't matter what they did in life! at least they fought communists!

your boner for the dead is ridiculous. wifebeaters are wifebeaters even if they die, torturers are torturers even if they die, and yes war criminals are war criminals even after death. john mccain was a bitch and he died like one

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
at least i didn't invade iraq and afghanistan and crash three planes in vietnam

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
legit are you all gonna let people try and whitewash george w bush's legacy when he dies because being dead makes you off limits? are you gonna correct people who talk about how he saved us after 9/11 by telling them he and his administration ignored intelligence indicating a plan to hijack planes and fly them into the world trade center? are you gonna sit quietly when people talk about how he painted dogs and said trump sucks and not mention him lying to the american people in order to invade iraq? are you gonna let people talk about how he had a great sense of humor and not mention the torture that became commonplace under his administration? are you gonna let people rehabilitate this war criminal's reputation because you gotta respect the dead, no matter how evil?

and did you extend the same courtesy to osama bin laden? sure he murdered thousands of people and helped fund wahabist terror but he died so you gotta be quiet about all the evils he did in life and focus on the good, for some god damned reason that no one seems to be able to articulate.

is john mccain's shithead daughter gonna go on the forums, check out the christianity thread, and then cry cause senju kannon's talking about how much her dad loving sucked? cause i got news for you; there's people saying worse things elsewhere on the forums and internet. all i'm doing is stating facts; he crashed planes, he voted to invade iraq and afghanistan, he voted for the patriot act, and he voted with his party more than most republicans. he was a lovely guy before he died and now that he's dead i'm going to do my best to not let people whitewash his legacy with this "maverick resistance" bullshit

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean the meat of the original post was "pope francis is getting ratfucked by a guy who tried to ratfuck him a few years back and was fired for it" but i added in "i love saying ratfuck as much as i love making john mccain crashing planes jokes" and people got maaaaaad even though he literally did crash tons of planes in vietnam, and then i just defended my statements and people got even more mad even though again; i have said nothing wrong, ever

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
because i'm a thread regular and i talk about politics a lot. i'm literally a political theologian. when i studied religion it was the ways in which religion influences politics and vice versa. it also just kinda... came up in the conversation? people were getting mad at me for making john mccain crashing planes jokes and yeah, as part of that discussion i mentioned margaret thatcher and what a piece of poo poo she was.

once again; the focus of my post was that francis is getting ratfucked by someone who tried to ratfuck him before. i mentioned that ratfucking is a hilarious politics thing, and i like saying it almost as much as i like saying john mccain crashed three planes in vietnam. people took offense at this "too soon" jab at the dead senator who voted to invade iraq which led to hundreds of thousands of dead iraqis, and i got annoyed that apparently making jokes about his terrible ability to fly planes is now sacrosanct because the dude died. i am legitimately annoyed at this culture that you "can't speak ill of the dead," because apparently what was once okay is now evil because the dude did what everyone is going to do eventually and died. it is not solely a christian conceit, but i think this thread demonstrates that it is very often a christian idea that the dead become holy once they die and you can no longer speak ill of them without causing some sort of grave "disrespect," and this is often used by right wingners to rehabilitate the legacies of genuinely hideous human beings and yeah, it is something that pisses me off. the idea that it's somehow in bad taste to put "ding dong the witch is dead" in the top ten the week thatcher died because we have to ignore the fact that her policies led to thousands of dead people because she's dead and dead people are holy figures who cannot be criticized is loving ridiculous and yeah, your posts about how it's "too soon" or "he's already faced judgement" or whatever is completely ignoring the reality that by allowing these bad faith actors to rehabilitate the legacy of these garbage human beings you're essentially an accessory to their future political goals, which is to further the ACTUAL legacy of these human trash piles.

these have political implications and so long as organizations like the united states council of catholic bishops has an entire department dedicated to lobbying congress then you're gonna have to deal with politics and religion being talked about in the same breath because guess what; they're basically the same thing

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
again the main thrust of the post that started the derail was that francis was getting ratfucked by a guy who tried to ratfuck him, and i mentioned that i found the term funny and liked saying it as much as i like making "john mccain crashes planes" jokes. hegel did not like that i make those jokes, and then i brought up how he is a Bad Person who Killed People via his politics and that i don't buy into that crap, which then became its own discussion

i didn't come into the thread and say "john mccain dying is loving funny as hell" (it is tho) i came in saying francis is being ratfucked, which is a hilarious political term, and i like saying it as much as i like making john mccain crashing planes jokes. like excuse me for seeing someone telling me my soul is in danger for making jokes about mccain as an opportunity to defend talking poo poo about dead people who were poo poo in life. the intent of the original post i made that sparked the discussion was within the scope of the thread, and what happened afterwards was a result of people being mad about me making mccain crashing plane jokes. so like, you can say "that don't belong in this thread" all you want but the truth is i didn't just come in here and say "john mccain crashed three planes and yet only died once" i came in here saying "francis gettin ratfucked. ratfucked is funny. john mccain crashing three planes also funny" and rather than focus on ratfucking, both its application to the francis situation and as an actual term in politics, people focused on mccain. so like

context, i guess

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the difference between paul and pseudo paul is easy to spot; everything you like is by paul, everything you hate is pseudo paul

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

the counterpoint to this is i have seen some internet leftists say that there is no such thing as differences of intelligence, capacity, or talent among human beings, which is also absurd

i think the leftist stance is that under capitalism, it is impossible to determine if there are such differences between individuals, because the largest contributor to poor test scores, failure to graduate (either high school or college), and poor life outcomes in general is poverty. are there some people more talented than others, or are some people economically well off enough to practice consistently? are some people smarter than others, or are some people able to have parents who have the free time to engage with their kids schoolwork and encourage them in their efforts? there are people able to shine under poverty, but how many more would be able to without poverty?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
“who are you?”

“i’m you but racist”

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

i know, right? like if someone with your beliefs met an an-cap or a guy who read herman hoppe. like you after you step into the baited trap or ate the poisoned apple

speaking of, i bring you a peace offering, you'll love this
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/3ucp8y/i_was_beat_up_by_left_anarchists_in_greece/

i love that story so much

those greek anarchists gave that fucker so much hospitality

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
being able to be saved without any effort, or be damned regardless? it’s a theology that demands little and expects less

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not to be rude, but isn't the possibility of being saved just for asking one of the major selling points of your sect?

yeah, but like in a cool way

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it virtue signaling if roy moore supporters and people who say terrib poo poo to sex abuse survivors latch onto the vagina letter and call francis a sex predator protector

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have bad news about the kinds of people who get married young in this country

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

you'd think going from "#metoo is fake, those women just want attention, and also maybe they wanted it" to "actually, the completely unsubstantiated and sometimes demonstrably wrong allegations against the holy father are very correct" would have given them such extreme whiplash it should have broken their necks

but alas, they're still posting

nah they’re consistent; they hate women so they don’t believe it, and they hate the pope so they believe that

btw i’m hanging out with my mom and can’t effortpost but when i can i’m gonna explain what i think is similar and different about calvinism and jodo shinshu and the social/political impact each has, with the admission i don’t know much about calvinism beyond sinners in the hands of an angry god

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think quiverful do, but it was not clear under 18 is what was meant

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
generally why i’ve grown distrustful of right wing hand wringing on catholic sex abuse. it seems less like genuine concern and more like an expedient means to know nothing style anti-catholic rhetoric in a way that catholic republicans can’t really oppose without siding with child molestation (unless they pull a roy moore and say it was a deep state conspiracy except for the one guy francis the communist supposedly ignored, that one is real)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Conservative American Catholics won't be happy until there's an red, white and blue cassock wearing, liberty loving, Bible thumping, American born Pope.

so it's true that they'll never be happy

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly some of the hierarchy come off as whiny babies, like the people who didn’t want the statute of limitations increased for child molestation

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it’s not like the situation in ukraine is peaceful

whether it’s a provocation or not poo poo’s already bad in the ukraine so whatever

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

love to drink bad water and poo poo myself to death

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what is the word for those kinds of people

a lot of people on the internet use "traditionalist" for those types, but that's incorrect since they're presumably not anti-vatican ii. i use "campus ministry types" but even that seems a bit off. what do you call someone who is scared to come into contact with someone who might, gasp, have a different opinion than them about the church?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i genuinely think if there was a council that said "abortion is okay and gay marriage is fine" these people would 100% flip, their only ideology is "the church says it's true and it's true because the church said it" which is... sad

these people have no ideology, they just parrot blind faith for the sake of it, and is that really BELIEVING in something?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that looks like a juzu tho

Cythereal posted:

Relax, it's not a magic spell and God doesn't fuss a slightly different word choice.

https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbellishedDimwittedCoelacanth.webm

please don't mirror my criticism of the church's approach to eucharistic prayer

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://emojipedia.org/prayer-beads/

yeah these mostly look like juzu

MAYBE lg could be something else, but emojipedia and apple and facebook? deffo juzu. heck, emojipedia even has the dharma and sangha beads

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was always taught it was latin illiterate people mishearing it as "hocus pocus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean some of the earliest liturgical documents are rubrics for what liturgies had to contain, not specific prayers that needed to be said, and there's historical examples of things like eucharists with water instead of wine or single substance communion, things that would be considered heretical today

so like there's some precedent for loosening restrictions, especially since some of them put undue financial pressure on impoverished communities where wheat is scarce and expensive and wine is made of rice instead of grapes