Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Hi thread,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this came from any denomination in particular or if there's a name for this style of crucifix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Pellisworth posted:

I'm just spitballing but that looks very old, almost certainly pre-Reformation. So it's at least Catholic, and might well be pre-Schism.

It looks like there are little four-leaf clovers. Perhaps it's Irish or from another Celtic Christian tradition?

I put some more close ups here: https://imgur.com/a/v9UKX8E

Ah right, they do look like clovers! I found it at a car boot sale in the North West of England so I'm sure it can't be genuinely old itself but a replica of an actual item that does exist somewhere maybe? Or someone just trying to evoke that general look? I can't really tell what material it's made of, some kind of metal that's all, there's blue felt (I think) on the back.

I'm just quite curious about it, thank you for you thoughts!

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

The Phlegmatist posted:

Anyway, it doesn't really add up. The corpus used is Christ the King or Christ the High Priest, which was insanely popular throughout continental Europe from about the late 10th cen. to the Reformation. The trifleur cross was also very popular throughout the Gothic period.

But IHS XPS is found on very few crucifixes during that period, since everyone in the west switched to INRI. IHS XPS is found on some older crucifixes but they're mostly Anglo-Saxon and old (older than when Christ the King became popular to put on a crucifix in the west.)

And also those little clover stamps kinda look like four-way medals. Which are old but nobody was placing them on crucifixes AFAIK. It's either the greatest art find in the history of the Catholic world or someone's weird high school art project.

This was all very fascinating, thank you! (Actually does anyone have any recommendations for books that talk about the history of religious iconography like this? Maybe just for one period or another since it's probably a massive topic).

And thanks to everyone else as well, the late Victorian idea makes a lot of sense.

HEY GUNS posted:

The only place it truly falls down, imo, is the coloring on the corpus and the holy name: it's supposed to be that cool old enamel but to me it looks like paint

I'm pretty sure it is paint, yes. Also I'm sure it's just from how it's been handled but the pattern of the way the gold colour has rubbed off makes it seem like people were rubbing Christ's belly for good luck like a Buddha figure, ha.