Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
When I went to confession yesterday there was a uniformed police officer standing in the line. The church had a separate chapel for confessions, (no reserved Eucharist), but I hated that a firearm was in the church. But I have a thing about firearms in general, and I want everyone to receive sacramental forgiveness and reconciliation, so if that’s the only time he could bring himself to confess, that’s more important. Note this is would not be my opinion for civilians with firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm consecrating myself to Our Lady of Sorrows

Is this a thing?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Excellent homily by the priest about the grand jury report. My favorite line “This great Evil must be exposed. This great Evil must be cleansed from the Church like Christ cleansed the Temple in Jerusalem.”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

Thank you, I will. I'm sure she's a lovely woman and we wil have a nice time.

“Uh... hello.... I’m from the internet...”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

rosaries and prayer beads. i just bought some prayer beads (made with paracord lol) and i want to talk about 'em. post yours, post pretty pictures, talk about praying the rosary or the orthodo prayer rules that require beads, etc.

I have 33, 100, and 300 Jesus prayer ‘ropes’ that are made of ebony (33) and olive wood (100, 300) beads. I use them to count the Trinitarian Jesus Prayer when I am having mental/emotional disturbances related to my bipolar because it helps me focus or simply give me a goal to reach. Otherwise, if I’m not swinging or anything, I don’t count I simply be in the presence of God. Oh, and I reserve my 300 ‘rope’ for retreats.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 24, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

On a much heavier note, the child Andrew for whom I asked for prayers in the last thread died last week, so I ask for more prayers for him from those of you who pray for the dead.

A little lighter of an aside: Does anyone else dislike the phrase "fell asleep in the lord"?

I am very sorry for your loss, I will pray for you and Andrew.

I think “fell asleep in the Lord” is an excellent way to describe the Dormition of Mary, but that’s about it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

tag urself

I'm a Chaotic Good wizard

Can we do other posters?

Hegel is a Neutral Good Gunslinger/Wizard.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Serious and disturbing allegations against Pope Francis.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

The thought crossed my mind; I hope Pope Francis is innocent of the accusations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ukraine Orthodox Church seeks “spiritual split” from Russia

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

chows are my favorite breed of dog

Mine are Newfoundlands.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Please pray for me, I am starting a prayer "retreat" that'll last a little over a month. I have been in a really bad place: missing way too many Masses and pretending it's OK because of my anxiety, not praying, and my swings and sleep issues (which no one can even figure out even after having them for literally 20 years and doing 3 extensive sleep studies) are just hard to deal with. I am blessed that I was given a good foundation in ministry, therapy, and personality that I haven't been too much of an emotional burden to my friends and family, and I don't make it a habit of lashing out at people. (Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.) Anyway, if you could offer up some prayers for Thirteen Orphans I would really appreciate it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

So at Mass today the priest changed a word during the Eucharistic prayers. It went from "and gave the chalice to his disciples," to, "and gave the chalice to his friends." Now, I'm pretty sure that changing the words of consecration invalidates the sacrament, but I'm also pretty sure that the words that must be said and can't be changed don't start until "Take this, all of you, and drink from it..." Am I correct that the priest didn't do anything to invalidate the sacrament? I ask because if he did I would feel the need to contact the pastor. I'm not too concerned with minor "liturgical abuses" but messing with the validation of the Eucharist is a big thing.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Tias posted:

If any of you know which saint takes cares of dreams and sleep troubles, I'd appreciate a prayers for his/her intercession. I'm in a sleep lab today and tomorrow, all wired up like a ghetto cyborg, in hopes that they can monitor me to find out why I have the sleep disorders that have been wrecking my sleep quality for most of my life. If they find something, it's going to be a real game changer for me.

God be with you, I’m praying so hard that they find something.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does anybody disagree with me that maybe we can hold off on the demon stuff until we get all people food, medical care, and a safe place to live? i hold this opinion because otherwise I feel like even talking about someone being possessed is far too easily abused by people with power and agendas

In many non-Western cultures, the experience of the human person in a spiritual world means that the influence of spirits, demonic or otherwise, is an extremely important part of their worldview, even effecting their everyday life. My closest friend being part Haitian, I see this in his and his family's life. "An angel came to me in my sleep last night, and asked that I make a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Theresa" is a sentence his mother said to me without a hint of thinking it was unusual or rare. I find it uncharitable, then, to hand-wave away the experience of angels or demons, specifically because of how important it is in these cultures.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Worthleast posted:

I simply do not trust any priest with that sort of personal following. The last priest I knew that had people fawning over him like that has his name in the Pennsylvania grand jury report.

You familiar with Fr. John Corapi? The first time my mother saw him on EWTN she immediately said, "I don't trust that man, at all."

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 13, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i find it a bit uncharitable that you are same-ing my post with people i've never met and a culture i'm not super familiar with. you have not established that your friend's mom and I speak about these things in the same way, therefore i find it inappropriate that you use this (in part) to tell me not to say what i said

I didn't mean to be uncharitable, you asked if anyone disagreed with your statement and I told you I did and why I did. It wasn't meant to be an attack.

EDIT: Oh, I re-read my post, I didn't mean to imply YOU were uncharitable, but it would be uncharitable to dismiss them once they were understood. That was unclear, I apologize.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

are not the orthodox western?

I should have just said “Afro-Caribbean” culture because that’s who I wanted to talk about.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Russian Orthodox Church Freezes Ties with Constantinople

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Hey everyone, sorry to come Kramering into the thread but I have a quick question.

Is there any faith that has an emphasis on suicide as a form of atonement? I can't seem to find any articles on it at present. Thank you!

One thing comes to mind: the Jain religion has a ritual where the ascetic stops consuming anything, because life is taken no matter what one consumes. It is purity by suicide, though not necessarily for atonement, I think.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

japanese self-mummifying aescetics

Oh that reminds me! The “marathon monks” of the Tendai school of Buddhism perform a religious pilgrimage that is physically grueling. If they fail to finish the pilgrimage they must commit suicide as “atonement” for their “sin.” (Obviously neither in a Christian sense.)

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 17, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

My aunt’s husband died unexpectedly this afternoon. Please keep him (B.) my aunt (S.) and their 14 year old son (A.) in your prayers. Especially A., he has autism and has a very hard time expressing and processing emotion.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Epicurius posted:

There is a lot more personal experience discussion than you normally see in an academic paper, from my experience of academic papers, at least.

You see that a lot in more modern theological writings, Knitter himself writes in that style.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Fair enough. I'm 20 years out of anything approaching academia, and most of the papers I tended to read and write dealt with the formation of national identity in the 19th/20th century, It doesn't lend itself to that kind of writing.

A good friend of mine (History and Politics double major) was asked by my then girlfriend to give her paper a quick read through for clarity and punctuation. He came to he first instance of the word “I,” lost his mind, and I had to explain that in modern theological discourse, that’s status quo.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Night10194 posted:

My masters in Religious Studies was 5 years ago and I try to avoid ever using I in academic writing.

As you should, but Theology as a discipline is different. Theology started being more permissive about personal experience precisely because it began to recognize that theology as a science, theology as purely objective, missed the core of theological reflection, the individual encountering theology and who they are that shapes and colors that encounter. Senju’s paper has its flaws, but it perfectly illustrates where theology is moving, at least more liberal theology, and especially queer/gender/sexuality theology.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Good news, the student I mentioned was released from treatment and will be back to school after a few days' rest!

Thanks for the prayers folks :)

God be praised.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Any theology that tries to cut out the Harrowing of Hell is a sad theology I want no part in.

Fortunately it’s in the Apostle’s Creed.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pershing posted:

ALSO, my next chemo round is tomorrow. Please give me your intentions so I can pray on them while I'm sitting.

Prayers for you. Please pray for my aunt, S., and cousin, A., as they try to find their new normal after my uncle’s, B., death.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I was recently reminded of the one joke I heard probably 20 times from my theology teachers in college. I suspect all theology majors in English speaking countries have heard it.

"Why were the priests in Jesus' time sad? Because they were sadducee!"

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

you're an honorary Lutheran for that dad joke

modern Lutheranism is a faith based in equal parts on liturgical shitposting and dad jokes

Pellisworth posted:

Do you need an ark?

I Noah guy.

:hfive:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

That would be a good avatar.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

What about Beard Law

Until my hair loss I had a long beard and long hair I wore in a ponytail. One class my Early Christianity professor said, “Honestly, the Schism was over ultimately unimportant things, well, maybe not unimportant to Thirteen Orphans, part of it was over having long hair and beards.”

That religious sister called me out!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pershing posted:

TIL that my diocese has a retreat hike for those thinking about becoming priests.

They named it The Melchizetrek.
:rock:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

More conflict in the Ukrainian fight for autocephaly.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Could someone please pray for me? Things are, well, not going great at the moment. I need help, but not sure there is anywhere left to turn.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, Have Mercy on Your Suffering Servant.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’m sorry.

Ahaha this is a perfect characterization of the LCMS.

Being Protestant is honestly just a Northern European way to be a Christian. That’s why church growth parishes who spurn German language services for guitar-bass-drums are so lovely. They’re turning their back on their culture, something I can’t even do and I’m excommunicated!

Long time no see, Luigi. Without getting too much into your private life do you have a new church community?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’m literally gay. Don’t tell my wife (she may stalk this thread actually lol)

:munch:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ukraine granted autocephaly.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Is it uncharitable to say good riddance? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paladinus posted:

One of the things that happened right before the synod in Minsk was that a Belarusian priest was banned from ministry for posting photos of Cyril in Minsk leaving his expensive car with his many bodyguards, and storming straight into the cathedral, while ignoring thousands of regular parishioners waiting outside. Yes, nice one, I'm sure that type of attitude has nothing to do with people wanting autocephaly.

I'm also 100% sure that not a single autocephalous church is going to join ROC in their schism. They couldn't even get the most argent allies to proclaim anything worded stronger than 'we are worried about Ukraine' when Bartholomew's exarchs were in Kyiv. ROC are absolutely on their own now, and they can only blame their own spite for that.

Forgive me if this is a painfully obvious question, does this mean the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is also no longer in communion with Constantinople and therefore will also close off reception of communion to those outside the Russian churches?