Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i went to an orthodox service today and a goon handed me some bread, am i orthodox now? i ate the bread

e: also i am very disappointed because my dad said orthodox services were hours and hours long and this was clearly like 90 minutes tops
No, that's the antidoron, everybody gets that, Orthodox or not. You're not Orthodox until the priest swabs your hands with oil.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 20, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

your hands? you mean the orthodox don't rub oil all over your face? weak.
No, IIRC, they do your face, too. Even your ears.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I told my priest about that a few years ago, and he said it scandalized him.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Huh. Well. Speaking of Orthodox weddings, that passage from Ephesians happens to be one of the readings at the marriage service.

Though there it starts two verses earlier: "Brethren, give thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ."

(The other reading is the Wedding at Cana.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Traditional Catholic rite has that passage as the epistle, but I've always heard the priest insist upon the man's part: Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church. And then they point out that Christ literally died on the cross for the Church.
I sometimes like to look at St. John Chrysostom's 20th homily on Ephesians, about 70% of which is directed to the husband. He exhorts men to, as Deteriorata says, put the wife's needs first, to do everything out of love for her, and he specifically condemns domestic violence. "For what sort of union is that, where the wife trembles at her husband? And what sort of pleasure will the husband himself enjoy, if he dwells with his wife as with a slave, and not as with a free-woman?" He even suggests that men have the heavier responsibility, since we're the ones specifically commanded to love our wives--in other words, to sacrifice and endure for her sake.

He also talks a lot about the dangers of greed for a marriage.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

After some digging, I found a different version, with no anti-semitic bits:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

i've got this hunger for orthodox poo poo right now and r/orthodoxchristianity is too small and too slow moving. are there any other forums out there that don't suck, or should i just find one of you at random and text about theology all day

I used to post at Ship of Fools, though I kind of developed a similar "too small and too slow moving" issue. But you might give them a shot.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

the tradcaths whose blogs i've looked at don't believe in medjugorje, but the devout and weird Vatican II Catholics i know are all about it. the tradcaths are more into fatima, i think. but it's been a long time since i've been out of that world

I never knew any Charismatic Catholics, but when i was in high school the parents of my two best friends were deeply devout and edging into weird territory. in retrospect I wonder if they might have been involved in that?
I think I've mentioned it before, but my mom once visited a Charismatic Catholic church that was run by our old priest, and she mostly found it dull, and thought they were trying too hard.

I may have also mentioned the time my parents went to a shrine in Alabama I think is associated somehow with Medjugorje, and it creeped them right out.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

All I really remember is that there were apparently these kids working there, asking them these really intrusive questions. Not sexual, or anything, but beyond regular small talk. I'd have to ask them how much they remember. We had an extensive discussion on whether this had anything to do with the 37th parallel, which is apparently associated with the paranormal.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Epicurius posted:

They're the creepy cult guys who are fighting with the Bishop and EWTN, right?

I believe it's the exact one.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

That's exactly what it means; it tends to be pretty common in Orthodoxy. I have nothing against it, though I haven't exactly taken it as my own. I still stick with "passed away" or "died."

May Andrew's memory be eternal.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Has anybody actually tried reading Moldbug's manifesto? I could only get through parts three or four. It's even more tl;dr than tl;dr.

Tias posted:

Almost none of the DE are techno-utopists or transhumanists, they only care about hating others and technology (save for their dark web safe space) rarely scratches that itch well enough.
The weird thing about the DE is that a lot of them are Silicon Valley types. IIRC, one of the first people to really hype it up in the early '10's was some trans Google employee who claimed to be a big part of OWS.

Or maybe it's not weird, because if tech companies have proven anything, it's that they do not have a healthy relationship with democracy and justice.

Senju Kannon posted:

“who are you?”

“i’m you but racist”
Worst "We're not so different" villain speech ever.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 29, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There's a UK flag in the corner you can use to switch to English: http://basilica.ro/en/twelve-philippine-women-baptized-in-cyprus/

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And then you get the people who want to talk about Teh JewsZionists and white genocide then respond to pushback with "What even is racism, man?"

EDIT: r/Catholicism seems like it could really use some version of Godwinopoulos's Law (first person to impugn someone's orthodoxy/tell them to go to confession loses and gets the post deleted).

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 9, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

At least the A-1 sauce is interested in other foods. If anything, the really pernicious sauces are the packets at Taco Bell. Those have creeped me out for ages.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Is it actually possible I've known about Hyperdox Herman longer than Hegel?

https://twitter.com/NostromoSerg/status/1040398864057028608
https://twitter.com/NostromoSerg/status/1040398975524909057

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdkHuogVkw

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I love how John Belushi counts because of that one appearance in Marvel Team-Up.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well, in that case, can you recommend a place to start with him? I looked through Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future a few months ago, and I'm still kind of salty over his comments about science fiction.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

I think most of the things he says that we reject are due to the fact that it was the 70s. When he talks about New Age religions, like it's California in the 70s and culty little groups really were everywhere and some of them really were harmful.
I'm entirely inclined to assume it's something about California itself. Just this last weekend I was reading up on Jack Parsons, the rocket engineer who helped start the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and, oh yeah, teamed up with L. Ron Hubbard to perform a black magic ritual based on Aleister Crowley's ideas that summoned a hot redhead for Parsons to marry--and all this in the 40's.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Tias posted:

I used to date a hermetic, and the hot redhead (Marjorie Cameron) was already present IIRC, the ritual was to to use her (imbued as she was with Babalon, a powerful spirit entity) to conceive a magic child with Parsons.
Everything I'd read said that Cameron had showed up after the ritual started, though she did of course participate in them as they went along.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure my priest has a salary, but then, according to our bishop, our parish is home to people whose fundraising and accounting are apparently directly responsible for keeping the whole Metropolis solvent. So we lucked out in having a good budget.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

This weekend I'm going to a conference for Orthodox young adults in Atlanta, and I thought the thread would be interested to know about the party they're having on Saturday. The theme? Silly hats.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Sure, the Octo-Mary seems gentle and inviting, but then you get too close, it takes off its disguise, and...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Twitter account. You never know sometimes.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And Mt Athos, and the Greek US Archdiocese.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Nope. As I said in the Reddit thread, GOARCH is under the EP, the Church of Greece is autocephalous.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: the more fucks we give the more russia wins, since their soft power relies on persuading the world they are the leader of all the orthodox (lol)

Oh yeah. I never heard Ukraine come up once at my parish yesterday, so I think our priorities are straight.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

If you mean ROCOR, that would, I believe, put it under the MP's jurisdiction. Otherwise, it might be under the OCA, which is autocephalous and not bound by the MP's decision.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The way I sometimes describe it to people is like if you had separate French, Italian, Austrian, Spanish, and Irish Catholic Churches, each with their own Popes, and all with American dioceses on top of each other.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think we ever did a production of it, but we definitely read it.

Of course, I went to a Catholic school, so probably not quite the same curriculum.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

that church is not creepy, it's adorable
It reminds me somewhat of the church in Eklutna, Alaska.

But if that's what Vice considers "creepy"...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I like how they arranged the iconostasis to conserve space.

Fake Edit: Ah, they changed the headline so it no longer says "creepy." Good for them.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Aren't butterflies and/or moths associated with the soul in some cultures? There's a Serbian vampire novel where one flies out of the monster's mouth when the villagers stake him. They fail to kill the moth as well, so the vampire's able to survive, albeit in diminished form. IIRC, the translator mentioned the butterfly/moth's observed fondness for corpses as a possible influence, but I'm at work and my mom has my copy, so I can't check right now.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 9, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

There was some early modern inquisitor who wrote a book against witch hunts pointing out that even if you caught a genuine witch and broke her with torture she would, being influenced by a being of pure evil whose job is tricking people into sinning, obviously give you false information to encourage you to lynch innocents
There's also an Eastern saint whose father acquitted a witch and successfully defended his verdict to the emperor himself. The emperor was an iconoclast, so the incident was used by the saint's biographer as an example of why iconoclasm was such a mistake.

I know it was several pages ago, and I meant to comment on it earlier, but this all relates to my general thoughts on Castlevania. The second season has priests who are so paranoid about witchcraft that one of them freaks out at a centrifuge moving on its own. And how about the way the clergy pronounce "God" like it has about five extra H's? "Nothing to do with GHOHHHDH???

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Also Castlevania is good, don't get too hung up on the inaccuracies of an American cartoon based on a Japanese video game inspired by old American monster movies very loosely based on 19th century British novels that might have borne some passing resemblance to Eastern European folktales.
That has been an important check on my feelings about it since the first season.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah after i posted about how mad it was making me i reflected upon the fact that the games have even worse ham-fisted Western church imagery. also you can burn witches and evil scientists alive by throwing holy water on them and you can hunt bats by using a crucifix as a boomerang
I tend to focus more on how the games tend to be set in a generic "Europe" even when it's labeled as Romania--hence the cast of characters with obviously French, Spanish, and German names. Appropriated Christian imagery is pretty much baked into vampire mythology at this point, so it's hard to resent that too much. (He said, recalling the draft of a vampire novel he wrote where a Theotokos icon saves the day.)

None of which has ever detracted from my enjoyment of the games, of course. I've just been replaying Symphony of the Night, and thinking there is something to be said for the fact that the son of Dracula himself can wield the Bible, the Body of Christ, and the Holy Cross against demonic forces.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Now, the important question is could he be safely baptized or would it count as holy water for purposes of bursting into flame?
That's a good question. On one hand, he's never hurt by his own holy water, but it definitely hurts if Richter uses it on him.

But that may be more a factor of Good Guy Bullets vs. Bad Guy Bullets than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There's also Christ as "the lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world," which leads to the interpretation that the crucified Christ is himself the imago dei that humanity is based on.