Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw a commercial for 23&Me and started looking into it. There's also a kit from ancestry.com that's a lot cheaper.

Have any of you tried one out? Not sure if it's worth the money. Also some people learned some stuff about themselves that they wished they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you do it, your bodily fluids will be forever owned by a corporation and the government. Ancestry tests have been used to put people in jail before, and your insurance company is definitely going to be interested to learn that the past 5 generations of your family had super cancer ebola aids.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I make it a point to give my DNA in one form or another to everyone

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i want to do that the same way i want to go down to the police department to make sure they have my fingerprints on file

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I did and it didn't really tell me anything I already knew. I'm whiter than wonder bread. Also these tests are based on single nucleotide polymorphism testing and statistical analysis, so that 0.1% Mongolian on your result may be a bit speculative.

I used 23 and me.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You idiot, don't give your genome and the rights to it to some shady corporation. I know it's cool and interesting, but don't loving do it. Don't touch that hot stove, you gonna regret it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you do it, your bodily fluids will be forever owned by a corporation and the government. Ancestry tests have been used to put people in jail before, and your insurance company is definitely going to be interested to learn that the past 5 generations of your family had super cancer ebola aids.

Yeah this. Don't pay to give your DNA to corporations just to learn a little about your past, of which the info is likely dubious anyway.

https://www.newsweek.com/40-percent-home-dna-test-results-could-be-wrong-868448

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah but have you tried the one where you send your poop in the mail op? Poop in the mail. :downs:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My brother did. It said we're white and not choctaw like my dead grandma used to insist. He did it for a university research project on human migration and not an as-seen-on-tv kit, so hopefully the rothschilds or the cia or jeff bezos or whoever aren't using it to railroad my family into death camps or whatever.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 19, 2018

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Nah but have you tried the one where you send your poop in the mail op?

Only recreationally, not as a test

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Serious post:

It’s awesome that they’re starting to catch serial killers with this.

I really hope they catch Zodiac.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I tried ancestry, pretty much confirmed I'm a mutt of northern european heritage.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Robokomodo posted:

Serious post:

It’s awesome that they’re starting to catch serial killers with this.

I really hope they catch Zodiac.

They gonna catch YOU, cause most of the data is unreliable but your public defender will not be allowed to even mention that fact to the jury. You might be murdered by the state for no reason because of this poo poo. Don't do it.

One of the most famous police hunts in my country has been been for the "Phantom of Heilbronn". She was supposed to be some brilliant femme fatale killer that murdered countless people, was involved in numerous heists, robberies, cop killings etc. Police had a task force looking for her from 1993 to 2009 when it finally came out that the cotton swabs they used to collect DNA samples were never intended for that purpose and it was all just some mistake. The woman was some (polish?) lady working at the cotton swab factory

e: the funniest part of this is that they only got suspicious after they found DNA from a famous Nazi terrorists cell at a child abduction side and it spread like wildfire in the news and everyone started going :wtc: That's when someone with a functioning brain actually started asking questions and trying to figure it out

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 19, 2018

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
My mom did one of these, but I don't know what brand. It gave her some results about being Nth percent French, Nth percent Italian, yadda, yadda. I asked her what percent Scottish it gave her and she replied "Oh, no, it said we're not Scottish at all." I reminded her that my grandparents came over on a boat from Scotland 5 years before she was born, and she kind of vapor-locked for a few minutes.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's all fake bullshit so they hand your info over to ICE

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
it says im your dad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it said that i was *checks letter* gay, from a long line of gays. i'm not sure how that works, but okay.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, it said that i was *checks letter* gay, from a long line of gays. i'm not sure how that works, but okay.
its not usual for the results of a cheek swab to include so much semen

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I have not but I'd kinda like to, if only to know specifically which group of shitbags is responsible for my current state of affairs

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I did one, just to confirm what I already knew, I really am black from the waist down

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I did one, just to confirm what I already knew, I really am black from the waist down

You have diabetes? :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nah but have you tried the one where you send your poop in the mail op? Poop in the mail. :downs:

PM me your mailing address and I'll gladly do this.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose Oquendo posted:

PM me your mailing address and I'll gladly do this.

No.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Just took a huge dump in one of those sidewalk blue-boxes.

Was I supposed to put a stamp on it, or what?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
No, because I'm not a mixed race American mongrel. I know exactly where my pure blood comes from

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

feelix posted:

No, because I'm not a mixed race American mongrel. I know exactly where my pure blood comes from

ah, backwoods incest. nice, that sidesteps the entire question of ancestry.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ah, backwoods incest. nice, that sidesteps the entire question of ancestry.

AGREED

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm quarter-Goku.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
i'm anime on my dad's side

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
It's really only useful for white people, in my experience. All of my cousins can now break down their lineage from 4-5 different European countries by the percent (it's really an uphill battle for me to try and explain why my accountant cousin can't keep make anti-semitic accounting jokes because she's now, as she says, a 'Portuguese jew'). My brother and I are South Korean, though, and our report was basically a big blob over east asia like "Mongolia is also a place in this region, maybe u got some of that? lol who knows"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I gotcha you sly dog you. You mean that your lumbar anterior longitudinal ligament is wider and longer than others. Cool!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
They don't give much good info in the results, so you kind of have to dig a bit to figure out what half of it means.
Like I more or less know what all my background is, some of it coming to the US less than 100 years ago (barely).
Like I'm basically half English, and a quarter Italian and a quarter Irish.
The test I did (ancestry.com) showed a bunch of this as Iberian and Caucasian/North Middle East.
If I were dumb or something I'd be waltzing around going on about being a Spanish-Armenian now or something.

But apparently all that means is really prehistoric stuff. Like apparently tons of people with British Isles ancestry show up as Iberian, because apparently a lot of the cavemen or whatever traveled into West Europe via what is now Spain, and so yer creaky old DNA shows up like that.
Same with South Italian ancestry showing up as being from over by Turkey, more goddamn cavemen entering europe from a different direction.

loving cavemen.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh i just did mine and thank god im white

And now the cops know too.

Lucky I never came on any of my victims.

Robin Williams fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 19, 2018

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Same with South Italian ancestry showing up as being from over by Turkey, more goddamn cavemen entering europe from a different direction.

loving cavemen.

youre a bizarre racist oval office

Robin Williams fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 19, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

"MooRs" weren't from the Caucasus/Anatolia, you dumb poo poo. They were a mix of North Africans and Arabian peninsular folks. More the former the later in history you go.
Nor is my Italian background Sicilian or even Calabrian/Apuglian, it's from some deep backwoods mountains up between Rome and Naples.

Ancestry has different distinctions for the wider Middle East, not just MIDDLE OF EAST. The general lowland Middle East is a separate category from the Caucasus/Anatolia. They're like really different places in spite of being near to each-other! They even have a separate category for North African.
But sure randomly call me racist for no reason while drawing all the "sand people" into one big undistinguishable blob lol. Woke af guy over here.

EDIT: Dude trying to educate me on poo poo with wikipedia links about Norman conquest mixed in with ones about Arab conquest. Motherfucker the Normans were French vikings, what does that have to do Caucasus dna lol.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 19, 2018

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
It’s Moops

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol did my man think I was calling Turks cavemen.
I'm talking literal Quest for Fire cavemen crawling around during prehistory. Ron Perlman and everything.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
i did mine because i'm a loving idiot and found out i'm partially spanish and then the rest is native mexican and south american, which is pretty cool.

gov gonna use my dna to have me killed, so what

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol the fuckin' baby edited his posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I ordered one around November of last year, but I've been hesitant to do it and send it in because of the DNA ownership thing people ITT are talking about

• Locked thread