Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no, is the answer

what do you want in your dream MMO?

i want a sandbox MMO that isn't just a gankbox and has some other poo poo to do in it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like getting rich in an MMO. Not from daily quests or raiding like everyone else, but from gathering resources or converting resources into usable items. A working player economy that doesn't suck and makes pretty good cash, with the occasional market gap nobody notices until I fill it and make a small mint. I don't like reaching sperg levels to do it though. If you need scripts and spreadsheets to compete, that's just embarrassing.

I don't expect my dream to ever be realized because it's a lot like open pvp but with money instead of dying.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
League of Legends MMO called RUNETERRA

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I want a world of warcraft clone to play when I'm bored of world of warcraft.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
mmos arent good; close the thread, forum, ban everyone in it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My dream MMO is whatever the latest kickstarter scam is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want to play whatever Brad mcquaid is making because I grew up on Everquest and I don’t like things that are different

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

I want to play whatever Brad mcquaid is making because I grew up on Everquest and I don’t like things that are different

:same: but i, like everyone else in this thread, also want to be 12 years old and happy again. that being said i am desperate for either a truly good group MMO like brad "opium pipe" mcquaid's stuff or anything thta captures the vitality of early SWG.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 20, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

eonwe posted:

no, is the answer

i want a sandbox MMO that isn't just a gankbox and has some other poo poo to do in it too

Grand Theft Auto V. Topic locked.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DancingShade posted:

My dream MMO is whatever the latest kickstarter scam is.

Ehud posted:

well, have I got a game for you! :smug:

i want that too

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doesn’t matter how good it is, anything where money is literally lying on the ground, and players have any freedom at all is going to suck.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Ragnarok Online was my first MMORPGs, back then there were no real private servers so I remember trying to beg my mum to purchase a subscription for me, she didn't :(
To answer your question, no there will never be a good MMO again, unless we get a real world equivalent of SAO that is.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

a planescape torment mmo

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
a victory condition

when somebody wins, they get added to a leaderboard and the server resets

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

I want something like an MMO version of Etrian Odyssey. Really, really good small-group dungeon crawls with a big focus on teamwork between party members and unique versions of the usual party roles. And ideally, dungeons that are more than just a line of trash encounters with some bosses breaking it up.

While that sounds perhaps more "realistic" than a truly sandbox MMO it probably isn't, because a lot of the things that make dungeon crawls fun in a single-player game would make them tedious in a game that asks you to repeat them.

While I'm dreaming, it'd also be awesome to have a game like that not rely on RNG for loot or endlessly repeating the same content for loot or tokens. Obviously an MMO needs to be able to reuse content or players will burn through it far too quickly, so instead, I'd love to see various special challenges for each dungeon that each reward different kinds of loot. That way, repeated runs aren't just doing the same thing over again, but doing it in a different way, with different constraints, remixed versions, that kind of thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My dream MMO is vanilla Dark Age of Camelot, but also I'm 17 again and have zero real responsibilities.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i want everquest online adventures 2

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ehud posted:

I want this, but understand on so many levels that if this ever happens- I won't have time to play it anyway.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i want, a good one

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
It's hard for me to say to be honest. one thing i'd liked is great character customization. I'm not a big fan of mmos that give you so few options to craft a character, whether it be classes, skills, race, and appearance. another one has to be an interesting setting that ain't just a rehash of DnD or tolkien. Not sci fi as they might be doable.

For the combat system....real time combat is ideal. A hybrid would be fine too but I'm more of an actiony gal. moreover, i want it to have some deep depth that allows for some really interesting builds. It might get ruined by meta but who cares.

quest...Ya... no fed ex quest. please. We know how much folks hate that.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'll tote around satchels of bear butts if I'm taking them across a dope and immersive world that has things like boat rides, unique zones, and secret passages (everquest)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If I saw you in heaven

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I had a buddy in high school who was way into EQOA

I still don't fully understand.

Then again I was neck-deep in Nexus Kingdom of the Winds back then so I don't have any room to talk

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
There will never be another MMO as good as your first hit. There will be stuff that comes close but never as good as that first high when it was your first experience and had all the time in the world.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i want to be raiding ice crown and not going to class again

or i want to be 12 and playing tensix (basically a battlezone mmo) all the time again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I want project 1999 but with better graphics and some modern UI

Sandbox mmos were great but too niche for most people, the golden age of mmos is gone and dead

Games like Destiny/Division could give a similar experience at least, if they'd stop sucking

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I want something like an MMO version of Etrian Odyssey. Really, really good small-group dungeon crawls with a big focus on teamwork between party members and unique versions of the usual party roles. And ideally, dungeons that are more than just a line of trash encounters with some bosses breaking it up.

While that sounds perhaps more "realistic" than a truly sandbox MMO it probably isn't, because a lot of the things that make dungeon crawls fun in a single-player game would make them tedious in a game that asks you to repeat them.

While I'm dreaming, it'd also be awesome to have a game like that not rely on RNG for loot or endlessly repeating the same content for loot or tokens. Obviously an MMO needs to be able to reuse content or players will burn through it far too quickly, so instead, I'd love to see various special challenges for each dungeon that each reward different kinds of loot. That way, repeated runs aren't just doing the same thing over again, but doing it in a different way, with different constraints, remixed versions, that kind of thing.

This exists! Wizardry Online, but it's only in Japan now. Daybreak Games use to run the American version but they shut it down a few years ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I always wanted to play this game!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
City of Heroes. More specifically, the Mastermind pet system. Pets are usually a single thing, and they're more like auto-damage, because they only get one or two moves. This is also true of many single player games.

Mastermind pets still had a limited selection of moves, but they had more than most, and included buffs and aoe and things. There was usually about 6 of them, so you're a walking army. The direct movesets you yourself had had some basic damage, but the make up of your skillset was more in buffs and debuffs to support the army.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 22, 2018

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I think Dragons Dogma Online would be a very good MMO is it every comes out in the west. A action RPG where I can freely changed classes with a single character and run around with bros taking down giant monsters by climbing them/fly around them/drop tornadoes on them? Yes please!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This exists! Wizardry Online, but it's only in Japan now. Daybreak Games use to run the American version but they shut it down a few years ago.

drat it, I missed my chance :negative:

I do remember when that was previewed and I thought it looked really promising, but unfortunately I lost track of it.

BexGu posted:

I think Dragons Dogma Online would be a very good MMO is it every comes out in the west. A action RPG where I can freely changed classes with a single character and run around with bros taking down giant monsters by climbing them/fly around them/drop tornadoes on them? Yes please!

God yes, Dragon's Dogma Online's combat looks extremely fun. It has so many classes that look like exactly my poo poo, like the Spirit Lancer (magic-using spear fighter) and High Scepter (the name isn't illustrative but it's a super agile and mobile spellsword which is my favorite kind of character). And fighting huge monsters is always the best.

I'm curious how grindy it is and/or what kind of content they have outside of giant open-world monsters. I've noticed that western MMOs (or western-style ones like FFXIV) tend to have the kind of content and progression systems I like more, but eastern MMOs are the ones with actually good combat. I really want someone to finally merge those two worlds, drat it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BexGu posted:

Check out the sub reddit for DDO. Fans of done a great job translating it to english. Playing the Japanese version is very easy.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I said come in! posted:

Check out the sub reddit for DDO. Fans of done a great job translating it to english. Playing the Japanese version is very easy.

I tired that maybe a year or so ago. There was still a bunch of stuff what was un-translated that just threw me off.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I want project 1999 but with better graphics and some modern UI

Sandbox mmos were great but too niche for most people, the golden age of mmos is gone and dead

Games like Destiny/Division could give a similar experience at least, if they'd stop sucking

I played sea of thieves and the game is loving awful while at the same time it did a few things really well. The actual quests were the most boring poo poo of all time but stalking other players and waiting for them to lay anchor to pull up beside their boat and sink it was loving magical and it reminded me of the same kinda feel as your first MMO.

There is still potential for a good MMO but literally everyone involved in the scene is too loving stupid to do anything other than dogshit EQ/WoW clones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Did anybody here play pirates of the burning sea? It was really, really good. I'm sad that its dead and nobody plays on the ghost-town server anymore.

I would love for a modern pirates of the burning sea. Stop trying to make huge 3d space games like star citizen and elite dangerous and just make a big open sea age of sail game.

BexGu posted:

It looks really cool, yeah.

My dream MMO is dark souls online. Something that punishes you on the level of everquest and makes you actually run around to get places, learn shortcuts, etc. But also with visceral weighty combat instead of EQ/WoW style auto-attacks with spells on top.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I played sea of thieves and the game is loving awful while at the same time it did a few things really well. The actual quests were the most boring poo poo of all time but stalking other players and waiting for them to lay anchor to pull up beside their boat and sink it was loving magical and it reminded me of the same kinda feel as your first MMO.

There is still potential for a good MMO but literally everyone involved in the scene is too loving stupid to do anything other than dogshit EQ/WoW clones

Yeah I played sea of thieves for a month, the ship gameplay was good but holy poo poo the game's just not done, its in shambles. There's less content in sea of thieves than there was in the original release of No Man's Sky.

Sea of Thieves ships but with actual good gameplay would be so nice, but Rare just couldn't do it.

There's that one fantasy mmo where you're supposed to be able to get ships and be pirates... but it looks super mega janky. Lots of those DayZ/Rust/Conan/etc. "survival" mmos out there which also have barely no content and try to pretend that player interaction alone makes a game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

has anyone said "there has never been a good mmo" yet itt

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EQOA was really good because it was like an EQ lite that I found extremely graphically pleasing on account of its use of bright primary colors (presumably to accomodate the slowness of the PS2). It had a lot of stuff that was just taken directly out of EQ classic, like the general zone of Norrath, the classes, the cities, and many of the abilities, but the gameplay was fundamentally different. It was made to be played with a controller so you had a tight rotation of spells that functioned like the regular spellbook, but both physical and caster classes had a nice array of them. Every class had a unique and useful role like in regular EQ and they were mirror versions slightly tweaked - like Shaman had better debuffs and a set of very cool pets (bears and wolves instead of just one wolf) and they had both SoW and a spirit wolf travel form.

The world was also, imo, better than PC EQ. It looked better and felt more like WoW than the high fantasy of EQPC but was still consistent with the overall aesthetic of Norrath. The racial home cities were loving great and there were always players in them. The zones were big and had really unique color palettes that were consistently bright and cheery. Best of all, it had a dope fast travel system that imo was a good compromise for the period and basically presaged wow's flight paths - a coach system where most settlements had a coach but you had to walk there to get the route first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDdxVP5U3k

^Here's a nice tour of all the home cities and I honestly still find it really compelling

The combat was clunky compared to modern stuff ofc but the group dynamics were great, everyone had a role and the overall difficulty was balanced somewhere between FFXI and WoW. For instance, dying wasn't a huge disaster and you didn't have to go on corpse runs, you just revived back at what was basically a bind point in any settlement (no player binding iirc but the map was thickly settled with NPC hubs that served as gathering points for groups, there was a version of Highpass Hold and settlements outside Qeynos, etc, and they all had bind points). Plus, instead of losing exp on death, you gained an exp debt, which overwrote a percentage of your current exp requirement with a little green bar over the usual yellow that represented the debt to pay off. Then it filled before your regular exp until it was full and you went back to wherever you were before that in the level. It was typically a 10% penalty.

It had leveled loot, unlike EQPC, and (iirc, again, its been over a decade) there were varying tiers of it, like in WoW and later MMOs. I think this system was awesome insofar as it mitigated twinking considerably compared to EQPC. There was useable vendor equipment and drops but principally your best loot would come from class quests, sorta like in EQPC, only there were a lot of them and every class did several at different level intervals. At level 15 you might get a weapon, then at 25 you might get pants/gloves/boots/helmet followed by a chest at 30, then the whole thing over again once or twice until you have the top notch stuff for you class. Each quest required participation from other classes too I think. There might even have been crafting because I definitely remember relying on some random people in Freeport to supply me with items I needed for my class armor.

More important than anything though, it had that sense of a broad, living world that EQ games in that era tried so hard to manifest. Boat rides, mysterious cities, secrets, extremely detailed and lovingly put together cities, etc etc. I played when I was maybe 11 or 12 and only got to level 35 as a Shaman and again as a Monk (they were my hands down favorite monk class in any game - they had a sort of Eastern flavor, obviously, but it was well articulated as an intersection of like Qeynosian virtue and foreign martial arts, and all the abilities you got felt very substantial - kick for instance acted like a regular hotbar ability with a recharge and it was buffed like hell for monks, very cool) so I didn't experience the supermajority of the content the game had to offer. I'd honestly pay full price and a sub fee for a mobile version of EQOA or something that let me go explore Neriak and Ak'Anon and especially all the Barbarian areas with a full population again.

This post got way too long so please someone read it, EQOA was so good. To get a sense of the world, maybe just click around in this video, with some scrubs running halfway across the bottom of one of the continents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-GlyoSya0

ed: I haven't finished this video yet but it also seems to be a pretty good explanation of what made EQOA so great as essentially a simplified version of the extremely complicated PNP-inspired MMOs of the late 90s early aughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFyzwxUbpoE

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 22, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

My dream MMO is dark souls online. Something that punishes you on the level of everquest and makes you actually run around to get places, learn shortcuts, etc. But also with visceral weighty combat instead of EQ/WoW style auto-attacks with spells on top.

Elder Scrolls Online has some of this, though not all. Its character building is pretty wide-open and combat is kept pretty grounded and doesn't have autoattacking (in fact, learning how to time animation canceling your light/heavy attacks into special abilities is really important for maximizing your damage). You have to pick a class when you start, but your class is really only the nucleus of your character. It provides three skill lines, but there are also weapon-specific skill lines, guild skill lines (Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc.), armor skill lines, etc., and anyone can use those, so any class can be a physical DPS, magic DPS, healer, or tank.

One downside is that the balance isn't super great at the very high end of PvE, so you find a lot of samey builds recommended for players who do super hardcore raiding and stuff. Turns out when the most efficient DPS skills are skills anyone can use, everyone uses them. Casual PvE and PvP allows for a ton of potential builds, though, especially PvP.

It has Everquest-style public dungeons, lots of world bosses, and some nice big zones that reward running (or riding) around and exploring. They hide lore books all over the place, which you need to find to rank up in the Mage's Guild, and "skyshards" that are sort of like heart pieces but for bonus skill points--every three skyshards you find gives you a bonus skill point. It is pretty story-heavy, but IMO that's a strength--it has some pretty good story quests that often send you into public dungeons and have fun characters and stuff.

The combat isn't visceral and weighty, though, and it does have fast travel, though it's of the "you gotta go there first to unlock it" style.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never understood why they made an elder scrolls mmo that doesn't play at all like one of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TESO was a buggy mess with some of the most floaty and inconsequential gameplay I've ever experienced, and on top of it, the currency, inventory, and daily systems were downright insulting. TESO is legit one of the worst MMOs of the past ten years if we're only looking at non-scam ones, imo