Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It got bought by a new company who's CEO considers it his personal pet project. He's being pretty upfront about the problems they are having trying to get it to a point where they can even consider improving it, it is interesting to see.

can you elucidate? I really liked the game's basic conceit vis-a-vis skills and crafting, driving cars and doing pvp in the desert was dope, and it honestly had an excellent loot system. when did that happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Agoat posted:

A lot of them are in that price range. Aside from unusuals a lot of them are less than $3, with one's from the pre-rarity system being dirt cheap.

Now they are, 10 years later. Stuff was $10+ for most of its hayday. Game's ancient now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fruity20 posted:

I would pay good money for that poo poo.

question for you guys, if an mmo has no option to play as a human, would it fail?

That's way too broad a question.

In a fantasy mmo you mean?

Because you could definitely do like a dinosaur mmo if you wanted.

There's several car mmos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh gently caress yeah I wanna play a dinosaur MMO

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It would be devoid of creativity or fun. A raptor would he equivalent to a rogue and be described as the dps dealer. Press one to do the talon attack. The good Dino's vs the bad Dino's idea would be scrapped. A cosmetic scar on your Dino's eye will cost 980 dino bux which translates into 9.99 but half off if you buy it in 2 hours.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress you I'm gonna spec my raptor to tank and nobody can stop me

Gonna queue for dino dungeons with my raptor tank and get kicked from groups all day long

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
eve but you can pilot the ships like in elite dangerous

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

eve but you can pilot the ships like in elite dangerous

So... elite? :psyduck:

Not sure what its critically missing that eve has. The goonswarm? (Check out diamond frogs)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

It would be devoid of creativity or fun. A raptor would he equivalent to a rogue and be described as the dps dealer. Press one to do the talon attack. The good Dino's vs the bad Dino's idea would be scrapped. A cosmetic scar on your Dino's eye will cost 980 dino bux which translates into 9.99 but half off if you buy it in 2 hours.

Concept and implementation are two different things buddy. If you think there's no way to play as dinos and have fun, I would argue that YOU are devoid of creativity :cheeky:

We need players to be able to be vanilla humans because... *checks notes* that's real creative??

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Zaphod42 posted:

Concept and implementation are two different things buddy. If you think there's no way to play as dinos and have fun, I would argue that YOU are devoid of creativity :cheeky:

We need players to be able to be vanilla humans because... *checks notes* that's real creative??

Name me a single MMO in recent history that could even capture this well. Also elite stinks because there are almost no way to meaningfully interact with other players. You can't even trade with each other. Send money. Nothing.

Speaking of creative, your "checks note" thing is cute. It's the new *bursts into thread*. I would argue you're devoid of creativity.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Glenn Quebec posted:

Name me a single MMO in recent history that could even capture this well.

Mechwarrior Online?

I remember a line of toys from when I was a kid which was dinosaurs equipped with modern/sci-fi weaponry. I would totally be a triceratops with a rocket launcher.

dogshitboy
Dec 8, 2017
What about this new mmo boundless

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
isnt it just old MMO Oort Online

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hello Sailor posted:

Mechwarrior Online?

I remember a line of toys from when I was a kid which was dinosaurs equipped with modern/sci-fi weaponry. I would totally be a triceratops with a rocket launcher.

Isn't MWO like... an arena shooter? Like 2v2 or 3v3?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

dogshitboy posted:

What about this new mmo boundless

Alexander DeLarge made the OP for it here, which means it's never getting out of early access.

e: Apparently, official release was today. I guess there's a first for everything.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 12, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I want RIFTS as an MMO. 3 side RVR, Coalition, Federation of Magic and Tolkien.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hello Sailor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lor_uUkJkkw

Glenn Quebec posted:

Isn't MWO like... an arena shooter? Like 2v2 or 3v3?

MWO isn't an MMO but you can technically conquer the galaxy, it's stupidly implemented though.

However, there was a mechwarrior MMO in the works back in... 2001 I think? There was a beta but got cancelled.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If WoW went to a model where you only pay for expansions (i.e. no subscription), I think it would be as popular as it was at it's height. There's still a place for that kind of game.

I think new MMO games will be like Sea of Thieves or something- cosmetic stuff as progression with open worlds. The cosmetics pay for the regular content and expansions are sold for big changes or new gameplay systems.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Until we have the ability to plug our brains into computers and no lifers can be real no lifers mmorpgs have hit a roadblock.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The real roadblock is that WoW came out and it's doing to MMOs that Freespace 2 did to space sims.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Glass of Milk posted:

If WoW went to a model where you only pay for expansions (i.e. no subscription), I think it would be as popular as it was at it's height. There's still a place for that kind of game.

I think new MMO games will be like Sea of Thieves or something- cosmetic stuff as progression with open worlds. The cosmetics pay for the regular content and expansions are sold for big changes or new gameplay systems.

you realize wow still jumps back up to 10mil+ during expansion releases so why would they need to do this

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also ff14 jumps up to around 10mil during expansion releases and both games print money and retain millions inbetween release windows so they are keeping those subs for the foreseeable future, mmos aren't dead or less popular than they were 10 years ago the only thing that has really changed is idiot suits stopped pissing away money trying to make the fabled wow killer

this isn't unique to mmos either recently we saw quite a few dota/league of legend clones trying to take a piece of that market and they closed by the dozens

now trying to replicate the success of pubg and fortnite is all the rage

multiplayer game genres can only support a few titles that make the sort of bank publishers need them to in order to continue running them

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Percelus posted:

also ff14 jumps up to around 10mil during expansion releases

It doesn't. Not even close.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Wars Galaxies was the poo poo man

I mean it was buggy half-finished poo poo, but it had a golden environment for people who just wanted to play mmo economy all day

It's funny, I look back on Star Wars Galaxies more favorably than WoW in hindsight, even though I wasted literally a year+ time played in WoW and only a small fraction of that in SWG. I remember buying gold online somewhere and buying an in game droid companion thing that helped out in combat. I was in college at the time and was poor, but I remember seeing Jedi accounts going for like $1k+ and my cousin and I were really tempted. ( We probably would have got scammed, so glad we didn't. )

I don't think the traditional model of MMO gameplay really works anymore. Nothing ever stuck like WoW. Combat is a huge issue for me, pushing buttons on a cooldown just isn't really fun. I can't even imagine a scenario where I would play a single game/MMO for years like I did with WoW, but to come close would probably be a Monster Hunter or Earth Defense Force type game.

The other issue is content. Doing dungeons and raids over and over again just doesn't have the same appeal like back with early WoW. So any current game trying to do a game as service situation or MMO style content just doesn't seem like it will have a similar lasting appeal.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 13, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Percelus posted:

you realize wow still jumps back up to 10mil+ during expansion releases so why would they need to do this

I didn't realize they were still showing their subscription numbers. I guess it would only help for retainment of those people between expansions.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shy posted:

It doesn't. Not even close.

I googled "FF14 subscriber numbers" and found this in like two seconds, c'mon son

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lizard Wizard posted:

I googled "FF14 subscriber numbers" and found this in like two seconds, c'mon son

Don't destroy the narrative. I really wanted to like Final Fantasy but the journey to get to the endgame was so boring and everyone just raves that the endgame is where its fun...I don't want to struggle to get to the gun.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

"The Final Fantasy XIV community continues to expand globally, with more than 10 million cumulative players* as of today."

That * is doing a lot of work.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Andrew Verse posted:

"The Final Fantasy XIV community continues to expand globally, with more than 10 million cumulative players* as of today."

That * is doing a lot of work.

If that's meant to indicate a footnote, I can't find it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

It's funny, I look back on Star Wars Galaxies more favorably than WoW in hindsight, even though I wasted literally a year+ time played in WoW and only a small fraction of that in SWG. I remember buying gold online somewhere and buying an in game droid companion thing that helped out in combat. I was in college at the time and was poor, but I remember seeing Jedi accounts going for like $1k+ and my cousin and I were really tempted. ( We probably would have got scammed, so glad we didn't. )

I don't think the traditional model of MMO gameplay really works anymore. Nothing ever stuck like WoW. Combat is a huge issue for me, pushing buttons on a cooldown just isn't really fun. I can't even imagine a scenario where I would play a single game/MMO for years like I did with WoW, but to come close would probably be a Monster Hunter or Earth Defense Force type game.

The other issue is content. Doing dungeons and raids over and over again just doesn't have the same appeal like back with early WoW. So any current game trying to do a game as service situation or MMO style content just doesn't seem like it will have a similar lasting appeal.

IDK, as long as there's new raids I still see the appeal. I raided in Pandaria and Draenor after not having raided for YEARS, and I still had a blast learning raid strats with my buddies.

But I agree the turn-based RPG structure of EQ/WoW is pretty ancient and needs to be replaced.

That said, the whole "nothing ever stuck like WoW" was because of WoW. If WoW didn't exist, something else would have taken all that market share. See: my previous posts about how subscriptions make MMOs inherently a monopoly economy.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't destroy the narrative. I really wanted to like Final Fantasy but the journey to get to the endgame was so boring and everyone just raves that the endgame is where its fun...I don't want to struggle to get to the gun.

They sell the ability to skip leveling and questing now, although its really expensive. Kinda dumb. Levels 1-30 of FFXIV are painfully slow if you have any idea what an MMO is, then levels 30-70 are kiiiinda fun but a general slog.

The endgame of FFXIV is way better, although as much as I prefer the graphics and story of FFXIV, WoW still appeals to me more.

That said, I got the new WoW expansion on a lark and I've already lost interest at level 114. BFA doesn't do anything new that WoW hasn't done before, which is real lazy on Blizzard's part. They kinda phoned it in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq was wow before wow. 500k subs doesn’t seem like much but at the time that was an insane amount of people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

eq was wow before wow. 500k subs doesn’t seem like much but at the time that was an insane amount of people.

No it definitely was. And Ultimate Online was the wow before eq. And then MUDs before that. There's a very clear lineage of MMOs.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Zaphod42 posted:

So... elite? :psyduck:

Not sure what its critically missing that eve has. The goonswarm? (Check out diamond frogs)

no sov, no crafting, no economy in any meaningful sense since supply/demand is so homogenous. in addition there's very little meaningful pvp since there's no limits placed on yield; there's cqc at least but for full sized craft nobody's going to want to fight when it's so easy to gang up on people. exploration gets dull after a while since it has little use; in eve finding wormholes or just knowing a station's been put down can be of decent strategic value since, again, there's a sov system so the systems actually matter to people

I could go on, elite is basically vega strike with much better flight mechanics, I can't call it an MMO given how they react to their community

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Cumulative number of players in the quote means a total number of created accounts, including free trials, not a number of concurrent subscribers.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I learned that the RuneScape mobile app is super lightweight, so I'm back on that poo poo again. I used like 6 MB of data across two days.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

No it definitely was. And Ultimate Online was the wow before eq. And then MUDs before that. There's a very clear lineage of MMOs.

Well yeah there's a very clearly a lineage but where does lineage 2 fit in?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

We have been playing Dragons Dogma Online for weeks now and this loving game never ends. There is literally 200+ hours of poo poo here. Every time we think we are nearing the last zone and endgame poo poo it adds 4 more zones and a pile more poo poo to do. Somehow we are now in some kind of Lord of the Rings story arc that has four huge zones of poo poo spanning with a loving 4 man Beholder raid and a dragon with a goddam tank cannon on its back you have to break off.

They even managed to stop Sorcerers from being broken as gently caress with a new armor mechanic past level 70 making large monster a lot harder to deal with without some prissy gently caress nuking it with meteor spam. I can't begin to tell you how surprised I am about this goddam game and it's never leaving Japan.

Come into CTS 2.0 mumble if you want to give it a shot with us. There is guild housing that we haven't even unlocked the loving front door to for Guild missions and poo poo. Right now we are just sleeping out in the rain. This game is literally the real Dungeons and Dragons the game.

Its free to play. All you need is the client, the translation patch and a VPN to log in and then you can turn it off once you are in game. 95% of the game has zero lag.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does the pawn AI improve over time, like in the original? I mucked around with it long enough to get my second pawn, but couldn't figure out the command for "stop standing in the poison water and casting condition removal on yourself over and over, the shore is literally a body's length away from you, you loving idiot".

Also, I gave Monster Hunter World a whirl based on playing DDON and I'm enjoying getting trampled by dinosaurs while trying to beat them to death with a set of bagpipes. I can't climb them, but can allegedly ride them.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 17, 2018

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Pawns will mimic how you play when you are their class against same targets. So if you are a Warrior and your pawn is a warrior and you jump on the back of all the big poo poo and literally skullfuck them to death ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6BDnGhDaU&t=298s ) then the pawn will start doing that. Also if its status effects then an Elemental Archer pawn near instant casts a status cure shot and clears it really well. You can see how some people use pawns they taught like this guy with his double archer setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-ouGqcokc&t=41s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat it I might have to give it a try

Do you have to do things to unlock classes like Alchemist and High Scepter?