Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Itzena posted:

The whole "EQ had no spoilers" thing is just nostalgia clouding memories though - sure, Allakhazam wasn't up at launch but EQStratics and three or four other websites whose names I've forgotten (EQLore?) were, and so were a bunch of message boards happily spoiling the poo poo out of everything they could find.

Partly because Verant tried to hide everything from the players and while a minority loved that, turns out most people want to know things like "So what does this new ability/spell actually do?" and " Did I miss something on this questline that had me run around three continents killing rare mobs, or is this poo poo just broken? "

Even though those things existed they weren't really useful for people like me and my brother when we had 56k at the time. Once in a while I remember looking at like pictures with short descriptions on the front page of some sites and marveling at whatever higher level content recently completed but that was about it. For my own personal experience we were young and our computer time was limited and surfing through websites at the time was a chore and would eat up valuable time actually playing EQ. I personally didn't care about being the best or completely understanding every part of the game I enjoyed the adventure and interactions I had at the time and learned from other people. But those are things that relied on youthful enthusiasm and personal limitations placed by technology, two things you can't really recapture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

uhh, i definitely remember oculus rift kickstarter happening at around the same time and crobber being excited about it. one of the (very early) playable versions even had DK2 support

it's since been stripped from the game because the game performs like absolute poo poo even in flat mode, but the dreams live on :v:

Hmmm, I mean I could see him being excited for it but they never even mentioned VR on the original star citizen kickstarter and I can't remember them ever talking about it.

Googling though, Star Citizen gonna Star Citizen lmao

Star Citizen dev in 2020 posted:

“I imagine we will implement VR in stages, e.g. for a first step just being able to view ships in the hangar or using it in a cockpit,” Silvan adds. “But a full VR implementation similar to Half Life Alyx is a whole different story. I can’t and won’t make any promises but my personal goal is to have something similar to Alyx but with a visible full body and IK. I was never a fan of just seeing your hands in VR.”

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

It was pretty normal to have a stack of printed maps from EQAtlas.

Also the case for the original Zelda on NES, not uncommon to have a stack of personal graphs.

But for modern games that's pretty unheard of, you'd just google for it rather than making your own. Applies to MMOs and normal games too. :/

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think my new dream MMO is a Warhammer game, but they actually get it right this time.

Sorry. I'm sorry. I apologize to everyone that enjoyed Warhammer Online.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure the five of them will understand.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Still waiting for the 40k MMO :sigh:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think my new dream MMO is a Warhammer game, but they actually get it right this time.

Sorry. I'm sorry. I apologize to everyone that enjoyed Warhammer Online.

You're forgiven and it's your lucky day.

https://warhammerodyssey.com/

Sorry it's mobile

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead Nerve posted:

You're forgiven and it's your lucky day.

https://warhammerodyssey.com/

Sorry it's mobile

Looking at the screenshots, this channels Warhammer Online extremely hard in its art style. I get this is a mobile game, but I am on board either way. This was announced September 18, 2019 so I wonder how progress is coming along and how much longer until its out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Still waiting for the 40k MMO :sigh:

Eternal Crusade is a pretty good demonstration of why you don't really

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still think about a possible starcraft mmo.

Too late for that now because blizzard sucks, but it would've made for an interesting DAoC-like or planetside ripoff.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I still think about a possible starcraft mmo.

Too late for that now because blizzard sucks, but it would've made for an interesting DAoC-like or planetside ripoff.

Yeah I definitely would have played that. I was never as into Warcraft so WoW didn’t do much for me. I’d be very down for more sci fi mmos (that aren’t huge scams)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Planetside 2 and Wildstar were my favorite sci-fi MMOs

which I guess is pretty damning of sci-fi MMOs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the screenshots, this channels Warhammer Online extremely hard in its art style. I get this is a mobile game, but I am on board either way. This was announced September 18, 2019 so I wonder how progress is coming along and how much longer until its out.

Looks like they started their soft launch in December so not complete vaporware.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I really liked Tabula Rasa.

EQ chat though, there was a big epic Shaman questline that I remember having to figure out via ingame clues and at one point i killed a mob that was supposed to drop something and it didn't so I just petitioned a GM in game. They show up and I explain and they just give the the item like "I don't know how this quests works but if this is what is supposed to drop here you go."

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 16, 2021

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

EQ chat though, there was a big epic Shaman questline that I remember having to figure out via ingame clues and at one point i killed a mob that was supposed to drop something and it didn't so I just petitioned a GM in game. They show up and I explain and they just give the the item like "I don't know how this quests works but if this is what is supposed to drop here you go."

Relatedly, being a guide in EQ was cool and good. I was briefly a guide and we did a GM event where we terrorized noobs in Oasis, illusioned as alligators. I ran away from the players who almost killed me, zoned into north ro and my true form as a naked human was revealed :v:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Truga posted:

uhh, i definitely remember oculus rift kickstarter happening at around the same time and crobber being excited about it. one of the (very early) playable versions even had DK2 support

it's since been stripped from the game because the game performs like absolute poo poo even in flat mode, but the dreams live on :v:

Yeah, Star Citizen went all "VR VR VR" ages ago, they made a lot of noise of eye tracking too.

Basically, any fad that ops up in the world of Video games and Star Citizen will latch onto it, hoping to pump more money out of the whales.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Elendil004 posted:

I remember having written a guide for some guildmates for this, and yet I don't remember anything (except a shark?). God it's been decades

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite Tabula Rasa story is how NCSoft waited for Richard Garriot to literally go into space, and then they fired him at that moment because it turned out he was stealing money from them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't it the other way around.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I believe NCSofts side of the story far more than I do Richard Garriot, but they are both scummy as gently caress.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How dare you speak that way about our Lord British! Also I totally forgot Tabula Rasa was even a thing even though I played it. NCSoft sure made a wide and weird array of mmos... who here played Auto Assault besides me? There's another game I totally forgot about until literally this moment.

e: As I posted this I received an email from Amazon about New World being delayed until August 31, 2021 – no surprise there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

e: As I posted this I received an email from Amazon about New World being delayed until August 31, 2021 – no surprise there.

Motherfucker! :negative: This game is never coming out.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

Also I totally forgot Tabula Rasa was even a thing even though I played it. NCSoft sure made a wide and weird array of mmos... who here played Auto Assault besides me? There's another game I totally forgot about until literally this moment.

When you have Lineage money you can afford to have several offerings.

I bought Auto Assault for $5 at Best Buy...several months after it shut down. I think there were a couple other truly dead MMOs/Online game for sale as well. At least AA had a soundtrack CD included and it was fairly decent?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, Richard Garriott did not fire NCsoft after the company relocated to space.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
More to the point there was a lawsuit (and then an unsuccessful appeal by NCSoft) and NCSoft was indeed found guilty of mishandling kicking Garriott out and had to give him $28 millions, with some of which he proceeded to take revenge upon the world by creating the company that'd eventually make Shroud of the Avatar.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of lovely publishers

black desert online is ditching the publisher in NA/EU so if you ever played that and intend to ever go look back in, go log into their website and sign up for the acct transfer from cacao to pearl abyss

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Truga posted:

speaking of lovely publishers

black desert online is ditching the publisher in NA/EU so if you ever played that and intend to ever go look back in, go log into their website and sign up for the acct transfer from cacao to pearl abyss

I don't know much about BDO but would you say this is probably good or probably bad? I just went and transferred my account, apparently I never got past level 20 lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i honestly have no idea, i'm level 61 but i only really played for a couple months during the first corona lockdowns and never spent monies because i got it free on steam

people playing seem ok with it?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Truga posted:

people playing seem ok with it?

Nah, my fiancé has been trying for weeks to get her account transferred. Customer support kept telling her that she's not the real account owner and to send a picture of her ID next to newspaper with a recent date. Finally bit the bullet and did it, they still told her she wasn't the account owner. She's probably going to lose the account and whatever hundreds of hours of went into it.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 17, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jimlit posted:

Nah, my fiancé has been trying for weeks to get her account transferred. Customer support kept telling her that she's not the real account owner and to send a picture of her ID next to newspaper with a recent date. Finally bit the bullet and did it, they still told her she wasn't the account owner. She's probably going to lose the account and whatever hundreds of hours of went into it.

Also possibly her identity.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1355070096130138114?s=20

I've never played a Ys game but if I'm understanding this right, they are remaking a single-player game as a gacha MMO

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The people behind the failed garbage fire Legends of Aria are making a new MMO! A viking themed survival game.

Right on the back of the very successful early access viking survival game Valheim.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Also possibly her identity.

Yeah that too...

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Looks like FFXIV is doing another free login campaign where you can play for 4 days for free starting today. Guess it’s time to hop back in since no other MMO is good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eox posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1355070096130138114?s=20

I've never played a Ys game but if I'm understanding this right, they are remaking a single-player game as a gacha MMO

Too bad. Would've been interested if it weren't a gacha.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

yikes, that sucks incredibly

yelling at corps publicly on social media seems to be the best way to get heard these days, if you she still cares at all after all that poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
to the surprise of absolutely noone, they're merging the original Archeage and the 'Unchained' servers

and yes, there will be another land rush because everyone will be losing their property

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:laffo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

to the surprise of absolutely noone, they're merging the original Archeage and the 'Unchained' servers

and yes, there will be another land rush because everyone will be losing their property

On Unchained I got a character to like level 15 before dropping it. There was nothing about Unchained that ended up being different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

eonwe posted:

Holy poo poo hahaha. So does that mean whoever was still playing unchained is going to get tossed into the original archeage ruleset, aka massive pay to win and all the cash shop nonsense that unchained was supposed to address?