Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
There was a thread here years ago on making hobo wine. Basically you got whatever juice you wanted, added sugar and some bread yeast, and waited. After a couple weeks you had some nasty prison hooch. it was good fun. Anyway, I just kind of kept doing it over the years. I am not a huge drinker, but I enjoy making it (also my wife is a lush). It always gets used up and my friends dig it. These days I go all posh and use 75 cent wine yeast in place of the bread yeast. WAY better. For this lot, I made three gallons of orange wine and a gallon of Tropcana Twister Tropical Punch because it was like 55 cents and I was curious. I had to add 7 cups of sugar to the OJ, the punch was already almost sweet enough. So for about 22 bucks, I am going to have (if my math is correct) the equivalent of 25 bottles of cheap hooch.

Remember: 20grams of sugar per liter=1% alcohol. I'm shooting for 10-12%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cider is the snobby upturned-noise wannaba upper-class person of hobo wine, it's literally just apple hobo wine and only gets a pass because for decades it was the predominant apple-based product

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

anyway i like to maker apple hobo wine it's easy and it tastes good, even better than the mainstream hard cider stuff like Jack's or Angry Orchard

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I make cider sometimes too. Or sometimes I do batches of beer, but use apple juice instead of water. Apparently this is called Graf and Stephen King thought up the concept in the Dark Tower series.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
what was that photo taken on, a Motorola RAZR?

are you an actual hobo with no real 1+ megapixel camera? poo poo i thought even the homeless these days had iPhone 4s at LEAST

sheesh!!!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am sorry my hobowine pictures have failed to meet your standards, rear end in a top hat.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is the absolute WORST toilet hooch photography i've ever seen in my LIFE.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Hey op is the recipe the same if I want to make apple cider?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
If you follow this recipe with apple you'll get appelwine. Which is cider without the bubbles. You'll want to bottle and add a little sugar to the bottle to reawaken the yeast sobtheybcan fart carbonation into the brew if you want cider. Appelwine is really good though.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 20, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have had most of the wines from bumwine.com, and am fully Cisco certified, so I consider myself well versed.

If Tropicana punch and yeast in an old mayo jug replicates Cisco Red I’ll put five on this

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Everything I've made before had been consistently good. Especially the blackberry and peach. Better than Cisco for sure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You could get a distill setup and make some stronger stuff, and maybe go blind.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Dregs posted:

If you follow this recipe with apple you'll get appelwine. Which is cider without the bubbles. You'll want to bottle and add a little sugar to the bottle to reawaken the yeast sobtheybcan fart carbonation into the brew if you want cider. Appelwine is really good though.

traditionally cider isn't carbonated

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Jose posted:

traditionally cider isn't carbonated

I don't know that. Either way though, it's all good.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You could get a distill setup and make some stronger stuff, and maybe go blind.

I want to try that! It's technically illegal in my state (unless you're making fuel alcohol). Maybe I'll get an RC car.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

epic username post combo

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
cider is good

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I am interested in making my own booze.

Can you format the OP a little to make phone reading a little easier please?

Also, do you have any reference sources or stuff on the method you've used?

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I made a few batches of appelvine or whatever. I switched to wine yeast after the first batch. I found apple juice concealed the cheapness more than my grape juice wine.

If I can offer one tip, it is that watermelon wine is best left to the pros. My buddy tried his hand at it and got a milk white poison. Supposedly, that's how it turns out, but I think better sterilisation techniques might have helped.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
way back in the day i would use frozen grape concentrate, some distilled water, sugar, and bread yeast, shake it up in a jug, poke some holes in a balloon, and stick it on top for an air lock.

worked great, but man did i black out a lot

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Step 1 orange juice
Step 2 turbo yeast

Step 3 booze

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I love how he didn't even remove the lids, just slipped the rubbers right over.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I tried doing this one time and it was too sweet. I guess I should have let it ferment longer.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

way back in the day i would use frozen grape concentrate, some distilled water, sugar, and bread yeast, shake it up in a jug, poke some holes in a balloon, and stick it on top for an air lock.

worked great, but man did i black out a lot

Me and my buds tried this in high school but we never got to sample the fruits of our labor. One of us was elected to store it during fermentation (not me) and they ended up tossing it

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I make cider. Lots of it. I use a 3 gallon water jug with with a hole in the cap for my air lock.
Champagne yeast gets it up to 14 percent. Instead of adding sugar i toss im two or three cans of frozen apple juice concentrate. After it is all done fermenting i toss another can or two in and bottle it in sterile 2 liter soda bottles, they can take an insane amount of pressure. After about a day or so the bottles are carbonated and i toss em in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 20, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Over There posted:

I tried doing this one time and it was too sweet. I guess I should have let it ferment longer.

Or used a stronger yeast

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Applesnots posted:

I make cider. Lots of it. I use a 3 gallon water jug with with a hole in the cap for my air lock.
Champagne yeast gets it up to 14 percent. Instead of adding sugar i toss im two or three cans of frozen apple juice concentrate. After it is all done fermenting i toss another can or two in and bottle it in sterile 2 liter soda bottles, they can take an insane amount of pressure. After about a day or so the bottles are carbonated and i toss em in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep.

That's an excellent cheap hobowine tip. I'm going to go get some big Code Red 2 liters for that GBS feel.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

If you want to add some kinda pumpkin spice or apple pie spice, pour it in a coffee filter and tie it off. Toss it in a pan of boiling juice concentrate with a bit of water. Add the liquid when you bottle.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It was an Isaac thread, OP. It's in the goldmine. I'm pretty sure he used tomato juice/paste as the base.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Here's how I do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJdzjy3ZJFs

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I mean that's pretty sweet but lol it's like the alcoholic juicero

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

kickstarter has become the new ron popeil infomercial

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i;m gomnna drink my screen

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hell Yeah posted:

kickstarter has become the new ron popeil infomercial

I'd love to see Oliver Chang explaining his new IoT rotisserie oven

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Gross.

I'm not poor so I just steal hand sanitizer, salt, coffee filters and juice from work.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1redflag posted:

It was an Isaac thread, OP. It's in the goldmine. I'm pretty sure he used tomato juice/paste as the base.

It's got a bunch of the micronutrients yeast loves. Pretty common for distilling. Can't remember if the Australian sensation was making wine but he definitely had a still going.

I used to do a bunch of this poo poo and still do from time to time. Started at about fifteen for my highschool science fair. No one said anything which when I looked back on it was weird.

Now I think about it the first time I got at all inebriated was my dads fruit wine, so it's a proud family tradition.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'd love to see Oliver Chang explaining his new IoT rotisserie oven

the new rotisserie oven THAT BROKE THE INTERNET!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Well my christmas shopping is done