Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Doing my first hobo wine, and I've had it fermenting like crazy in a bucket covered with a towel for a few days, but the whole room reeks of sulphur.

The internet says it'll go away when I put it in the secondary fermenter but man it's nasty and my wife is isn't a fan. Can I just throw a campden tablet in or whatever?

lol poo poo what are you fermenting and did you get yeast or just let that poo poo go wild as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol poo poo what are you fermenting and did you get yeast or just let that poo poo go wild as gently caress

I picked up some grape juice concentrate and mixed it with some, like, mango juice I had laying around. Maybe that's no good?

The yeast is champagne yeast so that should be fine?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dunno, someone else who knows what the gently caress they're doing will know for sure

I've had some batches turn out gross but not sulpherous like that. Maybe the bad germs got in.

I think camden tablets will maybe kill your yeast but I don't get involved with that type of poo poo at all.

I dunno if i'm doing less than a 5 gal batch i'll just buy a jug of water cause I figure it's already sterile enough and the less cleaning I have to do the less chance of blowing it. I almost always way overpitch more yeast than I actually need too, like a 5 gal packet into a 1 gallon or other crap like that. Just to make sure if something bad does get in it will be outcompeted quickly.

I mean now that I think about it even my biggest batch was less than 5 gallons, I crammed like 4.5 into a 5 gallon bucket.

Is it possible to get a tight fitting lid to this bucket? If you can what I would do is clamp down a lid on it, but make sure there's a small hole in the lid and cram some small diameter tubing in there. Lead the other end into some water and it should at least help mitigate the gross smell. Hell, gently caress it, even if you don't have a good lid for it you can probably rig up some kind of airlock to at least force any effluent gas thru water and hopefully this will help.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Sodium bisulphate or metabisulphate aren't great at stopping already active fermentation, but sometimes they can... depends on conditions like alcohol already produced and general yeast health.

When I made a red wine in January I avoided the sulphur smell by adding yeast nutrients. You can use raisins to help feed yeasts besides the stuff you can buy at brew shops, just make sure to boil them first to get the nasty bits off.

How does the must taste? If its just a little sulphur tasting or even good then I'd say wait until it finishes and stabalize/back-sweeten/age from there.

Personally I like potassium sorbate for back sweetening as it has no taste I've ever noticed and can still allow a little bit of carbonation.

Mango red wine should work just fine provided the were no germs present in the juices. I'm not sure how much mango flavor you'll get in the end product tho, grape juice concentrate is pretty strong.

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 22, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys bottle your poo poo? i just drink it all about 3 days after closing it up. think you guys are doing this hobo wine thing wrong

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no way dude I did my first batch like that and everywhere I went stunk like a brewery and I stunk like it too

give it a couple weeks at least to settle down. Besides I can't get thru multiple gallons in 3 days when 2 pints fuckin knock me out

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

marijuanamancer posted:

you guys bottle your poo poo? i just drink it all about 3 days after closing it up. think you guys are doing this hobo wine thing wrong

Hobo wine is tricky. Bottling in glass? Too fancy. Resealing a plastic bottle? Now we're talking.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Same. Oh poo poo! I forgot I had a small amount of a previous batch sitting in a coke bottle. It's become crystal clear but this was the last bottle and had a shitload of sediment that it's been sitting on

extremely amber-pissy looking and some of that sediment looks to be fuckin black. Also the bottle has slightly carbonated itself. Should I chug it?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Same. Oh poo poo! I forgot I had a small amount of a previous batch sitting in a coke bottle. It's become crystal clear but this was the last bottle and had a shitload of sediment that it's been sitting on

extremely amber-pissy looking and some of that sediment looks to be fuckin black. Also the bottle has slightly carbonated itself. Should I chug it?

Sitting on its old yeasts? I've had a peary go all alkaline on me when I left it too long. Little acidity will fix it up. Lemon juice or malic if you have it.

Of course it could be 100% fine. Maybe carefully pour it out then chug? Can't reccomend eating that gross trub.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dunno, this is the last of the heavy spice so it could be some remainders? Will report back.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The sulfur smell is very dependent on yeast, too. The Safcider yeast and Red Star Premier Blanc (formerly Pasteur Champagne) didn't give off any for me, but the Red Star Premier Classique (formerly Montrachet) has been farting up my apartment for the last couple of days. It should go away soon.

KillerJunglist posted:

Are bottle bombs common for everyone? I haven't had a bottle explode on me since I started brewing about 6 years ago. I stick to one ounce priming sugar per gallon and it's worked pretty well.

The only bottle bomb I've ever had was from a homebrewed saison that was given to me. I've never made one myself, but since I am trying something new with bottle conditioned cider I naturally assume the worst. :v: I used less corn sugar than that and the gravity readings were level 1.004 for over a week so I should be safe.

marijuanamancer posted:

You're right. :( I want to make some open-fermented scrumpy this fall to make up for it and bottle it in 3 liter Faygo bottles.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Never had a bottle bomb either, but I did get gifted some grolsch bottles that were so over carbonated that they would shoot the clasp off like a champagne cork when you tried to open them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
does faygo come in 3 liters I should start getting some

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I managed to pour out a couple cups of that old mead I had before I jogged the bottle and it got returbulated.

Tastes pretty ok still. Has kind of a weird stonk flavor to it from sitting on that bullshit, but it's not severe. Thinking of running it through some coffee filters or something.

e: yeah that poo poo's still strong but I dunno if it's worth filtering or if I should just pitch it.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 25, 2019

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

So I managed to pour out a couple cups of that old mead I had before I jogged the bottle and it got returbulated.

Tastes pretty ok still. Has kind of a weird stonk flavor to it from sitting on that bullshit, but it's not severe. Thinking of running it through some coffee filters or something.

e: yeah that poo poo's still strong but I dunno if it's worth filtering or if I should just pitch it.

How much do you have left? You could always fractional freeze it. Y'know, for funzies.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Nah it's too stonk and unless doing that would exclude that aftertaste then it's getting dumped

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Well tonight I just started my hobo-iest wine yet. It's strawberry, but I grew the berries myself and squished them up with my bare hands. Here's the recipe if you want to try it out. It'a dead simple and the acid can be substituted with lemon juice for extra hobo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I wanted to taste my most recent batch, it's good and ready to rack off of the gross dregs, but when I was pouring some I accidentally ripped the whole tap out of its socket.

Obviously a shitload dumped all over the goddamn place, but I was able to get it upright. I probably have like 1.5 gallons left. Maybe 1 1/3.

It got real badly turbulated tho. Most yeasts are sunk or stuck to the walls, but it's hazy as gently caress. Advice?

I was thinking of letting it rack and settle repeatedly cause the last time I filtered a batch the final parts came out shittier than the first bottle to pass thru. Then once it is clear let it set on the tea. This was gonna be my matcha batch.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

So I wanted to taste my most recent batch, it's good and ready to rack off of the gross dregs, but when I was pouring some I accidentally ripped the whole tap out of its socket.

Obviously a shitload dumped all over the goddamn place, but I was able to get it upright. I probably have like 1.5 gallons left. Maybe 1 1/3.

It got real badly turbulated tho. Most yeasts are sunk or stuck to the walls, but it's hazy as gently caress. Advice?

I was thinking of letting it rack and settle repeatedly cause the last time I filtered a batch the final parts came out shittier than the first bottle to pass thru. Then once it is clear let it set on the tea. This was gonna be my matcha batch.

That sucks so bad, I'm really sorry to hear that happened. You might could try a little pectic enzyme, although that only really helps clear it up from pectin haze (I've gotten crystal clear products by adding a little extra tho, so couldn't hurt).

The French Army posted:

Well tonight I just started my hobo-iest wine yet. It's strawberry, but I grew the berries myself and squished them up with my bare hands. Here's the recipe if you want to try it out. It'a dead simple and the acid can be substituted with lemon juice for extra hobo.

I love a good strawberry wine, especially a simple hobo variety. My wife decided to do her very own this time around by recreating our very first: moominpappa's summer mead (third recipe in the link).
We added a couple handfuls of strawberries to the must because why not. Since we have brewing tools this time around I found it should be about 4.5% alcohol when finished. Also used D47 yeasts instead of bread yeast this time. Hoping it'll turn out good! Or at least potable!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
obviously I need to build a centrifuge

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

D47 is super fussy about temperature. Its says 70f and it drat well means it. I tried to make some cherry wine with it and had the room temp at 68 thinking I'd be ok - not even close. poo poo was undrinkable.

Bottle bombs are pretty easy to avoid if you measure priming sugar right and make sure fermentation is complete. You can be sloppy on sugar. I prime up to champagne pressure and haven't blown anything up.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Acelerion posted:

D47 is super fussy about temperature. Its says 70f and it drat well means it. I tried to make some cherry wine with it and had the room temp at 68 thinking I'd be ok - not even close. poo poo was undrinkable.

Shhh! Don't let her hear, I'm trying to get rid of the stuff.

But seriously the last two times I used D47 it turned out all right. I bought a bunch of yeasts last time I went shopping and they ran out of ec1118 so I got four D47. Her stuff is bubbling away nicely so I guess it's good. We'll see tomorrow when we do a little taste test.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well I ended up leaving the 2 gal sitting up for a while, hopefully it didn't stonk out the flavors. I'm pretty sure that I have some old 2 gallon glass jugs, if they are ok and not disgusting i'll rack this batch onto the tea for a while.

according to my calculations I need 5 1/3 of a teaspoon per gallon of booze. I don't know how much I have but i'd say maybe a gallon and a half or more. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to measure this thing probably. Or else i'll just put it on 8 teaspoons across two jugs, that seems easier.

then I have no idea how long to leave it, so what i'll do is put one in tightly, and i'll just sample the other one once a couple days or w/e and when I like it rack it into the final bottles.

probably should get this done today, but I dunno if those jugs are any good they may be gross as gently caress and unusable.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ye olden style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLC_DRd2cg

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you have some gross cider, try dryhopping it. Try dryhopping your good cider, too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had a hopped mead that was ok, seemed like kinda a waste of mead though since it totally overpowered much of the honey

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hopping a mead seems like a great way to ruin it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so I siphoned off the mead onto the macha tea.

It looks like repulsive swamp water but smells so goddamn good I can't wait to try it.

I figure i'll just let it set on the tea until it re clears, although i'm worried this might take a really long time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so my bottle situation was hosed up and today I was finally able to get the mead off of the tea. I also had another amount that was not tea infused so I decided I wanted to blend them into one batch

I tried to do it by siphoning it back and forth between two jugs that were partly full and I don't think it mixed well so I'm going to let it settle again, mix it all for real in a container that can hold the whole amount, and then bottle it into the usual set of trash bottles I have collected

I think I have reinvented Arizona green tea but non-disgusting and it's booze

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Anyone know a rhubarb wine recipe?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No but according to Google it's A Thing. When you make it I'd be interested to see how it turns out

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I might actually go for some rhubarb wine. Yeah, I can see it.

I'd never have thought of it myself but why not.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

My wife just made some. We're currently stabilizing it because she loves sweet wine and wants to back sweeten it. We'll have it bottled Wednesday so I'll try to take pictures then.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
How much rhubarb would you need for wine? I have a rhubarb plant and thought it would be nice to use that but I might only have enough to add that on top of something else like strawberry.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd be kind of careful with rhubarb wine, you don't want to give yourself oxalic acid poisoning.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
eh just don't use the parts you wouldn't eat and don't slam the five gallons all at once it'll be fine

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

eh just don't use the parts you wouldn't eat

ok

don't slam the five gallons all at once it'll be fine

unacceptable

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
If it doesn’t kill you then what was the point of all this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
my tea mead is slowly clarifying, but one thing is super loving weird -- the second jug has a layer in it, about an eighth of an inch down from the surface there is another interface with a couple of grains of tea floating on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

my tea mead is slowly clarifying, but one thing is super loving weird -- the second jug has a layer in it, about an eighth of an inch down from the surface there is another interface with a couple of grains of tea floating on it.

Maybe you made accidental kombucha?