Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Sweet I can't wait to pay $1100 to do something I can already do for like $25 worth of supplies. The future is awesome gently caress yea science gently caress yea Elon Musk we're drinking space cider on Mars bitches

They have a stupid lovely machine for beer too. Makes less beer than a Mr. Beer for 10 times the price, plus it uses proprietary ingredient pods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ueKqQUOvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

The Dregs posted:

I've used it. I mean, if you like the taste of pumpkin spice, go hog wild. But it craps at a lower alcohol % than yeasts made for fermenting, so you end up losing a lot of potential booze for saving a buck on yeast (not counting the price of your spices)

Gonna try and swing some champagne yeast, then.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I regularly brew beer, but the simplicity of these hobo wine recipes is really making me envious.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Since its a few hours of work and a few weeks of waiting, its worth paying for the right yeast. Different yeasts have different tolerance for temperature and alcohol content and if you get it wrong you got this useless bucket of half fermented sugar water thats not doing anything

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Gonna try and swing some champagne yeast, then.

Red star champagne yeast is the tits. And cheap to boot.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
When I was living in the dorms my first year of university I took like 20 frozen concentrated fruit punches and dumped em all in a carboy with the yeast and some water.

My girlfriend at the time basically lived in my room, so we stuck it in hers and set the thermostat to max to speed things along.

It ended up being absolutely disgusting and still incredibly sweet even after fermentation finished but it DID get you crunk so I'm pretty sure we drank the whole thing.

Hangovers like you wouldn't believe. "Never again," everytime. But the first year university student is like a moth to the flame when it comes to basically free booze.

I'm pretty sure I got the inspiration from GBS as well, so our SA hobo wines have a rich and storied history stretching back into antiquity.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Got the apples!

Looks like work has me all around town tomorrow so I'll be able to pop by some place that has proper yeast.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Got the apples!

Looks like work has me all around town tomorrow so I'll be able to pop by some place that has proper yeast.

Godspeed

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, good luck. Might need your blender to enter the equation, hand squeezing all those apples through cheesecloth sounds really lovely.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
im lazy so im just going to do a gallon of cranberry juice or something, i have a wine kit store a couple blocks away for yeast

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Where the gently caress do you even buy yeast from.

A yeastery?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

McGiggins posted:

A yeastery?

I used to take it from my stepdads fridge i dont know where to buy it

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Brewer's supply stores have it, obviously, and at least around here every one of those water supply stores that sells water cooler refills carries a whole bunch of brewing stuff.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I declare this thread: Bachelor poo poo 5.0- The New Millennium of Cheap Booze.

Share your best tips for being a fuckin' wastrel bachelor.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
back in college my school had a huge orange grove on it so i got the good idea to start just grabbing a ton of oranges and going off that Recipe For Prison Pruno poem

all my friends were too scared to try it except for one of them, so the two of us got lit as heck off it and it ruled, pretty much just tasted like orange MD2020

later on i tried to build a still out of a crockpot based off a design my redneck cousin showed me but it didnt work right so we ended up just having 15 gallons of white lightening which was horrible and gave you the worst hangover ever but gently caress it lol

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Got the apples!

Might I recommend some pectolase or similar? An enzyme to break down the pectin. It'll save a bunch of time waiting for junk to settle and probably increase yield.

My current brew is feijoa and pear and I didn't do this until too late (alcohol inhibits the enzyme) and it's a gloopy mess. Apples will be better, but for probably a couple of bucks it's worth it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

McGiggins posted:

A yeastery?

Amazon

Nooner posted:

later on i tried to build a still out of a crockpot based off a design my redneck cousin showed me but it didnt work right so we ended up just having 15 gallons of white lightening which was horrible and gave you the worst hangover ever but gently caress it lol

I think all stills make white lightning. The stuff that makes liquor bearable is the aging and adjuncts added after distillation.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 22, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

McGiggins posted:

A yeastery?

amazon. like everything else

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why buy yeast when i can just get some from the national strategic yeast reserves (ur mom)

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
So! Thankfully managed to get off work a little early today and also picked up all the poo poo I needed to do a proper cider. Getting free apples always blindsides me, it's always at the point where my summer renos/projects are coming down to the wire and I'm strapped for time and cash. The only downside to delicious home grown apples is that the loving things won't keep, so you better deal with them almost as soon as you get them. Bruising is just awful on these, and I'm not at all careful when I pick them.

I realized today I still had the cider press I built last year. It was a complete failure, I used vertically laminated wood that cracked almost immediately but that was mostly my fault because I tried to just chuck a bunch of crab apples in there and make juice come out.

So, I shortened it a bunch and made the press part of it out of much sturdier wood. It still leaves a lot to be desired, but for something made from scaps it's okay.

The key, if you're using just softwood studs like I am, is to put a piece of steel or something against the spot the jack will press on. Otherwise you risk digging into the wood and cracking it. Pretty much anything will work, I had some sheet steel lying around so I cut a bit off.

I used a food processor to shred the apples before I chucked em in the press. Had to improvise a bit with a rubbermaid lid to catch the juice. It worked way better than expected.

This was the yield I got from only 4 gallons of whole apples, so the efficiency of this setup isn't actually TOO too bad.

There was definitely some deflection going on after a few pumps of the jack, and the apples weren't super dry when I took them out, but I can't ever find the time and will to actually make a decent press. It really wouldn't be hard.

This is what's left after pressing:

All in all, I managed to get like 4 gallons of juice. The guy at the wine supply place talked me out of heat pasteurizing and I picked up a bunch of campden tablets for like, 2 dollars. Also talked me into getting a hydrometer because who the gently caress knows what the apples had for sugar content. I could have gotten away with not adding any sugar at all, but I ended up putting a few cups in just to see this whole hydrometer thing in action. Ended up adding a bit of water to get the potential alcohol content back down. Flavour is strong as gently caress still. I've got the whole 4 gallons sitting overnight with the tablets in, I'll make my vented fermentation lid and add the yeast tomorrow.

I broke the bank and got some brass barbed fittings and rubber grommets to really do a nice vent install, so all in all between the bucket, lids, hoses, fittings, sugar, and brew stuff I'm in for like $50 Canadian.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Dude, you took the idea and loving RAN with it. Campden will be a lot better than pasteurization for flavor, I'm sure. I planted two apple tress a few years ago. This year I got 1 apple. I hope that means I'll get enough to make cider in a year or two.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

So! Thankfully managed to get off work a little early today and also picked up all the poo poo I needed to do a proper cider. Getting free apples always blindsides me, it's always at the point where my summer renos/projects are coming down to the wire and I'm strapped for time and cash. The only downside to delicious home grown apples is that the loving things won't keep, so you better deal with them almost as soon as you get them. Bruising is just awful on these, and I'm not at all careful when I pick them.

I realized today I still had the cider press I built last year. It was a complete failure, I used vertically laminated wood that cracked almost immediately but that was mostly my fault because I tried to just chuck a bunch of crab apples in there and make juice come out.

So, I shortened it a bunch and made the press part of it out of much sturdier wood. It still leaves a lot to be desired, but for something made from scaps it's okay.

The key, if you're using just softwood studs like I am, is to put a piece of steel or something against the spot the jack will press on. Otherwise you risk digging into the wood and cracking it. Pretty much anything will work, I had some sheet steel lying around so I cut a bit off.

I used a food processor to shred the apples before I chucked em in the press. Had to improvise a bit with a rubbermaid lid to catch the juice. It worked way better than expected.

This was the yield I got from only 4 gallons of whole apples, so the efficiency of this setup isn't actually TOO too bad.

There was definitely some deflection going on after a few pumps of the jack, and the apples weren't super dry when I took them out, but I can't ever find the time and will to actually make a decent press. It really wouldn't be hard.

This is what's left after pressing:

All in all, I managed to get like 4 gallons of juice. The guy at the wine supply place talked me out of heat pasteurizing and I picked up a bunch of campden tablets for like, 2 dollars. Also talked me into getting a hydrometer because who the gently caress knows what the apples had for sugar content. I could have gotten away with not adding any sugar at all, but I ended up putting a few cups in just to see this whole hydrometer thing in action. Ended up adding a bit of water to get the potential alcohol content back down. Flavour is strong as gently caress still. I've got the whole 4 gallons sitting overnight with the tablets in, I'll make my vented fermentation lid and add the yeast tomorrow.

I broke the bank and got some brass barbed fittings and rubber grommets to really do a nice vent install, so all in all between the bucket, lids, hoses, fittings, sugar, and brew stuff I'm in for like $50 Canadian.

:five:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I don't think your cider can be called hobowine dude. It's way too cool for that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's been almost 24 hours, so it's time to add the yeast!

After last year's mishap I had to figure out a way to let this ferment without exploding. I got some assorted plumbing fittings and some hose from the Home Depot, along with a wire grommet that I'm going to use as a seal. You could probably use an O-ring or just caulking honestly. Plumbing diameters are always weird, with totally bizarre and unexpected inside/outside diameters and threading. Drill a hole, use a file or just move the drill around until it's big enough to accommodate the fittings.

This is the top, I sprang for one with a hose barb. It's great. The rubber thing is the wire grommet, I had to stretch it out before it would fit.

It's fastened to the lid with this female coupler thing:

Obviously you want to tighten pretty hard to ensure a good seal, but not so hard as to bow out the grommet or crack the lid. Anyway, the yeast got activated in some 40c water then dumped into the bucket

This is the finished setup, everything wired into place to prevent it from getting knocked over or bumped.

Since the room I'd normally use for this is full of junk and furniture form the ongoing renos, I'm keeping this in the basement/cellar. Obviously not ideal for fermentation temperatures but it doesn't dip below 20 or so I think so it should be okay.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

you swore you werent going to spend money on this again...

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm all for your sperglord hobocider. Keep it up.

On the home front, orange wine seems to be almost done with primary fermentation. Tropican Twister has been going slow and steady since day 1. I wonder if it has something in it that is inhibiting the yeast slightly. It didn't have any preservatives listed on the label besides citric and ascorbic acid. I doubt they lowered the PH more than what was naturally in the orange juice, though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I really need to do this some time.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

The Saucer Hovers posted:

you swore you werent going to spend money on this again...

I'm going to be saying that and doing this exact thing every year in perpetuity. Maybe one day I'll have actual hard cider out of it, too!

12 hours after yeast added: no explosions, no active bubbling through the airlock either though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I'm going to be saying that and doing this exact thing every year in perpetuity. Maybe one day I'll have actual hard cider out of it, too!

12 hours after yeast added: no explosions, no active bubbling through the airlock either though.

On buckets like that i have had to run a finger of vasaline on the black rubber seal on the lid to get a good enough seal to be airtight. Might work.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
These buckets don't have seals, consensus on cider forums is that they're A-OK though. When I pushed down on the lid it would send air out the airlock so the losses through the seal are minimal. Just to be sure I made a seal with a tiny bead of silicon in the lid. Definitely burped more aggressively after I pushed on the lid. I think it's going to be a much longer fermentation because it's kind of cool in the cellar.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
It dosent even need to be sealed necessarily. You can have it open with a cloth over it to stop flies getting in. I think a layer of c02 forms on top or something i dont remember so well.

Best way to see if anything is happening is take hydrometer readings and see if the sugar is diminishing.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think the hydrometer shows maybe a 1/2% difference from start? Would make sense, I reckon the basement is about 15 degrees C so fermentation will be really slow. This morning when I opened it up there was no yeast in suspension but it's about 5 degrees warmer out now than earlier and I'm seeing traces of yeast on the top of the cider. Should get up to 30 degrees outside today, we'll see what kind of action I've got going on tonight.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Isaac posted:

It dosent even need to be sealed necessarily. You can have it open with a cloth over it to stop flies getting in. I think a layer of c02 forms on top or something i dont remember so well.

Best way to see if anything is happening is take hydrometer readings and see if the sugar is diminishing.

Yeah, I just get really excited to see my airlock bubbling like crazy. Its the simple things in life.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are the chances of this killing me or giving me botulism, keep in mind I am horrible at nearly everything I do.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

JebanyPedal posted:

What are the chances of this killing me or giving me botulism, keep in mind I am horrible at nearly everything I do.

As long as everything is pasteurized and the equipment is sterile. None.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thread is awesome.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Here's some hops I grew, its really easy to grow hops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applesnots posted:

As long as everything is pasteurized and the equipment is sterile. None.

Okay, this has instilled me with great confidence.