Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

im not suggesting that intel is going anywhere. just i think theres a good chance osx will have an arm release within 3-4 years

nothing is too stupid to put past apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
apple is incapable of making good decisions and they are not to be trusted

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

if apple goes arm on the macbooks they'll kill it.

but if the ipad is cheaper to produce they might well do that anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
at this point, surely the primary purpose of the macbook line is xcode

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SRQ posted:

if apple goes arm on the macbooks they'll kill it.

but if the ipad is cheaper to produce they might well do that anyway

apple's current arm processor is literally more powerful than the equivalent mobile Intel chip and eats less juice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

apple's current arm processor is literally more powerful than the equivalent mobile Intel chip and eats less juice

this is all games with power envelopes

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I have a cheese grater Mac and I want to buy a better video card. I guess I’ll buy a Radeon based on the Mojave web driver panic going on over at MacRumors.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rx580 and vega both work with literally zero issues

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nvidia drivers are a complete shitshow on anything but windows

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

pram posted:

rx580 and vega both work with literally zero issues

yeah there’s an rx580 on eBay I think I’ll get. hopefully I can live with the lack of bootscreen

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

pram posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

even in recent history there have been cases where updating windows without updating the nvidia driver first caused boot loops

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is all games with power envelopes

are you saying intel have a better sustained:peak performance ratio? because the peak (cold) performance looks better on the apple processors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DuckConference posted:

are you saying intel have a better sustained:peak performance ratio? because the peak (cold) performance looks better on the apple processors

definitely not

no cellphone chip is going to rival a 3.8 ghz xeon, sorry

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
today nbsd has discovered why different computers have different processors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

today nbsd has discovered why different computers have different processors

today people reading this thread discover that cellphone processors may not be ideal for laptop use

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

today people reading this thread discover that cellphone processors may not be ideal for laptop use

look at those goalposts fly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

look at those goalposts fly

???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this started with a discussion of arm chips in laptops, expanded to arm in the datacenter, and returned to arm in laptops.

a cellphone chip is not really gonna be a hit in either market

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at this point, surely the primary purpose of the macbook line is xcode

pretty much. are macs used professionally in any capacity at this point once you get past tech journalists and one man shop a/v production? there's a pretty strong contingent of networking computer touchers running macs that i've seen, but that's all that comes to mind. even for a/v stuff, once you move to things like avid and pro tools from the likes of adobe premiere and reaper, it's back to windows.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all the graphic designers i know still use macs because they're ~beTteR FoR gRaPhIC dEsIgN~

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

all the graphic designers i know still use macs because they're ~beTteR FoR gRaPhIC dEsIgN~

Helvetica still looks like a bag of farts on windows

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Pike posted:

Helvetica still looks like a bag of farts on windows

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

i mean surely that's just cargo culting at this point

prime mac market is hotels so they can put them in the reception and look ~~aesthetic~~

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cargo culting or "i know how to calibrate my monitor and run photoshop on mac iaint gonna learn windows fuk u" or both

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my daugher uses a drawing tablet with her win10 laptop and its constantly loving up switching to thinking its a mouse requiring reinstalling the drivers

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I use a 2017 macbook pro at work as my main computer and I hate it so much.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i look better when i'm using a mac

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I feel embarrassed for OSX every time I drag the little folder to the applications logo to install something.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I feel embarrassed for OSX every time I drag the little folder to the applications logo to install something.
i feel embarrassed for linux every time i do that because they manage to make the process even worse than that somehow.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

unlike the elegance of windows that just barfs poo poo in 100 different locations and adds 30 registry entries

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

app bundles are one of the few things that osx definitely has over windows and linux, i cringe every time i give an installer permission to totally gently caress me over just because it wants to plop a thing in program files

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

unlike the elegance of windows that just barfs poo poo in 100 different locations and adds 30 registry entries

mac users think WiX is actually a good thing lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
An app being a simple bundle isn't the same as the UI you use to have it added to your apps folder.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

An app being a simple bundle isn't the same as the UI you use to have it added to your apps folder.

wahh cry about something that matters

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

wahh cry about something that matters

It only has 2 usb C ports so I have to haul around a backpack full of dongles defeating the point of having a laptop in the first place.
It randomly picks a monitor arrangement for my 2 monitors despite them having different hardware IDs so I have to remap them 50% of the time I plug them in
If you get a window stuck off your monitor it's a huge pain in the rear end to fix it (windows key + arrow key is infinitely better)
Using a different meta key for copy and paste compared to when you're using control combos in bash
The terminal program is extremely mediocre
Brew loving sucks

The god drat thing sounds like a helicopter taking off if you use more than 5% CPU you can hear it from 20 yards away

The whole thing is just a pile of poo poo. Like I get it if you're a fan but have the guts to admit its stockholm syndrome.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

definitely not

no cellphone chip is going to rival a 3.8 ghz xeon, sorry

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/4

https://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2015q4/cpu2006-20151102-37929.html

The apple processor has a higher score at 403.gcc (which is the most nonshit part of specint as I recall) than a midrange intel consumer processor

obviously xeon can have a lot more cores if you want to focus on that aspect, but that's mostly not relevant to laptops

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

It only has 2 usb C ports so I have to haul around a backpack full of dongles defeating the point of having a laptop in the first place.
It randomly picks a monitor arrangement for my 2 monitors despite them having different hardware IDs so I have to remap them 50% of the time I plug them in
If you get a window stuck off your monitor it's a huge pain in the rear end to fix it (windows key + arrow key is infinitely better)
Using a different meta key for copy and paste compared to when you're using control combos in bash
The terminal program is extremely mediocre
Brew loving sucks

The god drat thing sounds like a helicopter taking off if you use more than 5% CPU you can hear it from 20 yards away

The whole thing is just a pile of poo poo. Like I get it if you're a fan but have the guts to admit its stockholm syndrome.

no those are all good points. next time i switch jobs i expect to have to choose between getting a dell/lenovo and losing respect from my teammates or getting a mbp with touchbar that i don't want.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Salt Fish posted:

i'm so glad no one actually listens to linux dorks when they try to talk about ui, they are clearly unequipped to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

are you kidding me the macos take on applications being self contained is so many leagues beyond the stupidity of windows "installing" stuff that it's laughable.

especially considering that program files and program files (x86) is still a loving thing.

Let's see

A: Download an installer, run the installer, which installs the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fartmonger, which puts shortcuts on desktop and start menu.
B: Drag Fartmonger.app into Applications. Applications folder on your dock contains it now.

You now want to uninstall the program.

A: Run the program uninstaller, which deletes the folder (sometimes it doesn't who knows!) and more often than not leaves data spewed out all over the place. You can do this either through installed programs, or an application provided uninstaller with a start menu shortcut.
B: Delete Fartmonger.app

(To be fair some macos apps leave kexts and stuff lying around which is still dorky but not nearly as dorky)

SRQ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 4, 2018

• Locked thread