Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UNRp7Wrog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fredflonston posted:

they look sick op.

this wont fit in my pc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fredflonston posted:

they look sick op.

cool jacket

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im looking into the recommended parts to build a gaming pc and apparently you dont get wi-fi or bluetooth unless you buy the ultra-premium motherboards lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

im looking into the recommended parts to build a gaming pc and apparently you dont get wi-fi or bluetooth unless you buy the ultra-premium motherboards lol

why would you want wireless on a desktop PC anyway

poty
Jun 21, 2008

because my router is in another room

poty fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 22, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
move the router then?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
wireless cards are super cheap. whats the problem here

poty
Jun 21, 2008

its just jarring to me that the recommended motherboard for a $1500 pc in 2018 doesnt have integrated wi-fi and you have to buy a separate thing. it feels like when you had to buy a soundblaster awe 64. my 2006 $500 mac mini had integrated wi-fi ffs

poty fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 22, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

good idea, buy a Mac

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

its just jarring to me that the recommended motherboard for a $2000 pc in 2018 doesnt have integrated wi-fi and you have to buy a separate thing. it feels like when you had to buy a soundblaster awe 64. my 2006 $500 mac mini had integrated wi-fi ffs

wifi doesn't work well inside of a metal box

in order to offer integrated wifi that didn't suck, they would either have to ship an ugly antenna dongle everyone hates, or sell you an integrated system that folds the antenna into the case (like your mac mini)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in order to offer integrated wifi that didn't suck, they would either have to ship an ugly antenna dongle everyone hates, or sell you an integrated system that folds the antenna into the case (like your mac mini)

also your desktop isn't going anywhere so it's perfectly fine and ideal to have it wired

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sounds like a good idea!!! i guess it would take engineering resources away from putting dumb leds everywhere so my computer looks like the movie tron

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i did that with my old pc in college

clear acrylic case, el wire, leds in every single fan

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the only good thing about modern cases are the thumbscrews

poty
Jun 21, 2008

that was a cheap shot ive done some research and wifi-gate is actually intels fault

wtf intel

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the only good thing about modern cases are the thumbscrews

yeah thumbscrews everywhere owns

also yeah smoka's got it right. i don't need wifi on my desktop so why make me pay for it on my motherboard? if i really want it i can either spend more on the motherboard or get an add-on card.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also holy poo poo $2000 for a PC in the year 2018 why are you bitching about spending an extra $50 on getting the premium motherboard or on a wifi card?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just run an ethernet cable where you need it to go

get a thing full of cable clips and just run it along the molding

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just run an ethernet cable where you need it to go

get a thing full of cable clips and just run it along the molding

Those power-line network things work really well, I have four of them in my home and they work much better than when I used wi-fi.

They are even two different brands and it still works.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah needing or even wanting wifi in a desktop is definitely a very weird edge case that is easily avoided any more

wifi is for devices that are intended to move around a lot and desktops aren't

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
not wanting to run cables in your rental apartment can't be that much of an edge case.

but until the technology stagnates as much as sound cards, i don't want it on my motherboard.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 23, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are a bunch of mobos w/ wifi that are cheap, but a lot of them are micro itx cause I guess wifi is for small computer.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not wanting to run cables in your rental apartment can't be that much of an edge case.

but i still don't want it on my motherboard.

it is an edge case because there are so many easy ways to get around it like just running a cable along the baseboard or moving the router or moving your desk or using powerline gear, none of which are difficult or involve anything that would be a problem in an apartment

plus, wifi would be really terrible to use on a desktop because more than likely you're going to have it underneath a desk or in a corner/against a wall or some place where the reception would be terrible anyway

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
what other cards do you need these days? most boards have everything but a discrete gfx card. maybe more usb, wifi....?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don't gently caress with cables.

i should try the power line thing though.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
being lazy isn't a valid use case for wifi

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

according to your own rhetoric, it's basically the only use case for any technology.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I really wanted to get a new video card, but the "bitcoin community" elevated prices beyond what I could ever afford. and now they're introducing a new generation that is not only inaccessible for normal people, it's enabling game companies to stop optimising things

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's looped back to the 1980s where only the financial elite can afford things

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

according to your own rhetoric, it's basically the only use case for any technology.

only if technology is your chosen way to make money

feel freel to use it all you want in your free time, just don't have any illusions that you're doing something worthwhile with it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

feel freel to use it all you want in your free time, just don't have any illusions that you're doing something worthwhile with it

straight up, your programming job is literally just data entry

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there has been a huge surge among computer touchers about how they're so smart and their IQ is so high

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
and what came of it? elon musk and $1200 consumer video cards

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
peter thiel making trillions of dollars and paying no taxes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
thousands of quislings packed into a lovely auditorium to see the new garbage

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if only my meltdown was nuclear

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
can't wait to watch a youtube video of the new nvidia cards where the gamer reviewer does ntohing but scream rape and racial slurs in front of thousands of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people who don't want wifi can just not screw on the antenna and those that do are gonna get one if they buy a separate cards so idk why an ugly antenna dongle matters in the slightest

• Locked thread