Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

You totally can learn to write properly as an adult. The trick is to improve the aesthetic experience of the whole text by adding more white spaces between words, and consistency in the basic elements that compose letters: slanted vertical lines at the same angle, the loop in a, b, d, g, o, p, q, and the arcs in h, n, m, u. You probably learned Zaner Bloser or D’Nealian script poorly in elementary school, because you were still working out how fingers fing and basic dexterity, and there's no reason that you can't relearn one properly now. On the other hand, if you're going to redo penmanship, why not learn something stylish?

Palmer script is what most people think of when they think of good handwriting. Spencerian script is fancier and slower, with a more 'formal tea party invitation vibe'. If you're willing to spend a little money, I personally endorse Getty-Dubay as a modern compromise which looks good and is easy to learn.

It does take some practice. Maybe 15 minutes a night going through a copybook and practicing forms, and another 15 just writing. And while anything better than pens stolen from hotels writes okay these days, the fountain pen thread is a rabbit hole. I can't claim I have good handwriting, but I definitely have better handwriting these days.

Before-random notes from grad school circa 2010.

After-opening to Dune, today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread